Liberal Christian leaders apologize to Muslims

posted at 3:59 pm on November 26, 2007 by Bryan

They’re responding to the A Common Word Between Us and You, a letter from 138 Muslim scholars etc to Christians. They apologize for the Crusades and the “excesses” in the war on terror. A war that was started by Muslims against innocent men, women and children, for whatever that might be worth.

Responding to an open letter in October signed by 138 leading Muslim scholars, clerics, and intellectuals from around the world, the Christian leaders also asked the Muslim world for forgiveness “We want to begin by acknowledging that in the past (e.g. in the Crusades) and in the present (e.g. in excesses of the “war on terror”) many Christians have been guilty of sinning against our Muslim neighbours. Before we “shake your hand” in responding to your letter, we ask forgiveness of the All-Merciful One and of the Muslim community around the world”, they said in the letter which was made available to the press here yesterday.

The letter goes on to practically beg for dialogue on the Muslim scholars’ terms and definitions, and never once addresses Islamic terrorism or its roots. It even whitewashes the warlording career of Mohammad.

Our love, Jesus Christ says, must imitate the love of the infinitely good Creator; our love must be as unconditional as is God’s-extending to brothers, sisters, neighbours, and even enemies. At the end of his life, Jesus Christ himself prayed for his enemies: “Forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34).

The Prophet Muhammad did similarly when he was violently rejected and stoned by the people of Ta’if. He is known to have said, “The most virtuous behaviour is to engage those who sever relations, to give to those who withhold from you, and to forgive those who wrong you.”

That’s awfully close to equating Christ and Mohammad. Any why no mention of Mohammad’s many statements and actions later in his career that run at hard odds with notions of tolerance and forgiveness? Why no mention of Sura 9 of the Koran and its relationship to present-day terrorism?

The Christian leaders’ apology to Muslims was not reciprocated in the Common Word letter. There is no similar apology for any actions taken in the name of Islam in the past or present in the Common Word. Rather, the 138 Islamic scholars quote the Fatihah as though it’s evidence of the common ground between Christianity and Islam.

Indeed, the Fatihah—which is the greatest chapter in the Holy Qur’anvii—starts with praise to God:

In the Name of God, the Infinitely Good, the All-Merciful. /

Praise be to God, the Lord of the worlds. /

The Infinitely Good, the All-Merciful. /

Owner of the Day of Judgement. /

Thee we worship, and Thee we ask for help. /

Guide us upon the straight path. /

The path of those on whom is Thy Grace, not those who deserve anger nor those who are astray. (Al-Fatihah, 1:1-7)

“…those who deserve anger” and “those who are astray” include, surprise, Christians. The Fatihah is in fact a condemnation of Christians and Jews as being outside the will and therefore mercy of Allah.

The traditional Islamic understanding of this is that the “straight path” is Islam. Most Muslim commentators believe that the Jews are those who have earned Allah’s wrath and the Christians are those who have gone astray. The classic Qur’anic commentator Ibn Kathir explains that “the two paths He described here are both misguided,” and that those “two paths are the paths of the Christians and Jews, a fact that the believer should beware of so that he avoids them.”

That’s common ground?

The Common Word document is in fact a call to the Christians of the world to become Muslims. It reads like a text meant to proselytize. Not that the liberal Christian leaders had any idea what they were reading in the Common Word letter.

The Christian leaders who signed the letter apologizing to the Muslim world include Bill Hybels, Founder and Senior Pastor, Willow Creek Community Church; Robert Schuller, Founder, Crystal Cathedral and Hour of Power; and Rick Warren, Founder and Senior Pastor, Saddleback Church, and author of The Purpose Driven Life. To Christians who have been paying attention, this will come as no surprise. Where you find the liberals Hybels and Schuller, you nearly always find Warren tagging along. To my relief, no other well known evangelical leaders signed the letter, and Franklin Graham’s name does not appear in it.

Comments

Is there a reason why they’re referring to Mohammed as a prophet?

Vizzini on November 26, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Nice, when do they hand the keys of the church over to them?

RobCon on November 26, 2007 at 4:04 PM

The religeous version of multicultaralism

The left’s religeon isnt based on faith its based on relativism.

William Amos on November 26, 2007 at 4:06 PM

That’s awfully close to equating Christ and Mohammad.

Calm down now. Let’s not lose our heads.

Oh…

BacaDog on November 26, 2007 at 4:06 PM

I’m waiting for them to apologize for Jesus Christ. After all, isn’t He the real enemy of Islam?

OhEssYouCowboys on November 26, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Sadly, this is nothing new.

RobCon on November 26, 2007 at 4:09 PM

From the letter:

In the Muslim tradition, God, “the Lord of the worlds,” is “The Infinitely Good and All-Merciful.” And the New Testament states clearly that “God is love” (1 John 4:8).

Are they really comparing the attributes of Allah with the agape-love of God?

Slublog on November 26, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Already quoted in the article, and now I’ll repeat the quote in reference to the liberal Christian leaders that the article was about…

“Forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34).

greggish on November 26, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Liberal Christian leaders apologize to Muslims

I, or rather the Lord, beseech you as Christ’s heralds to publish this everywhere and to persuade all people of whatever rank, foot-soldiers and knights, poor and rich, to carry aid promptly to those Christians and to destroy that vile race from the lands of our friends. I say this to those who are present, it is meant also for those who are absent.
Moreover, Christ commands it.
- Pope Urban II

They are hereby overruled by a higher authority.

MB4 on November 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Franklin Graham’s name does not appear in it.

I would’ve been greatly surprised if it was. If a copy of the Muslim’s letter had been sent to him, he’d likely use it for target practice.

Sigh. Like a whipped puppy showing its belly for approval.

Frozen Tex on November 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Is there a reason why they’re referring to Mohammed as a prophet?

Vizzini on November 26, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Don’t worry. It won’t be long and Mohammed will be included in another version of the Bible. Instead of deleting any “male-influenced, prejudices” like “Him” or “Father” – as has already been done – they’ll get around to deleting Jesus Christ. After all, Mohammed shouldn’t be offended.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on November 26, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Good point. Doesn’t Islam state that Mohammad came to correct the message of Jesus? And they do not believe him to be the Son of God, but simply a prophet, like Mohammad. But Mohammad came to correct the message that Jesus spread before him.

If these Christian leaders want to be fully in the Muslims’ good graces, they must denounce that Jesus is the Son of God and state that He was only a prophet, like Mohammad.

Michael in MI on November 26, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Frozen Tex on November 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Not that I ever had any respect for Lizard Lips (Schuller) or the rest of ‘em.

Frozen Tex on November 26, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Bryan,

I’m in agreement with you on this.

This next line makes me sick:

we ask forgiveness of the All-Merciful One

I just don’t get it. No, wait, actually I do. These men are so caught up in their own rockstar status as “Christian world leaders” that they go to all kinds of lengths to maintain their presence on the world stage. To make things wors, they no longer have anyone holding them accountable in the true sense, telling them ‘no’ or ‘you might rethink that’ anymore. Their success has created in them a self-inflated opinion of their own intellect and discernment.

realVerse on November 26, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Not at all how I read it. But I 100% agree with your view on the ridiculous dhimmi response by these lib Christian leaders.

RW Wacko on November 26, 2007 at 4:20 PM

These so-called “Christian Leaders” don’t speak for me.

georgej on November 26, 2007 at 4:21 PM

realVerse on November 26, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Well stated. I should have turned writing this post over to you.

Bryan on November 26, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Christians believe that Jesus is the “Way, the Truth and the Light,” and no one comes to the Father but through Jesus. These “Christians” seem content to condescend and express tolerance while their Muslim brothers are lost in their error. Thousands of Muslims are coming to Christ every day, only because someone loved them enough to tell them the Truth.

drewas on November 26, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Franklin Graham knows a thing or two about both Christianity and Islam. This administration had to literally BEG Graham to not go into Iraq after the war to build churches and evangelize – though he’d have done more good than many in the state department.

It’s going to come as a shock to many who call themselves Christian, but don’t know what it means to be Christian, when Jesus comes back. Have a read of Revelation again. There’s 6 billion people on this earth. Most of them are going to die.

I’m not saying who lives or dies, but I am saying that most people will die in the end of times according to the Bible. It might be a good idea to use that literacy you have and read the Bible to understand who Jesus is, what He did, and what He means to the world and your life.

It is written for you to read it.

ThackerAgency on November 26, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Vizz, I bet you’ll NEVER hear them refer to Jesus as “Lord and Savior” but we’re suppossed to call Mo the “prophet”. I call him the False Prophet … or the 20 Percent Profit.

Tony737 on November 26, 2007 at 4:26 PM

My dad introduced me to Rev. Hybels when I was about 10 or so. I knew something was wrong with him, even back then.

Or maybe I just didn’t want to be in church; I dunno.

Hannibal Smith on November 26, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Man. There are a number of names on that list that I am sad to see there. A former President, and a former Prof. from my old Seminary. Not to mention some scholars that I have had a lot of respect for in the realm of theological academia. It makes me a bit sad.

The vast majority, however, are either people that are not well known, or people whose name I would actually be more surprised were it not included.

nailinmyeye on November 26, 2007 at 4:33 PM

They have every right to apologize for their own actions. The bible makes that quite clear. You cannot apologize for someone’s else’s actions, and you certainly can’t ask for forgiveness for another man’s sins. Well, you can ask, but it doesn’t do much good.
Those poor stupid souls, I remember when Rick Warren dissed Schuller for his “cathedral”, and now he has a bigger church, and they are buddies.
Here is one for you Schuller, you are part of the grand Dutch Reformed Church, 10% of your money went to the General Synod (he may have stopped in the late 90′s), which supported Apartheid in South Africa (Dutch Reformed Church was instrumental in enslaving blacks). So why don’t you apologize for sending millions of dollars to kill, imprison, and enslave blacks?
“I am sorry for insulting Islam, but I am proud of supporting apartheid.”

right2bright on November 26, 2007 at 4:34 PM

These are all Christian pragmatists and leaders of feel good churches.

Jesus Christ is God made man. Mohammad is a child molesting gangster that taught Arabs how to be even more ruthless in the name of his god. No connection there.

The Crusades were the first war on Islamic terror, and I only wish they had the weapons we do today, since they would have ended it once and for all.

Hening on November 26, 2007 at 4:39 PM

These dupes are not my religious leaders, but the Christian-lite leftists of Yale, Harvard, and the pastors of the increasingly dhimmi mega-churches of Caliphornia, Rick Warren and Schuller and Hybels of Willow Creek.

Hybels is a big Bill Clinton fan, natch.

Jaibones on November 26, 2007 at 4:42 PM

I was criticized yesterday while commenting on a similar issue for pointing out that the Catholic Church is an active member of the Christian fifth column against Western Civilization.

Here are a couple of links to a leftist Catholic organization which claims that the current Pope and the previous one are dhimmis of the highest order advocates for peace.

I’m currently researching less biased resources to see what other conclusions are possible.

thuja on November 26, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Mohommed did come to correct the word of Jesus, but he did not come from on high but from the nether depths of hell. By denying the divinity of Christ, the great liar condemned a major part of the world to damnation. His prophet Mohammed, by his acts, prove he is no messenger of God.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on November 26, 2007 at 5:05 PM

They apologize for the Crusades …

It should be permissible to slap any Christian who apologizes for the defensive wars against Muslims.

Physics Geek on November 26, 2007 at 5:09 PM

His prophet Mohammed, by his acts, prove he is no messenger of God.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on November 26, 2007 at 5:05 PM

Great…it is cut and dried, to be a prophet you must be 100% accurate when speaking the word of God…100%, anything less and you are a false prophet.
One can dance all around that all night, but God is 100% accurate, so are his prophets.
But, if you are blinded by faith (and hate), you will see nothing but perfection.

right2bright on November 26, 2007 at 5:17 PM

That’s awfully close to equating Christ and Mohammad.

Indeed it is. The whole letter (in classic liberal Christian style) seems to avoid any reference to the deity of Jesus, portraying him as just a good man/good teacher who had profound things to say about God. And maybe I’m reading too much into it, but that reference to “the end of [Jesus'] life” especially bothers me. That’s not the language of someone who serves a risen Lord. The letter writer and signatories need to take a hard look at I Corinthians 15:14: “And if Messiah is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.” If they are not proclaiming a risen Messiah, they have nothing worth offering to their Muslim neighbors. Their faith is futile, much like their apology.

tikvah on November 26, 2007 at 5:25 PM

I apologize on behalf of all of my Christian Brethren. I am oh so sorry that the Crusades didn’t get rid of all of the Muslim “peace lovers” way back when.

Religion of peace my big hairy a$$.

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 5:44 PM

These so-called “Christian Leaders” don’t speak for me.

georgej on November 26, 2007 at 4:21 PM

My sentiments as well. So-called “Christian Leaders” have been trying and sometimes succeeding in leading believers astray since the 1st century A.D. This is nothing new. Jesus warned us about wolves in sheep’s clothing. The rotten fruit here is obvious to whomever has the eyes to see it.

infidel4life on November 26, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Looks like the modern Jannisaries are forming up.

mojo on November 26, 2007 at 5:59 PM

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits.”(Matthew 7:15-20)

Mohammad’s rotten fruit has been spreading sickness since the day he attacked that first caravan

Keli on November 26, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Worth repeating:

Indeed it is. The whole letter (in classic liberal Christian style) seems to avoid any reference to the deity of Jesus, portraying him as just a good man/good teacher who had profound things to say about God. And maybe I’m reading too much into it, but that reference to “the end of [Jesus’] life” especially bothers me. That’s not the language of someone who serves a risen Lord. The letter writer and signatories need to take a hard look at I Corinthians 15:14: “And if Messiah is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.” If they are not proclaiming a risen Messiah, they have nothing worth offering to their Muslim neighbors. Their faith is futile, much like their apology.

tikvah on November 26, 2007 at 5:25 PM

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM

You know how much fun I have ragging on your “quotable quotes”, but in this case all I can say is :

Quote on, dude. Absolutely applicable.

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Muslims have contempt for these lame lickspittles.

And for all Christians and Jews.

It’s in their pedophile warlord’s playbook of theocratic tyranny.

That Judeo-Christian-based and severely-distorted plagiarism known as the Koran.

Guide to intolerance, misogyny, terrorism and permanent ignorance.

Note to pastors:

Cringing only makes it easier for them to lop off your empty noggins, numbskulls.

profitsbeard on November 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM

MB4 on November 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM

shoulda been up there^^^^^

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 6:15 PM

profitsbeard on November 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Going, going, Gone!!!! Home Run!!!

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 6:18 PM

profitsbeard,

Every time I read one of your comments, I find myself nodding my head and saying “hell yes” under my breath.

Your participation here is one of many reasons I keep coming to HotAir on a daily basis.

Thank you.

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM

yep read this in the Times. Was nice to see a humble call for dialogue in the divided climate we live in. Kinda figured some “christians” would take exception with a call for peace, love and tolerance between religions, but hey they don’t speak for the church any more than these guys do. I suppose i would suggest trying to speak to a muslim or two rather than reading Jihadwatch.

crr6 on November 26, 2007 at 6:29 PM

hillbillyjim-

Right back at you, bro.

Hopefully the West is still in early innings in this Great Game.

(Although most of our pious umps are wearing their facemasks backwards.)

profitsbeard on November 26, 2007 at 6:35 PM

There you go again.

profitsbeard on November 26, 2007 at 6:35 PM

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 6:46 PM

I am sad to read this. These men should be demanding an apology from the Muslim scholars. They are cowards. They have learned nothing from reading their Bibles. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. They are educated but still ignorant. How sad for their congregations.

Terri on November 26, 2007 at 6:57 PM

I’m really not surprised by this. These so-called “pastors” are frauds, and thier works will show them for what they are. “Christian”? No. More like the church of what’s happening now.

jdawg on November 26, 2007 at 7:05 PM

You’ve gotta hand it to this Mohammad (piss be upon him.) He created a system that preys on the poor, the disenfranchised, and the ignorant. This is why this perversion of a religion has become so prevalent in our world.

Anyone who thinks that this isn’t a war is just not paying attention. All you have to do is read the Koran or the writings of any of a plethora of their “clerics” to know that their aim is Global Sharia. Wake the hell up, people.

Kowtowing and apologizing only emboldens these wonderful peace-loving murderous bastards.

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 7:08 PM

By asking forgiveness from another god (because the god of the Koran and the God of the bible are irreconcilably different) what they effectively did was renounce their God and their faith. Obviously that’s not what they intended, but that’s what they effectively did. For believers, this is huge. Sadly, most of the people in their churches won’t know any better.

Laura on November 26, 2007 at 7:11 PM

crr6 on November 26, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Boy, I’m sure glad you happened by so that I could find out that 1)I’m not a real Christian after all (I will now go overhaul my whole belief system) and that 2) all those security checks I go through in order to ride buses, buy groceries, and drink coffee in Israel are just bigoted overreactions by those who misunderstand the Islamic concept of the internal struggle to live a virtuous life.

tikvah on November 26, 2007 at 7:15 PM

This is a horrible response to a horrible letter. Christians and Muslims do NOT worship the same God. We worship the Triune God of the Bible: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We proclaim Jesus as Lord. They do not. Our understanding of God comes from the tradition of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Theirs does not. I personally will follow Jesus’ commands to love my neighbor and love my enemies, but it does not logically follow that religious or political peace is possible or even acceptable between nations with predominantly Christian or Muslim leadership. As as for any theological common ground, that is completely wrong and makes a mockery of centuries of Christian martyrdom at the hands of Muhammad’s followers.

Jared White on November 26, 2007 at 7:25 PM

the Islamic concept of the internal struggle to live a virtuous life.

and to behead, blow up, or otherwise kill anyone who doesn’t happen to subscribe to their misbegotten philosophy.

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 7:33 PM

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Shhhh!!! We don’t talk about that one!!!

tikvah on November 26, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Shhhh!!! We don’t talk about that one!!!

tikvah on November 26, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Somebody needs to shout it from the highest mountain.—-LOUDLY.

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 7:45 PM

tikvah on November 26, 2007 at 7:15 PM

nope all those security checks are because of terrorism. hate terrorism, not islam.

crr6 on November 26, 2007 at 7:49 PM

hate terrorism, not islam.

crr6 on November 26, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Category error.

Laura on November 26, 2007 at 8:09 PM

The two are completely entwined here. We don’t have problems with Christian, Jewish, Bahai, Buddhist, or atheist terrorism. Terrorist tactics are upheld for both political and religious purposes in the mosques, as legitimate methods of advancing the cause of Islam. Terrorists draw their inspiration and their justification straight from their faith.

Rest assured, I do not hate Muslims, quite the opposite. I was brought up to care about, love, and pray for the Muslim world. Nevertheless, I can’t let the love I have for them deceive me into thinking that there is nothing malignant in their faith, something that causes many of them to hate non-Muslims with a disturbing passion, something that will keep them out of fellowship with their Creator. I don’t think this malignancy is inherent to the people group, I think it is inherent to the beliefs they are taught in Islam. Stop the teachings, stop the terror.

tikvah on November 26, 2007 at 8:15 PM

realVerse on November 26, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Exactly.

Do they love Christ the King or money and power?

Zorro on November 26, 2007 at 8:22 PM

By asking forgiveness from another god…..what they effectively did was renounce their God and their faith.

Laura on November 26, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Bingo. And they’re going to be waiting a loooong time for forgiveness from Allah.

infidel4life on November 26, 2007 at 8:22 PM

What the heck??

Somebody please explain to these idiots that they can’t believe in both Christianity and the existence the “All-Merciful One” at the same time.

Emilie H. on November 26, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Emilie H.-

What the heck??

How does the “All-Merciful One” also advise “strike at their necks” (i.e.- behead them) in his “holy” book, the “Recitation” (AKA: al-Koran)?

Sounds pretty merciless to me.

Or is irrationality the heart of Islam?

profitsbeard on November 26, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Grand Slam.

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Category error.

Awesome link, Laura.

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 10:43 PM

Bryan,

It’s encouraging to hear other Christians, denounce these ‘Christian leaders’ not just for their dhimminess but more importantly for their bad theology.

Unfortunately, our voices are not heard because
many people like their ears to be tickled
and these men will gladly do it.

The sadest part of this is that many will never hear your concerns because most of ACM (American Christian Media) doesn’t want to say anything bad about its most ‘successful’ mega-church pastors.

Among those that protect these ‘leaders’ are radio stations within the MD, DC, and VA area.

shick on November 26, 2007 at 11:04 PM

hillbillyjim on November 26, 2007 at 10:43 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. :-)

Laura on November 26, 2007 at 11:07 PM

In skimming the Muslim’s Open Letter to the Pope (linked to on the “Common word between us” site -and it’s not as long as it looks–half of it is a list of signatories), I did manage to find one instance where they deplore “the killing of a innocent Catholic in Somalia–and any other acts of wanton individual violence ‘in reaction to’ [puncuation in original] your lecture at the University of Regensberg is completely un-Islamic, and we totally condemn such acts.” This was above the first paragraph break near the top of page 3.

It appears from even a cursory reading of the above, that all of the mayhem committed as the result of “non-inidividual,” (e.g. Hamas, Taliban) violence against Christians, and all the violence which has been committed *not* “in reaction to” the Pope’s speech is not being condemned. (It smacks of one of the those, “I’m sorry you misunderstood what I said,” kind of apologies, except here it’s “We’re sorry that what you said drove these people to do this.”) Given the systematic persecution of Christians in, for example, the West Bank, I think the Muslims got a pretty good deal here apology-wise. The Christians abjectly apologize for something that happened (not at the hands of their denominations, mind you, a distinction that they might have drawn, given that the Muslim writers did it by implication) centuries ago, while the Muslims give this tepid, limited apology for something that is on-going, without even any acknowledgement of the systematic nature of the persecution of Christians that is taking place even as I write this.

This kind of ideologically inspired need to apologize for one’s own existence (what else is being apologized for, when Protestant clergy apologize for what Catholics did before there were even Protestants) is the same kind of suicidal impulse found at the heart of what is consuming British (and French) culture.

It is nauseating, and it is dangerous. It’s like saying, “I’m so sorry my face got in the way of your fist.” I’m all for this kind of exchange, but it must be characterized by intellectually honesty, not this sort of humbug.

Here are just a few things the Christian clergy might have brought up if they hadn’t been so busy apologizing for the Crusades:

These reports come from respected news sources from all over the world, and were gathered in about 2 minutes off of google using the search terms “Christians fear Muslims.”

smellthecoffee on November 27, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Surprised to see that the United Methodist Church is not a signatory. We’ve been battling our liberal leaders for a while.

roux on November 27, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Makes one ashamed of Christian leaders. The church is no friend in this battle.

BL@KBIRD on November 27, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Or is irrationality the heart of Islam?

profitsbeard on November 26, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Yes, and it is the heart of liberalism. Evil is good, good is evil, freedom is slavery, etc.

jdawg on November 27, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Makes one ashamed of Christian leaders. The church is no friend in this battle.

BL@KBIRD on November 27, 2007 at 10:16 AM

At least these churches, which are more feel-good, warm, fuzzy Sunday morning social clubs than actual churches.

jdawg on November 27, 2007 at 10:16 AM

They make me feel like puking. They’ll probably be the first killed by the muslim-thugs, like the mopes on top of First-Interstate in LA in the movie Independence Day.

countywolf on November 27, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Hmm, I late to the party here. One of the signatories of the letter is a friend of mine. I’ll have to ask some very pointed questions and find out why.

Snidely Whiplash on November 27, 2007 at 3:57 PM