Video: Andy Levy calls Tancredo’s scare ad “disgusting”

posted at 2:55 pm on November 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

It’s in the last 30 seconds of this clip. Watch the whole thing if you’re in the mood for Bob Beckel and Dr. Keith Ablow suggesting, respectively, that because no terrorist attacks have come from a cross-border infiltration they never, ever will (although one almost did) and because the statistical odds of any of us dying in an attack are small we should all just mellow out, man. Levy pops in at the end to insist that immigration and terrorism are “two separate things,” which isn’t true at all. In fact, at least one report from 2004 claimed alleged AQ nuclear terrorist Adnan al-Shukrijumah had approached coyotes to smuggle him into the United States. Andy would have been on firmer ground if he’d knocked the ad for treating terrorism instead of economics as the core issue. Ah well. Thus ends the Hot Air audience’s love affair with Red Eye.

Here’s Tancredo’s appearance on H&C last night, with Colmes fusing the Beckel/Ablow lines into a glorious synthesis of idiocy. Takeaway: “Some? How many does it take?”

Comments

This is why Levy should only be seen at 3am.

csdeven on November 14, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Levy packed a lot of incoherence into few words. “The twenty million Mexicans who are apparenlty magically coming here to steal jobs”? It’s an estimated 20 mil Illegal aliens, not nearly all of whom are Mexican, and in his haste to belittle the economic impact of immigration he seems to be saying that the very act of migration is a “magical” fantasy. Presumably what he means is that the finite pie view of our job market is “magical” thinking, but that ignores wage impact (is supply and demand a magical law?) and the transfer payments from school, health care, EITC, etc.

What’s “disgusting” on everyone’s part, and disapointing on Tancredo’s, is talking about open borders in terms of security and not focusing on the not-at-all hypothetical issue of gangs like MS-13. They murder and terrorize in this country more consistently than any Islamic terrorist group but the cowards and cretins that make up panels like this insist on pretending they don’t exist, that only dishwashers are coming over the border…

Alex K on November 14, 2007 at 3:06 PM

greg came out in favor of amnesty months ago. why are you shocked?

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 3:07 PM

By the way, I cant speak for all HA readers but if obtuseness on immigration was automaticall disqualified a person from my affections, I’d be a sad, bitter man. I mean, even more so…

Alex K on November 14, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Tancredo was concerned that the ad might not be running on YouTube. He probably had enough money to produce the ad but not enough to do a significant media buy. Controversy + YouTube = viral marketing.

dedalus on November 14, 2007 at 3:08 PM

greg came out in favor of amnesty months ago. why are you shocked?

What? When?

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:09 PM

It was during one his gregalogues. I don’t remember the exact show but he made almost the same argument that chertoff made about the people opposing the amnesty bill.

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Red Blind Eye.

Michelle on November 14, 2007 at 3:16 PM

While Mexicans bus your table, they’re defending western civilization. While they blow the leaves off your lawn, they’re striking a blow against terror. Mexicans are the Mace against madmen, because they out-screw the creeps who kill for Allah. As we embrace cats over kids, Mexicans multiply – preventing us from becoming Europe – a continent flooded by people who hate them. Mexican families love this country. I don’t like Mexico (diarrhea, people) but I love Mexicans. If you are Mexican, and you aren’t here yet… then come… in every sense of the word. We welcome you with open arms and legs.

We need Mexicans more than they need us. They risk their lives to get here and they’re grateful to be here. So embrace the new front on the war on terror. He’s your waiter. He may be five foot two, but don’t be fooled. He’s tough.

From daily gut.

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 3:17 PM

I have no doubt that Iran, al qaida, Hezbollah and the Taliban will use Chavez and Venezuela as a Central American/Mexican conduit into the United States. I have no doubt that, when this happens, there will be bombings at shopping malls, theaters, etc.

The Leftists [and many on the Right], with their heads in the sand [as usual], fail to believe in this probability. Therefore, they are “outraged” that it should even be considered.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 14, 2007 at 3:20 PM

That’s spectaculuar.

Alex K on November 14, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Oh noes, it’s a politician and he’s telling the truth! String him up quick!

Benaiah on November 14, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I don’t think Red Eye is going to sway a lot of opinions about amnesty.

I’m more concerned about the pro-amnesty stance of Rudy Giuliani, Mike Huckabee and John McCain (Romney did a flip-flop on it) than Andrew Levy. If we’re to throw someone under the bus, it should be those in or campaigning for positions to make policy- not someone on a comedy show.

Hollowpoint on November 14, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Thus ends the Hot Air audience’s love affair with Red Eye.

Shouldn’t HA seek out Levy before throwing him off the boat? He has been willing to speak out in the comments before.

I’m willing to give benefit of the doubt until clarification, could just be Levy hates Tanc but misspoke about the issue.

TheEJS on November 14, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Shouldn’t HA seek out Levy before throwing him off the boat?

Er, I was joking, T.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Thus ends the Hot Air audience’s love affair with Red Eye.

Allah

I thought Levy was a) unfunny, and b) a closet rino douche from the get-go.

Good riddens.

Jaibones on November 14, 2007 at 3:24 PM

I don’t think Red Eye is going to sway a lot of opinions about amnesty.

Exactly. Who cares. Levy/etal are all about libertarianism not really conservatism. Open borders is a position they’d naturally hold. Reason.com is all about open borders too, if memory serves.

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 3:24 PM

This is why Andrew Levy is an “ombudsman” (quotes necessary) that makes wise cracks — not a political genius or well-educated about the situation on the border.

If he were any more clueless, he’d be an author at HuffPo. Wasn’t Greg?

amerpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Ok did bob beckle really say if we build a 12 foot wall around mexico { um no bob a fence on our land not around mexico you tool} He would be investing in 13 foot ladders.

Did He just admit on TV if we build the fence he will start selling the illegals bigger ladders to sneak in???

Mojack420 on November 14, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Head in…err sand syndrome.
Yeah that’s it, sand.

Speakup on November 14, 2007 at 3:27 PM

If he were any more clueless, he’d be an author at HuffPo. Wasn’t Greg?

amerpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Still is.

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Andy Levy is twice the man any of us are. Anyone who doesn’t realize that is UNPATRIOTIC.

Plus, he’s closer to shtuping Julie Banderas than any of us will ever be. The magnificent bastard…

Enrique on November 14, 2007 at 3:30 PM

I thought Levy was a) unfunny, and b) a closet rino douche from the get-go.

Jesus. Everyone lighten up, okay? I didn’t like Tancredo’s ad either.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Er, I was joking, T.

You may be kidding, but a lot of people here aren’t. And seeing such a post, they’re willing to immediately toss anyone under the bus without questions.

Oh well, I’m not going to change minds, but do have a PFT today. Go Air Force, dont vomit!

TheEJS on November 14, 2007 at 3:31 PM

I have no doubt that, when this happens, there will be bombings at shopping malls, theaters, tc.

In the six years since 9/11 Islamic terrorists haven’t blown up a shopping mall. During a time when they could go through Mexico, through Canada or JFK airport.

Can border security really stop a terrorist who wants to get in and carry off an operation like 9/11? Will it cost more or less than the war on drugs? Will it be more or less successful than the war on drugs?

I’m in favor of ending illegal immigration but there might be better ways to allocate resources in the war on Islamic terrorist.

dedalus on November 14, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Jesus. Everyone lighten up, okay? I didn’t like Tancredo’s ad either.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:31 PM

I’ll second that, I agree with Allah, our porous border poses a problem that could be exploited easily by terrorist operatives, and Levy’s wrong on this count, but Levy’s right a lot of the time.

Bad Candy on November 14, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Jesus. Everyone lighten up, okay? I didn’t like Tancredo’s ad either.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:31 PM

I didn’t either. But we also don’t say that immigration and terror threats are two different things.

amerpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:35 PM

…and I’m not crazy about the Tanc ad either.

Bad Candy on November 14, 2007 at 3:35 PM

I don’t see that Gutfeld link as an endorsement of amnesty. It’s pro-Mexican immigration. Which I am, too. I just want it to be of the legal variety.

see-dubya on November 14, 2007 at 3:39 PM

dedalus on November 14, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Terrorism has no time-line. It took 8 years for the World Trade Center to be attacked – again. It takes time to set up a Chavez/Venezuelan conduit from the Middle East/SW Asia through all of Central America and Mexico – into the United States.

Time is the ally of the terrorist. Delay plays into their hands. The impatience of America is its own worst enemy. It is the impatience of Americans that transforms “delay” – into “improbable.”

OhEssYouCowboys on November 14, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Jesus. Everyone lighten up, okay? I didn’t like Tancredo’s ad either.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 3:31 PM

WHO?! That’s funny right there, I don’t care who you are.

:-)

csdeven on November 14, 2007 at 3:49 PM

This sucks. I used to like Andy Levy too. Damn sellout.

SoulGlo on November 14, 2007 at 3:49 PM

see-dubya on November 14, 2007 at 3:39 PM

You’d have to listen to his other gregalogues and read them too. From what I’ve heard/read he’s very much in favor of amnesty and against the border fence.

Bad Candy on November 14, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I heart Levy. This won’t make me not like him, at all. Nor Greg’s support of amnesty. It’s just something you have to accept when dealing with libertarians; that’s all. Freedom, in their mind, knows no national boundaries.

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 3:51 PM

He’s not a sellout. He’s a libertarian hawk. Always has been (I mean, since his little pundit career got going at least). It’s what he believes.

Alex K on November 14, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Jesus. Everyone lighten up, okay? I didn’t like Tancredo’s ad either.

I thought Allahpundit was a) unfunny, and b) a closet rino douche from the get-go.

KIDDING! (I Swear — I haven’t even watched the Tancredo ad…)

Kensington on November 14, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Say it ain’t so Joe uh Andy…

Oh well, I guess everyone is entitled to be wrong from time to time. We all look past AP’s slips right.

;-)

conservnut on November 14, 2007 at 3:58 PM

We all look past AP’s slips right.

;-)

conservnut on November 14, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Indeed. :-D

baldilocks on November 14, 2007 at 4:07 PM

THERE ARE NO SLIPS, SUCKAS.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 4:07 PM

THERE ARE NO SLIPS, SUCKAS.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Heh.

Bad Candy on November 14, 2007 at 4:09 PM

I kind of liked the Tancredo ad. It reminded me ot the LBJ nuke ad with the kid and the flower.

As I recall, however, I didn’t like that nuke ad at the time though.

saiga on November 14, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Don’t link the two.

I didn’t see anything in the add that inferred mexicans were terrorists. Did I miss something or is that snide little creep from red eye a knee jerk moral relativist?

peacenprosperity on November 14, 2007 at 4:14 PM

I secretly froth at the mouth over some of Tanc’s proposals/ideas, but i thought his ad was disgusting. Elect Tanc, before it’s TOO LATE! Elect Tanc or die, suckas!

RW Wacko on November 14, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Ok did bob beckle

Anyone remember what he was indicted (convicted?) of/for a few years ago? Was it a campaign law?

It reminded me ot the LBJ nuke ad

Which was created by bill moyers who was on his show recently decrying the politics of personal destruction and trying to blaim it on conservatives.

peacenprosperity on November 14, 2007 at 4:23 PM

THERE ARE NO SLIPS, SUCKAS.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 4:07 PM

I sometimes believe that the soles of your shoes are made of bannana peels.

conservnut on November 14, 2007 at 4:24 PM

THERE ARE NO SLIPS, SUCKAS.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 4:07 PM

:snort:

baldilocks on November 14, 2007 at 4:25 PM

As a RINO, I have my disagreements with Tancredo. His support for the garbage of Creationism is simply contemptible. However, he’s telling us the real issue that we face and we do need him to be the next president. I don’t understand why so many people want to have their head in the sand. I don’t care if I get accused of the politics of fear. I just want to ask how many Americans have to be killed before you will be willing to listen to Tancredo? Just come up with a number. Any number. I’ll bet the muslims will double it.

thuja on November 14, 2007 at 4:33 PM

AP,

I didn’t even watch the Tanc ad, I think Tanc is borderline nuts (yeah), and I always thought Levy was unfunny and a closet rino douche.

I suspect the “Jesus” part was a snarky atheist jab. Good one.

Jaibones on November 14, 2007 at 4:33 PM

I’m smitten with Levy… there’s just something about him…

And I really think Gutfeld was practicing satire with his open borders Gregalogue. He was just saying that it’s better to have a bunch of illegal Mexicans coming in than a bunch of illegal Islamic terrorists. He was joking around. Obviously you can’t tell the difference between someone that just wants to cut your lawn and someone who just wants to cut your throat by virtue of skin color or geographical border crossing selection.

NTWR on November 14, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Greg also talks about a love affair with his house boy in some of the Gregalogues… and unicorn sex.

Both Greg and Levy are masters of satire. Decoding their schtick into absolute political posistions is like reading tea leaves.

Also, I can’t go too hard on Levy since I’m not sold on zero-tollerance amnesty myself.

p.s. The Tanc ad is silly and waaaaaaay over the top.

natesnake on November 14, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Gutfeld: “Don’t link the two”

That’s BS. He’s saying “stop thinking illegal Mexicans will blow up malls.”

What illegal Mexicans (or, coyotes) will do is import all kinds of people illegaly. The issues are linked.

AlexB on November 14, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Tancredo rocks!

Hannity was good.

Colmes sucks.

I have no idea who Levy is.

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 5:01 PM

thuja on November 14, 2007 at 4:33 PM

If it is in one fell swoop, 5,000 to 25,000?

Stretched out, 25,000 to 100,000?

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 5:05 PM

I thought Levy was a) unfunny, and b) a closet rino douche from the get-go.

Good riddens.

Jaibones on November 14, 2007 at 3:24 PM

He’s not a douche, he’s just wrong.

By the way, I think you forgot to mention the Duka Brothers, Allah… Didn’t they come across the border as children? I know it’s not the same thing as a hardened terrorist using the weak border to gain access… but they were terrorists and they did come across the open border.

RightWinged on November 14, 2007 at 5:14 PM

I thought Tancredo objected to immigration (legal or otherwise) because immigrants might skew our cultural and linguistic identity. This whole border-hopping terrorism thing seems bolted on to cover his radical “America is full” anti-immigration views.

Mark Jaquith on November 14, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Where did Tancredo make the connection between Illegal Mexicans and border security? And at least he had the ‘nads to defend his position with Alan. Before memories get to short, this was one of the major reasons for the Shamnesty bill failing – Secure the borders first, then we’ll talk amnesty.
A radical ad, but there’s no such thing as bad publicity!

AP, I get the feeling that your readers really want you to end the love affair with Red Eye. Don’t you?

RMCS_USN on November 14, 2007 at 5:37 PM

At this stage, I don’t much hope for Tancredo; however…

Despite no attacks since 9/11/01, our national security does seem to be rather a joke with people streaming in on everything but busses.

As things stand, either we do something to secure the borders (which, incidentally, has a HUGE impact on economy, healthcare, education, etc.!!!), or we start hiring sh*tloads of federal agents and spooks to ferret after the nasty illegals and other jihadis that are already here and are still coming.

I had a conversation with a member of the Coast Guard (stationed to patrol off the coast of Maine), and she said the US population has no clue how many “interdictions” are carried out daily. I said, “you mean drug dealers?” “No. Arabs.”

So, in spirit, I’m all for Tancredo or any conservative who, even if secretly, recognizes our illegal immigration problem. But his ad was rather heavy handed for digestion among civilized, decent PC-nitwits who pine and yearn for another Clinton administration.

thejackal on November 14, 2007 at 5:56 PM

It had to happen sometime.

I knew I’d finally disagree with Levy on something.

I can’t stop liking him though. He’s been spot on with so many other things, especially with putting Krazy Keith in his place so often.

Hawkins1701 on November 14, 2007 at 6:19 PM

see-dubya on November 14, 2007 at 3:39 PM

That was my take as well.

Dork B. on November 14, 2007 at 6:20 PM

thejackal on November 14, 2007 at 5:56 PM

We have not had another major attack on American soil only because God went back to protecting fools, drunks and Americans. But only for so long.

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 6:42 PM

see-dubya on November 14, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Oh Please, what legal variety? That whole “wait in line” bit is nonsense. There is no line, they have no legal way to get here.
I’ve said it before: We need more legal immigration from Mexico, and less from Pakistan.

sweeper on November 14, 2007 at 7:13 PM

THERE ARE NO SLIPS, SUCKAS.
Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 4:07 PM

An atheist invoking the name of Jesus isn’t a slip? That sounds like a slip of Freudian proportions.

Shouldn’t an atheist say something like;

Albert Einstein. Everyone lighten up, okay? I didn’t like Tancredo’s ad either.

or….

Charles Darwin. Everyone lighten up, okay? I didn’t like Tancredo’s ad either.

or perhaps….

Christopher Hitchens. Everyone lighten up, okay? I didn’t like Tancredo’s ad either.

Hey Allah, if you started use “Christ” you might be able to pass it off as a nickname for Christopher.

:-)

csdeven on November 14, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Oh Please, what legal variety?

I know plenty of legal Mexican immigrants/naturlized American citizens from Mexico. But most of them are over thirty-five, however, and have been here since their teens.

You are correct that *now* there is no line, however. Why bother when they can just come on over? And when we complain, our betters simply shrug their shoulders or castigate native-born and naturalized Americans for “racism.” Illegals–honest working stiffs, drug dealers and terrorists–know a golden opportunity when they see it. :-(

What guys like Levy are not getting is that all types listed above are taking advantage of that opportunity and unless our government comes up with some magical way to screen out the honest workers from the crooks and the terrorists, the door needs to be closed to all of them.

baldilocks on November 14, 2007 at 7:30 PM

The reason the Canadian Border is not “as” in important is beacause the Canadian gov kind of like us and Mexico has nothing but disdain for us..

AND there is a whole network setup for trafficking on the southern one…

AND generally speaking, sneaking through snow-covered-deciduous-mountains-where-there-are-grizzlies
is not something some cultures are accustomed to.

amend2 on November 14, 2007 at 7:32 PM

snow-covered-deciduous-mountains-where-there-are-grizzlies
is not something some cultures are accustomed to.

The really bad ones manage their way around some rough mountain terrain along the Safed Koh in Afghanistan and Pakitsan.

dedalus on November 14, 2007 at 7:46 PM

I’ll never watch him again.
Done.

TheSitRep on November 14, 2007 at 8:14 PM

csdeven on November 14, 2007 at 7:26 PM

The guy’s name is ALLAH. can he not invoke his brother phrophet’s names.
Holly freeeking Moses for the love of Pete.
ha ha

TheSitRep on November 14, 2007 at 8:22 PM

TheSitRep on November 14, 2007 at 8:22 PM

hahahahaha!!!

csdeven on November 14, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Uh it wouldn’t matter if terrorism was the least likely cause of death among Americans or anyone else. I’ve lost some very special people in my life due to cancer. Terrorism is significant because it’s murder. We will all die but I don’t want to bludgeoned to death or strangled. Tancredo’s ads are scary but then so is life.

aengus on November 14, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Tancredo rocks!

Hannity was good.

Colmes sucks.

I have no idea who Levy is.

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Ditto that.

4shoes on November 14, 2007 at 8:56 PM

At least Angela McGlowan got it right on the “Live Desk”

Hey Bob . . . Who-da thunk 19 guys could succeed an
attack that killed more than Pearl Harbor. . .A$$hole.

Texyank on November 14, 2007 at 11:54 PM

Should we really take the Gut Feelings so seriously?

Perhaps, as the liberals so often say, it was satire.

Damian G. on November 15, 2007 at 3:04 AM