Giuliani rep: Rudy will be the first Jewish president

posted at 5:03 pm on November 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

And you guys were worried he wasn’t religious enough.

Surrogates for three Republican presidential candidates pledged they would move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem if elected.

In a debate Tuesday in New York, campaign representatives for Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney all promised to respect an American law calling for the embassy’s transfer from Tel Aviv. The debate, held at a Manhattan law firm, was organized by the Republican Jewish Coalition.

“I think Jews are smart, so I think they’re going to vote for Rudy,” said Guiliani’s surrogate, Ken Kurson, in response to a question about the candidate’s appeal to Jews who mostly tend to vote Democrat.

Kurson said that like Bill Clinton, who was seen as the country’s “first black president” for his strong support among blacks, Giuliani would be the country’s first Jewish president, said Kurson, noting the candidate’s broad support in America’s most Jewish city.

No wonder Ron Paul’s supporters hate him. No no, just kidding; even I think that’s an unfair knock on the Paulnut. (Well, mostly.) As for Rudy’s alleged “broad support” among Jews, I can’t find any city polls online but a state poll by Quinnipiac last month gave Hillary an 11-point lead. There are no geographic or demographic crosstabs so we don’t know for sure how Jewish voters shook out, but since they’re concentrated in the city and the city always breaks for Democrats (whereas the other counties, especially in the northern part of the state, tend to go GOP), it’s probably safe to say his support isn’t quite as broad as Hillary’s is.

Anyway, file this one away because you may be hearing it again down the road, albeit in whispers. The left’s already alarmed at Rudy’s, ahem, “neocon” foreign policy team. And you know what they say about those “New York money people”

Update: On second thought, maybe it’s not such an unfair knock.

Comments

Uhhhhh?

Defector01 on November 14, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Rudy as the first Jewisg President. That is a good one. Wish I thought of it.

RobCon on November 14, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Oy vey!

peacenprosperity on November 14, 2007 at 5:07 PM

If he’d be the first Jewish president because he was mayor of a city with a large Jewish population, wouldn’t having gay roommates and being pro-gay rights also make him the first gay president?

Hollowpoint on November 14, 2007 at 5:09 PM

this could send some of the paultards over the edge. the American Thinker did a real piece on them today, I’m sure they are figuring out how to spin inconvient truth’s as we speak.

jp on November 14, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Seems like it’s safe to say that Rudy’s got broader support in NYC than any other Repub. candidate. Does Rudy have better support upstate? Or worse?

Splashman on November 14, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Hollowpoint on November 14, 2007 at 5:09 PM

I dunno, but he could definitely pull of bi-sexual with all the cross-dressing and all. Anyone doubt he’s had an Eddie Murphy moment or two, as well? I’ll bet Flynt is sitting on a gold mine, just waiting to anoint Hillary.

RW Wacko on November 14, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Oy.

CP on November 14, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Quinnipiac last month gave Hillary an 11-point lead.

She’s a New York Democrat. I’m surprised it’s not more.

Hollowpoint on November 14, 2007 at 5:09 PM

I’m betting most gay Americans won’t be voting for him. They’re saying he’d be the country’s first Jewish President because of getting their votes.

amerpundit on November 14, 2007 at 5:17 PM

This could send some of the paultards over the edge.

jp on November 14, 2007 at 5:10 PM

Uh . . . That’s equivalent to saying, “This could really make the Kossacks into nonsense-spewing cretins,” or “This could really make Hillary start equivocating,” or “This could really make Edwards seem like a Breck girl.” In other words, it’s fait accompli.

Splashman on November 14, 2007 at 5:23 PM

She’s a New York Democrat. I’m surprised it’s not more.

Please. I know she our’s, but she will never be considered a New Yorker in my book. We welcome every rascal, but we still have some standards.

JiangxiDad on November 14, 2007 at 5:25 PM

JiangxiDad on November 14, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Well the people who voted for her obviously consider her one.

EnochCain on November 14, 2007 at 5:26 PM

So, if you like athletes, would that make you the first athletic supporter for President?

Opps, sorry. That was Carter wasn’t it?

On-my-soap-box on November 14, 2007 at 5:27 PM

gay Americans

They’re not an ethnic group, whatever McGreevy says. Just say no to the hyphen!

JiangxiDad on November 14, 2007 at 5:28 PM

JiangxiDad on November 14, 2007 at 5:25 PM

As a former lifelong New Yorker, I don’t see her as one either. But, that’s how she’s perceived as today. I’m sure if you ask people on the street, “Where is Hillary Clinton from?”, they’d answer “New York” before her actual birthplace.

amerpundit on November 14, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Well the people who voted for her obviously consider her one.

Seriously. Not for a minute. They’d elect Saddam Hussein or Ahmadinejad here. They don’t give a rat’s a** if it’s a local person as long as he/she is a political extremist.

JiangxiDad on November 14, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Jews won’t vote for him. He’s too pro-Jewish.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 14, 2007 at 5:33 PM

I thought you’d call him the first Jewish president because he is the ‘chosen one’ by the ‘R’ party.

The only thing we have left for Rudy to claim is that he is indeed the Messiah of the Jewish prophecies, and that’s why you should vote for him.

That’s as believable as most of the other lies he spews. Why do candidates lie? I know it is a rhetorical question because they want to get elected. But why can’t we have someone get elected because we agree with them when they tell the truth?

I’m just still upset with the ease with which Huckabee is apparently lying about his tax record. Be honest, have conviction, and let the chips fall where they might.

I know, that’s why I’ll never be in politics – or public for that matter. I’m in self imposed exile because I just don’t get it, and I don’t think I ever will.

ThackerAgency on November 14, 2007 at 5:36 PM

amerpundit on November 14, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Obviously I’m not on the street, but I’d say she’s from Chicago.

ThackerAgency on November 14, 2007 at 5:37 PM

As a former lifelong New Yorker…
amerpundit on November 14, 2007 at 5:28 PM

You were a New Yorker in a former life?

(couldn’t resist)

Splashman on November 14, 2007 at 5:39 PM

“I think Jews are smart, so I think they’re going to vote for Rudy,”

A quote for the ages. Bet he didn’t see this in a Mosque.

Let’s dissect: I think…you don’t know, or you are not sure, or you don’t really believe.

I think they’re…you don’t know, or you are not sure, or you don’t really believe.

So in review…Jews might be smart, and they might vote for Rudy.
I wouldn’t make this my campaign slogan if I was Rudy.

Vote for me, the Jews will vote for me also…I think

right2bright on November 14, 2007 at 5:43 PM

The left’s already alarmed at Rudy’s, ahem, “neocon” foreign policy team.

Well as Rudolfo never served, ahem, and is in fact a draft dodger, double ahem, his having a “neocon” foreign policy team should be no big surprise. Those who have never fought in a war seem to have an unnatural fondness for others fighting them.
BTW, one does not have to be left to be a little hesitant to get into too many of them.

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 5:43 PM

I thought that John Kerry was the first Jewish President.
Oh that’s right, Karl Rove stuffed all those ballots in Ohio.

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Obviously I’m not on the street, but I’d say she’s from Chicago.

ThackerAgency on November 14, 2007 at 5:37 PM

True, but I’d bet you know much more about the political situation in our country than the average American on the street.

Splashman on November 14, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Ha! No, I had lived in New York my entire life until a couple years back.

amerpundit on November 14, 2007 at 5:48 PM

amerpundit on November 14, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Yeah, I figured that out — just hit me funny at first.

Splashman on November 14, 2007 at 5:51 PM

I’ve found Bush to be honest.

JiangxiDad on November 14, 2007 at 5:51 PM

If the Jews are so “smart”, why did they insist on keeping the Arabs (“Palestinians”) inside Israel after the 1967 Six Day War?

All they did was guarantee a permanent infiltration element in their land, slowly outbreeding them into “democratic”/demographic suicide.

And allow the Arab interlopers to continue squatting on the Temple Mount site where they placed an illegitimate mosque (Al-Aqsa), excusing this thievery by “divine right” via the “land grant” story of Mohammad’s mythical “Night Journey” to “the farthest mosque” (even though there were no mosques in Jerusalem in Mo’s lifetime).

Brilliant, perhaps.

Smart?

Not so’s you’d notice.

profitsbeard on November 14, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Most Am. Jews drink the Kool-Aid. Not smart. Dumb.

JiangxiDad on November 14, 2007 at 5:57 PM

With Norman Podhoretz on his team, Rudy would likely be more of an Israeli right-winger than most Jewish Americans, and even many Israelis.

dedalus on November 14, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Brilliant, perhaps.

Smart?

Not so’s you’d notice.

profitsbeard on November 14, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Jews only have to be smarter than their smartest enemy. Since we’re talking Muslims here, its not that smart.

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 14, 2007 at 7:25 PM

It was stupid when it was said about Clinton, it was pathetic when John Kerry asked if he could be “American’s second black president” and this is down right lame.

srhoades on November 14, 2007 at 7:31 PM

It was pathetic when John Kerry asked if he could be “American’s second black president”

Darn, I missed that! I could have had a lot of fun with it.

baldilocks on November 14, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Jews won’t vote for him. He’s too pro-Jewish.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 14, 2007 at 5:33 PM

That’s actually a pretty accurate comment.

I’m Jewish by the way, so I’m allowed to make statements like that.

Of course if the Jews were smart, they’d support Rudy. But many are not. George W. Bush is probably the most pro-Israel President there has ever been, and still the Jews vote for the Democrat. I think it’s something in their DNA.

By the way, Rudy’s got my vote.

asc85 on November 14, 2007 at 7:57 PM

I’m Jewish. Rudy had me from “You can take your @#$%*&% $10 million and shove it …”

aunursa on November 14, 2007 at 8:03 PM

So said Clinton and Bush. This is the most patronising election promise ever. Every candidate R or D promises to relocate during the election but once they’re in office they’re pushing Israel to abandon swathes of territory. Rice wants to donate Jerusalem to her peace partners.

Wrong, wrong, wrong and brimming over with wrongability. The majority of Muslims might not meet an adequate academic standard of intelligence but they are running rings around their Western counterparts in every crucial area. Cunning is of the most crucial importance in this war.

aengus on November 14, 2007 at 8:14 PM

No wonder Ron Paul’s supporters evangelical Christians hate him.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Fixed that one for you, Allah.

Vyce on November 14, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Vyce – you must be a liberal and a Democrat.

Obviously you do not know anything about Evangelical Christians – idiot.

Agrippa2k on November 14, 2007 at 10:07 PM

So basically Guiliani will be the first Jewish/ex-communicated Catholic/crossdressing (as far as we know) president.

And I wouldn’t worry about defending the Ronulans Allah, they’re up on the mothership with Dennis Kucinich in terms of sanity.

BKennedy on November 15, 2007 at 3:27 AM

The Democratic party has continued to close ties with Israeli hating Islamists. Arafat and Clinton were so tight that he didn’t mind waiting in the rose garden while Monica was having a cigar. The American people also gave Arafat a limo via Bubba.

Jewish Americans have made some bizarre political choices from the support of the Soviets after WWII, to the support of the Dems today. It can only be read as not caring what happens to Israel as long as the “Feel Good” party gets power here in the USA. Barbara Streisand disease.

Hening on November 15, 2007 at 7:54 AM