Fox News: Huckabee misled us about tax speech

posted at 8:27 pm on November 14, 2007 by Allahpundit

The question is, did he do so intentionally? Huck told Bill Hemmer this morning that that YouTube video of him begging for a tax hike was actually from a speech delivered after a state supreme court mandate demanding that the state increase funding for education. Not so, claimed Arkansas Journal. The court wasn’t involved and there was nothing mandatory about it; it was a simple general revenue request. Carl Cameron looked into it and before you know it, voila — a press release from the Huckabee camp defending the tax hike but conspicuously refusing to support Huck’s assertion that his hand was forced by the court.

Your obvious exit question: A lie or a mistake? If the former, he had to know it would be found out. If the latter, how could he have been so wrong about something that’s gotten so much attention this week? Surely he’s had his memory refreshed about the video in the past few days

FYI, the clip here conveniently cuts off before the part where Cameron reminds viewers that Huck cut taxes 94 times and ended his administration with a billion-dollar surplus.

Comments

Pol mislead? never…

Kaptain Amerika on November 14, 2007 at 8:30 PM

This is bad news for Huck and great news for Mitt. Real conservatives, well I shouldn’t say that, conservatives will have no where to go except to Mitt if they want the most conservative candidate.

csdeven on November 14, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Huckabee misled? How could that be? He is a Christian, through and through, just ask him, so he would never have done that. There must be some mistake.

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 8:35 PM

I just may give another big $25 to Mitt.

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 8:36 PM

People who want to control what other people eat always make me nervous. Next thing you know they want to raise taxes and let dangerous felons out of jail.

TheBigOldDog on November 14, 2007 at 8:37 PM

Just as well. He’d take our beer, cigs and Ho Ho’s and make us all buy treadmills.

IrishEi on November 14, 2007 at 8:37 PM

American Res. Group has Mitt only 4 points behind Rudolfo (25 to 21), but unfortunately I think it may be a mistake.

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 8:39 PM

He’d take our beer…

Nah…he’d never get rid of such a great revenue stream.

Remember…Huckabee taxed beer!

Slublog on November 14, 2007 at 8:40 PM

People who want to control what other people eat always make me nervous. Next thing you know they want to raise taxes and let dangerous felons out of jail tell us what we can think.

TheBigOldDog on November 14, 2007 at 8:37 PM

MB4 on November 14, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Tancredo and Hunter still are my top choices but I can live with Mitt. Not so much with any of the others.

SIJ6141 on November 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM

SIJ6141 on November 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM

I totally agree with your assessment.

dawgyear on November 14, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Uh, in that Arkansas Journal there’s a correction about halfway down:

CORRECTION: The following is a letter from Republican Minority Leader Johnny Key that a reader forwarded to me in regard to claims that the context of the video of Huckabee demanding a tax increase was a Supreme Court mandate regarding the Lakeview Decision.

As you will see when you read this letter, I made a mistake. Huckabee defenders have been pushing this falsehood all over the internet since I released the video of Huckabee begging for any tax increase. My memory was faulty and I should have checked my facts before responding to their false claims.

It was not about a mandate. The tax increase was for general revenue. Despite efforts made by Republican legislators, Huckabee gleefully joined with the majority (Democrats) in raising taxes.

I apologize for my error.

Tyrs Fury on November 14, 2007 at 9:30 PM

There’s no way he’d lie about that on purpose.

DaveS on November 14, 2007 at 9:30 PM

We shall see if Mitt is able to make any hay out of this. Rudy and Huckabee are tag teaming against Mitt right now, and Mitt said he did not plan on Huckabee being his opponent at this stage so he’s been caught off guard.

Buy Danish on November 14, 2007 at 9:30 PM

The more I read and hear about Huckabee the less I find in this man that is worthwhile.

I watched his face in one of the debates, he appears to have a nasty disposition. Where a nice laugh would have been appropriate, Huckabee looked like he would have liked to have knifed the person who pointed out his misstep.

In reading about his term as governor of Arkansas it sounds like Huckabee used his position to make himself comfortable and important.

Skeptic on November 14, 2007 at 9:35 PM

I know Huckabee is big on talking about the surplus, but how is it a good thing when government ends up with too much of our money?

Slublog on November 14, 2007 at 9:41 PM

csdeven on November 14, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Who was pro-choice before he decided to run for President.

Bill C on November 14, 2007 at 9:50 PM

he appears to have a nasty disposition.

Constantly depriving yourself of food will do that to you.

TheBigOldDog on November 14, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Chuckabee.

Zach on November 14, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Huck mislead people on his record? Nah.

Just to back up to his misleading gas tax bond vote spiel, Huck said he had the support of 80% of the people of Arkansas with that vote, because “80% of the people voted on it”.

That vote was taken a mere 2 and a half months after the April 1 signing of the fuel tax Act into law. On June 15 the referendum was taken and it was the only item being voted on. In a state of 2.67M, it garnered a total of 138,099 Arkansans participating in the vote, of which 109,680 (79%) voted for and 28,419 against.

For perspective, in the 2000 elections there were a total of 921,781 votes for president, so that Bond Issue vote represents 15% of 2000 voters and only 12% of those voting for the Bond vote.

BTW, up until the 1999 vote, one can see at the ARElections website that it had been at least back as far as 1992 that there had not been an odd year vote of any kind in Arkansas.

I don’t know the atmosphere of Arkansas politics was like during his tenure. I don’t know what the atmosphere was surrounding this Bond Issue vote. But let me tell you, I don’t like the smell of this type of government where quick votes are no big thing, doing them in the summer is okie dokie and voting participation levels equivalent to the probable number of government employees and less than 10% of registered voters is makes the governor think he’s got support for his policies and touts it as “80% of the people voted for it”.

If Huck is Pres I’ll be expecting lots of these quickie deals and votes much like that of the never quite dead POS Bill, and you should, too. I for one, don’t want to sleep with one eye open for four years.

Dusty on November 14, 2007 at 10:59 PM

Huck is caught, Mitt is flip-flopping, Fred is putting us to sleep, Rudy is barely a conservative (but at least abortions went way down when he was mayor)…but still the best chance of beating Hillary.

right2bright on November 15, 2007 at 12:55 AM

Someone bring Hunter to the front and have him take the reigns.

Tim Burton on November 15, 2007 at 1:26 AM

csdeven on November 14, 2007 at 8:32 PM

I trust Romney about as much as I trust Hillary Clinton. The guy is a flip-flopper. I cannot vote for someone I don’t trust.

msipes on November 15, 2007 at 2:01 AM

The guy is a flip-flopper. I cannot vote for someone I don’t trust.

msipes on November 15, 2007 at 2:01 AM

What did he flip-flop on?

csdeven on November 15, 2007 at 4:44 AM

TAKE MY HO-HOs?

Molon Labe!

tgillian on November 15, 2007 at 6:43 AM

What did he flip-flop on?

csdeven on November 15, 2007 at 4:44 AM