77 At least 82 police injured in Paris riots; violence spreads

posted at 8:18 am on November 27, 2007 by Bryan

Night two of the Paris riots:

Rampaging youths rioted for a second night in Paris’ suburbs, firing at officers and ramming burning cars into buildings. At least 77 officers were injured, a senior police union official said Tuesday.

The overnight violence was more intense than during three weeks of rioting in 2005, said the official, Patrice Ribeiro. He said that “genuine urban guerillas with conventional weapons and hunting weapons” were among the rioters…

Rioting first erupted in Villiers-le-Bel on Sunday night. It grew worse and spread Monday night to other towns north of Paris. Rioters hurled stones and petrol bombs at police, authorities said…

In Villiers-le-Bel, arsonists set fire to the municipal library and burned books littered its floor. Shops and businesses also were attacked and more than 70 vehicles were torched, authorities said.

Violence also was reported in four other towns north of Paris and on the outskirts of Villiers-le-Bel, suggesting that the rioting was spreading.

Having just faced down massive labor strikes, French President Nicholas Sarkozy now has to deal with intense riots by youths of undetermined ethnic extraction.

Comments

Muslim again?

boomer on November 27, 2007 at 8:24 AM

Darn those rampaging youths *shakes fist in air*!

Neo on November 27, 2007 at 8:30 AM

So, two teens, riding with no helmets at high speed on an unregistered motorcycle, crash and get killed. Sounds like a good enough reason to burn the town.

French weather forecast.

flipflop on November 27, 2007 at 8:35 AM

Any chance one of these ‘yoots’ looked a lot like Ralph Macchio?

Professor Blather on November 27, 2007 at 8:37 AM

Ahh, those wild and crazy French Youths.

Heh. That’s all the excuse I need to burn all sorts of things. Do you think the “Youths” purchased carbon offsets before they burned the town down? Because the last thing they need is ManBearPig after them.

mjk on November 27, 2007 at 8:58 AM

So, what does burning books in a library have to do with grievances other than endorsing fascism?

Egfrow on November 27, 2007 at 8:59 AM

They need to identify what group are doing this and deport them and their parents.

They are human cancer cells and must be cut out or the patient [France} will become one big malignant tumor that will metastasize though out all of Europe.

TheSitRep on November 27, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Rioters actually using firearms against the authorities? How did they get them in gun free eutopia?

The real question is do the French now have the fortitude to return fire? Not with rubber bullets, not with tear gas, not with water cannon, but with real, live military ammo?

Why do I think that any shenanigans like that happening here would result in return fire from the citizens?

ScottG on November 27, 2007 at 9:03 AM

The Europeans have all the fun. I demand open borders for muslim immigrants now.

thuja on November 27, 2007 at 9:04 AM

The legacy of an entitlement ideology cooked up by those guys smoking in cafes with the berets and black turtlenecks (and a loaf of bread in their bicycle basket.)

Hannibal Smith on November 27, 2007 at 9:28 AM

France is the test kitchen right now for what Muslim immigrants do to a society once they reach a critical mass level. The French better stop acting French for a while and clean up this mess that they’ve created.

Mojave Mark on November 27, 2007 at 9:30 AM

God I love this. I swear the stupider and stupider Europeans react in the face of the muslim invasion, the more it makes me genuinely happy to see them suffer for it.

thareb on November 27, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Youths!

Sorry for jumping to conclusions there…

saint kansas on November 27, 2007 at 9:41 AM

USA Today’s various descriptions of the “trouble-makers” ….

Rampaging youths, urban guerillas, two teens, rioters, arsonists, eight people, alienation from mainstream society.

Whew! For a minute there I thought they might have been Muslims, but USA Today has made it perfectly clear there were no Arab radicals involved in the violence.

PC cowardly ba$tards.

If they have the onions to try this on our soil, the jihadist brothers can expect quite a different reaction to “quell the violence”.

Viva la NRA.

fogw on November 27, 2007 at 9:48 AM

The French FM was on Charlie Rose last night. Not a single question thrown at him about the problem or the government reaction(or lack thereof)….just more clap trap about France retaking it’s ‘natural’ place in the world. How about France retaking France first?

Limerick on November 27, 2007 at 9:52 AM

I’ve been meaning to read “City of Saints”, if I remember the title correctly, a book about a massive flotilla from the third world that lands in Europe and overwhelms it.

May as well not bother, since I can watch it on TV now.

ticticboom on November 27, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Darn those rampaging youths *shakes fist in air*!

You rampaging youths get off ma pelouse!

Do keep in mind that’s a Reuters “photo” — they may have “sharpened” it by Photoshopping out some flames and charred bodies.

saint kansas on November 27, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Just some practicing going on.

Testing their muscle.

Seeing the response.

BTW- Was the burned-down library named Le Petit Alexandria by any chance?

And how many government-issued Korans were inside?

As the Muslim general- early in Islam’s imperialistic onslaught- said of a larger library in a newly-conquered city:

If the books here agree with the Koran, we don’t need them; if they disagree with it, we don’t want them: -burn them all!”

Merde!

profitsbeard on November 27, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Camp of the Saints by Jean Raspail. He was widely criticized as racist for this work and, well, it probably wasn’t all PC/left hysteria. But speaking of culture rather than race or ethnicity, his predictions aren’t all that preposterous. I’m sure he’s somewhere nodding slowly and smiling with vindication right now.

Last I heard, he was still refusing to learn English.

Hannibal Smith on November 27, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Last I heard, he was still refusing to learn English.

Nancy Pelosi kindy asks that you forward his resume.

saint kansas on November 27, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Nancy Pelosi kindy asks that you forward his resume.

Heh. He’s an old-school French nationalist (though not of the LePen variety afaik.) I think he was an anthropologist as well. Maybe he’s the French Michael Savage!

Hannibal Smith on November 27, 2007 at 10:27 AM

If the library is for the local “youths”, do not rebuild it. 77 officers injured!!!! Can you imagine that happening here? All programming would be interrupted, nothing else on TV. Would dominate the news coverage, the presidential race, water cooler discussion. The border fence would be completed by the end of the year, immigration reform would be dead. What the hell is wrong with the frogs anyway? Everytime I get depressed about our situation, I just need to look across the pond to feel a little relieved. That might be us in 20-30 years, though.

RW Wacko on November 27, 2007 at 11:12 AM

I read an interview with the author a year or so ago. Asked what he foresaw for France, he said there won’t be a France, but rather fortified enclaves of “them” and fortified enclaves of “us”. Very dark ages.

dhimwit on November 27, 2007 at 11:14 AM

youths of undetermined ethnic extraction

Heh

conservnut on November 27, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Those crazy “Asians” causing trouble again. Imagine that.

m1a1usmc on November 27, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Hmmm…. any short Corsicans around?

Time for a “whiff of grapeshot”?

Romeo13 on November 27, 2007 at 11:32 AM

There’s a character in it very reminiscent of Edward Said. An African intellectual who is subconsciously racist but is applauded by French society.

May as well not bother, since I can watch it on TV now.

Read it anyway, it’s quite good.

aengus on November 27, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Be careful what you wish for

gmoonster on November 27, 2007 at 11:34 AM

Makes for great TV, tho. Did they show the police chief getting beat by the muslim thugs when he tried to surrender? I missed it. I bet the french are converting to islam by the thousands to stop getting whipped again.

countywolf on November 27, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Well, they did once manage to sink Greenpeace’s boat, so they can’t be all bad!

Frozen Tex on November 27, 2007 at 11:38 AM

the youts strike again.

ROP!

jharada on November 27, 2007 at 12:03 PM

How desperately the French need to remember how to get really , really, really angry!!!

jeanie on November 27, 2007 at 12:09 PM

jeanie on November 27, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Yes, rude just won’t cut it anymore.

Frozen Tex on November 27, 2007 at 12:16 PM

A thought experiment: What if the “youths” were to pull that in Russia? What if KGB/Thug/Czar Putin is the only leader with the b@lls to crush this?

dhimwit on November 27, 2007 at 12:22 PM

I hope Sarkozy has the les ballz to crush them…and I mean CRUSH them.

SouthernGent on November 27, 2007 at 12:23 PM

“I hope Sarkozy has the les ballz to crush them…and I mean CRUSH them.”

Crush his balls? Why would he do that?

(pause)

Oh, I see.

I’ll get my coat.

Apeking on November 27, 2007 at 12:46 PM

just more clap trap about France retaking it’s ‘natural’ place in the world.

And what place might that be? They reinvent government every 50 years or so. Well only after they have wars that pretty much knock them into being forced to reinvent government. That’s it! They are taking their natural place in the world. This is just the start of their next government changing war.

jmarcure on November 27, 2007 at 12:55 PM

That might be us in 20-30 10-15 years, though.

RW Wacko on November 27, 2007 at 11:12 AM

…at the rate we are going in securing our border.

91Veteran on November 27, 2007 at 1:06 PM

This is what I will expect to hear at my door if I ever move to France.

“Knock knock.”

“Who’s there?”

“Me. I kill you.”

Hawkins1701 on November 27, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Didn’t they used to have some contraption over there that these youts might identify with on some…er..subliminal cultural level? I think it was called le guillotine.

1977 The last official use of the guillotine in France. On the 10th of September Hamida Djandoubi is executed. (May it never be used again.)

NTWR on November 27, 2007 at 1:23 PM

I’m sure there is a French surrender joke in there somewhere…

doriangrey on November 27, 2007 at 1:23 PM

Al Reauters is stepping up to eulogize one of the “youths” who got killed in the motorcycle crash. Apparently he had a blog that they scoured for material.

“…confident teenager scornful of conformists”

“he loved his mum and, like most youths his age, he was looking for a steady girlfriend”

“‘Damn, you make me cry,’ someone calling himself khalil wrote on Chamoo’s blog. ‘Don’t worry. You will be revenged.’”

forest on November 27, 2007 at 1:41 PM

posted at 8:18 am on November 27, 2007 by Bryan

Violence also was reported in four other towns north of Paris

Muslim.

jaime on November 27, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Many youths in the poor and ethnically diverse suburbs, where unemployment runs up to 40 percent,

I have a French friend who was explaining to me how people in France take advantage of the generous social benefits, and that many work for 6 months, then don’t work for 6 months. That 40% figure could easily be much smaller, me thinks, if they actually wanted to work.

gmoonster on November 27, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Maybe they will use on of these soon…

“Don’t Tase me, frere!

Frozen Tex on November 27, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Since the riots started two days ago, 120+ police have been injured – many by gunfire. In the 2005 riots (lasting three weeks) about 200 police were injured.

French officials are vowing to clamp down on the affected areas to prevent the spread, but I’m not exactly hopeful that they’ll succeed.

Meanwhile, one of the two kids who died in the incident that sparked the latest rioting had a blog.

More coverage here.

lawhawk on November 27, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Juvenile Jihad.

infidel4life on November 27, 2007 at 3:32 PM

“Oh, my – we’ve so disaffected these youth, we deserve to have our libraries burned…”

eeyore on November 27, 2007 at 3:36 PM

These ” youths ” need a good spanking.

coleporter on November 27, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Even Fox News is sticking to the term “disenchanted youth.”

infidel4life on November 27, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Don’t have anything to add. Just wanted to see if I could post on my Sidekick. Lol, iPhone.

Asher on November 27, 2007 at 5:08 PM

How many more cops do the Fr*gs have to send to a hospital before they get serious?

Or do they need to send several cops, firefighters, EMTS and reporters to the morgue before they wake up?

Perhaps they need to deploy the Foreign Legion – let a bunch of Irish, Scots, English, Belgian, Canadians, Americans and whoever else felt a need for anonymity settle the matter.

They way to prevent the 2008 French Intifada is to quash the 2007 intifada….

darkpixel on November 27, 2007 at 7:04 PM

How about France retaking France first?

Limerick on November 27, 2007 at 9:52 AM

I completely agree with you except you’re forgetting they are the French, a nation that had to be liberated by the US and its allies in two world wars…should we bail their a**es out again? After all they have been a total thorn in our side in the UN with Iraq (et all) for some time now, not to mention how condescending they are to American visitors to their country and to the US in general!

Liberty or Death on November 27, 2007 at 8:20 PM

The 4 remaining cops in France are now afraid to go back to work.

TheSitRep on November 27, 2007 at 9:45 PM

These ” youths ” need a good spanking.

coleporter on November 27, 2007 at 4:12 PM

These ” youths ” need a good spanking straffing by machine gun fire.

TheSitRep on November 27, 2007 at 9:48 PM

If ever “a whiff of grapeshot” was needed in Paris, now is the time. If Sarkosy does not do it then France and Europe are very likely to be lost to humanity sooner and subtler than anyone imagines.

BL@KBIRD on November 27, 2007 at 11:16 PM

saint kansas on November 27, 2007 at 10:01 AM

I’m sure they needed both the flames and bodies to paste into Israeli-lebanon/west bank photos…

BadBrad on November 28, 2007 at 6:37 AM

I think the French cops need to start shooting the rioters and make a ton of arrests. Why are they holding back?

dogsoldier on November 28, 2007 at 7:06 AM

USA Today, not asking the questions most reporters should.

Youths, many of them Arab and black children of immigrants, again appeared to be lashing out at police and other targets seen to represent a French establishment they feel has left them behind.

“I don’t think it’s an ethnic problem,” Wiart said. “Most of all it is youths who reject all state authority. They attack firefighters, everything that represents the state.”

Yep. Just a bunch of Arab and black teenage anarchists. What’s unusual about that? However, where have I heard the story before of people of this ethnic persuasion attacking firefighters and EMTs? Hmmmm… *scratches head*

Sultry Beauty on November 28, 2007 at 5:16 PM