Quote of the day

posted at 11:05 pm on November 7, 2007 by Bryan

“Thank you, thank you,” the people were saying. One man said, “Thank you for peace.” Another man, a Muslim, said “All the people, all the people in Iraq, Muslim and Christian, is brother.” The men and women were holding bells, and for the first time in memory freedom rang over the ravaged land between two rivers.

Comments

Good, better BEST.

Bob's Kid on November 7, 2007 at 11:08 PM

Just WOW.
and …THANK GOD!

shooter on November 7, 2007 at 11:09 PM

As “shooter” said…
All I can say is “WOW”!

This is the way it should be.

SouthernPride on November 7, 2007 at 11:11 PM

I don’t know if the guy on the far right is praying or holding up his hand to support the man above him, but either way it’s sweet.

Bob's Kid on November 7, 2007 at 11:15 PM

What do you know. We are the good guys.

csdeven on November 7, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Excellent,It is said,let it be written.

And I’m glad the United States of America,is the
leader of the Free World,and finally came to the
conclusion that the UN is nothing more than political
lip service.

canopfor on November 7, 2007 at 11:25 PM

I don’t want to jinx it, but WE’RE WINNING!

Kini on November 7, 2007 at 11:29 PM

Bob’s Kid on November 7, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Yes and amen. What an inspiring story this is.

I can’t help but be reminded of the flag raising on Iwo Jima by that picture.

infidel4life on November 7, 2007 at 11:33 PM

There will be an AP story tomorrow with some bad news angle from Iraq.

It is a great picture, and frankly made me tear up. Thank you to all of our militray personnel!

SouthernGent on November 7, 2007 at 11:35 PM

the pictures from this are pretty powerful, hopefully the media will publish them and this story.

jp on November 7, 2007 at 11:40 PM

Hitchens is gonna have a cow, and then bash Hinduism.

silverfox on November 7, 2007 at 11:40 PM

Defector01 on November 7, 2007 at 11:41 PM

“All the people … in Iraq, muslim and Christian, is brother.”

If there’s any justice in the world, THIS will become as common and well known a saying as “Can’t we all just get along?” and “Give me liberty or give me death.”

Tony737 on November 7, 2007 at 11:43 PM

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity – Ann Coulter

We’re getting there…

T J Green on November 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM

… and Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid and Hillary Clinton spat on the ground and cursed . . .

Labamigo on November 7, 2007 at 11:47 PM

T J Green on November 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM

on that note, does anyone know how many if any Christians were in Korea before the Korean war? Now its about half the country.

back then, the argument against the Korean war was Shintoism wasn’t compatible with Democracy. My guess is freedom lead them away from Shintoism gradually and towards christianity.

jp on November 7, 2007 at 11:49 PM

By the way CTV news,a couple days ago had a story,
video of it,about are Canadians kicking the Talibans
ass in the latest battle,a pure positive story,they
interviewed an Afghanistan man,and he said he hoped
the Canadians were going to stay for a very long time,
so,touch wood,it looks like the tide is turning.

canopfor on November 7, 2007 at 11:50 PM

The libs must be wetting their pants and panties.

Entelechy on November 7, 2007 at 11:53 PM

AP is on vacation, so allow me to be the resident eeyore:
This photograph ain’t goin’ mainstream.
Michael Yon has put his work out for public use before and it was buried.
This will be too.

billy on November 7, 2007 at 11:58 PM

Yeah, the photo will be buried Deep, but so what? The truth it represents is real, and becoming more obvious ( and harder to hide ) each day

I said on this site four months ago that the Surge would work and there would be a military and conuter-insurgency victory in Iraq.

Sometimes it’s not that hard to see what’s likely to happen. And always remember that the power of the Clueless Media to influence in foreign nations is Nerly Nil, and shrinking……..

Janos Hunyadi on November 8, 2007 at 12:06 AM

un, Nearly Nil

Janos Hunyadi on November 8, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Michael Yon is making this photograph available to media outlets, such as print publications and cable and television news broadcasts, at no cost for a limited period of time

So what do you want to bet that we don’t see this image on media outlets, such as print publications and cable and television news broadcasts, at no cost for a limited period of time
Well?

billy on November 8, 2007 at 12:07 AM

I love that picture, and the quote is priceless. I read news from Iraq every day and I had no idea something like this could happen. Christians feeling secure enough to put a cross on a church? Awesome.

Think what those polls would look like if the average American heard these news stories…

BadgerHawk on November 8, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Janos, Jó estét!

Where have you been? I’ve missed you. Welcome back!

Entelechy on November 8, 2007 at 12:11 AM

That’s right Billy, they won’t, it’s called lying by ommission.

CanOp, it’s nice to hear that a major media source is reporting the taliban’s butt whoopin’. Baby steps, but eventually people will know we’re winning, they can’t ignore it forever, not with all the bloggers out there.

Tony737 on November 8, 2007 at 12:12 AM

Powerful, moving stuff. The Iwo Jima analogy is apt.

Michael Yon must be getting a lot of traffic because his server keeps timing out.

Buy Danish on November 8, 2007 at 12:17 AM

…and the mainstream media slept.

liquidflorian on November 8, 2007 at 12:21 AM

The MSM will not bring this photo to the public. It must go viral, like the “halp me jon cary…” photo. So send it on.

billy on November 8, 2007 at 12:29 AM

We win.

…until the Muslims start reading their Korans again.

Mojave Mark on November 8, 2007 at 12:53 AM

I said this over at LGF too,
Baghdad is freer than Riyadh!

redshirt on November 8, 2007 at 12:53 AM

and good evening to you, Roman-nemet

What the libs never understood was that Iraq is “pushed together” by its neighbors: Iraqi Kurds prefer autonomy in Iraq to being liquidated by the Turks; Iraqi Shi’ites prefer their plurality in Iraq to joining the tiny Arab minority in Shi’ite Iran; the Sunnis prefer being in a precarious postion in Iraq to being part of some Greater Syria ( and being killed by that murderous regime )

but then, libs never really gave a shi’ite about Iraq, but only cared about undercutting BushHitlerCheneyHalliburton

Janos Hunyadi on November 8, 2007 at 2:08 AM

This is one of the rare occasions that I actually feel sorry for the libs, because they don’t get to enjoy this. On the other hand, they’d be able to enjoy it if they were worth a crap as Americans and human beings, so maybe it’s justice after all.

ReubenJCogburn on November 8, 2007 at 2:12 AM

This man has a good heart, too bad that Allah himself would consider him to be an apostate.

3:73 Don’t believe anyone who is not a Muslim.
3:48 Don’t be friends with non-Muslims. They all hate you and want to ruin you.
4:63 Oppose those who refuse to follow Muhammad.
5:51 Don’t take Jews or Christians for friends. If you do, then Allah will consider you to be one of them.
5:51 Jews and Christians are losers.
5:59 Jews and Christians are evil people.
9:5 Slay the disbelievers wherever you find them.

MB4 on November 8, 2007 at 3:03 AM

We win.

…until the Muslims start reading their Korans again.

Mojave Mark on November 8, 2007 at 12:53 AM

BINGO!!!

MB4 on November 8, 2007 at 3:09 AM

I can’t help but be reminded of the flag raising on Iwo Jima by that picture.

infidel4life on November 7, 2007 at 11:33 PM

I had the same thought myself. The Operation Iraqi Freedom’s “Iwo Jima” moment.

Texas Nick 77 on November 8, 2007 at 5:59 AM

BadgerHawk on November 8, 2007 at 12:08 AM

When I was there, we were advised to keep out of sight and safely behind the blast walls, lest some sniper get a shot at us. A couple of our perimeter guards did get a round in their rear ends (they were the butt of several jokes as a result). Point is, the surge has apparently worked, for those guys to get on top of a building and hoist a cross. No way would anyone I know have done that back in the spring of this year.

Texas Nick 77 on November 8, 2007 at 6:19 AM

More progress.

Zorro on November 8, 2007 at 6:44 AM

That is an awesome picture and story.

Jodella on November 8, 2007 at 7:09 AM

The libs must be wetting their pants and panties.

Entelechy on November 7, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Panties alone would have sufficed, dear.

PatrickS on November 8, 2007 at 7:43 AM

Placing that cross up in front of the world is like holding the cross up to those Vampire liberals.
They will throw something over their eyes, scream and deny its existence.
The must suck the blood of hope and wealth from our lives…

right2bright on November 8, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Never underestimate the capacity of Iraqis to disappoint and foul up a good thing.

saiga on November 8, 2007 at 10:30 AM

right2bright on November 8, 2007 at 9:41 AM

Perfect pictorial analogy.

infidel4life on November 8, 2007 at 10:43 AM

BadgerHawk

And right in the middle of BAGHDAD! Oh, my!

I saw that this morning and the tears just spilled down my face for joy.

Mommynator on November 8, 2007 at 12:20 PM