“Refund, refund!”

posted at 1:25 pm on November 10, 2007 by Bryan

Heh.

The band members left the stage at the conclusion of song number four. Mellencamp grabbed an accoustic guitar and started talking with the crowd. He talked about how “his generation” had failed in doing many of the things they’d set out to do — like legalizing marijuana. Mellencamp then told the crowd the last time he’d smoked was in 1972. Mellencamp next asked the crowd about “The Golden Rule” and after he said, “Do unto others,” the crowd responded with the rest of it. Mellencamp, standing alone on stage with his guitar, then launched into Tough It Out and Be the Best You Can followed by Jesus Can You Give Me a Ride Back Home? and another song about youth and love. The crowd erupted as he started Small Town and sang the lyrics as though Wells Fargo Arena were one of those sing-along piano bars.

It’s at this point Mellencamp gestures and John Edwards walks on stage. After a few cheers boos overtake the hall. “I’ve been in your small towns,” Edwards said as Mellencamp stepped aside to give Edwards a place behind the microphone. “…You didn’t come here to listen to me,” Edwards continues as he winds down with a “thank you,” waves and walks to the darkened edge of the stage.

The crowd is mostly booing at this point. “I came for a concert,” one man behind me yelled. “Refund. Refund,” another chanted a few rows back. One person in the crowd made this observation: “Are they booing Edwards specifically or booing because they don’t like politics?” Mellencamp tells the crowd he’s “had a lot of fun with that guy,” and begins playing his guitar and singing Small Town again. The crowd slowly begins to sing along again. Edwards stood on the darkened edge of the stage until the song was over, then exited. Mellencamp didn’t say anything at the song’s end, and there was a swell of chatter among the audience members.

Yeah, he’s been in our small towns. And his house is larger than several of those small towns put together.

Comments

These dumbtards don’t get it! When people watch a concert, a movie, or football they don’t want to get preached to.

SouthernGent on November 10, 2007 at 1:31 PM

Worship me!

stonemeister on November 10, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Mellencamp’s really a lefty lib trying to be a good old boy. His audience might not be aware of that, but it doesn’t surprise me they’re not impressed by pretty Silky.

JiangxiDad on November 10, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Hurt so good?

Black Adam on November 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM

That was priceless. Ponyboy got heckled. Sure brightened up my day.

PowWow on November 10, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Workin on those campaign night moves

Kini on November 10, 2007 at 1:38 PM

I hope John Cougar doesn’t pull this crap in St. Louis this Thursday. Love his old songs, hope he keeps his yap shut.

redrock on November 10, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Where’s that video with Mellencamp highlighting how truly clueless he is? Might have been Larry King, maybe Charlie Rose?

lowandslow on November 10, 2007 at 1:41 PM

That’ll finish Silky.

see-dubya on November 10, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Little Pinko Houses for you and me.

Buy Danish on November 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Hey did you guys know that John Edwards’ dad was a mill worker?

He worked in a textile mill.

As a mill worker.

John Edwards’ dad.

Rosetta on November 10, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Mellencamp and Maines
Sitt’n in a tree
Spitt’n and cuss’n, sayin’
“look at me!”

silverfox on November 10, 2007 at 1:59 PM

He worked in a textile mill.

As a mill worker.

John Edwards’ dad.

John Kerry served in Vietnam.

JiangxiDad on November 10, 2007 at 2:03 PM

John Kerry served in Vietnam.

John Kerry served in Cambodia. It is seared into his memory.

reppac122 on November 10, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Little Pinko Houses for you and me.

Buy Danish on November 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Funny!

SouthernGent on November 10, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Edwards seems really desperate. I mean how bad does it get when you try, and then can’t even garner a few votes among the pot smokin demographic. Ha Ha The guy made a complete douche of himself.

sonnyspats1 on November 10, 2007 at 2:29 PM

I smell desperation, did he really think he had a chance against the Clinton machine. John Edwards couldn’t lift Hillary’s jock strap.

Buzzy on November 10, 2007 at 2:35 PM

That’s funny! I wonder if there’s any video of it?!

4shoes on November 10, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Oh. I thought his dad was a meal worker. Grinding up corn meal in a mill, or something.

NellE on November 10, 2007 at 3:12 PM

is this man person so demented that he believes anyone wants to listen to him?

same goes for the Breck Girl.

madmonkphotog on November 10, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Pandemonium at the DU.

Entelechy on November 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Entelechy on November 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM

HAHAH…best one:

I think the audience’s reaction was rude, mean and selfish, and Edwards was gracious and showed class.

I understand the “we’re here for music/not politcs” feeling, but wouldn’t it have been kinder to just let the guy speak for 45 seconds or whatever than behave so disrespectfully?

I don’t particularly like John Edwards, but I think every human being deserves respect. We’re all in this life together, with the exceptions of Bush and Cheney.

I really hope this is sarc. Either way it’s too good.

sunny on November 10, 2007 at 3:45 PM

sunny, thanks for skimming – I can’t stand being for more than a few seconds. Had found the link by looking for something else. Have to repost, for irony, since I don’t believe it was sarcasm:

We’re all in this life together, with the exceptions of Bush and Cheney.

Entelechy on November 10, 2007 at 4:03 PM

s/b “being there”, at the dummyworld.

Entelechy on November 10, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Maybe these idiots will get it through their thickheads that if we’re paying any money, much less in the $75-300 range we want to hear music, not hear them pontificate and unless it’s some fundraiser for some politician, people don’t want one showing up on stage. Don Henley was shocked when he got boo’d at the Eagles concert in Honolulu in 2005.

Catie96706 on November 10, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Hey did you guys know that John Edwards’ dad was a mill worker?

He worked in a textile mill.

As a mill worker.

John Edwards’ dad.

Rosetta on November 10, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Not sure what the hell that has to do with anything. The USA is one of the few places in the world where you are not judged by what your parents were or were not. Is his mill working father running for president?

Wade on November 10, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Used to be that Kerry-Edwards was the draw, and Johnny Cougar, Jon Bon Jovi, Whoopi et al would team up to raise the bucks.

When your message is that important, it doesn’t matter if your song rhymes:

“Texas Bandito, how much money did you put in your pocket today?” John Mellencamp crooned in a country ballad. “You better split from that Texas Bandito, he’s made this world unsafe today. Our thoughts are not free from the Texas Bandito, he’s just another cheap thug that sacrifices our young.”

Johnny Cougar can ____ (verb) my _____ (part of the body).

Hey, I just remembered… I stuck Johnny in my anti-Kerry song. That’ll learn ‘im.

saint kansas on November 10, 2007 at 4:49 PM

He worked in a textile mill.

As a mill worker.

John Edwards’ dad.

John Kerry served in Vietnam

Hillary’s been in the kitchen.

BacaDog on November 10, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Hillary’s been in the kitchen.

Bill’s been in the dog house

Wade on November 10, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Wade on November 10, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Chill Wade. Was a joke. Edwards likes to say it, again and again, to show he’s a man of the people. Think his Dad was in management, but as you say, doesn’t really matter. Cheers.

JiangxiDad on November 10, 2007 at 5:54 PM

lowandslow on November 10, 2007 at 1:41 PM

I don’t know where the video is , but he did a good job of being an asswipe on Stephen Colberts show.

commonsensehoosier on November 10, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Hillary’s been in the kitchen.

Bill’s been in the dog house

Wade on November 10, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Chelsea’s been strumming on the old banjo

CrimsonFisted on November 10, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Hmmm… interesting…

He defacto turned this concert into a political rally…

So is it now an in kind Campaign Contribution?

Romeo13 on November 10, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Hillary can use a mop.

I’m Ms World.

Republicans are not Nazis.

Bush and Cheney are part of humanity – see Entelechy on November 10, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Bush will receive Nobel for Peace in 2008, as a parting gift from the world.

Entelechy on November 10, 2007 at 7:51 PM

redrock on November 10, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Don’t count on it.

Rick on November 10, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Didn’t Pink Floyd do this at a concert as well,I think!

canopfor on November 10, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Next time Edwards can bring his violin and play along.

Or maybe Mellencamp can give part of Edwards’ next speech.

Mojave Mark on November 10, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Hey did you guys know that John Edwards’ dad was a mill worker?

He worked in a textile mill.

As a mill worker.

John Edwards’ dad.

Rosetta on November 10, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Heh. As a production manager for the man; not as a “mill worker”. But I like the cut of your jib.

Wade seems to have missed your humor, sadly.

As for MellonHead, he and Edwards are perfect for each other. His douchebag fans should have been booing his no-talent, leftist a$$, but then…that would require some sense.

Jaibones on November 10, 2007 at 10:30 PM

An obvious publicity stunt to launch the new John/John Silken hair care products…
“You know, I just remembered, the meel workers used to call me John Cougar Edwards”

christophercube on November 10, 2007 at 10:36 PM

A little ditty about Pony and Cougar;
two liberal dolts, doing the best they can…

Rick on November 11, 2007 at 1:11 AM

He worked in a textile mill.

As a mill worker.

John Edwards’ dad.

John Kerry served in Vietnam

As though any of that is going to mater when NOBEL PRIZE WINNER Al Gore steps into the race.

He won the Nobel Prize for single-handedly saving the world, ending the wars that would have come about from Global Warming and now won’t, and has been awarded the NOBEL PEACE PRIZE for his amazing and especially PEACEFUL actions.

Sorry, that’s a trump card over all the rest of this… well, for Democrats it is anyhow.

gekkobear on November 11, 2007 at 6:06 AM

Wade seems to have missed your humor, sadly.

Did I mention that I served in Vietnam? While I was serving ion Vietnam?

In Vietnam, that is.

Pablo on November 11, 2007 at 6:54 AM

Looks like there’s a serious lack of humor detection on the weekend.

James on November 11, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Damned … I thought you had to go to DU for unintentional humor by the humorless.

Kristopher on November 11, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Edwards disastrous appearance at a Mellancamp concert reminds me of when John Kerry was in Madison, Wisconsin with Bruce Springsteen and actually thought that the big crowd was there for him. Nobody in the huge throng wanted to listen to Kerry talk about himself any more than anyone at the Mellancamp concert wanted to listen to John Edwards talk about his “personal story”. Although Chris Matthews talks nonstop about how poor Edwards was as a youngster, that story is grossly exaggerated. Edwards dad received a promotion from mill worker to middle management and that is why Edwards moved from S. Carolina to N. Carolina. Edwards is so self absorbed that he probably really thinks he is the second coming of Robert F. Kennedy.

Larraby on November 12, 2007 at 10:26 AM

That fake Woody Guthrie car commercial of his is a tongue depressor.

mymanpotsandpans on November 12, 2007 at 12:17 PM