HuffPo cancels author’s series on Iraq after Weekly Standard blows it out of the water

posted at 5:16 pm on November 1, 2007 by Allahpundit

Via Dan Riehl, another score for Goldfarb. Here’s a sentence you don’t see every day:

Professional journalists–you know who you are–could learn a thing or two about journalism from Arianna Huffington.

Not so much, Mike, not so much.

Comments

HuffPo PWN3D.

Good Lt on November 1, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Well that tends to happen when you make stuff up.

BadgerHawk on November 1, 2007 at 5:27 PM

The article was written by Barry Sanders:

Barry Sanders was professor of History of Ideas and English at Pitzer College in Claremont, California

Hmmm. I guess one idea that impressed him was fabricating facts.

Andy in Agoura Hills on November 1, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Who would have thunk it Huff po has standards ?

Substandards to be sure

William Amos on November 1, 2007 at 5:29 PM

How dare you check facts on a story from HuffPo!

heh, the guy that wrote that stuff knows less about the military than Paris Hilton.

conservnut on November 1, 2007 at 5:35 PM

HuffPo’s prompt correction absolves them of further embarassment on this subject.

Compare that to the defensive reactions by The New Republic, the Los Angeles Times and the University of Delaware … none of which seem to realize that by trying to cover up the holes in which they find themselves, they’re actually digging themselves deeper.

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Credit where credit is due though- HuffPo did cancel the series when they could’ve just issued corrections without letting on that the author is a factually-challenged moron.

Doesn’t excuse other misdeeds over at HuffPo, but still- it’s a start.

Hollowpoint on November 1, 2007 at 5:41 PM

I just came from a class at school where the professor talked about Idols. He said they don’t have to be statues or anything “graven” because these days they are ideas and thoughts that the masses idolize.. apart from truth or fact.

I thought about this and the U of D posts when he said it.

GoodBoy on November 1, 2007 at 5:58 PM

“The USS Independence was not, as claimed, headed to the Persian Gulf in 2002 (it was decommissioned in 1998)”

Yeah, that is a pretty big boo boo.

SoulGlo on November 1, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Does anyone remember at what point Arianne became a kook?

SouthernGent on November 1, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Does anyone remember at what point Arianne became a kook?

SouthernGent on November 1, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Probably when she realized that she’d be invited to better cocktail parties if she went liberal.

Hollowpoint on November 1, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Hey, at least the guy didn’t claim the F-22′s and AH-64′s took off from the Independence. For a leftard he’s almost a military scholar!

Blacklake on November 1, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Let me guess, Barry Sanders is Dan Rathers new Nom de plume.

TheSitRep on November 1, 2007 at 6:47 PM

“Mr. Sanders feels that the dispute over these details obscures the larger point of his argument” – I’ve heard that logic before.

Apeking on November 1, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Apeking on November 1, 2007 at 7:20 PM

Fake but accurate, right?

I know Goldfarb is trying to be gracious, but AH lets a lot of that crap pass. It seems she only got involved once MG got wind of it. Hmmmmm.

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Let me get this straight….

According to Saunders, his point is more important the “facts” he uses to back it up.

And this guy is teaching our kids?

GT on November 1, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Now the question remains – why do they hire or commission people like this?

Credit denied. They pulled it because they had to, not because they’re interested in some mythical standard of fairness or because they wanted to.

They’re 99% BDS inpatient ward over there bordering on Trooferism, and cheering for Cheney’s death whenever he has a routine checkup.

Screw them.

See the Arinna/Olberdunce lie from the previous night.

Good Lt on November 1, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Monty Python – Parrot Sketch

Wink wink nudge nudge say no more!

jdkchem on November 1, 2007 at 9:33 PM

Fake but accurate. All the facts were wrong, but now I know the miltary burns fuel! Who’d have guessed aircraft carriers, tanks and fighter jets get lower gas mileage than an SUV? Something must be done!

Obviously we need bigger SUV’s!

taznar on November 1, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Slightly OT Experiment: look up the tailpipe of a US jet in afterburner during an airshow demo. Then do the same to a Russian jet. I have.

You will note that the US engine is running at a near-white-hot temp, and the Russian is burning like a smokey candle. I am not saying an F-22 gets better mileage than a Prius, but it is a damned efficient airplane, because efficient airplanes (and ships and tanks) go faster, go further and run longer without refueling than inefficient ones.

drunyan8315 on November 1, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Let me begin by saying that this is a new world for me, the world of blogging. I might have expected people responding, correcting my data; but I did not expect the vitriol, the great desire to pick at the details without facing the entire argument.

I had trouble understanding author Sanders paragraph above. So I ran it through my Libby-Dem Translator program. Pass 1 returned the following translation:

“I’m a bloviating leftist asshole who got caught lying.”

Right-clicking on the translation and selecting, ‘want pass two?’, resulted in the expanded translation:

“I’m used to the top-down approach to controlling the flow of news and information that get disseminated to our readers. Until now, I was not aware of the new communication paradigm that the Internet represents, where instead of a regime where we, the gatekeepers, tell you, the readers, what is news or factual, the process becomes a two-way street. I was totally oblivious to the fact that people can challenge my factual representations AND HAVE THAT CHALLENGE WIDELY DISSEMINATED. Until now, I didn’t realize that I have been relegated to being a monk hand transcribing a bible in latin, manually illuminating it with artwork, in the era of where Guttenberg and his printing press can make thousands of copies of the Bible — in German, available for all to read for themselves. And I don’t like it.”

georgej on November 2, 2007 at 3:17 AM

I liked him better as a football player. [rimshot]

Bigfoot on November 2, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Didn’t it turn out that Arianna’s ex-husband was gay?

That could explain a lot.

Mommynator on November 2, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Does anyone remember at what point Arianne became a kook?

July 15, 1950