Question posed: Would the big A sell his vote for an iPhone?

posted at 8:51 pm on November 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

Are you kidding? I’m a conservative in a state that the Democrats will win by 15 points. My vote is worth less than the paper the ballot’s printed on. For an iPhone I’d sell you my vote and a pint of blood. For the vote alone? How ’bout a case of Newcastle?

Don’t give me any nonsense about winning the popular vote, either. It’s gotten Bush squat since 2004.

The peg for the question, of course, is this article at Politico:

Two-thirds say they’ll do it for a year’s tuition. And for a few, even an iPod touch will do.

That’s what NYU students said they’d take in exchange for their right to vote in the next presidential election, a recent survey by an NYU journalism class found.

Only 20 percent said they’d exchange their vote for an iPod touch.

But 66 percent said they’d forfeit their vote for a free ride to NYU. And half said they’d give up the right to vote forever for $1 million.

Exit question: How much? You can admit it. And let’s try to keep the lectures to a minimum.

Comments

I’d sell my vote for an F-22

Zorro on November 14, 2007 at 8:53 PM

I can’t say I never would, but it would take an awful lot. Like a mansion, with an indoor swimming pool, an outdoor swimming pool, and a hot tub, to make me vote for a democrat. More than any democrat would be willing to give me (unless it was paid for with other peoples’ money; but I digress).

gryphon202 on November 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM

BTW, AP, you’re from California, right? That’d be my guess, although possibly New York State…

gryphon202 on November 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Keep Geraldo off the air and I promise to never vote again.

Number 2 on November 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM

As for me I will sell my vote to the republican candidate that gives me a job on his campaign.

As for the democrats I have a bridge in Brooklyn to give them for a Driver’s liecence.

William Amos on November 14, 2007 at 8:56 PM

ok well.. I’m sure alot of illegals would give up there right to vote for a million… erm wait.. they’d vote that way for a life-time of (or about a million over a lifetime) for amnesty, dls, free healthcare, wic, ..

amend2 on November 14, 2007 at 8:56 PM

How much? You can admit it.

Depends on how many times I can sell it. Has anyone tried this on Ebay yet?

RedWinged Blackbird on November 14, 2007 at 8:57 PM

$5 million and I’d vote for whomever my overlords told me to vote for, every cycle until i died. :P

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Depends on how many times I can sell it. Has anyone tried this on Ebay yet?

It’s a federal crime to sell your vote.

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 8:58 PM

A: Michelle didn’t get ‘ya an iPhone yet? Wow… even the French and Germans are getting iPhones! My better half got an iPhone and I bought an iPod Touch… both are neat but I wouldn’t trade a vote for either… my vote goes to Fred Thompson!

IntheNet on November 14, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Life-long, all-encompassing property and income tax exemptions.

Or, living in Chicago, …, some magic beans might be acceptable for all the good my vote does me.

yo on November 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Michelle didn’t get ‘ya an iPhone yet? Wow…

I think she’s saving up to get me a car.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Completely unrestricted firearms access and ownership, and the permission to shoot anyone I think needs it.

Frozen Tex on November 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM

They don’t make Yugos anymore do they? ;)

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 9:00 PM

I’d sell my vote for immortality.

4shoes on November 14, 2007 at 9:01 PM

a cure for MS in exchange for my vote….

Pam on November 14, 2007 at 9:02 PM

I’d sell my vote for 2 other people’s. The I’d sell there votes for two others.

It isn’t like they want it anyway if they’d give it up forever for a paltry million.

BKennedy on November 14, 2007 at 9:02 PM

I think she’s saving up to get me a car.

So you don’t have a car or an i-phone. Have you thought about getting a real job?

RedWinged Blackbird on November 14, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Exit question: How much?

My asking price is nothing less than greenlight approval of every movie produced from now until 2012.

Yes, AP… I promise you’ll finally see that long-awaited sequel to The Last Starfighter.

ScottMcC on November 14, 2007 at 9:04 PM

Have you thought about getting a real job?

Had one. The pay was better, the hours were better. Didn’t like it.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Pam on November 14, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Ditto

abinitioadinfinitum on November 14, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Yep. Even with less pay; there’s nothing quite like being your own boss and setting your own schedule.

lorien1973 on November 14, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Heh. I’ll have to take your word for that.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 9:07 PM

23 Trillion dollars.

Why 23 Trillion?

Cause it’s enough to move to frickin Mars.

Oh, and a tip on the F-22 – yeah, the entry price might seem low, but it’s the maintenance that’ll eat ya alive. Kinda like an older Porsche.

Wind Rider on November 14, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Unrevokable tax exemption for myself, my spouse, and any resultant offspring. Forever.

Harpazo on November 14, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Frozen Tex on November 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM

I have to say I’m with Tex. I promise to only shoot people who desperately need it.

Pilgrim on November 14, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Ok, a Dallas Mavericks title, a Maserati and a lake home in Austin on Lake Travis. Wow. Simple.

mimi1220 on November 14, 2007 at 9:14 PM

AP,

Do you live in NYC?
I would imagine that a car is a not a necessity there. But I haven’t lived there so I’m just guessing.

terryannonline on November 14, 2007 at 9:16 PM

I think she’s saving up to get me a car.

No iPhone? No car? Wow man… your ‘hurtin for ‘certin… Man you should be one of those poor blokes Obama trots out at his campaign events… We need to pass the hat for Allah one of these days… my sympathies bud…

IntheNet on November 14, 2007 at 9:18 PM

BKennedy on November 14, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Just like carbon credits..right? :)

Pam on November 14, 2007 at 9:18 PM

I think she’s saving up to get me a car.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Did she promise you a toyota?

lsutiger on November 14, 2007 at 9:22 PM

i would never and for no price sell my vote.

frankly i’m disgusted at this repulsive display of civic nihilism and venality.

by which i mean to say that if you have to ask, you can’t afford it. discrete inquiries may be forwarded to sales@jummysvote.com .

jummy on November 14, 2007 at 9:24 PM

I think she’s saving up to get me a car.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Its isnt one of those New Muslim cars is it ALLAH ?

heh

William Amos on November 14, 2007 at 9:24 PM

If you do an honest assessment of the power of a single vote, it’s really not worth that much… even over a lifetime. If someone offers you an iPhone, I say go for it.

frankj on November 14, 2007 at 9:25 PM

A date with MK Ham.

WasatchMan on November 14, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Before I make a decision,let me ask the plant in the
audience for their opinion.

Has anyone consulted the Zogby poll.haha

canopfor on November 14, 2007 at 9:25 PM

I wouldn’t sell my vote. I’ve got principles to uphold.

Besides, you know darn well the person trying to buy your vote is an FBI agent.

Dusty on November 14, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Did you vote for selling your vote
before you voted against selling your vote.Hehe

canopfor on November 14, 2007 at 9:32 PM

i would sell my vote for the opportunity to interbreed with members of the babylonian brotherhood, thus ensuring eternal life and world stewardship for my progeny, and probably the opportunity to prance naked through the woods with alan greenspan – a fantacy of mine for some time now.

jummy on November 14, 2007 at 9:33 PM

I’d sell my vote for an F-22

Zorro

Word. And flying lessons. And fuel for life. And $5 million, so I could afford to be unemployed and fly it.

Agrippa2k on November 14, 2007 at 9:38 PM

i wouldn’t sell my vote if it were a closely split district. here in chicago, i’d see what i could get, although probably still not. i’m an election judge. it’d be like a crossing-guard jaywalking in front of the kids.

jummy on November 14, 2007 at 9:38 PM

why do you want one of those things anyway? it’s the furby of 2007.

jummy on November 14, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Just like Allah, I’m in a dark-blue state, so I’d sell out cheap. Maybe iPhone-cheap. Heck, probably even $10-off-a-steak-dinner-at-The-Outback cheap. But not Zune cheap.

Splashman on November 14, 2007 at 9:44 PM

You know, AP, this is just another completely transparent attempt at getting some free stuff – namely an iPhone, again.

I was almost tempted to send you one (if there is a way to do that – need info on how to gift an iPhone).

First I must evaluate your entertainment/educational value to me. Have you reached $250 yet? Michelle certainly has. Perhaps I should send her one first.

Come to think of it – why aren’t you trying to get one for “the boss”?

Agrippa2k on November 14, 2007 at 9:46 PM

why do you want one of those things anyway? it’s the furby of 2007.
jummy on November 14, 2007 at 9:40 PM

That’s pretty much what they said about personal computers in 1980, too.

Think positive. Maybe you’ll get one for Christmas.

Splashman on November 14, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Had one. The pay was better, the hours were better. Didn’t like it.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 9:05 PM

Sucks being a lawyer, doesn’t it?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 14, 2007 at 9:47 PM

I’d sell my vote for an F-22

Agrippa2k on November 14, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Skip the lessons, and you won’t have to worry about the other stuff. Not for long, I mean. :)

Splashman on November 14, 2007 at 9:50 PM

I’d lease my vote for a chance to eliminate the estate tax. Either that for for Warren Buffet to join the rank of the poor.

rightg33k on November 14, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Sorry kids, this vote’s not for sale. I’ve worked too hard and sweat too much trying to give a whole country of ingrates the right to vote to turn around the sell mine off. Besides, I’m moving to Germany in a month, where, to the best of my knowledge, Deutsch Telecom does not have iPhones.

Spc Steve on November 14, 2007 at 10:03 PM

I’d sell my vote for a vote that actually counted…

doriangrey on November 14, 2007 at 10:06 PM

And let’s try to keep the lectures to a minimum.

Is this minimum enough?

The Founders must be rolling in their graves.
/end lecture

Troy Rasmussen on November 14, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Is this minimum enough?

The Founders must be rolling in their graves.
/end lecture

Troy Rasmussen on November 14, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Nope, the founding fathers gave up spinning in their graves when Bill Clinton was elected, now they are drinking beer with Jesus and making a list of which Americans are not going to be let into heaven.

doriangrey on November 14, 2007 at 10:13 PM

I’m putatively in a “swing state”, so I’d need my own third-world country with a few nuclear reactors and a mutual defense treaty with the US.

steveegg on November 14, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Exit question: How much?

elgeneralisimo is a simple man with simple needs… a fully completed and staffed Death Star should suffice… with properly shielded vents of course…

elgeneralisimo on November 14, 2007 at 10:40 PM

A 1966 Pontiac GTO would do. Mint condition only, of course.

robblefarian on November 14, 2007 at 11:07 PM

I live in mass. I’d sell my vote but I already have an ipod touch. Maybe an xbox 360..

triple on November 14, 2007 at 11:08 PM

I’d sell it for the ring of power from LOTR.

krabbas on November 14, 2007 at 11:17 PM

An 89 Toyota Tercel in mint condition (red of course)

Bradky on November 14, 2007 at 11:22 PM

A public hanging of Bin Laden , Secured borders and a
real crackdown on illegals.

Texyank on November 14, 2007 at 11:25 PM

$100,000

and a time machine to take me back to 1980-whatever so I could pick up some microsoft stock.

tlynch001 on November 14, 2007 at 11:29 PM

I’d sell mine for 10 hot young women (slaves) and all the kind bud I could smoke. :)

ThackerAgency on November 14, 2007 at 11:31 PM

3 million tax free would probably do it. I think I’d feel guilty though.

Ordinary1 on November 14, 2007 at 11:43 PM

The local value I’m last aware of (and it is old) was a 40 ouncer of rum. Must be double that now.

BL@KBIRD on November 14, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Exit question: How much?

Allah

I’m the reddest man in a blue, blue land. My vote is like a fart in a wind storm. I’ll take your case of Newcastle and a couple bottles of a good Sonoma Cab, and you’re getting off cheap. I’ll throw in a vote against Obama in his re-election…also worthless.

Jaibones on November 14, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Think positive. Maybe you’ll get one for Christmas.

Splashman on November 14, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Allah’s pleaded so much I’m sure Michelle’s getting him one for Christmas
winter holyday
holiday

day.

Give up my vote? Even tho it’s only one vote, NO FRIGGING WAY. Actually I take that back. I’d sell my vote for: abortion except for life-of-mother is illegal in all states and all children to age 18 get fed and sheltered if their irresponsible parents fail to do so. These are my top priorities when voting anyway.

inviolet on November 14, 2007 at 11:59 PM

AP and others: you think you have it bad. I’m a conservative Republican. In California. In Maxine Water’s district.

baldilocks on November 15, 2007 at 12:19 AM

baldilocks,

Duuuuuuude! Maxine Waters district? Egads! The sky must be dimmed a bit in your area from the level of evil that exists there.

I used to live in Pasadena (blue) but now I live in Chino Hills, which is in San Bernardino (red) county.

By the way, I would have voted in the last two elections but my father and I have the same first and last names (no Jr) so the county registrar’s office assumes one of our votes is a duplicate and throws the other one out (probably mine). This problem continues even after we both went down to the LA office and “cleared” up the matter. (Sigh)

So considering that my vote isn’t even counted, literally, I don’t have much in collateral to bargain with.

Weebork on November 15, 2007 at 12:34 AM

Yep. Last time she was up for reelection, there wasn’t even a Republican on the ballot.

baldilocks on November 15, 2007 at 12:37 AM

baldilocks,

I don’t know about you, but once I finish my Physics degree at Cal Poly Pomona, I’m out of this state! I want to emigrate back to America!

Weebork on November 15, 2007 at 12:42 AM

I have familial obligations here.

baldilocks on November 15, 2007 at 12:48 AM

Hilarious: Over at LGF: Indian N*pple Song.

Weebork on November 15, 2007 at 12:56 AM

New Harley with a Sidecar should do it.

T J Green on November 15, 2007 at 1:04 AM

Regarding presidential elections, I live in the most reliably red state in the union. So, yes, I would sell my vote for this and any future presidential elections for as long as I live here.

Right now, I really need a new laptop. So. . . $1600 will get you a vote for whichever socialist/commie troll the dems foist upon us next November. Heck, I’ll even throw in a vote for the dem challengers for senate and house free of charge.

Wingo on November 15, 2007 at 1:19 AM

A date with MK Ham.

WasatchMan on November 14, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Yeah but she would have you vote conservative which you prolly would anyway. Good thinking.

- The Cat

MirCat on November 15, 2007 at 1:27 AM

Hilarious: Over at LGF: Indian N*pple Song.

Weebork on November 15, 2007 at 12:56 AM

Holy schmoly. I was laughing so hard I was crying. Absolutely hilarious. Thanks!

Splashman on November 15, 2007 at 1:51 AM

Loose sh1t.

Kralizec on November 15, 2007 at 2:08 AM

Just like carbon credits..right? :)

Pam on November 14, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Oh no, if I wanted it to be like Algore I would set up a problem of “global vote shortage” and set up a foundation for global vote shortage which would come up with the idea of “vote credits.” There would then be a “global vote credits” company that buys and sells these credits which I would own large amounts of stock in.

That way I make money off my fabricated problem, run the propaganda committee for that problem, and make money off of everyone I sucker in.

Once I do a hyperbolic, pretty much fabricated documentary on the problem and win an Oscar for “best documentary,” I hope to win the Nobel Peace Prize and donate half of the money to the very same foundation that I invented at the start of this imaginary epidemic; The one I’m still the chairman of.

(If you can’t tell, I really think Al Gore is a slick, slimy, integrity-free b*&^*^$.)

BKennedy on November 15, 2007 at 3:23 AM

I live in Northern CA… same situation.

A new RV for me.

silverfox on November 15, 2007 at 4:40 AM

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. At a minimum I’d demand cash in an amount to cover whatever tax hikes are coming my way.

But it would take a lot to compensate for the smug satisfaction I get walking into my polling place in my bluest suburb of my blue city and walking over to the sole Republican voting machine. Yeah, suckers, gaze upon that most evil being in your midst… the one from whom you thought you were safe in your little liberal enclave.

BWAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA!!!

saint kansas on November 15, 2007 at 5:19 AM

Option #1: 5000 acres, lifetime tax exemption, 10,000,000 bucks, lifetime tax exemption. Then I’d have to ask for 5 of every type of firearm in the military and 10,000 rounds for each (useful for two reasons: 1. the gov’t is going to go broke buying voters and things will decend into every family for themselves or 2. to support the next revolution when tyranny ensues from a now completely unchecked government.)

Option #2

BadBrad on November 15, 2007 at 6:44 AM

Buying a foreign made car is tantamount to selling your vote.

Set asides and earmarks are for buying votes.

Option #2… I’ll sell my vote for a penny if the entire federal government resigns and term limits are established for all elected officials.

BadBrad on November 15, 2007 at 6:44 AM

And the award for clarity of reason and logic goes to….

BadBrad on November 15, 2007

TheSitRep on November 15, 2007 at 6:52 AM

10 years of votes for $28 million. (with incentives)

sweeper on November 15, 2007 at 7:25 AM

SpcSteve, your link was bad but I found you there
Thank you for your service and I’ll re-visit your blog later today and send at least one of the service members you have listed there my thanks as well.

PattyAnn on November 15, 2007 at 7:38 AM

But 66 percent said they’d forfeit their vote for a free ride to NYU.

Best. Bargain. Ever.

James on November 15, 2007 at 7:39 AM

Start crankin’ out those photoshops which made you famous.
You’ll have the Dubai Diamond iPhone in a month.
I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: T-Shirts.
Benjamin: Sir, that’s tw…
Mr. McGuire: That word is a HYPHENATE boy.
It’s too late for calenders boy. T-shirts.
Benjamin: I’ll give it some thought sir. May I borrow your car?

Stephen M on November 15, 2007 at 8:25 AM

frankj on November 14, 2007 at 9:25 PM

A British politician, Michael Portillo lost an election by one vote. Your vote has the potential to decide a really close election.

aengus on November 15, 2007 at 8:59 AM

baldilocks on November 15, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Cough*baldilocks for congress*cough….

doriangrey on November 15, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Don’t you have to be sneaky squeaky clean from the cradle to run for dog catcher? If so, I don’t qualify.

baldilocks on November 15, 2007 at 1:10 PM

I just spent the last 7 years paying off my NYU education, so I know how painful that expense is.

But, I’m also one of those sad saps that holds voting as a sacred duty (even when I know I’m not going to win).

I voted for Bush twice while living in New York.

I voted against the smoking ban in NYC on the principal that it’s not the government’s job to tell private businesses whether or not they can have smoking on the premises (even though I benefited immensely from it’s passage as I could go to comedy clubs without being half dead from the smoke inhalation the next day).

Heck, I even voted for McClintock over Arnold in the recall vote out here in California (even though I was pretty darn sure he wouldn’t win) because I wanted to vote for the person I actually believed in as opposed to just the person I felt could win it.

As for the iPhone, I recently purchased one, and you should know that it is extremely cool. However, if you want it specifically for email/work functionality, you’re better of with a blackberry as the iPhone doesn’t instantly alert you to new emails (you can set it up to check for new email every 15 minutes automatically or you can manually check whenever you want, but it doesn’t do it immediately like the blackberry does).

On the other hand, when I had been given bad directions to a restaurant two days ago and was lost, I simply pulled up the browser and Googled the restaurant……not having quite the instant email capabilities is far outweighed by never being lost again!

JadeNYU on November 15, 2007 at 2:43 PM

You guys crack me up. The folks that would sell their vote for money or a thing, you do know that Pants Suit — and the other Dem minions — are just going to take it away from you, right?

I’d sell my vote for a vote that actually counted…

doriangrey on November 14, 2007 at 10:06 PM

I’m with him.

Numenorean on November 15, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Baldilocks — I’m a conservative Republican in Pete Stark’s district. I beat you in the bad beat game.

laelaps on November 15, 2007 at 4:39 PM