Video: Clinton campaign admits planting a question during an Iowa townhall meeting Update: Again?

posted at 10:27 am on November 10, 2007 by Bryan

Busted!

Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton’s campaign admitted Friday that it planted a global warming question in Newton, Iowa, Tuesday during a town hall meeting to discuss clean energy.

Clinton campaign spokesman Mo Elliethee admitted that the campaign had planted the question and said it would not happen again.

“On this occasion a member of our staff did discuss a possible question about Senator Clinton’s energy plan at a forum,” Elliethee said.

“However, Senator Clinton did not know which questioners she was calling on during the event. This is not standard policy and will not be repeated again.”

Not standard policy. Uh-huh.

Update: Michelle has more.

Update: But, I thought they said this wasn’t a standard practice.

This reminds me of something I observed during the first Clinton run for the White House. I was a radio news reporter in East Texas, and Clinton’s bus tour came through. There wasn’t a lot of support for him in the area, so they resorted to busing crowds in from elsewhere to make it look like a groundswell was building for him in Bush country. The main difference between then and now, I guess, is that what they did then wasn’t so much planting questions as planting whole crowds.

Comments

She proved in the last debate that she can’t even hit softball questions, so I guess they moved her to the t-ball league. And still a Whifffffffffffffff.

PatrickS on November 10, 2007 at 10:31 AM

What network did the plant work for?

roninacreage on November 10, 2007 at 10:36 AM

B-b-b-but Jeeeff Gaaaannon!!!1!11eleventy!1

Bad Candy on November 10, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Well, pretty much anything “positive” about her is a fabrication anyway, so deception and subterfuge are her main modes.

bbz123 on November 10, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Well said.

Very well said…

Corky on November 10, 2007 at 10:51 AM

when you only have 3 answers in total, you need to control the questions.
What a LOON. Shillary for the BIG HOUSE, not the White House.

shooter on November 10, 2007 at 10:58 AM

looks like their getting their campaigning ideas from FEMA

mfnorman on November 10, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Thirteen hours ago I posted this story in the other Clinton thread (“Bill Clinton: I’ll take the blame on HillaryCare’s failure”) at 9:06PM last night as it was breaking on Hannity & Colmes:

Just now on H&C Hillary campaign admits PLANTING A QUESTION IN IOWA. Surprised anyone? Rut-Roh, Iowans aren’t going to like this…

Countdown to Slick Willie’s defense of her in 3…2…1…

NightmareOnKStreet on November 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Tough to keep up when Allah’s away? Rut-roh…

NightmareOnKStreet on November 10, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Planted questions, scripted answers, rehearsed fawning, mindless drivel.

Pantsuit ’08!

JammieWearingFool on November 10, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Hillary (I never answer any questions) probably
even got that answer wrong too. She just keeps beating
around the bush she is hiding behind.

PaKeystoner on November 10, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Bill did it too. Like I said in the Headline section: Same sh*t, different Klinton.

Tony737 on November 10, 2007 at 11:27 AM

This just in. Teacher’s Unions defend Hillary: “She’s not a frod!”

PatrickS on November 10, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Not standard policy. Uh-huh.

That was probably referring to getting caught.

Wade on November 10, 2007 at 11:31 AM

I love Hillary’s fake answer. “It’s usually the young people who ask me about global warming.”

Yeah. It costs too much to get us older folk to ask your questions for you. Unless you work for the MSM, of course.

Totally busted. Total awesomeness!

Ordinary1 on November 10, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Hillary’s success depends upon achieving absolute control of the electorate’s collective minds and behaviors. Nothing can be left to chance and her true motivations must never be exposed. This woman is a hard core Marxist and to her the masses are nothing but tools to be manipulated to her benefit. Scary? You bet, and you should be very afraid.

rplat on November 10, 2007 at 11:47 AM

If this was a plant, shouldn;t have been a question about legalizing pot?

Or would than have been one toke over the line?

profitsbeard on November 10, 2007 at 11:50 AM

The problem was…Chris Matthews was a plant, she just forgot the answer.

right2bright on November 10, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Come on there is nothing dishonest about this. The candidate has a, “D,” after her name.

JannyMae on November 10, 2007 at 11:54 AM

rplat on November 10, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Man, did you say it! And that is what really scares me about a Clinton presidency. She relies so much on controlling situations and utterly collapses when something spontaneous occurs.
How in the hell will she deal with the reality of the Presidency, when things happen so fast in the world, and not according to her plan? She will try to spin so hard that she will be utterly ineffectual. The world can’t afford that now…

redshirt on November 10, 2007 at 11:54 AM

…and this is NEWS???

FLASH: The Clintons ALWAYS plant the questions!!! They preview each and every one, and don’t allow any questions they don’t want to answer!!!

FIRST HAND EVIDENCE: I was one of the citizens included in one of Bill Clinton’s “Town Meetings” when he was running for his first term (I’ve got the T-shirt to prove it). A local TV station (KCTV 5) screened written entries for weeks in advance and selected the best questions. We were all prepared, primed, locked in a TV studio with heavy security, and waited our turn to ask our questions.

What happened? The Clinton crew brought in its own questioners who threw him nothing but Larry King-like softballs. The vast majority of the actual locals never got to participate at all.

And,not surprisingly, many of the “ringers” were busty young things who spent most of their time making eyes at Bill.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED with the Clintons: same scandals, same old frauds.

landlines on November 10, 2007 at 11:57 AM

I’m still mystified by the Shillary’s answer…

“..I find as I travel around Iowa that it’s usually young people that ask me about global warming.”

HOW? How could that be?????
It keeps me up at night wondering….

shooter on November 10, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Oh, come guys, Hillary’s a girl, stop teasing her. Next thing you know she’ll get so upset she’ll have to fix her makeup.

Did she also plant a question about vacuum cleaners and mops?

pedestrian on November 10, 2007 at 12:06 PM

redshirt on November 10, 2007 at 11:54 AM

WELL SAID, Redshirt!!

NightmareOnKStreet on November 10, 2007 at 12:10 PM

This will not sit well with Iowa voters. I’m assuming this dirty deed is getting much coverage in the MSM there. /s

sonnyspats1 on November 10, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Question: “As a young person, I’m worried about the long-term effects of global warming How does your plan combat climate change?

Clinton: “Well, you should be worried. You know, I find as I travel around Iowa that it’s usually young people that ask me about global warming.”

I keep thinking I’m missing something here. That’s it? That is her final answer? To a planted question? Maybe she should have polled the audience for the right answer.

And she must feel so betrayed that the plant turned her in for canning questions. But, but, young people love me!

JammieWearingFool on November 10, 2007 at 11:15 AM

That link at your site that morphs Miss South Carolina into Hillary is very funny – thanks!

Buy Danish on November 10, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Hillary Clinton, as deep as the shallowest of the shallow.

Gatordoug on November 10, 2007 at 12:20 PM

from redshirt:

How in the hell will she deal with the reality of the Presidency, when things happen so fast in the world,..”

when things happen so fast in the world, …
thirty, forty, fifty times , EACH and EVERY day.
She’ll collapse, she might even cry, but she will NOT be able to lead this country. (let alone the entire free world)

shooter on November 10, 2007 at 12:25 PM

shooter on November 10, 2007 at 12:25 PM

If you thought Carter was a disastyer as president, just wait for Hillary.

Gatordoug on November 10, 2007 at 12:29 PM

“…she’ll have to fix her makeup…”
pedestrian on November 10, 2007 at 12:06 PM

LOL!! And here’s some of what Bill has to say about Hillary’s feminine wiles, from the fake blog/news parody site, NEWSGROPER, of course:

Hillary is a woman. Take my word for it. And she knows how hard it is to be a women in a world that still values male posturing and bravado over female savvy and brilliance. In fact, that makes Hillary want to kick men in the nuts.
But Edwards does trump Hillary in regards to understanding a women’s beauty needs. Now, I’ve had an expensive haircut or two, but he pays $400 to have a Beverly Hills stylist cut his hair… Also, he likes to visit cushy spas, like the one he went to in New Hampshire. As MSNBC reported, the spa describes itself as a “unique boutique for the mind, body and face.”

I don’t think Hillary has ever even been to a spa. In fact, I dare anyone to try to touch her face.

NightmareOnKStreet on November 10, 2007 at 12:30 PM

She and her husband plant questions and won’t answer questions about smoking plants.

SouthernGent on November 10, 2007 at 2:32 PM

“However, Senator Clinton did not know which questioners she was calling on during the event.”

Other things Hillary claimed she didn’t know anything about …..

1. Disappearance of Whitewater files
2. Files missing from Vince Foster office
3. Bill’s infidelity
4. Monica’s knee pads
5. How $1000 turned into $100,000 in futures trading
6. Firing of Billy Dale & entire WH Travel Office
7. Truthtelling

OK, I added #7.

fogw on November 10, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Hillary is an evil and vile person. The list of actions she’s taken to obstruct justice (Whitewater), deliberately harm innocent people to help her firends (Bill Dale/White House travel office), enable her husband’s sexual predatation (Kathleen Willey and the whole Vast Right Wing Conspiracy), petty personal thefts (keeping personal gifts in violation of federal law) and so on, goes on and on and on.

Yet we are supposed to forget this behavior as “old news?”

Hillary should be in The Big House, not The White House.

georgej on November 10, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Fox has reported within the last 30 minutes that there was another attempt to plant questions at another gathering. The person who was approached told them “no dice’ and Hillary’s operatives approached other people.

This is not surprising to me or, I am sure, others. It is just part of this evil person’s MO!

Wait for others who were approached to come forward. How could any sane person vote for this bitch?

OBX Pete on November 10, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Major Garret just reported that they busted Hillary planting more questions in a town hall. And there are reports that they tried this a while back and no one would bite, so Cankles took NO questions.

csdeven on November 10, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Fox is reporting a second “incident”.

of course, Hillary had nothing to do with it. it was Slick Willy, like with the healthcare issue.

liars.

madmonkphotog on November 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM

From the video “…being deceptive, being illusive…” – no, being slick. Slick won’t work in 2008.

Entelechy on November 10, 2007 at 3:36 PM

The campaign’s admission that it planted the question may be another blow to the New York senator’s image as a trustworthy politician.

Just, heh.

From MM:

Schadenfreude. It’s what’s for breakfast.

Schadenfreude ist auch eine Freude. Freude means joy/delight. Schadenfreude means the joy at the cost of others’ misfortunes. Schadenfreude is also a joy.

p.s. techies at MM – please fix the back button. Such an important site must have one functioning.

Entelechy on November 10, 2007 at 3:48 PM

I love the people that post here. You all are just so damn whitty!!!!!!

Why does every assume Hillary will be the next president? Personally….I think she is another Walter Mondale.

Winebabe on November 10, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Only one planted question?…come on

Regney on November 10, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Now I know why she accused the guy a couple weeks ago of being a “plant” -he didn’t ask the right question.

If her campaign asked me to do that, I’d agree -then ask a completely different question when called on. I’d do that for anyone that would try to be that deceptive.

taznar on November 10, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Now I find myself wishing Hitlary gets beat in the primary. Why wait till the general to be rendered irrelevant.

Mojave Mark on November 10, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Its also standard practice to lie, and to take money from con men.
Just plain ole standard practice for Hillary…

right2bright on November 10, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Q: Today, I was approached by the Clinton campaign to ask a question they provided, instead, I’ve decide to ask her to explain how she plans to pay for the upcoming healthcare plan, that requires everyone to have health insurance before they are eligble for a job?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on November 10, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Tammy Bruce depicts Hillary’s foreign policy as ‘the Lewinsky position’… on our knees for the rest of the world. Kumbaya.

Now Bill Clinton passes in public for Bob Barker. LOL

petefrt on November 11, 2007 at 12:20 AM

That’s almost as bad as lettuce head’s faux FEMA presser, but it is definitely just as stupid!

Doncha just luv these ‘people’s candidates’?

locomotivebreath1901 on November 11, 2007 at 9:57 AM

This wouldn’t be a big deal if her and her hubby weren’t constantly getting stories planted in the news, hiding facts concerning their actions while in office, and running roughshod on America’s media. How many candidates have a War Room dedicated to twisting the facts, several Internet sites dedicated to twisting the facts, and a multi-billionaire supporter who pays to have the facts twisted?

The media knows. The decree is out. You WILL vote for the Clinton anti-American War Machine. Period!

This only proves that not all of Hillaries red flags are Chinese.

DannoJyd on November 11, 2007 at 1:31 PM

Bryan –
I love the choice of plant for the homepage – Mother In-Law’s Tongue.

pullingmyhairout on November 11, 2007 at 3:59 PM

pullingmyhairout-

I think that may a yellow-striped Dracaena, of Dragon Plant.

The Mother-in-Law’s Tongue (or Snake Plant) is more upright.

(Something Hillary is also not know for being.) :P

profitsbeard on November 11, 2007 at 6:58 PM

pullingmyhairout

I think that image may be of a yellow-striped Dragon Plant (Dracaena).

The Mother-In-Law’s Tongue (Snake Plant) tends to be more upright.

(Something Hillary is not known for being.) :P

profitsbeard on November 11, 2007 at 7:01 PM

(Althoug she is two-faced, which may be why this post doubled?)

profitsbeard on November 11, 2007 at 7:02 PM