Video: Olbermann apologizes for smearing Giuliani, sort of

posted at 9:31 pm on November 2, 2007 by Allahpundit

He’s rilly rilly sorry — sorry, that is, that Rudy would joke about something as absurd as a Democratic president inviting Bashar Assad to the White House. Where on earth did Giuliani get a crazy idea like that? And Ahmadinejad, a state sponsor of terror (in Rudy’s view, not Olby’s, natch)? Why would Rudy ever think the Democrats would invite him to Washington? Never mind that Barack Obama said as recently as yesterday that he’d negotiate personally with Iran without preconditions.

Notice also how the error gets shunted off onto the Associated Press even though Olby played the videotape with the accurate quote right before his own discussion of it with Arianna. Acknowledging that he ran it at the time, he insists “the tape … shows both what Mr. Giuliani actually said and why there was widespread confusion about that.” Er, no, it doesn’t. It’s clear as day what Rudy actually said. You just didn’t pay enough attention to notice.

As “revenge” for his mistake, Olby made Giuliani the worse, worser, and worst person in the world tonight. You stay classy, MSNBC.

Comments

I quit watching ESPN because he is now part of the fest. He is just so….Well I don’t want to get banned and get some bad press for hotair, so I will follow my momma’s rules
Why oh why does this guy get a break?

lsutiger on November 2, 2007 at 9:36 PM

How DARE Giuliani be the victim of a smear by me? This error will be avenged! That’s what makes Giuliani the worst person in the world! Or something like that.

stonemeister on November 2, 2007 at 9:36 PM

hahaha holy cow what a buffoon…just doesn’t have the stones to admit he blew it. He’ll probably blame Bush for mind control at some point.

Sir Loin on November 2, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Nope, not buying it

Kini on November 2, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Seems Philip Klein is correct – the left really hates Rudy.

Slublog on November 2, 2007 at 9:39 PM

To liberals and nutcases like Olby, EVERYTHING is an excuse to bash Republicans.

Even when they themselves screw up and show their irresponsiblity and hatred for all to see…

its STILL the Republicans’ fault.

Olby and his minions are gonna be in for a surprise when Rudy takes office and Olby finds out that Rudy fights back.

Always Right on November 2, 2007 at 9:41 PM

This just in: It is snowing in hell! Oops no sorry, we apologize the AP has retracted that. It almost snowed in hell today.

boomer on November 2, 2007 at 9:43 PM

OT: doriangrey how did you survive the fires? I was following your posts last week but for family/work reasons that would take too long to go into I missed the follow-up. Your posts gave me nightmares. I prayed for you. Glad you’re okay.

aengus on November 2, 2007 at 9:44 PM

No Olbermann he clearly says Assad. If you actually watched the clips you put on your show you would know that.

I guess not even Olbermann watches Countdown.

Keljeck on November 2, 2007 at 9:44 PM

If someone could link to an old thread explaining this that would be great. I don’t want to louse up this thread with an off-topic discussion.

aengus on November 2, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Follow the “clear as day” link in the post. That will explain everything.

Allahpundit on November 2, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Olby is part of NBC Sunday Night Football. He’s on at half time so it’s easy to flip the channel to something else. I would guess a lot of people switch at the half also. Leave it to NBC to screw up even the NFL. Nothing is sacred or beyond them ruining anything they touch.

countywolf on November 2, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Who’s he sucking off to keep his job? What a moron.

SouthernGent on November 2, 2007 at 9:49 PM

This guy reminds me so much of that anchor on the old Mary Tyler Moore Show.

JellyToast on November 2, 2007 at 9:49 PM

aengus on November 2, 2007 at 9:44 PM

The prayers of kind people and friends….the fire got within a few miles of my house then split like in a cartoon and went around me.

doriangrey on November 2, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Amazing. Glad to hear you’re okay.

Slublog on November 2, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Hey Keith, I hope you wiped your mouth and brushed your teeth after having to eat sh*t.

Mallard T. Drake on November 2, 2007 at 9:58 PM

You know I really fell sorry for Olberman

He really is that pathetic and doesnt know it

William Amos on November 2, 2007 at 9:58 PM

This guy has more severe psychiatric problems than Chris Matthews. Not by much, but worser…

d1carter on November 2, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Pathetic loser.

JammieWearingFool on November 2, 2007 at 10:07 PM

I’m sure the three “truther” morons who comprise Olby’s audience thought it was totally a great, awesome apology. As for the rest of us….

mjk on November 2, 2007 at 10:15 PM

Even with an assload of egg on his face, Heir Olberdouche is not dissuaded from engaging in more shameless smearing.

Keith, YOU are the worst person in the world universe.

phile on November 2, 2007 at 10:16 PM

IQ of lint.

abinitioadinfinitum on November 2, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Well, he certainly knows his audience doesn’t he. It was clear as day and he bald face lied about it. What a complete tool.

csdeven on November 2, 2007 at 10:50 PM

countywolf on November 2, 2007 at 9:49 PM

That Worst Person in the NFL is terrible. I know that NFL pregame shows are pretty awful these days, but that’s pretty low. Why are these a-holes so negative all the time? How about a segment on the Best Person in the NFL. It’s just stupid beyond belief.

I guess they want to out-do Fox’s NFL pregame show that did a parody of Rush Limbaugh, where they made fun of his drug addiction.

Pathetic.

reaganaut on November 2, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Basically he’s saying: I made a mistake but it’s OK because Giuliani is a dangerous anyways.

terryannonline on November 2, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Olby is such a mockery of himself, it really doesn’t matter what he says, it all just comes out stupid.

Lawrence on November 2, 2007 at 11:02 PM

Beulch !! Sorry Olby, I’m watching the 10th rerun of
of Rocky 4. No time for your slop.

Texyank on November 2, 2007 at 11:04 PM

What a vajayjay

Mike Honcho on November 2, 2007 at 11:07 PM

lsutiger on November 2, 2007 at 9:36 PM

I think your rage is misplaced. Olbermann isn’t a part of ESPN, he works for NBC’s Football Night in America.

Lol.

Nonfactor on November 2, 2007 at 11:08 PM

lsutiger on November 2, 2007 at 9:36 PM

Actually, Olbermann used to work for ESPN. He now ruins the NBC Sunday night football halftime show. I just flip to another channel during halftime on NBC. As much as I like Michaels/Madden, I’ve been considering not watching NBC football unless it’s a game I really have to see.

jaime on November 2, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Can some people really watch this assclown and his assclown guests and REALLY think, “Yeah, these people make a lot of sense…”?

Sadly, I think so.

Metro on November 2, 2007 at 11:52 PM

How can they claim there is no bias in the media when nuts like Olby and Ariola can get on the air and blatantly smear Rudy? It makes me sick, I don’t even let my kids watdch the news without me sitting there to translate.

EdGruberman on November 3, 2007 at 12:05 AM

TOOL

Dirthead on November 3, 2007 at 12:30 AM

So….this is like the 6th retraction/apology Olbermann has had to issue basing his crap on lefty blogs and his own retarded conspiracy theories, RIGHT?

MSNBC Olby program = Art Bell Coast to Coast

Topsecretk9 on November 3, 2007 at 12:33 AM

Ummmmm…how long has Iran been designated as one of the world’s biggest state sponsors of terrorism? I’m pretty sure that dates back to when Keith was still doing local sports here in SoCal. We’re talking the eighties, back when he wasn’t an insane moonbat.

It takes a special kind of douche who can’t even admit that he was wrong about something specific he and his guest said about someone, even when they played tape of Giulani directly before making their mistake.

Sean M. on November 3, 2007 at 6:40 AM

I have never watched MSNBC, I will never watch MSNBC and he is just a big donkey’s rear end.

CloneTrooper on November 3, 2007 at 7:45 AM

IQ of lint.

abinitioadinfinitum on November 2, 2007 at 10:30 PM

He’s not stupid.

He’s insane.

drjohn on November 3, 2007 at 8:19 AM

He’s not stupid.

He’s insane.

He’s both.

aengus on November 3, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Olby’s just an angry, angry guy. Look at the face, the strained expressions, the cold eyes. He’s just perpetually pissed off. I don’t know, maybe his mama didn’t love him enough, or his daddy was disappointed that he couldn’t hit the long ball. Whatever it is, that man is damaged beyond repair. So what do we do with such troubled, damaged people in this country? We give them their own TV show (Rosie, Ellen, Joy Behar, Bill Maher, Bill Moyers, etc.). We’re oddly fascinated watching them, knowing that at any moment the voices in their heads might kick in and give us a really good show. It’s “insanity television,” and apparently it pays.

Rational Thought on November 3, 2007 at 10:36 AM

terryannonline on November 2, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Fake, but accurate, huh?

acleaver on November 3, 2007 at 10:44 AM

MSNBC Olby program = Art Bell Coast to Coast
Topsecretk9 on November 3, 2007 at 12:33 AM

funny…

When UBERSCHMIDT starts his crackhead musings on NBC SNF, I change the channel immediately. Even if I miss a quarter of football, it is worthwhile to avoid the puke from UBERSCHMIDT.

Try this — remove MSPDQLSMFTNBC from your channel lineup. So, when you surf, you cannot see Abrams, Screwball, UBERSCHMIDT or that RINO IN THE MORNING show. Eventually, cable and satellite companies will get the message.

saved on November 3, 2007 at 10:47 AM

“He’ll probably blame Bush for mind control at some point.”

Olbermann is perfectly safe, since he is missing a key component that would be essential in any attempt at mind control.

drunyan8315 on November 3, 2007 at 10:56 AM

no retraction from Huffy

ctmom on November 3, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Hey wait a minute. I love Coast To Coast. It’s an incredibly interesting show and worth a listen once in a while. Let’s not compare Olby to Art or George. He’s more like “The Gilmore Girls”, the dialog stinks, the personalities suck and the best part of the show is they stopped making it!

EdGruberman on November 3, 2007 at 3:29 PM

I guess not even Olbermann watches Countdown.

Keljeck on November 2, 2007 at 9:44 PM

ha. If you dig around on dKos you’ll see that they actually think his show does better than O’Reilly. They seem to only think the ‘key’ demo matters, but even there KO usually has less viewers. Total numbers he gets completely smashed.

BadgerHawk on November 3, 2007 at 4:33 PM