Another planted question at a Hillary press conference? Update: Was Hillary prompted to call on plant?

posted at 7:24 pm on November 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

It doesn’t really count as “standard policy” until it’s been used for 10 years:

Three days after Hillary Clinton’s campaign was forced to admit it had planted a question at an Iowa campaign event, an eagle-eyed tipster noted that this wasn’t the first time the former First Lady’s camp arranged for a friendly voice to lob a softball question.

In announcing her Senate run in 1999, MSNBC reported that “responding to a planted question at a Teachers Union event [Clinton] made it clear she is in the race for the US Senate.”

Follow the link to see what the question was. In her defense, this is a more benign example than the recent two: the question didn’t touch on substantive issues and was planted with one of the hosts of the event, making it more a case of engineering political drama than giving her softballs to field. Even so, those goldarn “boys” who’ve been so ungentlemanly to such a shy, retiring lady of late ought to be mining this for gold. It plays right into their image of her as an establishment phony so out of touch with common people from her years in Washington that she can’t handle their questions anymore. How about it, Silky? Your gloves are already off. Let’s see how that pony kicks.

Update: Pathetic. It’s the campaign equivalent of “I smoked but I didn’t inhale.” Like Finkelstein says, what would be the point of planting questions unless Hillary was planning to make use of them?

Comments

If the playbook still works, you run the plays

Kini on November 12, 2007 at 7:25 PM

“Let’s see how that pony kicks”

Too hard to do w/o mussing his mane.

bbz123 on November 12, 2007 at 7:43 PM

I’m shocked. Shocked and dismayed. (Yeah right)!

The Klinton’s could no more speak the truth than they could speak Klingon.

Zorro on November 12, 2007 at 7:43 PM

If anything like this happens, she as got it in the bag anyway.

Talk of Worst Recession Since the 1930s

MB4 on November 12, 2007 at 7:45 PM

watching silky get all workedup is hilarious.

trailortrash on November 12, 2007 at 7:45 PM

100% of Bill Clinton’s town meetings were staged events* with rigged questions: why should Hillary’s campaign be any different??

*(First-hand knowledge of one of them: I’m not just guessing)

landlines on November 12, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Sounds like hillary’s attempts to plant questions are all going to pot

William Amos on November 12, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Everything they do is staged, that is why the Clenis and Krankles are so pissed with Tim Russert. How dare him ask Krankles a question not scripted. I am surprised she will show her face anywhere until the writers strike is over.

Wade on November 12, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Giving up on the shovel brigade, the Clinton team now employs a front end loader to push the BS.

T J Green on November 12, 2007 at 8:15 PM

What,the decks stacked,and another plant is in the audience,
well don’t have a bird,everybody,and I mean everybody does it,Oh it’s because Hillarys a woman(sarc),Hey,bro,
move it along if you don’t want to get tased,this is Liberal business,what ever it takes to screw the voter over,
so move it along,nothing here to see.

Oh brother,even the media comes out,like a lawyer to defend
Queen Hillary!

canopfor on November 12, 2007 at 11:27 PM

*(First-hand knowledge of one of them: I’m not just guessing)

landlines on November 12, 2007 at 7:46 PM

They were. Remember the one in Chicago where a lady and her husband went, and were manhandled because she asked an unscripted question?

I believe Rush had her on his show discussing it.

There was nothing they did in the ’90′s that was not scripted right down to the dog and the 10 lb prop Bible he carried.

91Veteran on November 12, 2007 at 11:37 PM

“I smoked but I didn’t inhale”

“A did not have sex, with that woman, Ms. Lewinski”

“I wanted to announce that I was running for Senator, but I had no idea the question was coming my way”

“I planted but had no idea the plants were there growing”

Not even the flags believe anything any more…

Entelechy on November 13, 2007 at 12:22 AM

How I wish for her to win the primary!

Entelechy on November 13, 2007 at 12:23 AM

The Clintons have been staging events since at least 1992.

Karl on November 13, 2007 at 12:41 AM

If anything like this happens, she as got it in the bag anyway.

Talk of Worst Recession Since the 1930s

MB4 on November 12, 2007 at 7:45 PM

I’m no historian, but I’m pretty sure that we refer to that period as “The Great Depression” NOT “The Great Recession

But props for the effort to hijack another thread and not bashing Rudy in the process.

NightmareOnKStreet on November 13, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Please let the nominee be Hillary!

Mojave Mark on November 13, 2007 at 1:23 AM

“Hillary would never do anything illegal or immoral and I’ll stake my stainless reputation on that” Sandy Berger.

MaiDee on November 13, 2007 at 7:41 AM

How can anyone be surprised? This has been going on since Kennedy ran for office. Ask someone in politics, from what I hear there is always a plant in the crowd. For local events it boils down to a simple take the question from the guy with the pen in his hand.
I was told during a training session at a D.C. think tank that the videos of the crowds rushing Kennedy were staged. The speaker said the crowd was there, but there were numerous plants who were to rush through the crowd, knock the rope barriers down and essentially create that moment.
Again, this isn’t that new, it is what people in politics are trained to do. It is what I was trained to do in a campaign. What is somewhat amazing is that the Clintons were caught and/or that they admitted to it.

infidel2 on November 13, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Was Hillary prompted to call on plant?

Duh. Why else would one ‘plant’ someone to ask a canned question?

docdave on November 13, 2007 at 3:33 PM