Louisiana rep to civil rights veteran: “Talk to you later, Buckwheat”

posted at 6:53 pm on November 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

Her party is identified in the second sentence, a practice usually reserved for Republicans but forced upon the AP here by the electoral ramifications of the incident. The curious thing is that it wasn’t said in anger; on the contrary, she said it at the end of a conversation expressing her gratitude for the subject’s GOTV efforts on her behalf. One of the stranger racist incidents you’ll ever hear of:

Rep. Carla Blanchard Dartez, a Democrat, acknowledged that she ended a Thursday night conversation with Hazel Boykin by saying, “Talk to you later, Buckwheat.” Dartez had been thanking Boykin for driving voters to the polls…

Boykin, 75, helped desegregate restaurants and the parish school system in the 1960s. Her son, Jerome, is president of the Terrebonne Parish chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

“I’ve never had no one talk to me that way and I considered it a racial slur,” Hazel Boykin said. “I know the meaning of it, it’s just like the N-word.”

Jerome Boykin said Monday he planned to ask voters to cast ballots against Dartez, who faces Republican Joe Harrison in Saturday’s runoff.

“At this point, the NAACP is not concerned about the Democratic Party or the Republican Party. If a Republican is elected because of her racist remarks, that’s her responsibility,” he said of Dartez.

The question left unanswered by the AP article: Was “Buckwheat” some sort of Freudian slip as Dartez was trying to say “Boykin”? Or was it intentionally uttered in some bizarre half-assed attempt at camaraderie? WAFB supplies the terrible, improbable truth:

Boykin says, after his mother told him about the conversation, he called Dartez and she acknowledged she had used the “Buckwheat” reference. He says Dartez started to cry and apologized. “She said she’d gone to Walmart a couple of days ago and bought an Eddie Murphy tape and that’s what they said on the tape.” He says Dartez indicated she did not realize that the term could be interpreted as a racial slur.

Exit question one: Is Dartez really this stupid or is this just her equally half-assed cover story? Exit question two: Assuming she doesn’t resign, which WAFB says is a possibility, does she defeat the Republican anyway? (Exit answer: Yes!)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It was SATIRE.

Slublog on November 12, 2007 at 6:59 PM

ouch, heckuva freudian slip….
i just aint buying the recent eddie murphy tape defense.

trailortrash on November 12, 2007 at 7:01 PM

If she is that stupid.

Goodbye.

If she’s not that stupid.

Bigger goodbye.

(And it should have been Aunt Jemima, anyway, since Buckwheat is a guy insult …so, at best, she’s a stupid stupid non-racist, and, at worst, a super stupid racist.)

profitsbeard on November 12, 2007 at 7:01 PM

I keep telling people, Democrats are some of the most racist people in America.

Mindcrime on November 12, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Hey, she could have just as easily asked if he was going to kill his landlord.
/another Murphy bit from SNL

bbz123 on November 12, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Lol, that’s one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard. Imus, remember this excuse for next time. “I just picked up the new Ludacris joint, on my way back from the swap meet…”

RightWinged on November 12, 2007 at 7:05 PM

C-I-L-L

baldilocks on November 12, 2007 at 7:06 PM

Murphy as the prison poet, can’t find the vid but here is the cpy.
baldilocks remembers correctly,

“Images by Tyrone Greene”

Dark and lonely on a summer’s night.
Kill my landlord. Kill my landlord.
Watchdog barking. Do he bite?
Kill my landlord. Kill my landlord.
Slip in his window. Break his neck.
Then his house I start to wreck.
Got no reason. What the heck?
Kill my landlord. Kill my landlord.
C-I-L-L my land l

bbz123 on November 12, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Get over it and stop filling up the dictionary with N-word Synonyms.

There’s no excuse for any elected official to address anyone in that manner. Resign, Yes. A democratic pattern, Yes.

Kini on November 12, 2007 at 7:10 PM

WELL she should have just asked them if they’d read the latest non-fiction great by Velvet Jones!

flyawaybird on November 12, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Is anyone calling for Eddie Murphy to resign?

pedestrian on November 12, 2007 at 7:16 PM

If this had been a Republican, he or she would be required to resign, and it would be all we’d hear about for the rest of the year.

Since it’s a Democrat, I figure it’s over by tomorrow and nobody loses their job.

Kensington on November 12, 2007 at 7:16 PM

I’d never heard of Macaca before, but everyone knows about Buckwheat!

ctmom on November 12, 2007 at 7:17 PM

“Images by Tyrone Greene”

Kill my landlord. Kill my landlord.
C-I-L-L my land lord
You know, I remember this being hysterically funny, but seeing it in print, I don’t think it should work. If the point of the joke is that Tyrone Green is a bad speller, wouldn’t he be more likely to associate “K” with the “K” sound rather than “C”? “K-I-L my landlord” might have made more sense.

Hey, lookit me! I’m a comedy writer now!

Kensington on November 12, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Will the drive-by media even slow down for this one, since a (D) is attached to her name?.

Either way she sounds like a dumb liberal trying to co-opt the black man’s culture………again. /sarcasm (but only a little)

Mallard T. Drake on November 12, 2007 at 7:19 PM

At least she didn’t say “O-TAY!” Heh.

robblefarian on November 12, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Reporter: “OMG! SPEED UP! SPEED UP!”

Kensington on November 12, 2007 at 7:25 PM

She should have been real glad she didn’t pick up the special edition of “Blazing Saddles”.

bbz123 on November 12, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Democrats — learning racial harmony through Eddie Murphy movies.

Makes perfect sense.

As a member of the liberal elite, Dartez is probably not used to acutally interacting with the people that vote for her — unless they are cleaning her house or taking care of the gardening.

What makes no sense is why blacks outside of large urban areas vote for elitist white liberals.

mesablue on November 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM

I was recently informed that the word “gal” is a racist term for black women. I was all, “are you sure? I don’t think that’s right” but my co-worker was adamant about it. Methinks some folks see racism everywhere they look.

Bad Penny on November 12, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Eddie Murphy’s saving grace: he was funny (at least back then). Not so much now.

As a matter of fact, the humor quotient will save almost all “offensive” jokes/routines.

baldilocks on November 12, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Methinks some folks see racism everywhere they look.

Bad Penny on November 12, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Methinks you’re correct.

baldilocks on November 12, 2007 at 7:32 PM

O-tay

Mojack420 on November 12, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Hey, lookit me! I’m a comedy writer now!

Kensington on November 12, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Methinks you might look for a second job. :-D

baldilocks on November 12, 2007 at 7:34 PM

What? You mean that “up yours nigger!” isn’t a charming ghetto colloquialism?

Ochlan on November 12, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Did someone ask…will the drive-by media even slow down for this one? I say HA… and HA again.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE…MOVE ALONG…

RMR on November 12, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Mkay, well, she has two options at this point. She can point to the color of her hair or … she can admit she wasn’t born or raised here.

Dusty on November 12, 2007 at 7:35 PM

buckwheats greatest hits

Mojack420 on November 12, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Yes, and no. No answer makes any sense other than she somehow didn’t know that this was insulting. That’s not ignorance, though; it’s militant stupidity.

(Exit answer: Yes) Duh.

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 7:39 PM

In fairness if I ever got into a conversation with Kos Im certain I would end it with “Talk to you later jerkweed”

William Amos on November 12, 2007 at 7:40 PM

“if I ever got into a conversation with Kos Im certain I would end it with “Talk to you later jerkweed”

Even if it was a pleasant and civil conversation?

terryannonline on November 12, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Even if it was a pleasant and civil conversation?

terryannonline on November 12, 2007 at 7:43 PM

With Kos is that possible ?

William Amos on November 12, 2007 at 7:46 PM

It’s not Buckwheat, it’s Bu-wee. Ohtay!

pocomoco on November 12, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Shabazz K. Morton was unavailable for comment.

Good thing she didn’t stumble across the 1989 VHS version.

Still, the first DVD was released in 1998, then another one in 2003. She’s just found them now? Riiiight.

It’s funny because each release keeps getting more PC and less funny.

reaganaut on November 12, 2007 at 7:51 PM

If that was a republican…he’d be appearring on the Al Sharpton show tomorrow.

malkinmania on November 12, 2007 at 7:53 PM

mesablue on November 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM

Come on now! Don’t you know? It’s because they are oppressed

lsutiger on November 12, 2007 at 7:53 PM

You know, those democraps are truly pathetic.

Zorro on November 12, 2007 at 7:55 PM

How many words are going to be offensive to bla…, I mean, African-Americans? Are they gonna be upset if I used the word NIGGARDLY in a conversation? How about NEGRO, is that offensive? Geez, if you are so insecure as a race that you are offended by every single word that MIGHT be a pejorative, I suggest you just list those words somewhere so us racist white people know the rules up front.

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 12, 2007 at 7:58 PM

Seriously, she had no idea it could be taken as a racial slur? That is priceless and funny to boot.

kahall on November 12, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Come on now! Don’t you know? It’s because they are oppressed

lsutiger on November 12, 2007 at 7:53 PM

M. Obama: TOTAL AFFIRMATIVE ACTION RECIPIENT.

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 12, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Racist.

She needs to 20 Hail Jesse’s and 3 “The Al” Prayers and she’ll be good to go!!!!

JayHaw Phrenzie on November 12, 2007 at 8:04 PM

kahall on November 12, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Buckwheat??? I call all my Caucasian-American friends Buckwheat now and then. Who the hell would know an African-American would object?

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 12, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 12, 2007 at 7:58 PM

silly person

the offense is already/always there; it’s just looking for an excuse to surface

the whole point is to not let anyone know the rules upfront so that it can surface at the most inopportune, unexpected moment

see: macaca

urbancenturion on November 12, 2007 at 8:10 PM

Come to think of my grandmother did call a broken beer bottle a N—– knife.

What movie is that from?

TheSitRep on November 12, 2007 at 8:11 PM

I call all my Caucasian-American friends Buckwheat now and then.

I say “o tay, alfalfa” now and then, and I suppose my kids, who have grown up hearing it, have no idea of its origin. I’ll have to pay attention to hear if they ever say it. But they’re only half white caucasian european-american, so they won’t get in trouble if they say it.

Bad Penny on November 12, 2007 at 8:15 PM

I think that they all just need to go to the

“HOT TUB!!!!”

and relax a bit.

bbz123 on November 12, 2007 at 8:18 PM

silly person

the offense is already/always there; it’s just looking for an excuse to surface

see: macaca

urbancenturion on November 12, 2007 at 8:10 PM

Ignorant person.

The point is that obvious pejoratives are just that – obvious. No one needs a roadmap. But your comment is essentially putting a prior restraint on free speech simply because YOU MAY be offended, but what most educated people do not consider to be a pejorative.

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 12, 2007 at 8:20 PM

but = by

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 12, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 12, 2007 at 8:20 PM

he was being sarcastic

JiangxiDad on November 12, 2007 at 8:22 PM

nix that. u misread him.

JiangxiDad on November 12, 2007 at 8:23 PM

For forty years the Democrats have managed to keep their true feelings about blacks neatly tucked away in a corner of their brains but, occasionally, a slip up occurs as has happened with Dartez.

It is far beyond my comprehension why blacks are so in love with the Democrats when it was they who were responsible for the hangings in the South, the opposition to The Civil Rights Act, and the breakup of the black family as a result of the Great Society welfare programs.

And their concerned only with a few words? Give me a break!

pocomoco on November 12, 2007 at 8:24 PM

he was being sarcastic

JiangxiDad on November 12, 2007 at 8:22 PM

You sure? No /sarc tags! Sorry if true.

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 12, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Funny how when a white person tries to “assimilate” into the black thing they always end up doing a racist tango.

T J Green on November 12, 2007 at 8:26 PM

Weren’t we all saying “No Sh*t Buckwheat?” for a while there? Wasn’t that like a “up your nose with a rubber hose” or “sit on it” moments? A catch phrase from a popular show or comic?

CrimsonFisted on November 12, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Come to think of my grandmother did call a broken beer bottle a N—– knife.

What movie is that from?

TheSitRep on November 12, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Clerks 2. Pretty funny movie.

jayj on November 12, 2007 at 11:33 PM

my heart is light at the fact that it wasn’t a republican this time, so instead of commenting, i shall laugh: ha ha ha ha!

jummy on November 12, 2007 at 11:42 PM

If she had said “Talk to you later, Spanky”, the S&M crowd would be slapping her silly.

Shy Guy on November 12, 2007 at 11:42 PM

“O tay Ba wee” was a slam on the kid who couldn’t speak no good english.(lol) He happened to be white.

csdeven on November 12, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Well, this ought to “stymie” her election aspirationa…..

ritethinker on November 12, 2007 at 11:58 PM

ouch, heckuva freudian slip….
i just aint buying the recent eddie murphy tape defense.

trailortrash on November 12, 2007 at 7:01 PM

The REAL exit question? Did she buy the Eddie Murphy tape to learn how to relate?

I don’t buy it either. I suspect Murphy used quite a few other words not normally used every day. Will she be using them too?

91Veteran on November 13, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Eddie Murphy as Buckwheat?

I question her timing.

soundingboard on November 13, 2007 at 12:49 AM

It wasn’t Buckwheat… it’s Buh-weet.

Mojave Mark on November 13, 2007 at 1:22 AM

I’m outrageously outraged!

Kralizec on November 13, 2007 at 4:15 AM

I miss Darla.

tgillian on November 13, 2007 at 6:47 AM

Ah ain’t cho mama.

There’s nothing worse
in this universe
than no Aunt Jemima pancakes at all

Coronagold on November 13, 2007 at 6:53 AM

“she started to cry” awwwwwww, poor baby.

Nothing to see here, nothing will happen to her she’s a democrat. They’ll even vote her back in.

LtE126 on November 13, 2007 at 7:05 AM

You folks are aware that the KKK was originally formed and behaved as an offshoot of the Democratic Party, don’t you? ‘Tis true. Local part officials were officers in the Klan, and in 1921, the Party formally recognized them as part of their alliance. And you know that Sen. Robert Byrd (D) is a former Klan officer. But did you also know that in a period of over 30 years, Republicans attempted to pass a Civil Rights Bill, but was either voted down or killed in committee? 8 out of 10 Republicans voted for a civil rights bill, while over 6 out of 10 Democrats voted against.

And, of course, you all know that it took a CONSERVATIVE Republican Senate minority leader, Evertt Dirksen, to break the Southern Democratic filibuster that got the Civil Rights passed in 1964. Of the Senators voting against cloture, only one was a Republican (he was a southerner). All the rest were Southern Democrats.

The Republicans came into existence because they supported abolition. The Democrats, as a party didn’t. When Lincoln was elected (with less than a popular majority), the Southern Democrats seceded.

Democrats formed the political cadre of the Confederacy. Not a single southern state went to Lincoln in 1860, but ended up in the Democratic Party column.

It is a historical fact that NORTHERN Democrats, ostensibly loyal to the Union, became known as “Copperheads” in the 1864 election, because then as now, they ran on a platform of surrender and appeasement to the Confederacy. And after the war, the Republican were behind both the 13th and 14th Amendments.

When I repeat the above to some of my black former associates, and then ask them why they support the Democratic Party, they are stunned. Most of them had no idea that it was the Republicans who freed them, that the Republicans worked for decades for a civil rights law, and that it was the DEMOCRATS that wanted them (and still wants them) kept down on the plantation.

georgej on November 13, 2007 at 7:12 AM

Hmm, if she can get away with that kind of twisted logic…

…then she’s Gumby, dammit!

James on November 13, 2007 at 8:29 AM

Let’s see now, it I said I slept every night with ‘Buckwheat’ would that make me a gay black person, a white women whose husband is black, or Spanky and the gang spending the night in the tree house of the “Women Hater’s” Club.

Of course not I am either a racist or a person who believes that sleeping on ‘Buckwheat’ pillows is healthy-you chose while I snooze.

MSGTAS on November 13, 2007 at 8:56 AM

Speaking as a resident of New Orleans- Lord, hasn’t Louisiana Suffered Enough

First You inflicted Hurricanes Katrina and Rita on the state. Then You smote us with the bad leadership of Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin. You sent us William Jefferson who got reelected by the Devil’s spawn. You sent us David Vitter who got caught with hookers. Now You’ve sent us racist politicians whose idiotic comments have become national news fodder! Standing by for the swarm of locusts…….

highhopes on November 13, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Let her sleep with the “Dog”s.

right2bright on November 13, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Dartez is well known around Baton Rouge for her… well let’s just say … unladylike behavior. She’s also an idiot.

We are ridding ourselves of this idiocy. It just takes time.

roux on November 13, 2007 at 9:57 AM

highhopes on November 13, 2007 at 9:11 AM

True but you also have….

Louis Armstrong
Van Cliburn
Michael De Bakey
Fats Domino

Focus on the positive. :-) Heck, I’m from Idaho and we have Senator Craig. BUT, we also have potatoes!

csdeven on November 13, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Buckwheat… the new Macaca.

Always Right on November 13, 2007 at 10:09 AM

What? You mean that “up yours nigger!” isn’t a charming ghetto colloquialism?

Ochlan on November 12, 2007 at 7:34 PM

“I thought you were hung”…”I am”…

right2bright on November 13, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Hmm, if she can get away with that kind of twisted logic…

…then she’s Gumby, dammit!

James on November 13, 2007 at 8:29 AM

Good one, James.

ej_pez on November 13, 2007 at 10:16 AM

She said, Buckwheat and shopped at Walmart.
That’s 2 Democrat strikes.
1 more and she’s gotta cross the aisle.

least1 on November 13, 2007 at 10:34 AM

csdeven on November 13, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Good advice! But musicians and 99-year-old surgeons do not a society make! Yes, there are some things here that are absolutely great and if you are a tourist in the French Quarter you will see little evidence of the chaos one can find just a mile away in the neighborhoods.

The reality is that Louisiana is being left behind by all the bad leadership floating around. Mississippi has 500 families in FEMA-funded modular “Katrina Cottages” while Louisiana is just signing out the first contract for 100 and they are all going to military housing for the Louisiana National Guard at Jackson Barracks. The New Orleans DA just had to resign because of his incompetence (he let William Jefferson’s people fire all the whites and now is dealing with a $3.5 court judgement). There has been one murder prosecuted in Orleans Parish in the same two years that the homocide rate is worst-in-the-nation (somewhere in the 170s at this point for 07). That prosecution was against a doctor who stayed behind at one of the NOLA hospitals and came back as “not guilty.”

All this is a long way of saying that we don’t need a Macaca moment making its way into the national spotlight. I don’t know the candidate in this case and the furor is pretty tame by Louisiana standards- one election cycle they had to explain that the “I” behind a candidate’s name meant incumbent and not indicted! Nevertheless, this is not the kind of publicity that is needed at a time Bobby Jindal is starting work to reform Louisiana politics.

highhopes on November 13, 2007 at 10:37 AM

1 more and she’s gotta cross the aisle.

least1 on November 13, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Even though a Democrat she has the NAACP campaining against her……

…Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesssss Outahere!

highhopes on November 13, 2007 at 10:39 AM

“I thought you were hung”…”I am”…

right2bright on November 13, 2007 at 10:13 AM

“Bart! You shifty N*! They said you was hung!”
“And they was right…”

Classic. My life is a little emptier with the knowledge I’ll probably never be able to use that line in a real life situation.

By the way: “Talk to you later, Buckwheat.” is not only hysterical in it’s absurdity, but it’s not “racist”. Racial, sure. Not racist imo. The woman is obviously just dense. But damn that’s funny.

Dash on November 13, 2007 at 10:40 AM

I can’t believe she admitted a more greivous sin to cover slur.

Seriously, she went to WAL-MART that den of thieves?

Next thing you know she’ll admit to being there at Wal-Mart originally to have the oil changed in her – gasp – non-hybrid.

spacemonkey on November 13, 2007 at 10:53 AM

I seem to remember that Buckwheat was always the smart one of the Lil’ Rascals. He was many times trying to keep Alfalfa out of trouble. Calling someone Buckwheat should be a compliment.

-FatOldGuy

Fogpig on November 13, 2007 at 11:18 AM

She was just trying to be cool…I commend her efforts to reach out to minorities. I find any effort to impune her character racist themselves.

tomas on November 13, 2007 at 11:20 AM

William “Buckwheat” Thomas
Birth: Mar. 12, 1931
Death: Oct. 10, 1980

One of the most popular of “The Little Rascals”. Thomas played Buckwheat in 93 “Our Gang” films, beginning in 1934. Conceived as a replacement for Matthew “Stymie” Beard, Buckwheat was originally an androgynous character with a tangle of braids, but with time he assumed his true gender and standard costume of floppy hat, striped shirt, and tattered pants precariously held up by one suspender. His garbled English—punctuated by his signature exclamation, “Otay!”—belied a craftiness that put him one step ahead of the bigger kids, and he was often paired with the inscrutable Porky as a sort of Greek chorus to the Gang’s antics. Buckwheat stayed with “Our Gang” until the series’ demise in 1944. Described by his co-stars as easygoing and cooperative, Thomas had seemingly little difficulty adjusting to life outside of show business. After serving in the Army during the Korean War (and obviously not World War II, as noted on his grave marker), he worked for many years as a lab technician at Technicolor and made few attempts to cash in on his fame. When he was given a standing ovation at an “Our Gang” reunion in August of 1980, Thomas was moved to tears. Two months later he died of a heart attack. He was 49. His Buckwheat character was affectionately spoofed by Eddie Murphy during the comedian’s stint on TV’s “Saturday Night Live” in the early 1980s. Thomas was born in Los Angeles. (bio by: Robert Edwards)

Cause of death: Heart attack

Search Amazon for William Thomas

Burial:
Inglewood Park Cemetery
Inglewood
Los Angeles County
California, USA
Plot: Acacia Slope Plot, Lot 773, Grave D. In Northeast corner of plot, next to roadway and directly across from Fairhaven Plot
GPS (lat/lon): 33.964, -118.3371

Record added: Jan 1 2001

Added by: Cinnamonntoast4

Bridgette on November 13, 2007 at 11:32 AM

How can she justify this? Tape, really? 2007? The horror.

And what if this genius rented Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure? Would she walk around mimicking Keanu Reeves?

Dumbtarded.

The Race Card on November 13, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Dash on November 13, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Oh, I don’t know about that. To call somebody that you don’t know really well “Buckwheat” leaves at least the perception of racism. It would be one thing if this were some sort of inside joke but if your defense includes a recently purchased DVD….. there’s something wrong here.

In this bitterly PC time (can you imagine some of the humor in Blazing Saddles being put into a movie today), you have to be very careful about what you say when you are a public figure. George Allen proved that point. It is incomprehensible that you would make a Buckwheat comment to the mother of the parish NAACP unless you were absolutely certain of your audience. O’Tay?

highhopes on November 13, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Is there something more insignificant we can comment on? My shoelace is untied.

thuja on November 13, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Bridgette on November 13, 2007 at 11:32 AM

I have family buried there. It will be an odd delight to visit Buckwheat’s gravesite next time I’m at the cemetary.

***
Remember this movie? The crime gang depicted in the film used the term “buckwheats” as some kind of gangster greeting. Funny stuff.

The Race Card on November 13, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Dash on November 13, 2007 at 10:40 AM

How about: talk to you later Sambo…or talk to you later shoeshiner…talk to you later boy…talk to you later Amos…talk to you later blackface…talk to you later melon eater…talk to you later nappy…
Talk to you later, Buckwheat, is demeaning. I don’t know if she is racist, but she is arrogant and condescending.

right2bright on November 13, 2007 at 12:25 PM

highhopes on November 13, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Disagree. To be racist, i.e. believe she is superior by virtue of race, she’d have to have intent. So I’d need to believe she was deliberately insulting a woman who A) helped her out and B) had obvious, powerful and significant impact in her career and C) is a freakin Civil Rights activist who’s son runs the local NAACP. Come on.

It’s much easier to believe this woman is simply an idiot. Trying to either make an ill advised joke, or thinking she’s a hipster who “speaks the lingo!” or just plain dense or whatever.

right2bright on November 13, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Obviously she didnt say any of those things but I agree Buckwheat is demeaning, which is why it’s so damn funny to me. The absolute absurdity of saying that, to this woman, is just too much. And then the offended woman equates Buckwheat to the N bomb. It’s too good. Man I wish this was on youtube! :)

As I say though, I think here the (D) stands for Dense as is most often the case ;)

Dash on November 13, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Buckwheat has been shot …

along with this woman’s hopes of being re-elected.

Ryan Gandy on November 13, 2007 at 12:54 PM

…or thinking she’s a hipster who “speaks the lingo!”
Dash on November 13, 2007 at 12:43 PM

She could have been studying the Hillary Clinton Dialect System and gotten a little carried away.

Buy Danish on November 13, 2007 at 1:04 PM

Much to do about nothing but a word. How many words can you name that blacks say offend them? Does any word you use (including the divisive African-American) conjure up any different image? BFD is what I say to anyone who is offended by a word. Grow up.

Wade on November 13, 2007 at 1:32 PM