Oh no he didn’t: Mitt links Rudy, Hillary to “New York State of Mind”

posted at 7:06 pm on November 26, 2007 by Allahpundit

This type of regional demagoguery is a lot more effective coming from a guy who isn’t from Massachusetts. Dude:

ny-som.jpg

Let’s see what we’ve got by way of evidence. Rudy and Hillary are both pro-choice, just like Mitt was until two years ago and like most of the people are in the state he governed. Rudy and Hillary both take the federalist position on gay marriage, as does lifelong conservative Fred Thompson. And Rudy once said he liked being thought of as “very liberal.” Are there any old statements in that vein in Mitt’s closet? Let’s see what we can mine from the Log Cabin Republicans’ snark ad on this, a day when Mitt was busy scolding Mike Huckabee for being insufficiently Reagan-esque.

I guess responding to attacks on NYC is going to be my side project for as long as Rudy’s in the race. So be it.

Comments

obligatory link

bnelson44 on November 26, 2007 at 7:14 PM

This election season is waaaay toooo looooong. However, it looks like we’re entering the stupid phase of it. Fear the thought of what Oct. 2008 will look like.

Entelechy on November 26, 2007 at 7:16 PM

New York state of mind,break out the musical,West Side Story,(yes I know,the stage hands are on strike).

This video of Mitt,seriously is it a joke,please o please
tell me it’s not real!

canopfor on November 26, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Is that Mitt’s position this week? Has he changed it yet?

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 26, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Meanwhile, a few hours north in Massachusetts…………
Gay marriage, Illegal sanctuaries,high taxes, and the totally Liberal “State” of mind.

Hening on November 26, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Ha ha- two RINOs arguing over who’s less un-conservative. It’s like watching two Special Olympics participants argue over who’s least disabled.

But Allah, I’m not sure it’s correct to characterize Rudy’s position on abortion as federalist- he’s steadfastly refused to give a straight answer on whether or not he thinks Roe v. Wade should be overturned or not. One’s posistion can’t really be characterized as “federalist” if he can’t say if states should have the final say or not.

But then Mitt went from pro-choice to federalist to uber-pro life in the space of a single campaign, so he doesn’t have much to say about it in my opinion.

Hollowpoint on November 26, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Seriously to beat Rudy dont talk about new york just show that damn video of him in a dress over and over again

Thats what the dems are going to do

William Amos on November 26, 2007 at 7:26 PM

This election is waaaay toooo looooog…
Entelechy on November 26,2007 at 7:16PM.

Entelechy:Have yee faith,the democrats somehow,
somewhere will scr!w up,because they
can’t shut up,they could still use
more rope though.haha

canopfor on November 26, 2007 at 7:26 PM

“Go back to Massachusetts, pinko!”

- Homer Simpson

aengus on November 26, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Allah,

I think its time to break out the Frank Sinatra recording.

toot suite!!

Always Right on November 26, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Mitt for himself on his own record–
Man alive, two for five.

He had to have produced himself MORE ads–
PLEASE, bring them out from his own war chest!

LOL

maverick muse on November 26, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Hollowpoint on November 26, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Rudy is not running for a position on the SCOTUS. So, his position on Roe is not relevant. He said he would not use Roe as a litmus test in selecting judges (something that would surely preclude confirmation), but would select strict constructionalist judges such as Roberts and Alito (i.e., judges that would overturn Roe). So, it’s a distinction without a difference. In fact, those candidates who are voicing strident opposition to Roe are digging themselves into a hole that will make their candidates confirmation in a Democratic Senate all that more difficult. Rudy is being a politcian so that he can effect change and actually get his guy on the court if given an opportunity. Think Justice Ted Olson.

tommylotto on November 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM

tommylotto on November 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM

And when (not if) the Dems block an Olson nomination, who does he nominate? Are we really supposed to believe he’ll fight to nominate someone who’d rule in a way that contradicts his own positions on abortion, guns, etc? I know that you view everything though Rudy-colored glasses, but for the rest of us there’s reason to doubt that he would.

Hollowpoint on November 26, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Mitt really shouldn’t throw stones like this. He certainly trimmed his positions on issues like abortion to have any chance of getting elected in Massachusetts. Not that there is anything wrong with that – we need an electable Republican. The alternative is is very unpleasant. Nevertheless, I think Mitt’s press release violates Reagan’s rule regarding unfairly criticizing fellow Republicans.

cool breeze on November 26, 2007 at 7:49 PM

This video of Mitt,seriously is it a joke,please o please
tell me it’s not real!

canopfor on November 26, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Rombot says, “This is obviously a fake ad! Fraud! Thompson once paid his son to be a consultant on his campaign. That’s the real scandal. Fraud! has a hot wife who wants to be first lady. Don’t watch that video. I said Don’t Watch That Video!”

Bill C on November 26, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Mitt supports a Federalist approach and not a life amendment. Despite the clip being edited to make him look as bad as possible, where is the flip-flop? I dont see it.

I’m not trying to return to the ‘time of Reagan-Bush’ is such a vague statement. I have no idea what it means, edited in such a way. What was the question? taxes, abortion, Iraq? Who knows?

Resolute on November 26, 2007 at 8:03 PM

So now Mitt is stealing Fred’s bold words?

Meh.

MadisonConservative on November 26, 2007 at 8:06 PM

It is from his debate with Ted Kennedy. I’m sure you can find the whole thing in all it’s glory on Youtube, where you will discover by its context that it pretty much means what it says.

Spirit of 1776 on November 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM

That doesn’t stop the annual BoSox/Yankee war; why should it stop Romney and Giuliani from tearing each other’s throats out? There is a reason why New York isn’t considered part of New England :-)

I’ll get the popcorn.

steveegg on November 26, 2007 at 8:20 PM

Done & done!

Stephen M on November 26, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Rudy sees himself as conservative outside of New Yauk? Who does he think he’s kidding? Maybe if he says it often and loud enough he’ll start believing it, ala ‘CSdevens’ style of hourly and daily spouting his crap, er rap. I seriously doubt there’s any great numbers outside NYC that think he’s anything but a liberal. If anything he’ll get the ‘anybody but Hillary’ vote, just like Georgey boy got the ‘anybody but Kerry’ vote.

countywolf on November 26, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Am I dreaming all this?

How did Rudy Giuliani ever get to be the Republican front runner?

It would be like Zell Miller being the democrat front runner.

Or maybe like Hitchens being named Pope of the Catholic church.

Some where in between those two.

I think I got it bracketed pretty good anyway.

MB4 on November 26, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Mitt supports a Federalist approach and not a life amendment.
Resolute on November 26, 2007 at 8:03 PM

No, that was his position earlier this year. He’s since changed his position (again) to support the life amendment.

Hollowpoint on November 26, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Am I dreaming all this?

How did Rudy Giuliani ever get to be the Republican front runner?

This is getting very tedious. You’re not obliged to comment on every Giuliani thread, MB4. Just like csdeven’s not obliged to comment on every Fred thread. You don’t like him. We get it.

Allahpundit on November 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM

him in a dress over and over again

Thats what the dems are going to do

William Amos on November 26, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Oh I can double damn guarantee you they gots a lot better stuffs than that!

Oh my.

MB4 on November 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Allahpundit on November 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM

I am trying to save the cheerleader Republican party and America.

I took an oath to the constitution years ago. They did not say anything about that oath having an expiration date.

MB4 on November 26, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Romney is just another pinhead haircut. He ought to know (as a former Republican Governor of Massachusetts) that you cannot be a Utah-type Conservative and have a prayer of winning in NY, Mass., CT, NJ, and even Pa.

Hilts on November 26, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Mitt is just playing to the initial primary voters. Iowa, NH, SC…..the ‘no-salsa from NuYawkCity’ crowd. It all will just get thrown right back in our faces come the general election. Rudy bagging Mitt, or Mitt bagging Rudy, or Tancredo bagging both of them. I hate this personality stuff. We need the party to win in Nov…not MeMitt, or MeRudy, or MeFred. Wow, what have I been smoking?

Limerick on November 26, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Wow, what have I been smoking?

Limerick on November 26, 2007 at 9:01 PM

Loco weed?

You should smoke A & C like me.

They never make you loco, although some in the medical community say it can make some tedious.

MB4 on November 26, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Hollowpoint on November 26, 2007 at 8:45 PM

How do you keep up with Mitt’s change of policy and direction? Do you have a computer dedicated to that? I know most of his flip-flops, but you keep finding another every other week. I just don’t have the time. That guy is exhausting, it is like keeping track of Clinton’s campaign money and where that comes from.
Kudos to you.

right2bright on November 26, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Imagine, Mitt the man that ran to the left of Kennedy, when Kennedy called him a Reagan Republican; sniveling about Rudy and Hillary being the one and the same.
It was Mitt who asked: “Has anyone ever seen Rudy and Hillary together? Are you sure they are not the same person.”

right2bright on November 26, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Especially hilarious since Hillary is only a New Yorker in name, basically a carpetbagger who seized the opportunity to grab an open Senate seat in a heavily democratic state.

William F. Buckley Jr. is from New York – does that make him a Hillary clone too?

LagunaDave on November 26, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Listen, let me go back to the gun thing because it’s not an, an issue, and these are not issue papers. The gun culture, it’s not a gun culture, it’s a mainstream culture. It’s emblematic of a really important element of the conservative psyche. They’re hunters, they’re sportsmen, it’s a lifestyle thing. They’re Constitutionalists. And it wasn’t that Rudy was just for gun control. He was hostile to gun owners and hostile to the Second Amendment. He’s the only mayor that sued gun companies. He blamed five Southern states for the troubles that New York was having with guns. He was the only mayor who bragged about running around the country in support of Clinton’s gun control.
- Mary Matalin

MB4 on November 26, 2007 at 9:32 PM

- Mary Matalin, aka spokesmen for Fred Thompson.

Spirit of 1776 on November 26, 2007 at 9:40 PM

- Mary Matalin, aka one of Ronald Reagan’s favorite Ladys.

MB4 on November 26, 2007 at 9:43 PM

- Mary Matalin, aka one of Ronald Reagan’s favorite Ladys.
Sweet, maybe she can give advice to Ron Paul, one of Reagan’s favorite Guys.

Spirit of 1776 on November 26, 2007 at 9:46 PM

He said he would not use Roe as a litmus test in selecting judges
tommylotto on November 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM

That is not very re-assuring to me. Meaning that how a judge view Roe would not be important to him. With other words he could select a pro Roe judge ????

SIJ6141 on November 26, 2007 at 10:52 PM

Resolute on November 26, 2007 at 8:03 PM

I think he was pining for the Cold War. But I could be wrong.

Allahpundit on November 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Are you sure about that? From the frequency and the level of heat that is expended, I get the impression that some of these guys are being paid.

Bill C on November 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM

Mitt’s crime problem. Willie Horton anyone?

Bradky on November 27, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Allahpundit on November 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM

Bill C on November 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM

Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage.
- Confucius

MB4 on November 27, 2007 at 12:18 AM

MB4 on November 27, 2007 at 12:18 AM

I think this is the part of the show where you and CSDeven sing “Why can’t we be friends” together!

Bradky on November 27, 2007 at 12:20 AM

LagunaDave on November 26, 2007 at 9:23 PM

I thought there was something different about Buckley the last time I saw him…wearing a pants suit.

right2bright on November 27, 2007 at 12:25 AM

Hollowpoint on November 26, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Do not get defensive. I am not being elitist. However, if you were a lawyer or had gone to law school, you would realize that following one’s judicial philosophy to its logical conclusion can, and often does, leads one to a result that conflicts with their personal policy position. Then, it comes down to what is more important, one’s judicial philosophy or one’s personal policy preference. To anyone like Rudy who has spent a lifetime in the law, his judicial philosophy is far more important that any particular narrow policy. ((For example, Rudy loves the idea of a line item veto. However, it is unfortunately unconstitutional. So when Clinton wanted to use the line item veto to deprive NYC of federal funds, Rudy beat Clinton and had the line item veto declared unconstitutional — even though he still thinks its a good idea.)) Here as there Rudy’s judicial philosophy trumped policy.

When Rudy says that he want’s strict constructionist and not judges legislating on the bench, that philosophy trumps everything. He will not want a judge to be an activist for his cause or any cause. He wants a judge to interpret the law not make it — even if the judge agrees with him.

So, I do not necessarily agree that he has committed to appoint judges that conflict with his policy positions. No judge will see eye to eye with him on all issues, but what I do believe is that he will appoint judges that share his judicial philosophy, because he genuinely shares that philosophy. Those judges, by the way, will get you most of what you want — overturn Roe, individual right in 2nd Amendment, etc.

I do not wear colored glasses. You on the other hand will give credence to every Village Voice, Slate.com, NYT, and Solon.com smear articles so long as it criticizes Rudy even if it directly contradicts Rudy’s clearly stated positions in his speeches or on his web site.

tommylotto on November 27, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Kudos to you.

right2bright on November 26, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Thanks; I have a knack for that sort of thing… I still wish I could get the image of Dukakis in the tank out of my freakin’ head. After 8 years of watching Bush and congressional Republicans screw up, the sensitivity on my BS detection circuits have been cranked up to maximum. Fortunately my patented bourbon dampening system manages to keep things under control.

Hollowpoint on November 27, 2007 at 3:39 AM

tommylotto on November 27, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Can’t… stop… laughing… must… breathe…

Dude- you’ve tried to argue that NYC wasn’t a sanctuary city under Rudy and taken at face value his pledge to END all illegal immigration. If that’s not a symptom of Rudy/20 vision, I don’t know what is.

Politicians LOVE people like you- “Hey, look what it says on his web site! He must really, really mean it!”

Skepticism is a good thing, duder.

Hollowpoint on November 27, 2007 at 3:44 AM

I hope, AP, that won’t be too long for you.

Texas Nick 77 on November 27, 2007 at 6:29 AM

right2bright on November 26, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Hillary is the one in the pantsuits.

Texas Nick 77 on November 27, 2007 at 6:36 AM

There is a bizarre difference between how Giuliani is perceived by some people here and how he is perceived by most of the country. Giuliani is viewed as quite right-wing but with some moderate views on gays and abortion. The Democrats are not about to use the photos of Rudy in drag to attack Giuliani. It would undermine their message of Rudy as Hitler and it may dry up some of their funding from gays.

I’m just commenting on perception here and not about how much Rudy deviates from the holy revealed right-wing truth. We all know if it’s more than a sixteenth of an inch, you are a RINO.

thuja on November 27, 2007 at 9:00 AM

I really hate it when Hillary tries to pass herself off as a New Yorker.

Its Tommy on November 27, 2007 at 9:03 AM

Am I dreaming all this?

How did Rudy Giuliani ever get to be the Republican front runner?

It would be like Zell Miller being the democrat front runner.

Or maybe like Hitchens being named Pope of the Catholic church.

Some where in between those two.

I think I got it bracketed pretty good anyway.

MB4 on November 26, 2007 at 8:44 PM

You’re dead on MB4. I honestly don’t know why ANY conservative would even consider voting for Rudy.

davenp35 on November 27, 2007 at 9:26 AM

Hollowpoint on November 26, 2007 at 8:45 PM
Kudos to you.
right2bright on November 26, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Ya, it is just to bad it seems like total BS. From Mitt’s site TODAY What is your source he changed position?

while the nation remains so divided over abortion, I believe that the states, through the democratic process, should determine their own abortion laws and not have them dictated by judicial mandate.

Resolute on November 27, 2007 at 7:27 PM