Michelle Obama: Blacks favor Hillary because they’ve been oppressed

posted at 10:32 am on November 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

Or, if you prefer, because they haven’t yet embraced the “audacity” of the demagoguery she’s pitching here. Savor the tangy irony of Obama’s wife unspooling this so soon after the Messiah’s own righteous complaints about Hillary playing the gender card after the most recent debate. If the Clinton camp is smart, they’ll answer the charge by claiming that blacks are simply more progressive about gender equality than most voters and want to help elect the first woman president. In the meantime, look closely and you can see a whole new layer of loathsome leftist racial politics being formed here: atop the bedrock assumption that no one who’s authentically black would ever vote Republican is placed a new assumption that no one who’s freed himself from white America’s tyranny of low expectations would vote for a white Democrat over a black one. An execrable sentiment, but seeing Hillary’s face rubbed in a steaming pile of it isn’t an altogether unpleasant experience. Click the image to watch.

michelle-obama.jpg

Comments

Sweet; thanks.

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 10:36 AM

I wish these idiots would quit telling the public how they feel and what they want and actually listen for once.

4shoes on November 12, 2007 at 10:37 AM

I haven’t seen or heard much from this woman; just enough to form an overwhelming feeling that she’s an arrogant ass. H ow long before she causes serious problems for her husband?

tomk59 on November 12, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Jaibones,
Continuation of headlines thread

Jaibones,
I disagree with your assessment about it being overt racism. She is opining over why there aren’t more black supporters for Obama. What exactly does she say that strikes you as a “suggestion” that blacks must vote on their skin color.
What she says about how some blacks feel about themselves is the crux of her point. She doesn’t articulate it any better than I could – that’s why I recommend browsing through Cosby’s book when you have a chance.

Bradky on November 12, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Bradky on November 12, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Enough of her . . . let her take her social analyses to those that sympathize with her cause.

rplat on November 12, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Bradky,

because the entire conversation was predicated on the original statement that we’re talking only about the black voters in the Democrat primary. Why? Where does the assumption come from by Brzezinski that every black voter should naturally be assumed a Obama supporter?

A commenter at Finkelstein’s blog notes the racist assumption, and the fact that Michelle Obama does even blink but rolls right into it full steam. “Yeah, it’s a psychological problem.”

This is outrageous on so many levels that I don’t know where to start, but my first instinct is to relate to my fellow conservatives who happen to be black and wonder how pissed off this must make them, as Allah points out. Not only are you automatically counted as a Democrat a liberal — and then called an Uncle Tom if you vote GOP, now you are also automatically an Obama vote because of the color of your skin.

Serves Hillary right, too. She has been playing this same effing Race Card, and she’s the whitest woman on the face of the earth. Obama just trumped her — “hey, I’m actually half African!”

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 10:47 AM

doesn’t even blink (sorry)

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Jaibones,
We are looking at this from two different angles, neither necessarily incorrect. I think I understand your view but still recommend Cosby’s book.

Bradky on November 12, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Right; I got that. I’ll put it on the list of 378 really great books that I have never read…

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 11:00 AM

I don’t think what she said was all that bad although I don’t agree with her. The way she said it and also worded her statements came off as arrogant.

She said, “You know, always been told by somebody that I’m not ready, that I can’t do something, my scores weren’t high enough.” She then later says, “You know, deep down inside, you doubt whether you can do it, because that’s all you’ve been told, is “no, wait.”

But isn’t that what the media essentially doing when they keep on asking “Is America ready for a Black president?” or
“Is America ready for a woman president?” The assumption of those questions is the premise of Mrs. Obama’s argument that possibly we’re not ready and we should wait.

terryannonline on November 12, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Ask a trusted conservative friend who has read it if you don’t have time. Or not – I thought it was one of the best books I’ve ever read on the problems facing the black community.

Bradky on November 12, 2007 at 11:04 AM

To suggest that Blacks should vote for Obama because he’s black is 100% racist. Maybe this Messianic couple should move to New Orleans where Nagin’s chocolate city would embrace them purely due to skin color.

She’s a rare hybrid of sanctimony, hubris, and racism.

Mojave Mark on November 12, 2007 at 11:10 AM

I’m ready for a black president, as long as it’s Ken Blackwell.

Why? Oppressive taxation.

saint kansas on November 12, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Well, Hillary is married to the first black president.

Bryan on November 12, 2007 at 11:16 AM

As a black conservative, I can see what Michelle is saying when liberal blacks somehow think thier interests would be better served by Hillary Clinton or John Edwards. All things equal, he(Obama)is no lesser qualified liberal candidate than Hillary or John; what then is their rationale for not voting for Obama? Is it that they think Hillary or John would represent their liberal black interests better?

apostle53 on November 12, 2007 at 11:16 AM

I agree with you completely Jaibones. If a conservative had said anything remotely like this, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be calling for a boycott.

I KNOW that a lot of blacks are CONSERVATIVE. But they are smart too because they know that their voice is more powerful in a block than individually. That is why they typically vote more for the same party – not so much because they agree with that person.

Look at Kerry. That guy understood the plight of blacks about as well as any average fish in the ocean would understand the issues facing the black community. Yet the black community supported him because they wanted their voices to be heard cumulatively.

Most blacks ARE CONSERVATIVE in the South. That’s why a third party CONSERVATIVE candidate is not a bad idea.

ThackerAgency on November 12, 2007 at 11:18 AM

So, Black people need therapy if they decide they don’t want to vote for another Black person? This is disgusting.

Sadly, this judgmental behavior is nothing new.

flyawaybird on November 12, 2007 at 11:20 AM

terryannonline on November 12, 2007 at 11:03 AM

I understand your point, but I disagree with the premise. The premise of questions like “are we ready for” a Jewish, woman, black, Muslim, lesbian, gay, whatever President is that Americans are bigoted, misogynist homophobes.

When you hear a reporter ask these questions, do you seriously believe that the reporter himself would not vote for a black guy for President? Or a woman? Or a Mormon? (Ok, scratch the Mormon one, because yes, a reporter would consciously vote against a Mormon because he’s a Mormon…)

Of course not. The assumption is always that the reporter has placed himself in the position of a supporter who views the rest of the electorate as racist, homophobe, anti-semitic, etc.

But this question was much more specific: black voters in the Democrat primary. Why Hillary? She’s white.

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 11:21 AM

flyawaybird on November 12, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Exactly. Forget all the reasons that you might pick one candidate over another; if you are black and don’t support Obama, there’s something wrong with your brain.

Unbelieveable.

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Lest white guilt influence your political outlook, click here for absolution courtesy of Walter E. Williams, Authentic Black Man.

saint kansas on November 12, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Mrs. Obama is generally quite grating but her analysis is spot on for many black liberals that I know. Most of them would prefer to see Barack in the White House (for various reasons) but are reluctant to vote for him because they believe he could never win the election.

That being said, it’s always amazed me how many conservative, religious, affluent African Americans vote for Democrats to begin with. The true “awakening” that Michelle is waiting for will only occur when those voters realize they don’t _have_ to vote “D” to remain black.

12thman on November 12, 2007 at 11:29 AM

apostle53 on November 12, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Putting it that way, I understand.

Still the arrogance that if you are black, somehow you are also a democrat is the common message. Not ever accepting the fact (naturally) that they (dems) telling that community how poor they are, how dependent they are, how much they need the dems to survive, how inept the black community is, how they don’t have to take responsibility, how it is ok to fail, because you can just blame conservatives…and it goes on and on. it is an amazing “ownership” mentality of the liberals. “If we could own you (and we do), you would (but you aren’t) be better off”.
Kudos to your strength for breaking away from the liberals slave mentality.

right2bright on November 12, 2007 at 11:34 AM

12th man,

That’s a different point, imo. I want to see Duncan Hunter in the White House, but don’t think he could even win the election. That’s just politics. And it’s not what the question asked was referring to.

I agree with your broader analysis; it’s amazing. Half of the black community is more evangelical and conservative than anyone else I know, and vote knee-jerk against anyone who acts like a conservative evangelical. Weird.

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 11:36 AM

Welcome back, AllahP.

An execrable sentiment, but seeing Hillary’s face rubbed in a steaming pile of it …

Heh.

I have a question for the arbiters of racial identity out there. If I think Michael Steele would make a better President than Obama or Hillary, does that make me a self-hating Aryan-American? Or just a garden variety neocon reactionary against the forces of progressivism?

Anton on November 12, 2007 at 11:41 AM

I hadn’t considered his race– until she brings it up. Too much drama. Next.

JiangxiDad on November 12, 2007 at 12:00 PM

This idiot will eventually bring down her husband bigtime!

Winebabe on November 12, 2007 at 12:06 PM

I can’t wait for her to make the claim White women will vote for her husband because of a Mandingo fantasy, thus cancelling out black mental inferiority complex…or whatever that’s called.

SouthernGent on November 12, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Anton on November 12, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Heh. I was thinking the same thing about Thomas Sowell and Ward Connerly. I’m a big self-hater.

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 12:14 PM

I have quite a bit of experience in the black community, and horizontal descrimination runs deep.

saiga on November 12, 2007 at 12:28 PM

I knew Michelle Obama would be a liability from the first time I saw her being interviewed. She seemed to regard her husband as a child that needed her to watch over him, to protect him from the stupid little mistakes he was capable of.

Barack would be wise to keep Michelle away from reporters…

… let’s hope he doesn’t!

rockbend on November 12, 2007 at 12:41 PM

I love watching the logic of identity politics round on its creators. If Hillary gets the nomination, will Michelle Obama accuse white democratic primary voters of racism?

Dudley Smith on November 12, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Last week the Dems played the gender card, this week the race card. What can we expect next, the hairspray card?

ctmom on November 12, 2007 at 1:19 PM

I can’t stand this woman. I won’t even watch this video. It seems like every time she opens her mouth it’s all about being black, etc. I’ll never forget the couple’s first big primetime interview (can’t remember if you guys posted on it here at HA, but I think you did), in which Michelle Obama some how launched in to this sympathy grab by saying that “as a black man” Barrack could get shot just going to the gas station.

RightWinged on November 12, 2007 at 1:36 PM

If anyone is interested, this is the idiocy I was talking about

RightWinged on November 12, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Dudley Smith on November 12, 2007 at 1:19 PM

Don’t you remember last week when Hillary was going to “clean” up Washington, inviting all of the women to bring mops and brooms?
Hillary is going to ask Michelle Obama to mop her floors.

right2bright on November 12, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Once, again, the racist, belligerence of a black woman, who’s married to a black Senator. Will the ongoing, white racism ever end? Just think of all the oppression – being married to a black, Senator. The parties. The house(s). The car(s). The income(s). The vacation(s). The limelight.

The oppression!

The sad thing is – if she were to live for another 400 years, she’d still be whining about all of the racism that she must confront – being the wife of a black, Senator.

OhEssYouCowboys on November 12, 2007 at 2:44 PM

“As a white person, I think I will speak for whites.”

Does anyone get how disturbing this “I am black so I will speak for blacks” philosophy really is?

Please enough already!

saved on November 12, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Yeah… right, Mrs. Obama… I guess Condi Rice, Michael Jordan and Colin Powell, to name a few, held themselves back because of that nagging little voice in the back of their heads that told them they might fail.

Now I can see why, as she puts it, her test scores weren’t high enough…

D2Boston on November 12, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Right on! Higher taxes and more aggressive affirmative action, even in the cities where minorities are now the majority, until my “deep down self doubt” feels better.

Alden Pyle on November 12, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Well, if B. Hussein gets elected, I don’t think we need to worry about this woman running for office 8 to 12 years later…

shooter on November 12, 2007 at 3:44 PM

It took me a few to figure out that the YouTube video wasn’t the one we were looking for. Here’s a DIRECT VIDEO LINK to the video.

That woman is the bane of Barack Hussein Obama’s existance in his bid for POTUS. Every time she opens her mouth, it’s “po blacks” this and “po blacks” that. She commented on video once that Barack Obama could get shot while at the gas station getting gas for his car, just because he’s black. Becuase, you know, black men are gunned down at the gas station filling their cars on a daily basis. The only black men being gunned down in the streets are the black on black gang bangers.

Now she’s saying that black people are essentially unconscious and that one day they’ll wake up and get it… she knows this because she’s a better black than they. She’s smarter than the average black, and she’s awake. She’s fought the good fight, and she-has-prevailed against the white man’s oppression. Vote Obama in ’08 and you’ll be striking a great blow against the white establishment!

You know, there’s always that doubt in the back of the minds of people of color. People who’ve been oppressed and haven’t been given real opportunities. That you never really believe. That you believe that somehow, someone is better than you. You know, deep down inside, you doubt whether you can do it, because that’s all you’ve been told, is “no, wait.” That’s all you hear, and you hear it from people who love you. Not because they don’t care about you, but bcause they’re afraid. They’re afraid that something might happen.”

While there is no doubt that black oppression was once a force to be reckoned with, its been reckoned with. Equal Opportunity is the mantra of the education system and of the laws against hiring discrimination. She’s talking reparations for past inequitys. She’s so full of $hit it’s not even funny. Is she so desperate to sleep in the Whitehouse that she’s already pulling the White Guilt Trip out of her hat? “A vote for anyone other than my black husband Barack Obama is a vote for racism!”

Seriously, that lady needs to stop portraying the once oppressed and now empowered black woman revolutionary. Racism and Stereotyping is a two-edged sword.

SilverStar830 on November 12, 2007 at 4:17 PM

This video brings back memories of a Rap song from 1991.

…They said it never been no worse
Than this, I’m on the nighttrain
They hope ya don’t miss it
Give ya what dey gotta give you just go
You musn’t just put your
Trust in every brother yo
Some don’t give a damn
‘Cause they the other man
Worse than a bomb
Posing as Uncle Toms
Disgracing the race
Blowing up
The whole crew
With some of them looking
Just like you

Night Train by Public Enemy

I have never voted for or against a person because of their race. The Democrats are all singing the same tune. Only stupid black folks would vote against them. As Frederick Douglas once said, ” I would rather die then vote Democrate.”

Zaire67 on November 12, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Hate to stir the pot, but my family is Black (I’m bi-racial) and we don’t consider Obama to be Black.

Here me out. Barack is, like me, bi-racial but his father is from Africa. No one in his family has had the “Black experience” like my family for example, who have been in America since the 1700′s. My great grand mother died when she was damn near 100 and her mother was a slave. Etc Etc all these things, from where we live to what we eat (we serve collards at thanksgiving) is what makes Black Americans “Black” and Obama just doesn’t have any of those experieces.

African American yes, “Black” no. A lot of Black folk will deny it, but I’m telling you the truth, Clinton will get the Black vote.

Which is why the GOP candidate should pick Steele as v.p., he’ll peel off a good 15% from the Dems.

Rob Taylor on November 12, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Rob Taylor on November 12, 2007 at 6:12 PM

If he could get 15%, he would be the VP. I just don’t think, although you would have a better intuition and knowledge, he could peel off 15% of the black vote.
Clinton will get the black vote.

right2bright on November 12, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Steele got endorsed by the NAACP when he ran in Maryland(?)and Black evangelicals are tied to the Dems by a thread. More exposure of the Latino gangs Klannish activity in traditionally Black areas and an embrace of Islam by the left (Islam is a sensitive subject for religous Blacks who see the Muslims as breaking up Churches that are the center of community life) and a lot of Black voters will be looking for an excuse to jump ship.

That’s just my theory you understand, but I’ve almost got my mother (a unionized socail worker in NYC) to vote GOP, which means anything’s possible.

Rob Taylor on November 12, 2007 at 6:22 PM

I don’t care for Mrs. Obama either, but, other that the part about black people “waking up” and voting for her husband, I agree with her. And the fact that there are so few Rices and Powells, relatively speaking, proves her point in the “exception that prove the rule” manner. (Jordan should not be in that number number; perhaps someone like Clarence Thomas or Thomas Sowell would be better.)

I don’t think that some of you are getting the point. For once, a black Democrat is saying that black people are holding themselves back, rather than asserting that we are passive victims of others (read: white people). After all, haven’t we all deplored the various methods/excuses that black persons use to explain why some don’t finish school/commit crime/have children out of wedlock? Haven’t we all scoffed when some blame The White Man for everything bad in the world? She-Obama is simply saying that, sometimes (perhaps often), black people are their own barrier to success. She mars the message by holding up her husband’s candidacy as an example but what would one expect?

Sometimes it’s not about the white-guilt, folks.

baldilocks on November 12, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Sometimes it’s not about the white-guilt, folks.

baldilocks on November 12, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Good post Baldilocks. I was beginning to think no one else was seeing it the way you described.

Bradky on November 12, 2007 at 7:20 PM

I agree with her. Her sentiments are true and on point. Even though I don’t support Obama, I have asked many black democrats I know why they absolutely hate the witch about this, and they all agree that he can;t win because he’s black. I get it…

Chudi on November 12, 2007 at 8:17 PM

But a black man isn’t the only person qualified to help blacks get out of their own way. THAT is the racism in it.

csdeven on November 12, 2007 at 8:24 PM

csdeven on November 12, 2007 at 8:24 PM

I think you are taking it the wrong way. Her comments were very similar to what is in Cosby’s latest book about problems in the black community. It’s not a “Great Black Hope” thing – it is a comment on a perceived resignation within the community that it is pointless to try to expect a black person to be elected.

Bradky on November 12, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Poppycock! The whole black victim shtick is played out, used up, and most definitely abused. The impression I get from her is the same I get from most self-annointed leaders of the black community. If it rains on them, it’s because they’re black. If they’re in a car accident, it’s because they’re black. If a black person commits a crime and gets arrested and sent to jail, it’s because they’re black. If they don’t get anything their way, it’s becuase they’re black. On and on etc et al.

She’s playing the race card everytime she opens her mouth. She stereotypes her own “people”, as well as white’s. There is absolutely NOTHING stopping a black person from going to school, studying, and getting an education. There’s absolutely NOTHING stopping them from choosing the path that does not lead to incarceration. There’s NOTHING stopping a black with an education and no criminal record from getting a high paying job. NOTHING at all, but the choices that THEY make, like everyone else who is not black.

I grew up in North Long Beach California in south Los Angeles. Four kids in one small bedroom, my parents had even a smaller bedroom. We had one bathroom, a small kitchen and a tiny livingroom. We were poorer than poor even though my father worked his fingers to the bone on two jobs. We wore hand-me-downs until they were 3 sizes too small and we shopped at the Salvation Army or Goodwill for school clothes. We ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner sometimes, or boiled beans with a single hamhock. If we were lucky, once in a great while Dad would take us to Tip-Top Burger. What a treat. None of us four kids, NONE out of four, turned into drug addicts, criminals, pimps, or ho’s. NONE of us flunked out of school. NONE of us were ever given a damn thing. No welfare, no food stamps. None of us used some poor poor pitiful me excuse and we all worked hard. Eventually, we all moved out and on with our lives. All of us eventually purchasing our own homes, starting familys, etc. It was not easy but we all perservered, all of us, and we’re all doing okay.

It has nothing to do with skin color and EVERYTHING to do with self-accountability, personal responsibilty, hard work, and plain old morals and values.

And if anything will force me to never vote for Barack Obama, it’s not his skin color or his political leanings, it’s the use of the tried and true black victim crusade that will guarantee he’ll never ever get my vote.

SilverStar830 on November 13, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Is anyone else tired of the “more oppressed than thou” BS yet?

Ryan Gandy on November 13, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Is anyone else tired of the “more oppressed than thou” BS yet?

Ryan Gandy on November 13, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Not nearly as tired as I am of reading the insensitive and uncaring comments about the black community’s such as yours. The refusal to at least listen to what members of the black community have to say about their experiences and views shows just how very far we still have to go.
Any black person over the age of 43 has lived in a time in which they didn’t enjoy the same constitutional rights as whites. This “I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, why cant’ you?” overlooks the many societal and emotional barriers that the black community was raised with and frankly is a cop out.

Bradky on November 13, 2007 at 5:21 AM