Quote of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on November 8, 2007 by Bryan

“Carbon-free fairies do not magically drop windmills onto moutaintops,” said Heritage’s Spencer in an Oct. 29, 2007, commentary. “For example, 2 million tons of concrete, about double what a nuclear plant requires, must be produced and delivered to anchor enough windmills to match one nuclear plant’s energy production. Just producing this concrete emits the CO2 equivalent of flying a Boeing 747 from New York to London 450 times.

Comments

Thats a lot of CO2!

Jay on November 8, 2007 at 10:33 PM

If we put windmills around Capitol Hill, the hot air would power this country for centuries!

Nethicus on November 8, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Oh, how they hate facts!

Bob's Kid on November 8, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Soooo….

they need Carbon offsets for windmills?

Romeo13 on November 8, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Heh.

Jaibones on November 8, 2007 at 10:40 PM

Oh, how they hate facts!

Bob’s Kid on November 8, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Oh how they hate arithmetic.

rockhauler on November 8, 2007 at 10:48 PM

Lets not confuse anyone with details.

csdeven on November 8, 2007 at 10:49 PM

“Carbon-free fairies do not magically drop windmills onto moutaintops,”

I don’t know… while the Goreacle is out saving the planet, he could maybe crap a few windmills onto mountaintops while he flies over them in his private jet. He’s founded a new religion, after all. Maybe it’s about time for him to produce a miracle.

Laura on November 8, 2007 at 10:49 PM

If we can rewire Liberal minds from defeatizm
and negativity,I’m sure we can channel all that energy
towards some kind of free energy,or better yet they
can be used as the weight to hold down the windmills.Haha.

canopfor on November 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM

I remember the ‘No Nukes’ movement. A bunch of moonbat hippies with nothing left to protest after Vietnam, jumping at the chance to lay naked in the road blocking the gates of nuclear facilities. Once a moonbat, always a moonbat.

infidel4life on November 8, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Yes, listen to the rock stars and movie actors,
they know more than you and they are better than you.

Don’t listen to the scientists, especially to the ones that don’t have a need to secure government funding or their field of study is climatology, listen to the former politician acting like Mr. Knowitall

Never mind rational arguments and facts mean anything.

PANDEMONIUM RULES BABY
wheres my bong man!

Kini on November 8, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Don’t confuse me with the facts, my mind (as least what’s left of it after all the drugs and alcohol I’ve used)is made up!

TruthToBeTold on November 8, 2007 at 11:57 PM

I remember “NO KOOKS NUKES”.
Shortly after that, it was the last Jackson Brown concert lecture I evah went to.

Jane Fonda did only one good movie in which she was lousy space hoe.
Bimborella

Kini on November 8, 2007 at 11:59 PM

How about a tradeoff then? Either add the money in the recent bill to secure our borders with walls or let us drill for oil in the ANWR.

RMCS_USN on November 9, 2007 at 12:15 AM

But once the wind turbines are in place, they don’t produce radioactive waste. And the “fuel” is free.

Plus, if Algore were grounded for a year, the equivalent of those 450 Boeing 747 round-trips to London would be taken care of.

Fusion is the goal.

Plus, solar sheets are getting to be cost-competitive with existing energy plants, and they also gets their fuel free from that big nuclear fusion furnace in the sky.

Technological advances (bacteria producing ethanol directly from waste wood, etc., etc.) will solve the energy problem before the half century is reached.

But people love to be Drama Queens.

“The polar bears are drowning! Drowning!!!!”

profitsbeard on November 9, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Inconvenient truths, baby.

BadgerHawk on November 9, 2007 at 12:33 AM

It doesn’t matter. It’s all about feeling better.

Ortzinator on November 9, 2007 at 12:47 AM

Nethicus on November 8, 2007 at 10:34 PM

That would truly be the first efficient perpetual motion machine! I can’t say practical, however, because the undesirable emissions (congressional legislation) from the input energy would greatly outweigh the potential output benefits.

mojojojo on November 9, 2007 at 12:48 AM

No free lunch! Never was, never will be.

TBinSTL on November 9, 2007 at 12:54 AM

infidel4life on November 8, 2007 at 10:53 PM

The Austrian moonbats, a few years ago, were protesting a Cseck nuclear powerplant close from their border (which was also to supply them with energy). When asked what kind of energy they like or use they replied “we’re fine with what comes out of the outlets in our walls”.

Entelechy on November 9, 2007 at 1:02 AM

For energy, think maggot larvae.

MB4 on November 9, 2007 at 1:10 AM

But they’ll feel so much better for having made those pretty windmills! Too bad you can’t see them from Hyannisport.

stonemeister on November 9, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Hey. Hey. Hey.

Don’t you dare point out what has to happen to produce electricity or the “clean” things that produce “green” electricity!

Why, hydrogen makes itself I tell ya! So does electricity for electric vehicles! Don’t think, just go with it.

Seixon on November 9, 2007 at 3:22 AM

For energy, think maggot larvae.

MB4 on November 9, 2007 at 1:10 AM

I love how your mind works.

leanright on November 9, 2007 at 6:00 AM

Jane Fonda did only one good movie in which she was lousy space hoe.
Bimborella

Kini on November 8, 2007 at 11:59 PM

The opening credits were the best parts of the movie.

Texas Nick 77 on November 9, 2007 at 6:03 AM

RMCS_USN on November 9, 2007 at 12:15 AM

A better use of all that concrete would be to build The Wall.

Maybe they could combine the two? The Wall as foundation for all the generators?

Texas Nick 77 on November 9, 2007 at 6:05 AM

There were some great performances on that triple lp “No Nukes” concert set from 1979 by some of my then-favorite artists. (And as far as I know, it’s never been released on CD, more’s the pity.) Too bad crap like this keeps me from taking so many of them seriously anymore. They’re entitled to their opinions, of course, but the concrete-needed-for-windmills argument, um, cements it for me. They’re hysterics, happy to have a reason to dust off another past path to glory. I bet most of their fans are more like Marhsall on “How I Met Your Mother” – aspiring environmental saviors forced to work in “evil” corporations to pay the bills, and of course, afford new Bonnie Raitt CDs.

Captain Scarlet on November 9, 2007 at 6:05 AM

infidel4life on November 8, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Not true, infidel4life. I was one of those moonbats back in the early 80s, and today I’m a hardcore conservative who worships Ronald Reagan – a man I once despised. Anyone with a capacity for seeing truth and the capacity to learn can shake off those wacky lefty misconceptions and grow up. Then again, if you’re a 40 something out on the street in pink pulling sophomoric stunts then you’re probably beyond help. Anyway, be happy. Someday some (dare I hope that “most”) of these very moonbats will wake up to reality and join our side.

mugged on November 9, 2007 at 6:57 AM

I tune into MSNBC just to see what’s up, now and them. This week they had on a specialist giving technical tips on how to use a clothes line.

“One T-shirt will create over 10pounds of CO2 content in its lifetime in order to keep it clean”.

No wonder moonbats all smell. Their saving the planet with their stink.

Next week on MSNBC, Chris Matthews special on beating clothes clean on a rock, down by the river.

Hening on November 9, 2007 at 8:07 AM

When are these old hippies just going to die off and let us have our country back?

ctmom on November 9, 2007 at 8:08 AM

mugged;I too was one of those Moonbats until Jimmah Carter.That did it for me.Never looked back.It would be nice to see more come over to the “DARK”side.I’m not going to hold my breath.ctmom The Answer is;when they run out of Patchouli oil….

Regney on November 9, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Entelechy on November 9, 2007 at 1:02 AM

Bahahahahahahahah! First good laugh today! Thanks. If that doesn’t sum up the idiocy of these folks, I don’t know what will.

Redhead Infidel on November 9, 2007 at 8:33 AM

The same moonbats who say we need cleaner, cheaper sources of energy are always the ones to protest nuclear power plants….which are the cleanest, cheapest source of energy.

Logic is not their strong suit.

otcconan on November 9, 2007 at 8:34 AM

Redhead, you’re welcome :)

Regney on November 9, 2007 at 8:28 AM

It takes being young, idealistic and naive (nicely put) to be a leftie – good of you to have ‘grown up’, respectfully,

Entelechy on November 9, 2007 at 11:22 AM

mugged and Regney: Good for you both!

There is a saying which I suppose can apply: “If you’re not liberal at 20 you don’t have a heart, if you’re not conservative at 40 you don’t have a brain.”

infidel4life on November 9, 2007 at 11:34 AM

infidel, I’d replace 20 with young, and 40 with older, so as not to limit the opportunities. Otherwise it’s a very true and much used saying.

Entelechy on November 9, 2007 at 2:35 PM