Woman who asked Hillary moronic “diamonds/pearls” question: CNN set me up!

posted at 12:19 pm on November 16, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m mildly suspicious that her MySpace page says she’s 15 years old when she introduced herself last night as being a UNLV student, but maybe she just hasn’t updated the page in awhile. Ambinder claims to have confirmed that she is who she says she is with one of her friends and the MySpace photo does look just like her, so, fine.

She’s speaking out this morning because her classmates understandably want to know why she’d ask a question that makes them all look developmentally disabled by extension. Don’t blame me, she responds, blame CNN. Would they really sandbag one of their questioners this way? Well … yeah.

“Every single question asked during the debate by the audience had to be approved by CNN,” Luisa writes. “I was asked to submit questions including “lighthearted/fun” questions. I submitted more than five questions on issues important to me. I did a policy memo on Yucca Mountain a year ago and was the finalist for the Truman Scholarship. For sure, I thought I would get to ask the Yucca question that was APPROVED by CNN days in advance.”…

That’s what the media does. See, the media chose what they wanted, not what the people or audience really wanted. That’s politics; that’s reality. So, if you want to read about real issues important to America–and the whole world, I suggest you pick up a copy of the Economist or the New York Times or some other independent source.

Follow the link to read the question she wanted to ask. In CNN’s defense, the “diamonds/pearls” debate is increasingly germane to Democratic voters these days.

Comments

Wolf was a plant.

faraway on November 16, 2007 at 12:23 PM

How can anyone possibly take these Democrats seriously if they continue to be afraid of the tough questions? If questions and answering them honestly is too scary to cope with, what will dealing with Al Quaeda do to them? More hiding of their heads in the sand? How wonderful for the US.

katieanne on November 16, 2007 at 12:24 PM

MySpace used to automatically make pages private for anyone under 15, and changing your age to 14 used to be the only way to get a private page (and shield yourself from having your page scrutinized by potential employers). She could have artificially changed her age for that reason and just not changed it when MySpace introduced the option to make your page private no matter what your age.

its vintage duh on November 16, 2007 at 12:24 PM

This was definitely pro-Clinton and anti-Obama and Edwards. It was so obvious, no wonder I turned CNN off 10 years ago.

bopbottle on November 16, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Why was that question asked to Hillary anyway? Silky wore a beautiful diamond broach on his lapel. I bought one just like it for my wife. Plant schmant. CNN is guilty of sexism!

JiangxiDad on November 16, 2007 at 12:29 PM

The Clinton News Network. Wolf is vying for a Hildebeast White House press sec job.

csdeven on November 16, 2007 at 12:29 PM

brooch

JiangxiDad on November 16, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Flash: Clinton News Network returns after 7 year hiatus

Valiant on November 16, 2007 at 12:30 PM

at least she plugged the economist. best writing anywhere

ernesto on November 16, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Whoops.

So the question is: do all the campaigns do this?

Is Hillary just the only one inept enough to get caught?

Professor Blather on November 16, 2007 at 12:32 PM

cackleles laugh?

abinitioadinfinitum on November 16, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Actually I enjoyed the format of this debate the best. It was a little rough and tumble. No clocks, buzzers, etc. Audience could boo or hiss. What else could you ask for? (I know… decent follow up questions.)

faraway on November 16, 2007 at 12:35 PM

CNN is guilty of sexism!

JiangxiDad on November 16, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Hmmmm. Interesting point. Why doesn’t this play into the idea that Hillary is still playing the gender card? She should have rejected the remark as sexist if she was really running on her record and not the fact that she has a repository for a Snuke.

csdeven on November 16, 2007 at 12:37 PM

The question was stupid, as were many others. I just loved the Muslim who stood up and declared his biggest concern was racial profiling at airports. He looked like a plant himself.

Wolf made the initial mistake of not informing the audience to refrain from clapping. Hearing some of those questions from the audience just reaffirmed my belief that just because you are a citizen 18 years of age or over, you should not automatically be eleigible to vote.

awake on November 16, 2007 at 12:37 PM

“Cast not pearls before swine” –
Do not waste good things on people who will not appreciate them.

abinitioadinfinitum on November 16, 2007 at 12:38 PM

How fitting. CNN pulls out someone not to simply ask a question about Iran, but with absolute moral authority given her son’s service. And just as we learn that the IAEA has confirmed Iran’s having installed 3,000 centrifuges. CNN works to undermine our ability to respond just as it may become critical. Great, just great! Thanks, CNN.

CNN rolled out a Catherine Jackson to ask a question about Iran given that her son served three tours in Iraq.

Now when have I heard that before? How about in May. Thank you Harry Reid.

“My son was in Iraq three times,” said Catherine Jackson of Las Vegas. “I thank God he’s home now. Enough is enough. We need to bring our troops home.” Reid spokesman Jon Summers said Move America Forward was mischaracterizing Reid’s position. “It’s their right to make their feelings known, but most Nevadans agree with Senator Reid that it’s time to change course in Iraq,” he said.

bnelson44 on November 16, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Didn’t anyone just think of sending cnn a BS question and then asking the real question once they were on the air? Come on people its not that hard and you will get to see where these tools really stand.

Mojack420 on November 16, 2007 at 12:38 PM

oh my freaking lord!

“Um excuse me Sen Clinton, what is better Sex and the City or Desperate Housewives?”

GREENTURTLE on November 16, 2007 at 12:42 PM

When that’s the kind of questions that get asked, Republicans win.

AlexB on November 16, 2007 at 12:43 PM

CNN orchestrated nothing less than a Hillary lovefest. No surprise there.

The questions, from “independent voters” in the crowd, were all softballs for the candidates. No surprise there either.

The audience applauded everything Hillary had to say, and giggled in unison with her cackles. These people live in Nevada and vote Harry Reid into office …. so no surprise there.

To summarize then, pure crapola.

fogw on November 16, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Mojack420 on November 16, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Yeah, I’d love to see that more. It’s not like the person could be arrested or anything.

Back in the Clinton years, Bubba started yelling during a “town meeting” after some guy asked him, “Can you name one country which has taxed and spent itself into prosperity?”

I’d pay good money to see someone do the same thing to Her Thighness.

Splashman on November 16, 2007 at 12:49 PM

csdeven on November 16, 2007 at 12:37 PM

I’m embarrassed to say I’ve never seen South Park. I thought it was just a kid’s show. I guess it was pretty clever political and social commentary. I’m going to try and get some episodes from the library and see what I’ve missed. (Never played a vid. game either; still have one rotary phone. They might want me for the Smithsonian.)

JiangxiDad on November 16, 2007 at 12:51 PM

at least she plugged the economist. best writing anywhere

I canceled my subscription when they endorsed Lurch over Bush. IMO, that was unconscionable.

JiangxiDad on November 16, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Joe “Diamond State” Biden yelling “DIAMONDS”! HOW SORRY IS THAT?????

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on November 16, 2007 at 12:56 PM

I THOUGHT SHE PREFERRED “TEETH”

As for the gifts, the tooth-like Chanel watch – which has a bracelet made of white squares – was apparently a sweet reminder of Hillary’s trip to the oral surgeon. “I had dental surgery, and [Bill] said it reminded him of teeth,” she cooed.

Hillary did not elaborate on the kinds of romantic gifts she has given Bill.

Brat on November 16, 2007 at 12:59 PM

JiangxiDad on November 16, 2007 at 12:51 PM

All their episodes are available on their website.

csdeven on November 16, 2007 at 1:03 PM

I assume they’ll ask John Edwards the same question? Or will they focus on his choice of makeup?

BillLalor on November 16, 2007 at 1:05 PM

lol, the Economist endorsed Kerry? Really?

I was surprised when Dan Drezner endorsed Kerry as well. I just penciled it into the “when smart people act dumb” category.

gabriel sutherland on November 16, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Mojack, I’m with you. All this making of excuses after the fact just seem so whiny! Nobody had the guts to ask their original question to begin with. This girl knew what her first question was and there was no one forcing her to ask the diamond/pearl question. What could they do at that point if she did stand up for herself and ask the right one in a polite manner? Throw her out?

No, these people are getting criticized and don’t like it. Sure, they were told what questions to ask. And like little CNN/Clinton Network drones, they asked them. But now it’s found out, people aren’t so happy and these plants have to have some kind of excuse.

But, they’d do it again if they had the chance. They got on TV didn’t they?

serpentineshel on November 16, 2007 at 1:09 PM

That’s a plant with plenty if fertilizer to boot

Kini on November 16, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Okay so the question was about diamonds versus pearls but how does that relate to our immediate withdrawal from Iraq? I am sure that was in the answer right? Make it a game. You must answer every question by including something about surrendering in Iraq.

LakeRuins on November 16, 2007 at 1:14 PM

I said that last night. It was so obvious that the question was planted so the spotlight would shine on Hillary as the grand finale of the debate.

Connie on November 16, 2007 at 1:19 PM

lol, the Economist endorsed Kerry? Really?

Yup!

JiangxiDad on November 16, 2007 at 1:20 PM

csdeven on November 16, 2007 at 1:03 PM

tks.

JiangxiDad on November 16, 2007 at 1:20 PM

Seeeexist!

Speakup on November 16, 2007 at 1:23 PM

She was asked to submit some “lighthearted/fun” questions? I wonder, if and when CNN hosts Republican debates, do they request “lighthearted/fun” questions? That would be interesting to find out. If they do then thats fine. It just shows that they are equal dispensers of their frivolity. But if they don’t, that would signify and solidify the fact that they are trying to boost the likeabiltiy factor of the Dem candidates and surpress the likeability factor of the Republican candidates. I find it more interesting that one of Hillary’s main obsticals is her likeability.

CNN – I don’t watch… but I – See – You!

Zetterson on November 16, 2007 at 1:25 PM

I guess the best person to ask about “pearls” should be Bill. He’s given out a lot of them over the years, too bad not many to Hillary.

madmonaco on November 16, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Did anyone catch how Obama proclaimed that anyone who makes over $97K is NOT in the middle class?

pullingmyhairout on November 16, 2007 at 1:45 PM

If she wanted to ask her question about Yucca mountain, why didn’t she? What trouble was she going to get into by throwing the diamonds question out the window? She is, supposedly, a college student. ASK THE QUESTION YOU WANT TO ASK OR STAND UP AND SAY ‘THIS IS THE QUESTION THAT WAS APPROVED FOR ME TO ASK’. It’s time to call the media out on the DEBATES.

PappaMac on November 16, 2007 at 1:54 PM

pullingmyhairout on November 16, 2007 at 1:45 PM

That figure puts my husband and me at poverty level. $97K sounds pretty good to me.

Connie on November 16, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Splashman on November 16, 2007 at 12:49 PM

how do you think she would handle this one ????

would i be assure of getting an irs audit if she wins???

Dear Mrs. pantsuit with the arrest of one of your hillraisers the fugitive from justice Norman Hsu and your campaign getting contributions from people your husband pardoned on his way out of the white house and all the plants you have used in this debate and other forms why should anyone trust a word you say .

Mojack420 on November 16, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Mojack420 on November 16, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Remember a few weeks ago a guy in the audience asked the queen (no, I’m not talking about John Edwards) a question that she didn’t expect or didn’t want to answer and she accused him of being a plant? This could be what you are talking about Mojack. Her handlers had this guy all primed to ask a planted question and he threw a surprise at her and made her look like a fool. How sweet it is!!!

OBX Pete on November 16, 2007 at 2:09 PM

No one forced this kid to ask the approved question. She didn’t have to cause trouble by asking a good question instead. All she had to do to retain her dignity was not to ask the stupid question. But then, she wouldn’t have been on the news.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 16, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Connie on November 16, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Maybe I should clarify: Last night when asked about eliminating the cap on payroll taxes, Obama said that 6% of Americans make over $97K per year and that he didn’t consider that 6% as being “middle class.” (This is NOT a direct quote.) Basically, he insinuated that people who make, say, $110K are WEALTHY. I immediately said to my husband, “Wow! He just lowered that magical $200K number to $97K!!”

My point is, that now he considers those who make over $97K wealthy. Clinton, to her credit, knocked him down.

I guess $97K is a lot of money if you live in say, rural Texas. It’s not a lot if you live in NYC or LA.

Obama just offered up a HUGE tax increase on those who are truly middle class. Utterly amazing…

pullingmyhairout on November 16, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Am I the only one who feels it’s more likely than not that Hillary’s camp was behind this? We saw in the clip Bryan posted last night Hillary say essentially. “They aren’t attacking because I’m a woman, but damn if I ain’t one, am I right folks!” As I noted then, only in front of a crowd of Democrats could you get cheered for coming out and going against the gender card you’ve been playing, and in the same breath play that gender card again. We all saw the Drudge headlines before the debate, that Wolf had been warned by the Hillary camp to not go all Russertish, and we saw it play out when Wolf didn’t follow-up with Hillary on immigration.. he accepted her “no” and moved on. Today Drudge has the quotes of Hillary staffers praising Wolf’s performance. In light of all that, I can’t help but find this “diamonds/pearls” thing suspicious. Clinton News Network? Maybe more than we know.

RightWinged on November 16, 2007 at 2:46 PM

To clarify, I don’t think the Hillary camp spoke with the girl, I think that there IS a chance though that Hillary camp worked with CNN on what questions to ask her, and then CNN figured out the rest.

RightWinged on November 16, 2007 at 2:48 PM

$97k per individual is still a chuck of change. I lived in Silicon Valley for a # of years, and it ain’t middle class living. But yeah, I agree with your general point, pullingmyhairout

RW Wacko on November 16, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Why didn’t she simply ask the question she wanted to, and ignore CNN’s handlers? What are they gonna do, black her out?

mojo on November 16, 2007 at 2:50 PM

This is one of the few I saw, it really got my blood boiling, personally my biggest concern at airports is that they’re not going to catch someone getting onto a airplane with bomb material. I couldn’t care less about some whiney POS worried that he might be racially profiled. I understand that we must give up some civil liberties to ensure our security when we have Islamoterrorists who have attacked us and continue to plot against us.

All the questions were soft and weak, I guess the dhimmocrat base doesn’t expect too much of their leaders.

4shoes on November 16, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Media credibility is now racing that of Democrats to reach zero. Oops, there they are!

Wolf Blitzer “Poodle Tinkler”

drunyan8315 on November 16, 2007 at 3:05 PM

This girl counts the NYT as an “independent source”?

ROFL

Labamigo on November 16, 2007 at 3:14 PM

JiangxiDad on November 16, 2007 at 1:20 PM

A word of advice: find somebody who knows South Park well and have them pick out one of the more clever episodes, maybe one that focuses on political satire.

If you choose the wrong episode – say something devoted to Oprah’s vagina … no, no kidding – you’re gonna hate it and miss out on all the fun. You may like those episodes, too, after a while … but I’d pick your first South Park carefully. Or you may run screaming from the room in horror.

I’m sure folks here could recommend some good choices.

Professor Blather on November 16, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Give that girl some miracle grow. She could have at least hid her Hillary button.

RobCon on November 16, 2007 at 3:42 PM

You nailed it.

mymanpotsandpans on November 16, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Wolf was is a plant.

faraway on November 16, 2007 at 12:23 PM

As in vegetation.

db on November 16, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Right. That’s what she said.

thegreatbeast on November 16, 2007 at 5:05 PM

I just noticed that the front-page screencap is good enough for a whole new Hillmood for article intros. That and she looks like she’s got a couple of those Space Station solar arrays coming out the sides of her head.

eeyore on November 16, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Friday, November 16, 2007
Hill’s Best Friend is CNN?
Posted by: Matt Lewis at 11:09 AM

CNN has long been called the “Clinton News Network,” but after last night’s debate, many today are asking if the name is more than just a joke reserved for Republicans.

If you watched the debate — or even just saw clips — it was obvious that the audience was stacked with Clinton supporters who not only applauded her — but booed any criticism of her.

Now, I’m not speculating that CNN helped “stack” the audience in her favor — that would be conspiratorial. But CNN clearly broke protocol by allowing the audience members to applaud and boo. Traditionally, a moderator will order the audience to keep quiet. That did not occur last night.

In football, you’ve probably heard of “the 12th man.” Well, last night, Hillary definitely had home field advantage. I can’t think of another debate, ever, where the audience was allowed to take control of the debate to this extent. By allowing this to occur, CNN was essentially helping guarantee a Hillary advantage.

So why was it allowed to occur?

As you’ll recall, after the last debate, the Clintons actually threw some elbows at moderator Tim Russert. At the time, I speculated that their attacks on Russert were meant as a warning for other moderators. Could it be that Wolf got the message?

According to Drudge:

CNN debate moderator Wolf Blitzer did an ‘outstanding’ job in Vegas, a senior adviser to the Hillary campaign said early Friday. ‘He was outstanding, and did not gang up like Russert did in Philadelphia. He avoided the personal attacks, remained professional and ran the best debate so far. Voters were the big winners last night.’

… But it wasn’t enough for CNN to help Hillary during the debate. By booking pro-Clinton “independent analysts” like James Carville and David Gergen, they ensured the post-debate spin would go her way. Obviously, both Carville and Gergen have worked for Bill Clinton — Carville in the campaign and Gergen in the Administration. How on earth could they be deemed to be impartial analysts?

Softball anyone?

Emphasis mine.

Speakup on November 16, 2007 at 6:38 PM

Like, fer sure, like, gag me with a spoon, grody to the max, like tubular man, like, I thought that was bitchen, totally, like eeww, grody, like that was totally awesome.

benrand on November 16, 2007 at 6:55 PM

benrand on November 16, 2007 at 6:55 PM

HUH???

OBX Pete on November 16, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Like gross me out, they totally made me say that, like, fer sure, and junk.

benrand on November 16, 2007 at 7:45 PM

That has taken the position of president of the United States to a whole new low if that is the level of questions you ask the contenders.

Does one over the other make you more suitable?

Hilary answered that like the thief that stole state gifts from the White House.

Hening on November 16, 2007 at 7:56 PM

CNN caved to Hillary. Hillary has a glass jaw and a huge ego made of gelatin. The Republicans need to swing aggressively and go for a knockout punch.

rplat on November 16, 2007 at 8:19 PM

This was her “Boxers of Briefs” question.

- The Cat

MirCat on November 16, 2007 at 10:46 PM

It’s not that the Dhems really fear the question they just fear people noticing that they have no answers. OR, they hold simultaneous contradictory truths with Orwellian ease, and hope nobody notices that either.

This was her “Boxers of Briefs” question. – The Cat MirCat on November 16, 2007 at 10:46 PM

For Bill it was more like the swallow or spit question. /sarc

Mojave Mark on November 16, 2007 at 11:19 PM

This was her “Boxers of Briefs” question.

- The Cat

That is so true!

I don’t think one question should have been used as a meter stick for the whole debate. Even I laughed. If the rest of the debate was snowball questions, then yeah…

This one question shouldn’t be used by Republicans as another tirade against her. Attack her on issues, not petty things. It makes you look petty instead.

mollo on November 17, 2007 at 1:15 AM

AND THE PURPOSE OF GETTING THE QUESTION IN: Hildebeast IS a woman (that’s right folks, quit wondering, put that one to bed, acts like a man but she ain’t). The CNN execs were wringing their hands over that one.

warriorlawyer on November 17, 2007 at 8:14 AM

Hitlery and Bill have a weakness that shows on their physical appearance-just like Pinocchio-and their communications.

When they consume or dispense “Whoppers” they physically get bigger and bigger and when they try to communicate a point that makes them look bigger than real life they can not avoid “flip-flopping”.

MSGTAS on November 17, 2007 at 9:07 AM

Boxers or Briefs vs Pearls or Diamonds

Important questions of the day!

Dasher on November 17, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Aren’t these ‘live debates’ on some sort of time-delay – 7 seconds or something?

Plenty of time for the censor to omit a person’s question, cut to commercial or develop some sort of technical difficulty if someone dares to ask an unapproved question.

Personally I think all the debates are staged (I’m inclined to include the Republicans too). You want to know that a person feels – look at their actual record.

CrazyFool on November 17, 2007 at 10:35 AM

When that’s the kind of questions that get asked, Republicans win.

AlexB on November 16, 2007 at 12:43 PM

True enough, but any germane question answered truthfully, Republicans win.

TheSitRep on November 17, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Umm…they are all developmentally disabled. Have you been around a teenager lately?

When that question was asked and answered, I truly thought I would puke. The way this is going I may lose 10lbs by January.

Rightwingsparkle on November 17, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Ha! Still having a laugh over this line.

Malpaso on November 17, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Remember Bill’s boxers or briefs question? Nothing is new with these people!

sophiesmom on November 17, 2007 at 9:40 PM

faraway says: wolf was a plant.

actually faraway, wolf IS a plant. and not much smarter than one, either.

gunter on November 18, 2007 at 1:03 AM

All things considered, I’d probably give Hillary a pearl necklace.

Not sure she’d want one, but there you go.

uptight on November 19, 2007 at 12:12 AM

I hope CNN is asking for a fee for the PR work they are doing for Hillary. But nevermind, Fox New is the biased outfit.

RobCon on November 19, 2007 at 1:26 PM

I felt as DUMB as a plant after watching even short snippets of this “debate”!

SouthernGent on November 20, 2007 at 7:08 PM