Video: Fox News is biased against me, says Fred

posted at 12:37 pm on November 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

Has it come to this? Yes, Carl Cameron had some fun with his Gucci-wearing, golf-cart-riding ways at the Iowa state fair. And no, the Foxies didn’t stint on reporting his personnel troubles. But has any candidate, Giuliani included, been hyped more consistently or enthusiastically by Sean Hannity than Fred? From the first one-on-one in May to the solo shot while the rest of the field was debating in June to an among-the-people sitdown in July, and on through to September and October, and that’s not including radio appearances or shots on other Fox shows. There’s been a “constant mantra,” all right. Just not the one Fred’s claiming here.

The ultimate irony? Guess which Fox show it was that launched his bid for the presidency.

Update: Will Fox News be blamed for this, too?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Wah!

Weebork on November 25, 2007 at 12:49 PM

AP, except for the interviews, the NEWS portion of Foxnews has been slanted to the negative from the beginning. Campaign Carl is a joke but he gets lots of air time. I consider Chris Wallace a good journalist. He is even impressed by the answer that Fred gives him and the reasoning.

If you want to find the best argument, look at 3:08 and thereabouts about FDT being the only candidate to bring policy to the primaries.

We all know about spinning. Look at Nov 23, 2007 5:48 PM by Allahpundit on Hot Air where the caption of the picture is “Country Boy.” Why didn’t you caption Rudy’s response as “City Boy”?

Tennman on November 25, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Fred spanked Wallace.

Fred has a hot blond for a wife. Maybe if he hides her somewhere in Aruba for a few weeks he would get more favorable coverage from Fox.

I rarely watch Fox News anymore. Too much tabloid stuff.

They do seem to repeat the “Fred is Floundering” meme that is prevalent around the blogosphere.

Maybe he is. Maybe he isnt. But the more that Fox, and Hot Air for that matter, repeat it the more likely it is that it will come true.

amish on November 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Because Rudy didn’t frame his response to Fred as a country/city thing. He accused Fred of having no record. Being a country boy is part of Fred’s campaign persona; it’s a political asset. Being a city boy is a liability for Giuliani. And I did refer to Giuliani as a city boy in the Fred post about NYC.

If the news portion of Fox has been negative, that’s because the majority of the news about Fred’s campaign has been negative thus far. Do you think more people see those little two-minute news scooplets or the interviews he does on the second-most highly rated show in cable news?

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM

He has been reading the Fredhead posts on Hot Air too much. I thought he was going to quote Judith Regan there for a second. What a baby!!!

Looked rather immature not very presidential… Almost Clintonian

tommylotto on November 25, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Are most of these stories about actual bad things happening to the campaign, or are they more along the lines of “Fred was supposed to dominate the field from day one but he hasnt so he must have no chance” type stories?

Therea a difference between not meeting unrealistic expectations and being a complete flop. I think the media doesnt realize this.

amish on November 25, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM

I didn’t say spinning was bad, old boy. I did say it was spinning.

Just as FDT says in the interview. [paraphrased] “I know the game of build up and tear down. It’s okay for you to play that game as long as I get to respond.”

We respond with our spin, just like you start with yours. I could spin Rudy’s response to be, “I can’t disprove your idea that NYC doesn’t resonate well with Peoria, so I’ll attack on your lack of record.” Fred’s reponse, of course is, “Sure you have a record, but on what?”

So it’s all spin. The majority of MSM or as Rush calls it, the drive-by media has always been attacking Fred from day one. You pick up on it and report it like it’s correct.

Spin.

Mine is different, of course.

Tennman on November 25, 2007 at 1:01 PM

BTW despite the ASSertion that Fred has no “there” there, he has released his tax reform plan

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM

I would guess the former, the two-minute scooplets. Just because a show is “the second-most highly rated show in cable news” does not mean that it is higher rated than the newscasts. Or does it? Are the cable news shows rated vs the cable newscasts to show a comparison?

My uninformed guess would be that more average people watch the newscasts than they do news shows. Most average people, I would guess, don’t take the time to really get to know the candidates in interviews and just spend time watching the two-minute scooplets to frame their opinions.

Personally, I don’t do either. I don’t watch the interviews and I don’t watch cable news shows or newscasts. I do a lot of research online, which includes coming here to catch these posts about the interviews, including clips of the interviews and links to transcripts. But then, I don’t have much of a life, so I can spend 4-6 hours a day between my lunch hour and after work researching online and reading blogs…

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Wow. This is sad. Generally the last throes of a campaign is to attack the media (Edwards for example started that when passed by HC and BO in Iowa). This is considerable different in tone then his previous dismissals of media expectations and he has been given a considerably generous swath.

I think Wallace and Krauthammer are straight shooters.

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:05 PM

you know those studies that show favorable/unfavorable coverage for Republicans and Democrats by news channels?

It would be interesting to see how Freds coverage compares to Ron Pauls.

I see a lot of those ‘Ron Paul:Internet Phenomena’ type stories.

amish on November 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Sour grapes isn’t presidential…

Halley on November 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM

RCP has averages for nine early-primary states in the sidebar here. The only one where Fred places any higher than third is in South Carolina, and if Huckabee finishes strong in Iowa, there’s a good chance he’ll leapfrog Fred there too. Are you honestly telling me it was unreasonable to expect he’d be doing any better than that?

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Hey Fred, that whining dog don’t hunt.

BKennedy on November 25, 2007 at 1:07 PM

I think that was the most impressive that I’ve seen him in public appearances. I may not agree with him because I don’t think he understands how this primary process works. . . but at least he looked sure of himself in that video and didn’t hem and haw and bob.

His biggest mistake was throwing in the towel on NH a few weeks ago. That is a BIG BIG no no. You MUST go to Iowa and New Hampshire and tell them how wonderful the people are in (insert name of small town) and how thankful you are that they are interested to hear you speak in (name of small town). And tell them how important it is for the people of (name of small town) to help him help the people of (name of small town) to make this great country greater.

All he talks about is that ‘he’s from Tennessee (and Hollywood)’. That won’t win Iowa, that won’t win New Hampshire. That ‘he’s from Tennessee’ might win South Carolina but it might be too late by then.

For Fred to win, he has to step it up BIG TIME in Iowa and New Hampshire until the caucus and primary. Fred must forget about the rest of the country until after Iowa and New Hampshire if he has a shot at winning.

ThackerAgency on November 25, 2007 at 1:10 PM

That’s like saying, “There’s no such thing as ‘truth.’” Just because people haven’t warmed to your guy doesn’t mean the media’s out to get him or I’m part of some vast spin machine trying to keep Fred down. Every week we get a new complaint from someone on this site that I’m against some Republican candidate. On a bad week for Mitt, commenters accuse me of being I’m anti-Mormon. On a bad week for Rudy, JayHaw Phrenzie pops in to accuse me of having it in for the centrists. On a bad week for Fred, I’m “spinning” against the self-styled red pick-up truck country boy. Whatevs.

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Just a reminder for the incessantly whining Fredheads: I credited him for his immigration plan. I congratulated him for his very righteous response to Dobson. I’ve consistently sided with his federalist take on abortion. And I called his city/country baiting of Giuliani “brilliant.” Filter out the good, focus on the bad.

It’s not my fault your boy’s not winning.

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:05 PM

You know, he didn’t attack the media. He answered a question about why the media was spinning him negatively. And it came closely on the heels of Wallace asking him, “Do you know anyone who thinks you’ve run good campaign, sir?”

The fight’s on. It’s still early, and it’s still up in the air.

Tennman on November 25, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 1:11 PM

AP,

I think you are to lenient on Sen. Clinton.
Just wanted to get in on the all complaining:)

terryannonline on November 25, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Sounds like the VRWC is out to get him.

Big S on November 25, 2007 at 1:19 PM

It’s not my fault your boy’s not winning.

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Nobody’s winning anything yet. Hate to tell you this, but with no candidate getting more than a third of the polling results, it’s wide, wide, wide open.

incessantly whining Fredheads:

Feeling a little unappreciated, Allah? You do good work. For the amount of time you spend on this blog, I think you’re way overworked, way underpaid.

But that doesn’t mean I have to agree with all of your opinions, does it.

Tennman on November 25, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 1:14 PM

Overall, I would think you are fair to all the candidates. You do your job well.

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Fred first states that Krauthammer and Barnes have a right to their opinion, then uses the “but” word and goes on to say that most of the country doesn’t agree with the talking heads.

If the opinion of the talking heads doesn’t matter in the big picture, then why is Fred making a big deal that Fox News is being unfair?

Cake and eating it too.

Weebork on November 25, 2007 at 1:23 PM

amish on November 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA! Or buy a shake shingle house in Malibu.

Someone should start a all news cable channel. I would watch it.

ronsfi on November 25, 2007 at 1:26 PM

First it’s “No fire in the belly ” now it’s “he’s whiney, etc.”.

Can’t f*ckin’ please you imbeciles!

omnipotent on November 25, 2007 at 1:28 PM

I don’t think Hannity has appeared on stage at a Thompson fundraiser, as he did for Rudy in Cincinnati.

Also, maybe Fred is concerned that Roger Ailes ran Rudy’s first mayoral campaign, or that Rudy officiated at Ailes’s wedding, or that Rudy intervened on behalf of Fox against Time Warner when he was mayor.

dedalus on November 25, 2007 at 1:29 PM

Weebork on November 25, 2007 at 1:23 PM

He was answering a question. He’s trying to win (although not hard enough for many of you) What do you expect him to say? “they’re right, I suck.” Jeez….

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 1:31 PM

Fox (tabloid news) has been in the tank for Rudy since day one.

Anyone who can’t see that is feeble-minded.

omnipotent on November 25, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Awww Come’on Allah

Just a reminder for the incessantly whining Fredheads

–You KNOW that tellin’ the truth ain’t WHININ’! FOXNEWS is biased against Fred- Just look at the Beltway Men, and Brit Hume, and all the rest of’em. THEY NEVER MENTION FRED UNLESS it’s about him tankin’ I don’t even think it’s possible to ‘tank’ BEFORE A VOTE HAS BEEN CAST! None of Y’all KNOW WHAT is gonna happen. Look at the numbers for folk’s WHO ARE NOT FIRM.

And what’s all this sh*t the pundits are always shovelin’ about a 2 man race. 2 man race my as*.

By the way Allah – Numbers USA says Fred’s the best on illegal immigration. So if you and MM care about stoppin’ the illegal immigrants like ya say- Why aren’t ya more pro-FDT?

p.s. I don’t know how to find out but I’m sure Sean Hannity has given Rudy Giuliani ALOT more free time than he’s given Fred.

Ex-tex on November 25, 2007 at 1:34 PM

You know, he didn’t attack the media.

He did mention FOX by name actually at the end of the first minute of this clip (before the W? you referred to). I think dismissal of Barnes’s dismissal is fair, but I think Krauthammer is just being frank – he notes the appeal of Fred but also notes the perceived void in his campaign, which resonates with me frankly; I don’t care how Fred runs his campaign, I just would like to be certain of his grasp of the issues and his plan for the future.

I agree that the race is wide open still; I agree with you. But I stand by my statement. Usually a candidate doesn’t get into complaining about the media unless they feel they have lost they momentum and traction. I don’t welcome that strategy, I’m not eager to see Fred crash and burn.

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:34 PM

omnipotent on November 25, 2007 at 1:32 PM

I do not know if I agree with that. BUT the msm has been against Fred from the start. He has more detailed plans on more issues than any other candidates. The msm ignores them. It was the MSM pounding the Fred is waiting, has waited too long mantras. The MSM also has pounded the Fred is lazy drums as well.

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 1:36 PM

I don’t care how Fred runs his campaign, I just would like to be certain of his grasp of the issues and his plan for the future.Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:34 PM

My God he has specific plans for tax reform, the military, social security, immmigration and border emforcement. Fred has been far more specific than anyone else.

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Come on Allah! Anyone who listens to Hannity knows his guy is Rudy! He and Curtis Sliwa and you are Rudy’s biggest cheerleaders. At least Sliwa’s open about it though.

edgehead on November 25, 2007 at 1:41 PM

amish on November 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM

I agree with ronsfi. That was bloody brilliant.

Damian G. on November 25, 2007 at 1:41 PM

I don’t see Fred as whining here, some complaining maybe.
Chris asked a critical question and Fred came back at him, calmly and with reason, he’s allowed his opinion on the coverage his campaign has picked up from fox.
On substance, Fred shines brightly, its good to see him swing some.

Speakup on November 25, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:34 PM

How certain do you want to be? Listening to the talking heads talk about how he understands or looking at his policy statements? He’s the only Repub out there with specifics on policy and issues and plans for the future.

Tennman on November 25, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Perhaps stating which candidate you support, Allah, will help clear the air? I’m banking it’s not Clinton.

Kokonut on November 25, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Look, GD, I don’t want to pick apart your candidate just to prove it can be done. I was answering Tennman, who is trust is familar with my views/concerns on Fred. And yes, his position on SS is detailed and he deserves credit for that.

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Dick Morris had it right a few months ago. He said once people saw that Archie Branch, the NY District Attorney is not running for president, the Thompson boomlet would fizzle. He can’t tell us why he is running for president, he has done the bidding of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America just as forcefully as John Edwards and he can not win. A Republican candidate who can not compete in New Jersey, Pa, or Ct. will not win this time. That is a fact, like it or not. The only thing that stands between making Hillary Clinton Commander in Chief is Rudy Giuliani. If all centrists and people of the nonBuchanan/Duke right do not get behind Rudy and fast, our troops will be forced to accept Hillary Clinton and her ethically challenged parttime husband as Commanders in Chief and to salute them. Rest assured, the Clintons will use the troops as props. Bill Clinton was always compelling soldiers to march in formation for his pleasure as if he (Clinton) was a Roman emperor. Well, maybe he was Caligula but the thought of Hillary sending our soldiers into harms way is bone chilling. The time is now for supporters of Thompson and Huckabee (another ethically challenged Arkansas governor) to stop whining and get behind Rudy,

Larraby on November 25, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Tennman on November 25, 2007 at 1:44 PM

As certain as possible. I don’t actually listen to the talking heads too much.

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:48 PM

And yes, his position on SS is detailed and he deserves credit for that.

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:45 PM

AS are his views on tax reform, rebuilding/funding the militarty, border security.
You are welcome to pick apart anything you want. All I am saying is Fred has been very clear on issues.

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Kokonut on November 25, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Allah supports the Messiah because he’s an atheist. He’s still trying to decide which one, though.

It’s really irrelevant anyway. AP’s job is to report the news, not get in the tank for someone. I don’t think anyone is looking for the coveted Allahpundit endorsement. (No offense, AP)

Fred, do you need some cheese to go with your whine? The only constant mantra I’ve heard is that you’re the only man who can save America. Obviously America disagrees.

BKennedy on November 25, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Again, If he’s ASKED about the opinion of the media, why is ANSWERING (with his opinion)about the media considered blaming or complaining about the media? This is what is so frustrating about many biased or know it all bloggers. I would bet that MOST of America, like myself hasn’t even decided who they are going to vote for. Yet many of you think you know not only what is going to happen, but WHY everything is happening. Nothing wrong with opinion but PLEASE stop pretending you are the oracles or omniscient pundits. (sorry don’t mean to be trite by using some of your favorite terms)

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Why do you insist on blaming Rudy’s lack of elect ability on everyone but Rudy. Rudy won’t win because most of the base doesn’t agree with him. That’s like blaming the ‘nonBuchanan/Duke right’ for not electing Hillary. I don’t appreciate the characterization of David Duke type conservatives, but I expect it from Rudy shills.

Rudy’s problem is Rudy. I will never support someone who has gone further to confiscate civilians guns than anyone in the country. And you can blame Rudy’s loss on everyone but Rudy if you want, but I’d vote for Kerry before I’d vote for Rudy.

ThackerAgency on November 25, 2007 at 1:52 PM

None taken. You’re exactly right. I’m not overly impressed with any of the candidates but I’ll end up supporting whoever the nominee is against the Democrats.

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 1:52 PM

Someone should start a all news cable channel. I would watch it.

Ain’t THAT the unhappy truth.

Mike H on November 25, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Kokonut on November 25, 2007 at 1:45 PM

D’aah, that’s a hedge bet.

Speakup on November 25, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Fredhead review…..

Loved it when he got mad. Hated that he lead himself into it. You can tell he is testy about the ‘lazy’ stuff. Well Fred get mad alot and you’ll see your numbers go up. Opening with SS reform was a yawner. We want to know you know what a JDAM is and challenge Dinnerjacket to a arm wrestling contest.

Limerick on November 25, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Larraby on November 25, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Now THAT is an OPINION. I like it. Not sure I agree, but I like it.

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 1:56 PM

As certain as possible. I don’t actually listen to the talking heads too much.

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Well, keep your mind as open as it’s been this whole conversation that we’ve had thus far, and you’ll make the right choice for yourself.

Like AP said though, I know who I support now, but in the end, I’ll be supporting anyone against the Demonnomination.

Tennman on November 25, 2007 at 1:58 PM

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 1:52 PM

I’m not a blogger, just giving my honest opinion in the comments as a commenter. Let’s just say you are right and Fox is picking on him because they are in the tank for some other candidate. Deal? Or does that still make me a pretending oracle?

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Larraby on November 25, 2007 at 1:47 PM

You want us to settle for a RINO? No thanks! Conservatives do not HAVE to settle for less.

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Hell, even Steyn is in to Fred! bashing in a backhanded sort of way. In his latest column he discusses all the candidates of both parties w/o ever mentioning Fred!.

JimK on November 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Perhaps I extended several of my frustrations with others beyond to you more than I should have. My primary problem is with all of you who characterize a response to a question as complaining – and further – to declare that it is the way desperation manifests itself. Come on, that’s a bit harsh. You are obviously not omniscient.

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Let’s just say you are right and Fox is picking on him because they are in the tank for some other candidate. Deal? Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 1:59 PM

btw, I never said I believed that…

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 2:08 PM

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 2:08

PM
Fred was asked a question and SHOCKER! He answered it!

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 2:10 PM

What killed Fred was the whole “She loves me, She loves me not” way he announced. We hoped for John Wayne. We got Will Rogers. Clever and entertaining but would not last a round in the Octagon.

ronsfi on November 25, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Some people are dumb enough to think there’s no good news and it’s all just media bias. Well guess what, sometimes it’s all just bad news.

Sorry Fred.

e-pirate on November 25, 2007 at 2:15 PM

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 2:06 PM

I only speak for myself. But I do see patterns that campaigns take. As to the specifics, he wasn’t initially asked his position of the media, he was asked about criticism from conservatives. Wallace introduced the poll and then the two comments. Usually Fred responds to those comments by addressing (and dismissing perhaps appropriately) their substance – in the line of well people said that about my election in TN, etc. It’s a pretty good answer.

But here he brings up FOX by name within the first minute. He does address the substance of their statements, but he is the one that expands it to address the media and he clearly sets the us vs. them theme with comments like ‘your guys’ etc. That’s a change for him and it’s not a simple cut and dry answer here. He was expanding the scope.

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Uhm…give them something positive to report on?

SouthernGent on November 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Probably the truest take on the whole thing I’ve read so far but I’m not sure that it’s “killed” Fred’s campaign yet. Hurt it bad probably, almost certainly, but I’m not sure that the vote number are going to match the polls very well this time around.

Buzzy on November 25, 2007 at 2:24 PM

After all- FOXNEWS OWES GIULIANI-

An Old Friend Called Giuliani, and New York’s Cable Clash Was On
By CLIFFORD J. LEVY
Court records show that a telephone call to Mayor Rudolph Giuliani from Roger Ailes, former Republican consultant and now chairman of Rupert Murdoch’s new 24-hour news channel, was opening maneuver in aggressive campaign by Murdoch’s News Corp to gain Giuliani’s support in its clash with Time Warner over access to air time on Time Warner’s New York cable system; are contained in Time Warner’s suit seeking to bar transmission of Fox News Channel on city-operated channel

November 4, 1996

Ex-tex on November 25, 2007 at 2:25 PM

In Fox News, Giuliani Finds a Friendly Stage

So far this year, one political journal found, Mr. Giuliani has logged more time on Fox interview programs than any other candidate. Most of the time has been spent with Sean Hannity, an acknowledged admirer of the former mayor, according to the data compiled by the journal, known as The Hotline.

Fox executives say Mr. Giuliani’s appearances have been driven by his news value and by his status as a front-runner, not by his relationship with Mr. Ailes.

Ex-tex on November 25, 2007 at 2:31 PM

He was expanding the scope.

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Fair enough. But he was still responding to the presentation of TWO Fox analysts and his calling them “your guys” was a personalization in response to Wallace’s setup. Does that mean he is blaming Fox (or the media) for his position in the polls because he is desperate? Again, how would you have him reply? I just don’t understand the harsh criticism of this particular exchange and writing off his campaign as desperate – as exemplified by “typical-ness” (sorry – couln’t come up with a real word) of his tactics here.

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 2:36 PM

I’m still voting for Fred. No one has given me a good reason to vote for anyone else.

Rose on November 25, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Anyone wanting the entire interview can listen here

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 2:39 PM

taterblade on November 25, 2007 at 2:36 PM

Yes, he was responding to a Fox poll and two Fox commenters. But that is standard fare, every network references their own polls and quotes the people they pay to contribute. Standard fare for every show.

I’m not trying to be harsh, I have no agenda to push. I agree, it was a generalization – one that was us vs. them. If you have a different observation then my own as to when candidates tend to change responses/strategies (here from well wait and see to us vs them) I’d be glad to hear it.

As to your other question, I though minus the comments about Fox, his answer was fine. It was those comments that made it different and note-worthy.

Spirit of 1776 on November 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Weren’t commenters complainging that FOX NEWS was in the bag for Rudy before this aired. People do notice.

Fred has a point with the “constant mantra.” You would never Fred was running second nationally if you watched the news. The constant mantra has an effect. When I talk to people about the candidates the people that look at the issues have a very different take on Fred than the people that only wat5ch the news. I tell news watching people he is running second nationally, looks great in South Carolina and that no Republican nominee has ever lost South Carolina they give me this quizzical look, as if they are a puppy to which I have given an unfamiliar command.

As soon as his cadidacy was official the script completely changed. Honestly who has not noticed this? Fred has been on the campaign trail and getting very little coverage while doing so. Before I scroll up and look for myself I’ll guess Allahpundit has posted this thread. Heh, yup. At least you are consistent Allahpundit.

And yes when you look at policy the other candidates have not gotten past bullet points. Rudy is a wide open target on immigration. I have yet to hear anyone ask him for a detailed plan on immigration; beyond “I’ll stop illegal immmigration” Rudy is silent. What is his policy towards the illegals already here? Is this question only obvious to me? It is impossible that no one in the MSM has thought to ask hm the question.

Theworldisnotenough on November 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM

But has any candidate, Giuliani included, been hyped more consistently or enthusiastically by Sean Hannity than Fred? AP

Hannity is a commentator not a journalist. We know where Sean is coming from. I think Fred did a good job and I think Chris Wallace thinks so too…

Nelsa on November 25, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Theworldisnotenough on November 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM

You nailed it!

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 2:54 PM

That was a very good response by Fred. Kudos to the Fredsters.

Vizzini on November 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM

That’s because the national polls are increasingly irrelevant. There is no national primary. You win delegates state by state and as I’ve already mentioned in this thread, Fred does no better than third in any early primary state except SC. If it makes you Fred supporters feel better to think the media and blogs are out to get him, knock yourselves out.

But since you’re so keen on national polls, do note the trend. Fred was in the low 20s nationally when he first announced. After two months of being out on the trail and issuing policy proposals, he’s averaging not quite 15%. Must be that darned media.

Allahpundit on November 25, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Wah!

Weebork on November 25, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Really! Whining is just what I want in a president. Similar to CHillary’s tactics……”They’re picking on me because I’m a woman.” (The jury is still out on that.)

Fred brought it on himself. I was a Fred supporter until he dragged his feet announcing and hasn’t done a thing to separate himself since. This crying won’t help matters much either.

We don’t even have a clear nominee yet and this is turning out to be 1996 all over again with the weak choices. I’ll vote for whoever is the nominee, but only because the alternative is scary…

stacman on November 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Fred’s national average is higher than Mitt’s. If Mitt is ahead in the early states he must be behind in the other states to balance out so low. Conversely if Fred is behind in the early states he must be a little ahead of Mitt in the other states to balance out higher.

Rose on November 25, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I think Fred did a great job!

See more reaction here

Connie on November 25, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Whining is just what I want in a president.

stacman on November 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Did he whine or what that a little bit of deliberate word-twisting coming from a non-Fred-friendly source?

Did you actually watch the video?

Scroll down a bit to watch. I didn’t see any whining.

Connie on November 25, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Maybe he should go on Oprah, Dr. Phil and The View. Cry a little about how the right wing network is being unfair and let Jeri talk about how sensitive/metro he is behind the gruff facade….
Might push his numbers up a couple of percentage points!

Bradky on November 25, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Fred made a very important point that at least one voter (myself) has noticed, and that’s that he has put forth some pretty thoughtful policy positions on items like Social Security, immigration, the military, etc. — there’s no question as to where he stands because he’s done the work and put it out there. Meanwhile, Rudy and Mitt are still trying to remember which stand they took on which issue last. I’m still liking Fred. I like Rudy and I like Mitt very much, but they seem like lightweights with all of their cajoling of positions.

D2Boston on November 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Ok, what did i miss? Looked like a set up from the start to knock Fred one way or the other…hmmm, he defends himself and now he’s complaining? I don’t think so, he’s in a campaign for hell sakes. I personally will wait to the end and see who the Repub’s select as their candidate…I will say this, Giuliani reminds me a lot of G.W. another ‘compassionate conservative(ha)’ we don’t need.

oldernslower on November 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Does this headline sound better?

Fred takes Fox News out to the woodshed

AP, I thought we had a chat about this the other day. ~ Mom

Connie on November 25, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Connie on November 25, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Connie I do wonder why a small part of the interview was posted rather than the entire interview. Fred looked great in the whole interview. Why was the substance on his ideals and policies not the focus?

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 3:59 PM

I’d recommend checking his website or the realclearpolitics.com for the transcript.

I’d hate to see AllahPundit become the “leader of the PAC”!

Bradky on November 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Bradky on November 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM

I linked the interview on my site, and in one of my posts here. My point is why has it been SPUN, if you will, by Newbusters, here and other places as Fred vs Fox? The really important parts were ignored. Fred really explained a lot of his policies, THAT should be the main focus.

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:06 PM

I looked at Connie’s link, Fred did do a good job. Why is it that when Fred defends or explains himself it’s whining but when Mitt and Rudy do it it’s not whining? I don’t see any difference. These men are running for office and deserve to have their say when they feel they are treated unfairly.

Rose on November 25, 2007 at 4:09 PM

I hope these Hot Air threads aren’t a microcosm of the GOP electorate. So much animosity over what is arguably one of the strongest line-up of candidates we’ve had in years. Whoever it is, we sure as hell better be united and energized behind him… Rudy’s my guy, but I’ll be 200% behind any of our guys (none of whom I agree 100% with). Crunch time is soon, and we’d better be positive when it comes.

Halley on November 25, 2007 at 4:21 PM

It’s on Drudge now, with a link to thehill.com

This won’t play well for Fred.

JiangxiDad on November 25, 2007 at 4:25 PM

JiangxiDad on November 25, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Any thinking person who watches the WHOLE interview will be very impressed with Thompson. Glad to see everyone is ignoring the SUBSTANCE of the interview on ideals and issues to focus on this short exchange. Give me a break!

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:06 PM

I notice this happening as well, Gatordoug. In both the mass media and obviously here on blogs. It is basically the tabloid-izing of the news.

Let’s say there were 5 major points to come out of the interview with Fred Thompson. Instead of choosing one of his points on policy, the mass media and blogs choose “FRED VS FOX NEWS!”. So we get 2-3 days of discussion on “FRED VS FOX NEWS!” and no discussion on major policy issues. It is a distraction technique. The mass media and Democrats do not want policy discussed. They want these stupid, petty stories discussed. And it seems as though the blogs are also playing right into this.

AllahPundit and HotAir do a great job of getting the details of news and policy most of the time, but posts like this are frustrating to me. Let the mass media do this nonsense and let us focus on adult things such as policy. Especially since the mass media refuses to discuss policy.

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 4:35 PM

I guess I expect better from Conservatives, as you clearly do as well. Very well said!

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:32 PM

There’s always more beyond the soundbite. Both messages have to be tended to.

JiangxiDad on November 25, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I notice this happening as well

Michael– just noticing? Isn’t this exactly why the MSM is an echo chamber and people who listen only to it end up knowing nothing? This has been a problem for decades now.

People here want to know a lot about the candidates. But there’s nothing wrong with pointing out that the sound bite is gonna kill him.

JiangxiDad on November 25, 2007 at 4:44 PM

JiangxiDad on November 25, 2007 at 4:40 PM

Which is why I prefer hearing the whole thing, and not being misled as to what was said. I can think for myself. Which, of course, is why I already had watched the interview.

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:44 PM

JiangxiDad on November 25, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Anyone who decides one way or the other about voting for Thompson based on that likely should not vote, operate a car, an umbrella, or a can opener.

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Does this headline sound better?

Fred takes Fox News out to the woodshed

AP, I thought we had a chat about this the other day. ~ Mom

Connie on November 25, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Sure, if you like Fantasy blogs.

The truth of the matter is that Fred blows as a campaigner, and now he’s whining about the media not giving him a fair shake.

Two words, Fred: Duncan Hunter. He’s everything you are, except better, less corrupt, and more of a proven conservative in every concievable way. He sucked at campaigning and getting attention too, but at least he didn’t whine about it.

BKennedy on November 25, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:47 PM

You keep pointing out the same thing. Yes, stipulated. People should go beyond the sound bite. Intelligent people should and do.

However, what does that have to do with the fact that millions of voters won’t? That is why it is wise to try to manage your simple messages too– the one-liners that will make the news and sway many voters. It is in that regard that Freds’ comments about Fox may likely backfire.

JiangxiDad on November 25, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:47 PM

But Sadly they will, and we cant really fault AP for his part in it, he does what he was hired to do and he does it quite well. Michelle did not hire AP to be Chris Wallace, she hired him to get people to read and comment. AP does what he does for the exact same reason that the MSM does it, because it works. The simple fact is that we are here and we are reading and we are commenting, score one more for AP.

doriangrey on November 25, 2007 at 4:53 PM

JiangxiDad on November 25, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Sorry I refuse to sell out to the dumbing down of evertything in this country!

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Sorry I refuse to sell out to the dumbing down of evertything in this country!

Non-sequitor. Let’s call it quits.

JiangxiDad on November 25, 2007 at 4:59 PM

doriangrey on November 25, 2007 at 4:53 PM

I was not pointing blame at AP. I AM expressing my frustration with how everyone seems to ignore substance and obssess over meaningless, or far less meaningful matters.
We OUGHT to expect more of ourselves shouldn’t we?

We HAVE the MSM to spin and omit content based on their slanted ideals. WE as Conservatives ought to do better.

Today I have taken note that those who saw ONLY the clip on YouTube reacting negatively towards Thompson. Those viewing the entitre interview are reacting positively to him.

Sorry, substance matters and I fear what kind of leader we wil elect if we continue to ignore it.

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 5:02 PM