NFL week 12 open thread: Thanksgiving leftovers

posted at 12:00 pm on November 25, 2007 by Bryan

The Thanksgiving Day three-game schedule featured three of the four top-tier teams, and they all won — the Pack dropped the Lions, the Cowboys ripped the awful Jets and the Colts whipped the Falcons. The only one of the top four playing today are the Patriots, who host the struggling Eagles (5-5). Odds are the Pats stay perfect. Other games of interest include Jax hosting the resurgent Bills, the 7-3 Giants (two of those losses to 10-1 Dallas and the other to the 10-1 Packers, so they might be quite a bit better than even that 7-3 record suggests) hosting Minnesota, the Chargers hosting the Ravens (both teams need a win to stay alive in the playoff hunt), and Monday night’s game sets up the Steelers to thrash the Dolphins. Then again, the Steelers did lose to the Jets a week ago, so anything is possible in that one.

Just kidding. Steelers by two touchdowns, minimum.

Comments

Four days until the Cowboy/Packer clash! I guess I will just have to live off of yesterday’s glory. Tim Tebow locking up the Heisman and my Gators thumping FSU!

Gatordoug on November 25, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Today, Denver will take the AFC West, Cutler will have over 300 yards passing, and peace will burst forth from the middle east.

Weight of Glory on November 25, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Yeah, the Giants are actually better than their record shows, and Rudy isn’t really pandering on illegal immigration, he has always been against it, ha-ha!
If you cant beat Green Bay and Dallas, you won’t get very far in the playoffs.
Hey Rudy, no one is beleiving your Ass-kissing on illegal immigration either.

paulsur on November 25, 2007 at 12:23 PM

As a Packer fan, there’s nothing to get excited about today. The NFC North title is virtually a lock. The big game is next Thursday at Dallas – for home field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

packsoldier on November 25, 2007 at 12:35 PM

The only drama of the Eagles-Patriots game is if the Pats will cover the spread. Last I heard about it, it was 20+ points!?!

As much as I hate rooting for the Packers, I was very glad to see them whoop the Lions here on Thursday and expose them further as the frauds that they have been all season. heh. However, I will now go back to rooting against the Pack and hope my Bears can salvage this season with at least defeating the Pack at Soldier Field for a season sweep. Not likely, but neither was that win at Lambeau earlier this season. Speaking of which, the Packers’ only loss this season is to the BEARS. heheh

Anyway, I actually get to see the Bears play Denver today, since the Lions are not on today here. Thank goodness. Though, if the Broncos expose the Bears’ porous defense again, I may wish I wasn’t able to watch them. Hopefully Grossman and the offense can light up that Denver ‘D’ and put on a show for the home crowd. Chicago fans haven’t been able to enjoy a win at home since Week 2 against KC. *Ugh*

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM

And the Steelers have shown that they can crumble in games that should have been a lock. My only saving grace here in “da burgh” is that I was born in WI and my Packers are doing great.

mrfixit on November 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Go Packers. What a wonderful weekend this is turning out to be. Missouri won and so will the Packers. :)

katieanne on November 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM

katieanne on November 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM
I’m a Purdue alum, but have become a fan of anyone who plays University of Michigan since I moved here to the Detroit area in 1999. Where I work there are so many UM grads and some of them are just so arrogant about their football team that it rubbed me the wrong way. Especially since I have gotten grief (to put it lightly) about being a Purdue grad.

Anyway, I got so sick of it that I slowly morphed from a “anyone who plays Michigan” fan into an Ohio State fan and have relished their dominance over Michigan the last few years with Jim Tressel at the helm.

That said (yes, I am getting to my point), since I am an OSU fan now, I was rooting for Missouri to take down Kansas to allow OSU to move up to #3. And next week I will be rooting for OU to take down Missouri in the Big XII Championship, so that OSU will play WVU for the title. :) Sorry, nothing against Missouri. They look like a solid team. I watched them last night against KU and was really impressed, especially with that QB you guys have. So good luck to Missouri, but I’ll be rooting for OU, for the benefit ot OSU. Were it not for that, I’d probably root for Missouri, since they are the feel-good story and underdog.

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 1:12 PM

Michael in MI, gotta love the OSU talk…

And speaking of Ohio teams, can anyone believe the Browns are still battling for a playoff berth? Let’s go CLEVELAND!

JustinHiggins on November 25, 2007 at 1:20 PM

Redskins: two possessions, two fumbles.

It’s going to be a long day.

CookeyD on November 25, 2007 at 1:29 PM

Patriots/Eagles….PA gets spanked like a step child.

Limerick on November 25, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Packers/Dallas….the bad news is the Dallas secondary…the good news is the Dallas defensive line. Toss up…gonna be a good game.

Limerick on November 25, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Michael in MI, Mizzou has just had such a great year. We have been so-so for so long that this is really a high. Being a Cub fan, it is nice to see one of my teams really go to the top!

I think Texas is seriously sorry that they thought a lack of 3 inches was a deterrent to being a good quarterback. They didn’t even offer for Daniel until another QB pick had fallen through. Daniel was a afterthought to them. Missouri’s coach was smart and went after Daniel first off. Our receivers are awesome and our defense really came through.

I hope Ohio plays well, but that it’s Missouri that goes against WVU. Sooners are going down. It’s been some great football this year. I love that. Lots of top dogs went down. It’s good for the sport. Also, I don’t like Michigan either. Family tradition. They sound alot like Nebraska fans. No one is crying about their bad year here. LOL

katieanne on November 25, 2007 at 2:07 PM

I will chime in here and give props to my boys,
the once-proud-will-be-proud-again-but-suck-this-year Rams.

Hosting the Seahags at home, the Rams are holding on to a
9-point 3rd Q lead.

In both of clueless noob Scott Linehan’s first two seasons
as HC, the Rams have 8 game losing streaks. he wont be back next year. this year’s team couldnt beat the JV squad at St. Clete’s Academy for Wayward Girls. dont even get me started on the owner Georgia F.

But i have to stick with them, coz thats how it is in my neighborhood. Winning the Super Bowl in Jan 2000 was a godsend.

Mike D. on November 25, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Could someone let Manning the Lesser know that throwing the ball to the other team is not a good plan?

Drew on November 25, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Patriots go 11-0 by 21 points.

This is a conservative estimate.

BKennedy on November 25, 2007 at 3:48 PM

w00t go jags

tlynch001 on November 25, 2007 at 5:34 PM

Devin Hester strikes again! Woohoo!

Now, if only the rest of the team could get its collective arse together, the Bears may actually have a chance to win. The defense seems to have forgotten how to tackle ever since Halftime of the Week 3 game vs Dallas and the offense hasn’t been able to do anything since… well all season long. *ugh*

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 6:10 PM

The Bears can thank their special teams for all of their points. Nothing like a blocked punt and a rugby scrum.

Oh, and I assume you’re taking the Eagles and the long 23, BKennedy? For shame!

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:15 PM

steveegg – heh I was just coming here to post that it seems the Bears figured out that since they can’t play football very well, they can try to play some rugby and see if that works. heh Oh well. If the defense can step up here, they have a chance, but I don’t have any faith in the Bears offense at all. Granted, I don’t have much faith in the Bears defense either.

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 7:19 PM

I don’t fragging believe it; the Bears have tied it up with offense!

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:34 PM

After further review, the Bears left too much time on the clock. 28 seconds left, tie game, both teams out of time-outs.

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:38 PM

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:38 PM

I was thinking the same thing. The last time they did this exact thing, they allowed Adrian Peterson of the Vikings to return the kickoff to midfield and then they kicked a 55 yard FG to beat the Bears. I’m waiting for the same thing to happen.

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Fortunately, Denver is just as stupid; draw play with no time-outs, then commit an illegal motion/false start to end regulation.

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:41 PM

They needed only roughly 35 yards to get Elam into position. They had 22 seconds to do it.

Denver, we have a problem. Devin Hester has won the toss and elected to receive.

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Gotta feel for Cardinals fans. Rackers just missed a fairly easy 32 yard FG in OT that would have beaten the 49ers and put them into the last Wildcard playoff spot at the moment.

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Oh well; that game’s dead to me because I gave the long 10 1/2.

Where did this Bear offense come from?

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:45 PM

And San Fran takes the game.

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Un-fragging-believable. The Bears came all the way back to ruin another one of my picks.

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Wow. How the hell did they just win that game. Amazing.

And geez, I would be pissed were I a Cardinals fan right now. Blowing that game after missing a makeable FG. They would have been in great playoff position for the rest of the season. But now, they are 1 game out. Oh well. At least that helps the Bears really slim chances of making the playoffs, so I can’t feel too bad about the Cardinals losing. heh

But geez. The entire Bears team better pitch in to buy Devin Hester a drink… or maybe a new car. He was their entire offense that game. Without him, they get blown out.

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 7:52 PM

I vote for drinks, preferably right before the 23rd :-)

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Wow. Just wow. I’m glad I caught the end of the Bears game. Amazing comeback.

Drey Bly is going to be a very unpopular guy in the locker room this evening. His penalty made the Bears victory possible.

Slublog on November 25, 2007 at 8:00 PM

That’s Dre’ Toasted Bly.

I wonder what kind of mood Bryan’s going to be in on Friday.

steveegg on November 25, 2007 at 8:02 PM

I dunno. That penalty was kinda iffy, I thought. And I’m a Bears fan. Had that happened the other way, I would be a bit miffed. I was actually a little annoyed that Moose didn’t come down with that catch. It hit him in the hands, but as the Bears receivers were doing all night, he dropped it. Olsen (TE) had some big drops too on that same drive earlier.

The Bears got bailed out on that call. But then made the most of it, so I will give them credit for that. They still have SO many holes on defense, it is really tough for me to get too excited about the team. I really don’t know what their problem is. I don’t know how they could go from being SO dominant the first 2 1/2 games of the season and then SPLAT, go to a really crappy defense now. They were just big time dominant against LT and Larry Johnson in the first two games and then were doing a good job for 1 half against the Cowboys. Even had the lead in that game I believe. And I think it was 10-10 entering the 4th QTR. And then BLAM, the wheels just fell off and they haven’t been the same defense since. Injuries have been a part of it, but really it’s just piss-poor tackling and not staying in their lanes to keep containment.

They had a lot of that this game against Denver. They burned the Bears on that pitchout throw I don’t know how many times. Teams used to never be able to run stretch plays like that on the Bears D, because they were so fast. Now, it seems like they can’t tackle and they can’t cover. They’re just so… average. Hurts to watch them after having a dominant defense the last 2-3 years.

Oh well. G-men are next at Soldier Field. Hopefully the Bears can build off this win and the G-men continue their free fall.

Michael in MI on November 25, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Pats/Eagles…one play, one score…let’s see what they can do on offense though

Blitz on November 25, 2007 at 8:34 PM

NICE drive

Blitz on November 25, 2007 at 8:40 PM

The Eagle’s D is playing out of their minds in the second half.

burnitup on November 25, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Yup…this is ridiculous!…but then again? A.J Feeley is a Pats killer

Blitz on November 25, 2007 at 10:58 PM

LUCKY win…The Eagles outplayed the Pats in almost every category.

Blitz on November 25, 2007 at 11:48 PM

Blitz on November 25, 2007 at 11:48 PM

Credit to Feeley for shredding the Pats pass defense.
Eagles D was all over Brady tonight.

Yep, Lucky win is right.

miketheman on November 26, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Will the Pats now win out? That’s the big question. As for MNF, gooooo dolphins!!!!

P.S.- I’m a Browns fan