Video: NBC’s green idiocy on Sunday Night Football

posted at 7:29 am on November 5, 2007 by Bryan

As a pointless, self-serving enviro gimmick, NBC doused the studio lights during last night’s Cowboys/Eagles rout. Broadcasting in the dark did serve at least one useful purpose — we literally saw less of Keith Olbermann. But other than that, it was idiotic.

At halftime, Bob Costas tossed to Matt Lauer, who was standing in a bleak vista in front of what appeared to be a pack of sled dogs somewhere in the Arctic Circle. The crew bathed Lauer’s set with what looks like several hundred square yards of dazzling light. Judging by the scale of the Huskies compared to Lauer, the light zone must go 50 or 60 yards straight back and probably at least a similar distance across. So that lit space alone probably offset the studio lights that some pinhead decided to turn off in the studio as a show of green power, dude. Then there were the heaters to warm up the on-camera divas, the power to run the cameras and comm gear, and floating soot in the air by burning the candles.

Then there’s all the jet fuel that got burned up flying NBC’s vapid anchors, Lauer, Al Roker and Ann Curry plus crews and gear to remote locations. Yeah, turning those studio lights off really saved one heck of a lot of energy, NBC.

Oh, and pay no attention to the gigantic video screen right over Bob Costas’ shoulder. Or the other video screens all over the set.

On the other hand, Ann Curry has never looked less frigid.

ann-curry-frigid.jpg

NBC is promising threatening 150 hours of green programming, Al Gore is going to be on 30 Rock, it’s going to be a green week at NBC.

So I’ll be watching anything but NBC. Propaganda is for losers.

Update: A Green is Universal Truther movement? It is odd that you can’t see Lauer’s breath in any of the clips. I just went back and watched the full resolution clip that I still have on my hard drive. No visible breath. Lauer claims that he’s out in 0 degree weather. Now, I happen to have some personal experience with shooting video in the Arctic. I shot video outdoors on Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska in subzero temps several years ago. Foggy breath everywhere. Also, the shortness of breath that the cold causes makes everyone sound breathless. Lauer sounds downright cozy.

I don’t think that NBC has Lauer on some secret moonscape set in Hollywood, but it is odd.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Those candles set a mood…of sissiness.

Black Adam on November 5, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Does it take energy to make candles?

Wade on November 5, 2007 at 2:33 PM

Nothing
But
Carbon Crap

mwsivt on November 5, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Wade on November 5, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Turrrrn out the lights

The party is overrrrr..

They say that all good things must ennndddd..

Good Night Chris

Good Night Bob

Good Night Matt

(click)

((apologies to Dandy Don and what used to be something called a football game))

normsrevenge on November 5, 2007 at 2:37 PM

So I’ll be watching anything but NBC.

There’s always Journeyman. Good show.

NBC’s Sunday night prefootball game show is so boring that maybe it needed some sprucing up. The anchor of the program is Bob Costas, one of these sports knowitall guys who never shuts up and has thousands of cliches for every minute. He keeps telling football fans useless information such as what television sitcoms the players like. His sidekick, Keith Olbermann, washed out at ESPN and has wandered around ever since. The supposed football analyst, Chris Collinsworth, played 25 years ago for the Bengals and nver tires of talking about himself. (etc)…
Larraby on November 5, 2007 at 9:31 AM

You said almost everything I could have said about this abysmal product. Even before Olbergoon was added, it’s just a boring broadcast. The set sounds dead quiet, the hosts speak in such hushed tones, it’s like they don’t want to wake the audience. No excitement, no raucous JB & Terry & Howie moments, or even JB & his new crew at CBS. The show bites.

Captain Scarlet on November 5, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Gawd. I just watched the clip. Meredith will be back in NY interview some of the “best minds on the subject including former Vice President Al Gore”???

“Including?” How about getting some of the best minds who have hipped themselves to the fact that we River Citizeans are being sold the biggest bill of goods by the biggest huckster since Professor Harold Hill first came to town warning us about the dangers of a pool parlor? Mister “The Debate is Over” one of the best minds on the subject? GMAFB.

Captain Scarlet on November 5, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Captain Scarlet on November 5, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Putting O’Reilly on with Olbermann before the kickoff might be an interesting touch.

Rick on November 5, 2007 at 3:26 PM

That lack of breath is odd, I thought maybe they have some NFL sideline style heaters off on the side (eco-friendly heaters, I’m sure), but wouldn’t there be some distortion visible from the heat? Or does that not show up on camera?

I actually caught the opening of Today this morn’ and I didn’t notice. Although Roker looked like he was in front of a wather map…even Veira commented that it didn’t look real.

Funny, Costas made a comment about it not looking real as well.

If you go to an NBC site, Lauer tries to explain it by saying it’s too windy so his breath is blown away, and it’s too dry so it doesn’t show up.

It’s at about the 1:00 mark, they were taking questions from school kids and some kid from Alaska asked the breath question…

Just click on Matt Lauer answers viewers questions.

Green is universally stupid

reaganaut on November 5, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Where’s Heidi when you need her?

mymanpotsandpans on November 5, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Someone clue NBC in on the fact that it’s spring for the southern hemisphere right now.

BTW, how do you like the make shift igloo.

- The Cat

P.S. They prolly think that Canadians live in igloos and it snows in Toronto year round.

MirCat on November 5, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Ridiculous. If they want to conserve as much energy as possible, then why not just go off the air completely.

Lone Star on November 5, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Broadcasting in the dark (nanny, nanny, nanny) did serve at least one useful purpose — we literally saw less of Keith Olbermannkind.

Entelechy on November 5, 2007 at 5:12 PM

Y’all don’t get it – NBC was playing kindergarten.

Entelechy on November 5, 2007 at 5:14 PM

No visible breath. Lauer claims that he’s out in 0 degree weather.

Maybe he meant zero Celsius. Still you should see his breath, but with all the heaters around, who knows.

Then again, they never did say where he was in the Arctic Circle. Why not say? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Ordinary1 on November 5, 2007 at 5:36 PM

mymanpotsandpans,

LOL.

At least we have Sirius radio so we can listen to the Eagles’ announcers…I highly recommend muting the tv and listening to sat radio!

MamaAJ on November 5, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Those candles set a mood…of sissiness.

Black Adam on November 5, 2007 at 1:02 PM

You said “sissiness”. Heh.

Jaibones on November 5, 2007 at 5:42 PM

Yeah, OK. Still, at zero F there should be some breath visible. If it’s not cold enough, just say so. It actually helps your warming claim.

I was also amazed that Ann Curry was so amazed that dry snow squeaks. WOW! Hard hitting stuff :-)

Ordinary1 on November 5, 2007 at 5:43 PM

I say follow the money, I have to wonder what General Electric has at stake in this? Nothing wrong with them making lots of money and hiring people. They are not just telling us how they are going to profit.

StuLongIsland on November 5, 2007 at 6:15 PM

This is fake. If the snow is dry, it doesn’t pack well. If the wind is blowing, you would see snow blowing around. Look at the strings hanging from his coat. Do they look like they are blowing in the wind.

Also, the way he is standing next to the Igloo and Costas’ comment that he is crawling back into the Igloo, there is no way this Nancy Boy (apologies to Nancy’s everywhere), is staying outside in Zero Degree weather.

PappaMac on November 5, 2007 at 6:28 PM

Rick on November 5, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Reminds me of the old quip about going to a fight and a hockey game broke out.

Where’s Heidi when you need her?

mymanpotsandpans on November 5, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Funny!

Captain Scarlet on November 5, 2007 at 6:43 PM

PLEASE, just fire Olbermann before turning off all the lights at NBC.

oakpack on November 5, 2007 at 6:44 PM

how many tons of carbon emissions did the plane put out to get Lauer to the north, not to mention the carbon emissions they created in faking making this fariy tale story??

madmonkphotog on November 5, 2007 at 7:56 PM

hey look everyone, it looks like they’re watching nbc in north korea

mfnorman on November 5, 2007 at 8:25 PM

To me, the sorriest part of the whole thing was when Bob Costas referred to the Goracle as a “leading intellectual” or something along those lines. I just about coughed up my pancreas, I was laughing so hard.

Centerfire on November 5, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Hey Bryan, why wasn’t this filed under Monday stupid?

Can you imagine the cost of getting these carbon-heads up to the fricken’ ARTIC CIRCLE for cryin’ out loud!

Mojave Mark on November 5, 2007 at 9:13 PM

I must ask what was the carbon footprint left by flying this clown to the Arctic?

Gatordoug on November 5, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Centerfire on November 5, 2007 at 8:31 PM

Well, Costas also compared gun owners to drug dealers once so, go figure!

Gatordoug on November 5, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Nothing But SanCtimony

ZK on November 5, 2007 at 10:12 PM

NBPC!
Nothing but Political Correctness!

Gatordoug on November 5, 2007 at 10:13 PM

OH MY GOD!!! Now this crap is on Heroes!!

Tonight I just saw on heroes where the cast had a tree planting party to combat the biggest threat to mankind, CO2. Not kidding.

I wonder if they noticed that CO2 levels TRAIL warming? In other words, the world getting warmer CAUSES a rise in CO2 (or at least probably does not cause warming). Or that increased CO2 increases crop production…a good thing!

Its official…garbage science has now been so completely swallowed by the mainstream that its reaching near criminal levels of naivete and outright stupidity.

A voice of reason on November 5, 2007 at 10:27 PM

Haha. Well, I guess Massachusetts is ahead of the curve again on the top liberal issues, because the state is far more forested than it was 150 years ago, as farmers moved west for better farmland. I’m sure it’s the same for all of New England, and yet we are still in mortal peril.

Never actually seen Heroes, but I heard the blonde girl was off trying to save dolphins in Japan. Hollywood is so noble.

reaganaut on November 5, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Aren’t these Global Climate Change zealots some of the same people who scared the country into virtually abandoning nuclear power? Imagine if we had enough nuclear power, clean and efficient power, to provide our homes with cheap electricity and diminish the need for oil and gas heating.

reaganaut on November 5, 2007 at 10:46 PM

CO2 is not a G’damned F’n POLLUTANT for criminy’s sake. I have had it with this green BS.

Everyone at NBC Universal who believes this tripe please do us all a favor and cut down on your CO2 emissions by not breathing anymore.

US Corporations and Businesses that are smart should wake up and reject all this carbon offset crap.

IT IS A TAX. THE MONEY WILL PROBABLY END UP IN 3RD WORLD CRACKPOT DICTATORSHIPS FUNDING THE PEOPLE WHO HATE AMERICA.

James on November 5, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Global Climate Change…

Isn’t that REDUNDANT.

These people must really think we are idiots of the highest order. Yet they’ll be the first one to call me a sheeple for believing in Islamo-fascism as a threat, despite inctrovertible proof, such as the hole in the NY Skyline.

These people are all wound up over “A PLANETARY EMERGENCY” yet they must be unaware that Modern Man has adapted to GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE for the last 70,000 years quite handsomely.

A true “PLANETARY EMERGENCY” is a comet or asteroid that is found to be on a collision course with the planet. Imagine all the science and engineering that could be applied to solving that problem but is instead tied up in this Green mess.

A true “PLANETARY EMERGENCY” is the eruption of Yellowstone. That’ll put a real cramp on Al Gore’s lifestyle methinks.

Al Gore and these scientists should be working on getting humans off this rock and into the stars, and devising methods and technologies to shield the earth from planet killers.

James on November 5, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Also, I think saving the dolphins is a far more noble cause then enviro-fascism. I have a soft spot in my heart for Dolphins.

James on November 5, 2007 at 11:02 PM

I haven’t and probably wont read any of the comment posts by others, so if anyone mentioned this…sorry. In your post Brian, didn’t you mention that they had heaters to stay warm by. Maybe that is why Laur’s breath ain’t frosty and such.
Les back in Texas

LurP on November 6, 2007 at 12:06 AM

I haven’t watched Nothing But Crap in a very long time. I only watch the Sunday Night Football game because I don’t pay for cable and/or Satellite Radio.

I think everyone should just pay extra special attention to the manufacturer of their light bulbs and small electrical appliances and make sure that you don’t buy any GE made products. If enough people do that, GE may be able to turn off the lights and machines in their factories and thus “save the planet” from GW (Bush), since I’m sure it’s all his fault as far as these “dim bulbs” are concerned.

I agree that the whole GW thing is just a scam to scare people who can’t think for themselves into demanding that the “government” DO SOMETHING. Since the “problem” is global, the solution must be global as well. That means that someone who wants to rule the whole world has to be pushing this agenda so that s/he can become the “supreme ruler” to prevent the destruction of “Mother Earth”. Who has done more to further this agenda than the man who “invented” the internet before he lost the election in 2000. When he becomes the “supreme ruler” by dint of his “superior intellect”, it will prove that everyone who didn’t vote for him was even dumber than AlGore is.

I’m sure GE wants to sell more CFRs for 20 to 40 times more than the price of an incandescent light bulb. Are they really that much more expensive to make or is this just another scam like the Freon deal back the early 90′s. A lot of people made a lot of money of that and what was the final result. Last I heard the ozone hole is still there and still flucuating as it always has, but now we are using a LESS EFFECIENT COOLANT in our air conditioners and as a result using MORE ENERGY to get the SAME AMOUNT OF COOLNESS.

If you believe in an All-powerful God, why would you worry about climate change. Are you afraid that He can’t keep it all under control? Do you think that mere humans can “fix” it if God can’t keep it under control. If you’re an atheist, then I guess you should worry since you only have this life and then you’re gone.

TruthToBeTold on November 6, 2007 at 2:17 AM

How many dim bulbs does it take to change a network?

saved on November 6, 2007 at 6:49 AM

It’s stupitity like that, why I DO NOT watch NBC or MSNBC. As a matter of fact, I blacked-out those stations on cable and the remote.

oldelpasoan on November 6, 2007 at 9:08 AM

landlines on November 5, 2007 at 11:38 AM wrote:

Green is the new Red.

Thanks landlines, went to my color pallet and found, to make green, you mix yellow (bellies) and blue (states).

Also, as I watched the video it appeared that Mr. Louder (oops Lauer) is anxious to get back inside the igloo because there appears to be a big party going on in there.

Also, I would bet that NBC does not realize, or if they do are being blatant about racial blunders they have committed.

How anti feminist can NBC and Mr Louder (oops)get? They left poor Ann Curry out in cold without any Mapquest or TomTom instruction on where to find Mr. Louder (oops did it again) and the action.

Finally, NBC was obviously oblivious to the fact that they were practicing sexual harassment, segregation, and stereotyping at its worst.

The white guy gets to party in the North, the poor Asian-African-American girl is sent to the deep South to find out if there is any life that far South, and Al Roker in the jungle, is stereotyping of the worst kind-all they needed was a tiger chasing Al.

MSGTAS on November 6, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Haven’t watched NBC network in years except for the occassional sporting event.

Not at all surprised by this idiocy but it goes hand in hand with the limousine liberal chic thing they’ve got going on.

Pilgrim on November 6, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Aaaarrrrrghh!!!!

CANDLES…CANDLES…emitting HYDROCARBONS into our precious air!!! Oh the ozone layer!

Don’t these idiots know that the Chinese have bought the exclusive rights to “politically correct light source” from Hillary?

So where are the curly spotlights??

landlines on November 6, 2007 at 11:23 AM

I feel like we are living in some Orwellian nightmare and I am suppose to say there are five fingers when in did there is only one, and you know which one that is.

Irenaeus on November 6, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Who is number one, number seven ? One day you will turn a tv on and a voice will call your name Joe Smith who is number one, you can’t change the channel till you say Hillary Clinton, LOL Ughhhh what a nightmare.

StuLongIsland on November 6, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Green

Isn’t it appropriate that this entire movement calls itself “Green”? Green also means something else which certainly applies — naïve.

Naïve, as in, scientists were predicting Global Cooling thirty years ago, and–obviously–their predictions were wrong.

So, why do environmentalists call themselves “green”? The planet, from outer space, is actually blue in color (overall). If they’re so adamant about their cause, one would think they would apply the correct color of the planet when naming their cause.

eanax on November 6, 2007 at 9:26 PM

After a stunt that insulting I’m actually motivated to start watching a little NBC. I want to note who their sponsors are and make sure I’m not buying any of their products.

Maxx on November 8, 2007 at 3:25 PM