Video: Silky plays the absolute moral authority card

posted at 12:14 pm on November 1, 2007 by Allahpundit

Three months ago he was leading in Iowa, three months later he’s 10 points down. The last refuge of the floundering campaign is the invocation of absolute moral authority, as we saw when McCain went this route in August after his campaign had cratered financially. The result was an inspiring ad that hasn’t much helped. Silky’s version is more subtle, only alluding to Elizabeth Edwards’s condition but clear enough in its intent. Don’t call him a hero; it’s working-class Americans who are the real heroes, he declares, before recounting how he heroically pressed on after her diagnosis to heroically give those working-class Americans a heroic voice. Note his promise too that they’re not going to “quietly go away.” In populist Silkyland, we’re never far from the great unnamed They that’s trying to silence him or distract from his message. Sometimes it’s Republicans, sometimes it’s the media, sometimes it’s Ann Coulter, sometimes it’s just bourgeois Corporate Interests trying to squelch the proletariat like they always do. Nice to see that it doesn’t work.

Out with the old nutroots darling, in with the new nutroots darling. Dodd’s new ad, also in the health care vein, follows below. It’s goofy but makes a good point about Hillary.

Comments

“If you are looking for heroes don’t look to me, don’t look to Elizabeth”?

Was there ever much danger of that happening? Nice how his list of heroes never gets around to mentioning the men and women in the military.

Just when you think this fool can’t sink any lower…

Drew on November 1, 2007 at 12:20 PM

I can see why this phony couldn’t even get re-elected one time in his home state.

Needs a trim too, doesn’t he? I saw four hairs out of place.

fogw on November 1, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Ordinary Americans don’t view themselves as heroes and know they being pandered to when they are referred to as such. Douche.

RW Wacko on November 1, 2007 at 12:28 PM

This guy is actually not worth talking about. Surely he’s not worth the effort to go to a polling station and vote.

NellE on November 1, 2007 at 12:28 PM

I wonder if Edwards wife goes willingly to be sacrificed by him on the alter of his candidacy, or if she sees this and has the desire to takes his balls out of the jar she keeps them in, and smash them flat with a wooden mallet?

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Notice Dodd was entering a barber shop? I bet that guy doesn’t charge $400 for a haircut. Shoot, Dodd could lever that scene into a sequel and skewer Silky too. HAHAHA!!! THAT would be funny as heck!

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Interesting. Not a black face in that commercial. Does that mean that “working people” are necessarily white? If a Republican candidate did that he’d never hear the end of it.

rivlax on November 1, 2007 at 12:37 PM

I’m not at all surprised this guy is very rich. He’s an excellent used-car/aluminum siding salesman. But where did he get the idea that that could be parlayed into winning the Presidency? He’s slick like Willy, but not as smart. Guess that’s why he doesn’t see himself as he is.

JiangxiDad on November 1, 2007 at 12:40 PM

“I need a hero! I’m holding out for a hero…”

Bonnie Tyler said it best!

SouthernGent on November 1, 2007 at 12:47 PM

SouthernGent on November 1, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Errr…you don’t happen to have a tendency to bite your pillow, do you?

Interesting taste in music for a “SouthernGent”…

(I’m just razzin’ ya ;-)

Ochlan on November 1, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Vote for me because my wife has cancer? Interesting strategery! I guess if that’s all you got, that’s all you got.

highhopes on November 1, 2007 at 12:55 PM

I’d comment, but I’m uncomfortable with picking on a woman who’s facing such hardship.

Especially when her wife has cancer.

Hollowpoint on November 1, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Hollowpoint on November 1, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Ha, good one

conservnut on November 1, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Ok, please correct me if I’m wrong. Isn’t the democratic party the “Big Tent” party? I didn’t notice one person of color in Silky Pony’s ad. Isn’t that in itself – racist? Or the Democrats get a free ride on that too?

Wuptdo on November 1, 2007 at 1:29 PM

A liar’s liar. A douche’s douchebag. Simply the most sickening candidate in a sea of sickening candidates.

He makes Dennis Kucinich look like a reasoned, ethical, thinking man’s politician. I would sooner vote for Ron Paul than John Edwards. There…I’ve said it.

Jaibones on November 1, 2007 at 1:42 PM

So much to say so many 4 letter words to use but i am going to bite my tongue real real hard.

Mojack420 on November 1, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Wuptdo on November 1, 2007 at 1:29 PM

That’s because people of color, etc., are only tools for Pony. He promises to throw other people’s money at the problems that minorities face today – not to hire them… I also recall Kerry had a bunch of white guys traveling with him wherever he went back in ’04 (and no one “of color”). Elitism at work.

Rick on November 1, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Edwards is shameless.

Dodd.. “bringing republicans & Democrats together”? Like sucking up to the Dailykos nutroots crowd by having his strings pulled by “Blackface” Hamsher so he will filibusterer FISA, Dodd is as big a phony as Edwards.

186k on November 1, 2007 at 1:46 PM

I was with those actors barbers until I noticed one of them was wearing a bowtie.

Never trust someone who wears a bowtie!

Weebork on November 1, 2007 at 1:48 PM

What a piece of crap. You are right you are no hero. I have cared for my child with cerebral palsy without any help from you for 22 years and plan on doing so without future help from you or your party. I don’t need you to interject yourself into the healthcare decisions of my family. I am sorry you spent 12 hours in a hospital and heard really bad news there are families out there that spends months at a time in hopsitals getting nothing but bad news. Get over yourself and go sue someone. You made yourself by taking advantage of children like my son.

bopbottle on November 1, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Edwards isn’t relevant nor worth the time to discuss. If he really wanted to score some points with the right, he’d use all his lawyerin’ skills and pin the glacier down on her positions.

That’s when he’ll be considered a serious candidate.

swami on November 1, 2007 at 2:04 PM

“results for a change” is a pretty clever tagline.

jummy on November 1, 2007 at 2:23 PM

I don’t for one instant believe that Dodd is capable of bringing Republicans and Democrats together. Dodd is a total partisan hack. For instance, consider his efforts to undermine Reagan’s foreign policy in the 80′s. Biden and Richards, on the other hand, may be able to make some deals.

thuja on November 1, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Judging by Silky Pony’s ad, elderly black folks must never get sick.

The Ugly American on November 1, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Errr…you don’t happen to have a tendency to bite your pillow, do you?

Interesting taste in music for a “SouthernGent”…

(I’m just razzin’ ya ;-)

Ochlan on November 1, 2007 at 12:54 PM

I’ve mentioned a few times that I’m a pillow biter…unless I’m on top. THere are several of the gays on here. Don’t drop your thoughts!

SouthernGent on November 1, 2007 at 6:07 PM

I suppose they could have put the only two black Iowans in the ad, but that would be pandering to a rather small minority. Seriously, blacks only make up 2.3% of Iowa’s population–not enough to make much of an impact in the primaries. Edwards is better off trying to con gullible white seniors into believing that the government would be better at handling their health care than the private sector (like how the US Postal Service is better at shipping packages overnight than FedEx), and that his plan is superior to those of his opponents. Perhaps Edwards should prove his conviction by outsourcing his wife’s care to Cuba, where doctors are flown in from other countries to administer care to dignitaries like Fidel while regular folks (the lucky ones, anyway) receive inept treatment in understaffed, ill-equipped, and unsanitary facilities that would be condemned if they existed in the US.

Buckleyite on November 1, 2007 at 7:18 PM

SouthernGent on November 1, 2007 at 6:07 PM

I was gonna explain that to him, but I figured I’d wait a while.

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Judging by Silky Pony’s ad, elderly black folks must never get sick.
The Ugly American on November 1, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Not only that, but all black youth will be in jail or dead very soon. Check the video at 3:08 mark.

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 7:44 PM