Video: Lumberjack in a Desert

posted at 7:19 pm on November 11, 2007 by Bryan

If you only watch one video on this Veterans Day/Armistice Day, make it this one. It’s the story or champion logroller turned National Guardsman J.R. Salzman. Salzman joined the Guard after 9-11 and served in Iraq in 2006 and was wounded by an IED while patrolling near Baghdad in December 2006. I can’t do J.R. and his wife Josie’s story justice by describing them or their courage. Just make sure that you watch.

Comments

BLESS YOU & THANK YOU

commonsensehoosier on November 11, 2007 at 7:34 PM

I’m a lumberjack and I’m okay
I sleep all night and I work all day…

mram on November 11, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Wow.

Great story. Thanks for posting, Bryan.

JetBoy on November 11, 2007 at 7:45 PM

mram on November 11, 2007 at 7:36 PM

That would be funny if it wasn’t so tasteless in this context.

>>>

To J.R. and his wife:

{salute}

Lawrence on November 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM

I’m gonna come back and I’m gonna win again. It’s that simple.

Awesome.

The Race Card on November 11, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Bless you and Go get em! a Champion you are.

ajmontana on November 11, 2007 at 8:03 PM

great post Bryan. JR and his wife were at this year’s milblogging conference. He’s a phenomenal guy, a real credit to the service.

John from OPFOR on November 11, 2007 at 8:05 PM

That would be funny if it wasn’t so tasteless in this context funny meant lame.

Amended.

The Race Card on November 11, 2007 at 8:07 PM

God bless them both. What an amazing man. Hope he does win the log rolling championship.

(I didn’t even know such a championship existed)

mjk on November 11, 2007 at 8:27 PM

I don’t watch ABC, CBS, or NBC news anymore because of their usually anti-American slant, but this ABC report about a Veteran’s home coming was a good one.
Thanks to a felllow veteran John F. who sent it to me.

WildBillK on November 11, 2007 at 8:34 PM

That was a great video and a great story. This is going to stick with me.

ZRyan on November 11, 2007 at 8:38 PM

What an inspiration. J. R. Salzman, American. Thank you for defending us, for your sacrifice and May God Bless you and your family.

Bryan, great video. Thanks.

Zorro on November 11, 2007 at 8:42 PM

What an incredible human being.

Thanks for posting, Bryan.

GT on November 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM

The Salzmans are my heros.

oakpack on November 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Fantastic spirit; good interview. Glad to hear him throw the Walter Reed bureaucrats under the bus — “I did my job; do yours!”

God bless him. I will travel to Hayward and see him roll that log.

Jaibones on November 11, 2007 at 9:26 PM

So painful from so many viewpoints, and yet so inspiring. There is no doubt that this man will be the champion again.

Reflect how little Olberkind, and his do, in comparison. We’re all sissies, compared to the Soldiers and our Veterans.

Entelechy on November 11, 2007 at 9:36 PM

God bless all of our veterans… especially the Salzmans.

Thanks, Bryan, for another great catch.

MsUnderestimated on November 11, 2007 at 9:39 PM

A very inspiring video.

4shoes on November 11, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Here is a great 5 page story from ESPN Outdoors about JR Salzman from back on 1 OCT 2007:

The Recovery of JR Salzman

Michael in MI on November 11, 2007 at 10:13 PM

I dare anyone to whine about mundane stuff again after watching that video.

God bless the Salzman family, and the rest of our troops (past and present) throughout the world.

itzWicks on November 11, 2007 at 10:20 PM

It’s odd, being a veteran on Veteran’s day. My parents are veterans, both loyal and honorable servicemembers, who have sinced proved it by raising a family of servicemembers and veterans. I come from a “Lieutenant Dan” family, and rare’s the break in the history of the US without someone of my line serving in the military. And my mother’s family has been in North America since Montreal, my father’s since the 1740’s. By today my brother has served 7 years in the Army, I’ve served more than 5, my uncle 20-plus, my brother-in-law more than 2 in the USAF, various cousins have 3 or more years in the National Guard. All this to say that, as a member of a family of quiet service in the United States military, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your support.

Spc Steve on November 11, 2007 at 10:22 PM

That was moving and emotional,if ever a story should be
told,or a movie made(Hollywood are you listening)JR.Salzman
story,the ups and downs,and raw emotion,he’s a positive
roll model and a shining beacon for others to follow
and overcome.

Hollywood,this is a movie I would pay to go see.

canopfor on November 11, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Hollywood,this is a movie I would pay to go see.

canopfor on November 11, 2007 at 10:47 PM

I’m with you Bro.

TheSitRep on November 11, 2007 at 11:01 PM

THAT is the America in which I am hopelessly in love…

D2Boston on November 11, 2007 at 11:36 PM

G-d bless you and your family, Mr. Salzman. Keep on rolling in everything you do.

Regards from Jerusalem.

Shy Guy on November 12, 2007 at 12:19 AM

D2Boston on November 11, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Sorry, D2, that America has been banned in our school system. You must be referring to another America.

Jaibones on November 12, 2007 at 8:24 AM

Brought a tear to my eye. That doesn’t happen often.

BadgerHawk on November 12, 2007 at 10:12 AM

So inspiring. Thank you so much for your bravery and service J.R.! You ARE what we so wish we all could be again.

God bless you and your family.

tickleddragon on November 12, 2007 at 10:16 AM

What a great story for Veterans Day. As Veteran (retired 25 years), ‘Never Forget’ I don’t.

Mr. Salzman will regain his title, not because of his wounds but because of his love of life, country, his family, and log rolling.

For all, please remember what a Veteran wakes up with each morning-the fact that more than their uniform they put their life on the line for you, what have you done for them?

MSGTAS on November 12, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Jaibones… good point, but I assure you that IS my America… not the one that our public schools and the teachers’ unions are trying so desperately to eradicate.

The Salzmans rock!

D2Boston on November 12, 2007 at 10:38 AM

I dare anyone to whine about mundane stuff again after watching that video.

gradyman on November 12, 2007 at 11:09 AM

That would be funny if it wasn’t so tasteless in this context.

Lawrence on November 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM

I didn’t really see it as being tasteless. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and his wife, but that’s the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard the word lumberjack.

There’s nothing derogatory in the lines that were quoted.

As to Salzman, his attitude is incredible. Also, he’s very good looking. His wife is a lucky woman.

Esthier on November 12, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Sacrifice is love in action, and it is especially sweet when it inspires others. This video “hit the mark” with Hot Air viewers.

An inspiring message for Veteran’s Day.

T J Green on November 12, 2007 at 2:18 PM