Video: A geography lesson for Keith Olbermann

posted at 10:49 am on November 26, 2007 by Bryan

NBC madman Keith Olbermann often makes a point of showcasing his alleged intelligence by making obscure references that aren’t funny (and are really just a pale immitation of Dennis Miller’s trademark recondite allusions), but mostly by disparaging the intelligence of others. During the pre-game to last night’s Patriots-Eagles game, Olbermann chided Broncos’ kicker Todd Saurbrun for kicking and punting to dangerous Bears’ return man Devin Hester. True, kicking to Hester is a bad idea. But so is putting Denver, CO on the wrong side of the Rocky Mountains.

Olby:

Do not kick it Hester. Do not kick it to Hester. Do they get the highlights west of the Rockies?

Of course they do. They also get the highlights east of the Rockies, which is where the city of Denver is actually located.

denver-rockies.jpg

Comments

He’s an idiot.

OT: Bryan, have you seen this?

amerpundit on November 26, 2007 at 10:52 AM

What a turd.

journeyscarab on November 26, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Is NBC really so void of talent and intellect that they must keep this dolt around?

rplat on November 26, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Olberdouche went to the Miss Teen South Carolina School of Geography.

KelliD on November 26, 2007 at 10:56 AM

The idiot probably gets lost playing Candyland.

fogw on November 26, 2007 at 10:57 AM

I like the accompanying graphic. Nice touch :)

jdpaz on November 26, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Devin Hester: “The Best Person in the World!”

liberrocky on November 26, 2007 at 11:00 AM

I don’t understand why the NFL even has this segment. Is it the “Kick A Guy When He’s Down” segment? Yesterday’s was the first I saw (and last) and I thought it to be cruel. Imagine how a player must feel, on top of poor play (including the rest of the team that couldn’t tackle Hester), to have it ridiculed to the entire viewing audience but a jerk who has probably never donned the helmet. A person that NBC, for some reason, has given “power” to. Even threw his pen at him at the end.

Collingsworth’s physical reaction to the whole thing seemed to mirror my feelings. He wanted no part of Olberdouche’s rant.

ej_pez on November 26, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Shouldn’t the map have shown Olbermann in outer space?

pat on November 26, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Does e-mail to NBC Sports still bounce back as undeliverable? I’d really like to remind them why I don’t watch Sunday Night Football.

Blacklake on November 26, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Dude, you’re posting about Keith Olbermann misspeaking?

Enrique on November 26, 2007 at 11:06 AM

“Esoteric references” = a badly imitated obscure voice from O Brother, Where art Thou? Olberdouche thinks someone can catch this, but he doesn’t know where Denver lies vis a vis the continental divide?

Any notion that this guy is intelligent have long, long since been quashed.

Jaibones on November 26, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Come on, guys, everyone knows that everything between New York and LA is just a big blurry place full of illiterate rednecks. Who cares where Denver is, exactly? It’s not like it’s an important or large city.

Olbermann doesn’t need to know where Denver is. He’s too smart and full of nuance for that.

mjk on November 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Par.

Most of the game commentators spend 75% of their time walking a starting comment back into reason. I’ve noticed recently that they’ll blurt something out and then awkwardly phrase the rest of the statement to complete a thought.

It’s not easy talking unscripted for several hours. I regretfully do not faul Uber-douche for mixing up east/west.

I do like AP’s graphic though.

natesnake on November 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Why do you keep giving this turd publicity? You’re only giving him more ratings from curious conservatives and more respect and credibility from the LLLs (loony left liberals.)

AlexB on November 26, 2007 at 11:13 AM

I like slamming Uber-douche with the best of them, but this is pretty weak tea. It ranks right up there with chiding someone on spelling errors.

Also, I incorrectly credited AP for the graphic. Thanks to Bryan.

natesnake on November 26, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Do not watch the OlberDork. Do not watch the OlberDork. Does anyone in their right mind still watch NBC or MSNBC anymore?

Tom Blogical on November 26, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Pretty weak criticism if you ask me. Don’t lower yourself to his level of childishness.

Olbermann is a dink – let him drown in his own idiocy.

Dr. Gecko on November 26, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Note to Keith:
Because I suspect you don’t know the difference…
This is not your backside

trubble on November 26, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Bathtub boy: Do NOT open your yap….do NOT open your yap….

bikermailman on November 26, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Nice catch, Bryan.

Re natesnake: So what? Olby attacks conservatives for the dumbest reasons, so he better be perfect himself.

Ian on November 26, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Ian on November 26, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Exactly. I guess some folks around here have gone vegan, because they’re turning down some juicy red meat.

Bryan on November 26, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Nice catch, Bryan.

Ian on November 26, 2007 at 11:28 AM

I’ll take “Agreeing with The Schwartz” for 200, Alex.

ScottMcC on November 26, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Not quite up there with Dennis Miller’s “Plantagenets” quip when he was doing Monday Night Football.

flipflop on November 26, 2007 at 11:34 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever watched the turd, what an awful voice!

4shoes on November 26, 2007 at 11:34 AM

NBC is just trying everything within their grasp to project some legitimacy onto the OLby-scumbag. They will not succeed long term. They may have success turning him into a comedian though. As viewers laugh AT him. That is within the relm of possibilities.

Griz on November 26, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Bryan at 11:31 AM

Yea, but making fun of olberdouche is like making fun of a retard. Easy, but sad.

I blocked MSNBC on my TV about a year ago, and have not missed it since.

Mazztek on November 26, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Love the screengrab.

MadisonConservative on November 26, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Ian on November 26, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Bryan on November 26, 2007 at 11:31 AM

I’m just calling it the way I see it. I love the steak tar-tar but considering the inane, sack-drunk, semi-conscience football commentary that comes out of Uber-nut’s coleagues, he may be above par for errors.

Just saying.

natesnake on November 26, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Olberdork guest starred on the Simpsons last night as himself doing a takeoff on his stupid “Worst Person” schtik. I’m still not ready to give up on the Simpsons, though, this has brought me one step closer however…

bspoogeferd on November 26, 2007 at 11:39 AM

He was on yesterday’s episode of the Simpson’s yesterday. If I recall correctly, I think Michelle now shares the ‘Worst person in the world’ award with Marge Simpson.

Canadian Infidel on November 26, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Remember, “west” is left of the Rockies.

Shy Guy on November 26, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Remember, “west” is left of the Rockies.

Ahhhh, but what if you are Canadian?

It makes the mind reel.

natesnake on November 26, 2007 at 11:46 AM

bspoogeferd on November 26, 2007 at 11:39 AM

He was on Fox?

Rick on November 26, 2007 at 11:46 AM

It’s completely fair to dislike Olbermann for his politics – but in his original capacity as a sports-guy (ESPN) he was really good, funny, and very knowledgeable. He was star at ESPN.

His mistake was leaving Sports – too bad for everyone.

jake-the-goose on November 26, 2007 at 11:46 AM

“esoteric references?”
I’ve seen O Brother Where Art Thou at least a half dozen times ( I know, I know) and I don’t have a clue as to what scene he’s refering to.
The line between obscure and crankery has been crossed.

billy on November 26, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Chris Collinworth hated his rant, I doubt Olberman will be around very long.

Theworldisnotenough on November 26, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Huh, I thought for sure he was doing a Bullwinkle impression, and a pretty good one at that.

swami on November 26, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Only Keith Olbermann can make an idiotic reference about Denver being “west of the Rockies” and 10 seconds later try to attempt to make Chris Collinsworth feel dumb for not knowing what lame character bit he was portraying.

What I don’t like about Olbermann is he think he is alot of things he’s really not. He thinks he’s Frank Caliendo with his lame impressions, but he’s not. He thinks he’s smarter, when it comes to the sports world, than Bob Costas and Chris Collinsworth combined, but he repeatedly gets schooled by them every Sunday and really should only be bringing them their coffee when they want it. He can’t tie Costa’s and Collinsworth’s shoe laces when it comes to sports. On top of that, he runs a daily political propoganda show, where he thinks he’s a political genius, but proves every night he doesn’t know squat.

Keith, the laughter you hear nightly in TV-land is not coming from people laughing with you, it’s coming from people laughing at you!

Planet Boulder on November 26, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Why waste your time with this ‘olby’ jerk. Watch NFL Network after the afternoon game until the start of the evening game. You get highlights and ‘Primetime’ too. Of course coach Mariucci and Rich Eisen are there to temper Dion. But it is much more entertaining, informative and easier on the gut than putting up with dumb ass NBC.

countywolf on November 26, 2007 at 12:08 PM

I liked both Olbermann and Patrick on ESPN, too. Too bad he is a putz. I doubt most people know where the state of Colorado is on a map of the US, though. He does try to SOUND smart by saying “west of the Rockies”, like he knows if it is east or west of the Rockies, however. I’d cut him some slack here. His bigger issue is that he is a complete douchebag.

RW Wacko on November 26, 2007 at 12:10 PM

The line between obscure and crankery has been crossed.

billy on November 26, 2007 at 11:53 AM

This was more like “O Brother Where Art Thy Brain.”

James on November 26, 2007 at 12:17 PM

NO! Denver is WEST of the Rockies. KARL ROVE had the maps changed as part of his insidious plot to ROO00LE THE WEEERRRRLLLLD!

ronsfi on November 26, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Do not give a TV show to Olberman. Do not give a TV show to Olberman. Do not give a TV show to Olberman

Mallard T. Drake on November 26, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Yes. They are.

Sometimes I think Olby’s key demographics are prison inmates and weed-smoking slackers playing hooky from school.

Then I realized: WHOA, given his anemic cable ratings, that’s wayyyy too big a demographic. Probably more like daily Kos addicts and Code Pink mah jongg games.

Always Right on November 26, 2007 at 12:21 PM

And whats even worse…

Hester was shut down a couple of weeks ago by the RAIDERS!!

Hester himself is dangerous, but the rest of his team does not block effectivly for him… so if you get downfeild and cover a bit… you CAN shut him down…

But… thats Football knowledge… somthing Olby dunce does not appear to have…

Romeo13 on November 26, 2007 at 12:30 PM

I will either mute or change the channel when this guy comes on. He’s a total buzz-kill.

budorob on November 26, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Jaibones on November 26, 2007 at 11:08 AM

BINGO! Half the fun of listening to Dennis Miller is the BYOB factor: Bring-Your-Own-Bibliography. He rarely stops to explain things that whiz by in his encyclopedic repertoire of references and touchstones.

I’ve lived in this fine city “west” of the Rockies for 18 years now. The mountains are on the left as you head south to north. (Note to Keith “Rand McNally” Olmernac: North is up, West is left, East is right, South is down. I’ve just saved you a few hundred on a GPS device, genius.)

Captain Scarlet on November 26, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I dont really enjoy watching any of the four guys NBC puts on with Oberdork. I’m hoping they dont get any more Pats games.

dogsoldier on November 26, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Remember, “west” is left of the Rockies.

Ahhhh, but what if you are Canadian?

natesnake on November 26, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Our Eskimo neighbors to the south!

Shy Guy on November 26, 2007 at 12:40 PM

What a dunce.

Zorro on November 26, 2007 at 12:45 PM

If it’s Best Foods Mayo west of the Rockies and Hellman’s east of the Rockies, what is it in the Rockies?

MamaAJ on November 26, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Pretty much sums it up

Kini on November 26, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Olbermann is a tool, but Chris Collinsworth is the worse. I also can’t stand the smug Bob Costas. Frankly I have trouble listening to any of the pre and post-game shows because they are constantly repeating the same tired cliches. The people calling the games are also devoid of talent. This is what happens when you keep expanding the sports leagues, the amount of talent available on the field and in the broadcast booth becomes weak and boring.

deadbackpacker on November 26, 2007 at 1:19 PM

ZOMG WHY ISN’T THIS A TOP PICK YET?????////??

treyevans on November 26, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Is it any coincidence that NBC’s pregame show has such poor ratings? Nobody who wants to watch a football game needs or wants to be subjected to Keith Olbermann’s sarcasm and child like taunting before watching a game. Olbermann thinks it great fun to ridicule anyone who disagrees with him. When he switches to sports commentary, he can’t help being who he is. He has to be sarcastic and insulting and if he has to find a football player to insult, Olbermann just can’t help himself. Everybody knows somebody from his middle school class who felt the need to needle others and insult others. Fortunately most people outgrow this beahvioral problem when they are about 15 years old. Olbermann never did.

Larraby on November 26, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Dude, I bet even Bush knew that.

Seixon on November 26, 2007 at 1:36 PM

MamaAJ on November 26, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Hell’s Best?

Shy Guy on November 26, 2007 at 1:55 PM

hung like a light switch… or was it hung like a thumb tack?

Sergei on November 26, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Former and failed ESPN jock-sniffers have trouble with geography. I think that it has to do with the impeded air-flow, caused by the jock-straps.

Good work, Olbermann – breathe deeply.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 26, 2007 at 2:03 PM

I can’t take listening to his voice…it’s like he’s trying to be a funny Tom Brokawl or something.

It is highly annoying.

benrand on November 26, 2007 at 3:09 PM

I never watch the pre-game…I’m watching ESPN News until 815pm then switch to NBC…at halftime…It’s back to ESPN News…

OLBEAJERK…is a moron…and traitor to the USA…won’t watch or listen to him…so I no idea what he said…

areseaoh on November 26, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Dude, I bet even Bush knew that.

Seixon on November 26, 2007 at 1:36 PM

We’ll never know because he lies, so that people can die…

Rick on November 26, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Apparently, Olbermann hasn’t been olber there.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on November 26, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Anyone heard a game on the radio on the Westwood One with Dan Reeves as a color commentator? Man, that’s an accent harder to wade through than the Okefenokee Swamp!

Here’s something to liven up your next Sunday: have a drink every time a color commentator (usually a former player or caoch) uses the phrase “No question about it…” or sometimes, just “no question.” Kinda like a Jack Bauer “D*mmit” frequency of occurrence.

Captain Scarlet on November 26, 2007 at 6:43 PM

The continental divide is in his head.

TheSitRep on November 26, 2007 at 6:52 PM

I really don’t mind this guy having his little show on MSNBC. But when he starts messing up football… it bothers me.

bigbeas on November 26, 2007 at 8:27 PM

p.s. I miss Rush on ESPN

bigbeas on November 26, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Olberman: The dumbest person in the wwooooooooorrrrrrrlllllllddddd…..!

HadaAbeche on November 26, 2007 at 8:53 PM