The Longest Morning

posted at 8:30 am on November 1, 2007 by Bryan

Six weeks ago Al Qaeda tried to pull off a sophisticated abduction of US troops shortly before Gen. Petraeus’ testimony on Iraq before Congress. Their plan was to capture and then slaughter the Americans, thereby drowning out Petraeus’ testimony in the blood of our troops. If they had pulled it off, the gambit would probably have given them a Tet-like victory, meaningless on the battlefield but overwhelming in the post-modern battle space of the mind.

Jeff Emanuel has the story of what happened that day. I won’t excerpt it; it’s too good to pull this or that paragraph. Just go read the whole thing, and wonder why we never hear any stories like this from the mainstream press or out of Hollywood.

Comments

We don’t hear this from the MSM because you actually have to leave your hotel to get a story. And be interested in the truth. Also, we don’t hear this sort of thing becasue they support the troops.

Leonidas Hoplite on November 1, 2007 at 8:47 AM

It doesn’t fit their template that is Iraq is the Vietnam
War redux.

highhopes on November 1, 2007 at 9:02 AM

We hear it.We know.
There are more of us than there are of them.
WE will be victorious.
God bless our forces.

bbz123 on November 1, 2007 at 9:17 AM

To call them brave, couragous, selfless and heroic somehow doesn’t seem enough. I wonder how many other stories there are like this that we haven’t heard about. Scores? Hundreds?

Keep up the good work, MSM. Every year I see fewer and fewer people reading newspapers on my commuter train and those that do are reading the free ones. How long before the NYT building on 43rd and 7th is sold for condos?

Leonidas Hoplite on November 1, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Wow. Thank you for directing me to the story.

sunny on November 1, 2007 at 9:28 AM

And remember that if AQ had had their way with our boys, they then would have had their way with our willing media. It’s only news when they win.

Pablo on November 1, 2007 at 9:44 AM

Unbelieveable story. These guys are amazing.

Jaibones on November 1, 2007 at 9:51 AM

Incredible heroism in the face of overwhelming odds. I mourn the loss of 2 of our finest soldiers, and celebrate the fact that the other two survived, while spoiling the enemy of their goal. I agree. These guys are amazing.

DakRoland on November 1, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Wow.

I was fighting back tears when I got to the part where the trooper is saying “Please God, help me,” and a few seconds later his buddy (who he thought was dead) shows up.

I laughed out loud when I read about the al qaida “safe house” getting hit.

Better men then I’ll ever be.

If this doesn’t make you get off your ass and do something with your life, nothing will.

CurtZHP on November 1, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Great story. Just shows how good our boys are.
Feel horrible about the loss of 2 of our finest.
One can never say thank you enough.

PaKeystoner on November 1, 2007 at 11:00 AM

I am truly humbled to know we have a generation of young warriors risking their all against overwhelming odds to protect us at home. Their tenacious defense against these medieval savages was incredible and against all odds. It is very unfortunate we lost two more of this country’s finest.

KC-135A on November 1, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Incredible story.

BadgerHawk on November 1, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Now that would make a Hollywood blockbuster.

God bless those young men.

danking70 on November 1, 2007 at 11:12 AM

My heart swells with pride and breaks with sorrow. PaKeystoner is right

One can never say thank you enough.

KelliD on November 1, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Its astounding to think about how much press this story would have received had Al Qaeda suceeded in their mission. It would have been on every news channel every day. I could see Al Qaeda torture tapes playing split screen while Patraeus testified. Instead, most of America will never hear of this. Those four paratroopers denied our enemy a great victory.

BohicaTwentyTwo on November 1, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Outstanding. This is the stuff true heroes are made of.

Ochlan on November 1, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Thanks for bringing this story to our attention Bryan. God Bless and protect our Troops.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 11:38 AM

The MoveOn.org-Democratic Party, the MSM and the Hollywood left all want Al Qaeda to win. They want America to lose.

Had Al Qaeda succeeded, they would have been trumpeting the fact as “Tet 07″ and given the Democrats in Congress more ammunition to assault Petraeus. But since we not only prevailed but destroyed a major Al Qaeda cell, I have no doubt that the MSM “blackholed” or spiked this story. As you say, it doesn’t fit their agenda to report an American victory.

This was a “last ditch effort” by Al Qaeda to score a propaganda coup — and it failed.

Kudos to Charlie Company. And blessed be the memories of Troopers Morely and Willis; may their memories be eternal.

Coda:

…as the ISI members responsible were hunted down, one by one, by Captain Ferris and his company of very motivated, and exceptionally lethal, paratroopers….

georgej on November 1, 2007 at 11:38 AM

how do you spell hero? Corriveau and Moser.

Dear God in heaven above, thank you for blessing us with soldiers like these.

Bryan, thanks for sharing this. This battle will be remembered by Americans forever.

Zorro on November 1, 2007 at 12:08 PM

As an OIF vet and an NCO I understand the caliber of these men. They are amazing. As one who will be a newly-commissioned officer in the next two months, I hope I have the courage and attention to soldier care that platoon leader did as he lept out the door and ran blind into the building after his men.

thomashton on November 1, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Now that would make a Hollywood blockbuster.

If only Hollywood made movies like that any more. I know I’d go -and take my whole family.

taznar on November 1, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Al Qaeda wanted a Tet, but those paratroopers turned that staircase in Samara into their Thermopylae.

Μολών λαβέ

BohicaTwentyTwo on November 1, 2007 at 12:18 PM

I’m humbled.

God bless our troops.

TexasDan on November 1, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Corriveau and Moser.
Zorro on November 1, 2007 at 12:08 PM

I would add Morley and Willis to that list. As a matter of fact, I’d add every single trooper that puts on a uniform.

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 1:03 PM

thomashton on November 1, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for you for your service. Officers get a bad rap sometimes, but while their soldiers sleep, they plan tomorrows mission, and, as you noted, take very seriously their responsibility to their guys.

Thank God for each and every one of you. I for one will never forget. NEVER.

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Amazing! Inspiring! At 20 to 1 odds, it was like the Alamo of Iraq. This time, 2 of the greatest men in this country survived.

Just goes to show how great our soldiers are. Those Al Qaeda thought they were fighting a dozen American soldiers.

Helloyawl on November 1, 2007 at 1:25 PM

This story is incredible. I only can with that the MSM would pick this story up and get it out to the mainstream.

The new media really needs to blow this story up and tell this story of our heroes in Iraq.

God bless those men and their families.

infidelesto on November 1, 2007 at 1:42 PM

I would add Morley and Willis to that list.
csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Absolutely. I was boarding a plane in Chattanooga and was in a rush as well as having tears in my eyes. Thanks.

Zorro on November 1, 2007 at 3:03 PM

The bastards in Hollywood will make movies about heroic stuff like this long after the war is over so as not to influence public opinion in the here and now. And those movies will have backers, stars and directors who are now in opposition to the war. Some of them will justify this the same way Jodi Foster justified her starring role in The Brave One. No one should have a gun, it’s just art = War is never good, it’s just art.

Damn it. Their timely art will make them kazillions of dollars at the right time in their all knowing universe because heroics sell.

Meanwhile, for ten minutes, on a rooftop worlds away, four men did a gut check and stood their ground. At the right time. But now is not the time to tell that story don’t you see. The money for their art is central. But it can wait.

dingbat on November 1, 2007 at 4:01 PM