Delaware’s Indoctrinate U update: FIRE responds Update: I’m being oppressed!

posted at 2:46 pm on November 1, 2007 by Bryan

(post begins below)

Update: U Del’s residence program is overtly political. It’s all in what they choose to emphasize.

udel-russell-005.png

National Coming Out Day gets two mentions, as opposed to, say, National Sanctity of Human Life Day, which gets none.

I’m up to about 26 pages in the Russell Complex program document. If anyone else wants to take a crack at it, here it is.

Update: Check this out — the program convinces otherwise happy legal immigrants that they’re being oppressed in the mean old United States. This is from page 13 of the same document quoted below.

udel-russell-004h.jpg

Nice. How oppressed can you be if you didn’t notice it for 12 years?

On Wednesday, the University of Delaware responded to allegations that it is running a mandatory indoctrination program via its student housing. UDel responded that, first, the program isn’t mandatory and, second, it wasn’t intended to indoctrinate anyone. The university did concede that some of the program’s administrators have taken it too far, and their actions are under review.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) responds today.

November 1, 2007

FIRE is shocked and disappointed that the University of Delaware has chosen to defend its invasive and unconstitutional residence life education program. Rather than immediately renounce and dismantle what the university itself calls a “treatment” program for students living in its residence halls, the school has chosen instead to obfuscate, deny, and distort the program’s intention, its operation, and its effect.

Vice President for Student Life Michael Gilbert raises several erroneous and misleading points in response to FIRE’s October 29 letter that demand an immediate answer. Below is a list of assertions from Gilbert’s letter, followed by FIRE’s rebuttal of each claim.

1) “Your letter asserts a number of conclusions that can be supported by a selective citation of documents, but are not actualized.”

FIRE’s Response: FIRE unequivocally stands by its description of the University of Delaware’s “curriculum” for student housing residents. We invite the public to view the full curriculum of the residence life program—available in PDF format on our website—in its entirety, and to judge for themselves whether we have misrepresented any aspect of the nature of that program through selective quotation. In fact, as readers will see upon examination, the concerns that we have raised pervade every one of the hundreds of pages that constitute the University of Delaware’s residence life curriculum.

2) “Students are not required to participate in any residential activity, educational program, or to maintain the University provided nametag on their door.”

FIRE’s Response: This assertion is directly contradicted by direct quotations from the university’s own materials. As we have demonstrated, public and internal documents alike stress time and again that “every student” must be reached. As an RA wrote to students about one-on-one sessions, “Not to scare anyone or anything, but these are MANDATORY!!” Moreover, the philosophy of the program is defined explicitly as being distinct from that of the “voluntary” program model. Additionally, the entire residence hall environment is manipulated so that students cannot avoid persistent exposure to the university’s approved messages.

Additional examples abound. All quotes are from the 2007-2008 curricula for the individual residence complexes. At the Dickinson complex:

· “All students are expected to be at community meetings. As this is the primary educational delivery strategy, follow up will be expected by the RA/HD for those residents who do not attend a community meeting.”
· “Each room door in the complex will have a door decoration that has a representation of the interlocking circles of the triple bottom line.”

At the Christiana Towers complex:

· “As a means to take action, students will become engaged in the Adopt-a-Rainforest project.”

At the Russell complex:

· “In late October, students will take action by advocating for a social group that is oppressed…this sequence is capped with the second one on one between the RA and the student in which the student will recognize his/her negative stereotypes and learn how to challenge them.”

· “In the second floor meeting in late March, students will take action by advocating for a sustainable world.”

Read the rest; FIRE takes the university’s response apart point by point.

I have been in contact with a *Delaware graduate since the story broke. He has a friend who is currently a UDel student. Here’s what they have to say about the program:

From my talks with my friend, he thinks it sounds like a relatively new program (at least to him), and we both think it may be policies intended to make the university look like it is making great strides towards “inclusion” and “social justice.” But in reality, like most dorm activities, no one really shows up or cares very much. From the universities response, it sounds like some people may have taken it a bit too seriously – even for the university – and they are working to temper things a bit.

The university has a lengthy report justifying the program’s necessity and explaining its processes and procedures. I’m still going through it, but just a few pages in it becomes clear that the program is a reaction or overreaction to a perception that the campus isn’t racially diverse enough.

Udel 3

So the program sets out to force a little diversity.

UDel report 1

This next clipping certainly makes the program appear to be mandatory. The columns represent what students are expected to learn in their student residence program during specific school years.

Udel 2

It may be that students find ways to ignore a lot of this teaching, college students being particularly adept at shirking whatever silliness their school’s muckety-mucks come up with, but the fact remains that the university’s own reports and documents back up everything that FIRE has said about it.

Ironically, the University of Delaware has attempted to counter what it believes is “systematic oppression” with a program that looks an awful lot like just another version of systematic oppression.

More: The Chronicle of Higher Education has a brief article about Delaware’s program. While it’s fine, the comments attached to it are far more interesting. The first two are illuminating, as they come from within the university and within the program itself.

1. I am so happy that FIRE blew open this case. I work in the student affairs office and the place went crazy when the letter from FIRE arrived. THe truth is that they created a well intended program, but crossed the line in many ways. Yes until this week the program was mandatory and they have temporarily suspended the mandatory nature of it, but once the attention goes away especially with Parents Weekend arriving they want to look good. Boy can they lie.

— Marie Oct 31, 10:09 PM

And:

2. I have been an RA for the past two years and have not been comfortable with this program. It has gotten out of hand and demanding of students. Yesterday I was approached to be an advocate of the program. Several of my RA friends have been asked to be available for talking with the press. When I declined I was taken aside and told that my future as an RA was in jeopardy as was future a student. I decided to stand-up for myself. I read the university response to FIRE and they seem to want to divert the attention away from the programs flaws and talk about how FIRE make U Del. students look. Well it was U Del. students that had the backbone and insight to bring this issue up to FIRE. Go Hens! FIRE believes in us.

— Bill Nov 1, 05:59 AM

*Clarification: The email I quoted above isn’t from a former UD student. It’s from a recent grad of another university, who works with a 2006 grad from UD. My mistake.

Update: We received an email tip a few minutes ago that the program documents are being deleted from the university’s web page. That looks to be the case. Go here and look at the URL at the top of the page. FIRE put that there to identify where they obtained the document that they posted as a PDF. Now go here. That’s the URL that was on top of that PDF. The page isn’t there anymore.

If you find any similar anomalies, either email me or note them in comments and we’ll check them out.

I hesitate to call this a Soviet-style airbrushing, but given the nature of the story, it does fit.

Update: I had the address wrong. The page in question is here. This page is worth looking into, though. Where did the content go?

Comments

I would have used the “it’s Delaware” defense. Works for Biden.

gabriel sutherland on November 1, 2007 at 2:49 PM

This is what happens when one political ideology gains a 9 to 1 hold on the reigns of any organization. Group think ensues and everything becomes a vast echo chamber for the prevailing ideology.

doriangrey on November 1, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Yes, but the University’s oppression is for a good cause. That’s all that matters.

Clark1 on November 1, 2007 at 2:57 PM

From the comments to an article at the Chronicle of Higher Learning:

I would say that the U. of Del., and those who created this program, cannot be hypocritical here. They too must be willing to do just what they want others to do: engage in honest self-examination on the issues raised here.

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 2:57 PM

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 2:57 PM

D’oh! Thank you aunursa, I meant to link and comment on that article too.

Bryan on November 1, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Scary stuff. And if it’s this bad now, what are these institutions going to be like in 50 years?

Splashman on November 1, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Yeah that old “the ends justify the means” bilge gets scary quick, don’t it?

mojo on November 1, 2007 at 3:05 PM

If diversity is such an essential part of university life, then why are “historically black colleges” allowed and even encouraged to remain so? Do those students not need diversity awareness training as well?

flipflop on November 1, 2007 at 3:06 PM

I wonder if any students have opted to “advocate” for U Del. students.

flipflop on November 1, 2007 at 3:08 PM

flipflop,

No, because minority students are inherently aware of diversity. Only those inherently-racist white students need to be made aware of their subconscious hostility.
/UDel

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 3:10 PM

We have paratroopers dying a hero’s death on roof tops in Samara while these yellow crapweasel ba$tard$ at Univ. Del. play Soviet style mind games with students. Well done FIRE and thanks.

Zorro on November 1, 2007 at 3:11 PM

More great examples of how perpetrating a race issue promotes prejudice.

Speakup on November 1, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Maybe they could appear move diverse if they actually played Delaware St in football. As it stands, they have a policy of not playing the predominantly black school.

Queasy on November 1, 2007 at 3:14 PM

I hope Marie, who works in the student affairs office, has used a fake name, because if not, she’s going to be fired.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 1, 2007 at 3:19 PM

/UDel

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 3:10 PM

*ah* Thanks for straightening me out on that. My European-Americanism got the better of me once again.

flipflop on November 1, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Good for FIRE. I’m somewhat stunned by the threat to the RA, though. Well, okay, I’m not shocked, but really, does U Del think that kind of crap won’t get out? It totally makes them look even worse.

But then, any group who expects to have this kind of program work really does lean towards coercion first, don’t they?

Vanceone on November 1, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Smelaware Sux! It cost me 9 bucks to drive through Smelaware on I-95 last night on my way to Jersey. Can they do that?! I mean isn’t I-95 an interstate built and funded and maintained by the feds. I was pissed. I guess Smelaware is such a small state with zero tourism dollars and needs to stick you up like the old highway bandits. Way to Go Greasy Joe. Heh Heh I know his brother Frank we attend the same 12 step program in Boca Raton.

sonnyspats1 on November 1, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Wow, its sounds like Good Old Communist Party meetings. Just with RAs instead of Commissars.

Iblis on November 1, 2007 at 3:33 PM

“I am so happy that FIRE blew open this case. I work in the student affairs office and the place went crazy when the letter from FIRE arrived.”

when an organization remains focused and scrupulous, it builds a reputation.

i’m proud for fire that they can inspire such a reaction.

horowitz’s anti-indoctrination org is much less successfull in this respect. a lot of smoke and explosions accompany what he does. this is not nessesary an altogether bad thing.

but it seems like when fire takes a case, their reputation is such that people know that the gulag wall is being torn down and a space for freedom is being created.

jummy on November 1, 2007 at 3:33 PM

sonnyspats1,

Umm, there are lots of interstate tollways. Not to mention interstate toll bridges, particularly in the New York City area and San Francisco Bay Area.

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 3:35 PM

BTW Interstate tollways include Oklahoma, Indiana, and Ohio, among others … so it’s not just a blue state thing.

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 3:37 PM

More great examples of how perpetrating a race issue promotes prejudice.

Speakup on November 1, 2007 at 3:12 PM

I’m not sure the about this approach.

saiga on November 1, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Muslim women?

Assyrian Christians?

… of course not what they intended …

desertdweller on November 1, 2007 at 3:48 PM

jummy: Horowitz has been on the left’s radar for about 15 years now. Anything he touches the left will seek to discredit immediately.

FIRE will get there eventually once they lay down more footprints.

gabriel sutherland on November 1, 2007 at 3:50 PM

sonnyspats1,

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Blue State, Red State it’s still akin to being waylayed by a gang of bandito’s. I bet someone with the legal expertise could fight this in court and win. Is it legal for a state to profiteer on a federal highway system? Balderdash!

sonnyspats1 on November 1, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Palestinian homosexuals?

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 3:52 PM

I’m not sayin’ it’s right. I’m just saying that it’s not unique to the State of Delaware.

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 3:53 PM

I suppose by ‘not mandatory’ they mean that minorities (who, by definition cannot be racist or oppressors) do not need to attend right?

CrazyFool on November 1, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Bryan,

Click on the links to the left.

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Diversity Initiatives

Racism, sexism, heterosexism, ageism, ableism and other behaviors and systems that empower some while oppressing others will not be tolerated.

Ageism? What is that — freshmen hazing?
Ableism? Where do they come up with these terms?

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 4:02 PM

God in Heaven, no one read the PDF files associated with the residence life program. I’m only halfway through the one for the Central Complex and its already making me sick.

I can only imagine what the rest contain.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 4:02 PM

AP and gang,

Take a look at the person that offered the training indoctrination to the residence life administration. Dr. Shakti Butler. Check out her website for the non-profit she works for.

You should read her curriculum vitae. It is here.

Absolutely amazing. If you look at the alleged institution of lower learning where she received her Ph.D., it is in San Fransicko. I had to look and see if the California Institute of Integral Studies exists. It does. It even has an accreditation. How? I haven’t the slightest clue. It looks like a facility that was started by and supported by ’60s hippie radicals. Absolutely no agenda here….riiiiiiiggghhhtt…..

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 1, 2007 at 4:02 PM

Dr. Shakti Butler’s latest project (and associated Heart-to-Heart conversation series) is Mirrors of Privilege: Making Whiteness Visible. I (and my Swedish co-worker) had no idea that we are racists ghosts!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 1, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 4:02 PM

The clippings in the post are from the Russell Complex program. It’s probably very similar to the one that you’re reading.

Bryan on November 1, 2007 at 4:06 PM

FIRE is doing excellent work by exposing this kind of Leftist indoctrination in colleges and universities. I hope both parents and students start vigorously supporting FIRE’s efforts so that these institutions can be brought back to doing the job the parents are paying for, namely providing a solid, propaganda free education for the students.

This university is clearly not concerned with education, the only concern is for the wholesale indoctrination of the student body into Leftist ideology. And just as clearly, lots of people in positions of authority at the University of Delaware need to lose their jobs.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 1, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Yeah. The notion that I have had “privilege” handed to me in my life is garbage.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 4:08 PM

“To be in congruence with the triple bottom line of sustainability: social justice, healthy environments, and economic growth” …

THAT’S what people have to display hanging from their doors?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*cough* *splutter* … and here I thought it was some cheesy multi-cult representation of the three races together.

Guess its just your “Commitment to Hard Left Activism” card.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Darn, Parents and Family weekend starts today, so it’s too late for FIRE to take out an ad in the campus newspaper. That would have been informative for the families footing the bills for their offspring to be indoctrinated…

But, I’m sure the university would not have allowed FIRE to place the ad in the first place…

rbb on November 1, 2007 at 4:17 PM

The link to the now contentless “Whole New World Training” page had 5 documents in it this morning that were real eye-openers, with, I think, 1 PDF, 2 Word files, and 2 power-points, or something like that. Now they are all gone. I wish I had saved copies yesterday, because they were priceless examples of new Marxist indoctrination.

MikeHu on November 1, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Bryan on November 1, 2007 at 4:06 PM

First half or second half?

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 4:19 PM

See the update at the top. I’m only about 13 pages in. But I found oppression already!

Bryan on November 1, 2007 at 4:22 PM

RE: Update: … Where did the content go?

I can still ‘see’ the docs on the http://www.udel.edu/reslife/students/wholenewworld.htm page.

(Cached from yesterday?) If need be, I have all five saved…

sandcrab on November 1, 2007 at 4:30 PM

sandcrab on November 1, 2007 at 4:30 PM

They must be cached. I tried to go there – got the page, but the links for the docs are gone. Hang on to those docs!

jdawg on November 1, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Just reading the first page of this document sure makes it sound mandatory.

“Students, especially in the Christina Towers, will need to embrace their responsibility…”

“The freshmen in the Christina Towers will participate in a series of community meetings…”

“Sophomores, juniors, and seniors will participate in monthly community meetings…”

“Students will evaluate their consumption patterns…”

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 4:33 PM

FIRE still has access to some of the documents that were deleted off of the “Whole New World Training” site:

MikeHu on November 1, 2007 at 4:38 PM

I know his brother _____ we attend the same 12 step program in Boca Raton.

sonnyspats1 on November 1, 2007 at 3:24 PM

OT
You really shouldn’t reveal another’s membership in a 12-step program.

/just sayin’
(18 years)
;)

leepro on November 1, 2007 at 4:41 PM

In case there was any question about the mandatory nature, see Christina Towers Curriculum Study:

Students, especially in the Christiana Towers , will need to embrace their responsibility for creating a sustainable society on a global scale by becoming change agents. It is imperative that we prompt not only critical reflection by students on issues that affect a global society, but also action as well. By helping students move beyond their comfort zone and be active agents of change, we are creating citizens who are capable of leaving our world better for future generations.

The freshmen living in the Christiana Towers will participate in a series of community meetings that will give them the knowledge to understand themselves and their background in terms of their race/ethnicity, gender, etc. and how their background affects their interactions in society. While the community meetings will have this knowledge component, students will actively participate in specific projects, such as recycling drives and adopt-a-rain forest. As active participants in these community meetings, the RA will lead students through a series of guided discussions on diversity issues and how to use this knowledge to act for the betterment of the community.

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors will participate in monthly community meetings that are designed to provide knowledge about contemporary global issues and prompt action. For example, students will evaluate their consumption patterns in an attempt to reduce it apartment by apartment. Furthermore, students will be asked in the floor meeting setting to choose a project for change. The RAs will lead the students in the apartment through discussions that will focus on how they contribute to a society that is not only just, but also environmentally sound. The RAs will also lead students through the planning process for change.

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 4:44 PM

leepro on November 1, 2007 at 4:41 PM

That is true.

and wow @ the “Culture of White Supremacy” thing … the “White Culture is a Deadly Brew” segment here sounds like it was written by a stereotypical hippie.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 4:54 PM

More great examples of how perpetrating a race issue promotes prejudice.

Speakup on November 1, 2007 at 3:12 PM

I’m not sure the about this approach.

saiga on November 1, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Race being an issue to begin with at Del U may or may not have been a problem, however Del U went a very long ways past discrimination avoidance.

What I did do was neglect the other over reaching issues by Del U.

Perpetrating a racism, sexism, heterosexism, ageism, ableism and other behaviors and systems that empower some while oppressing others, mandatory Khmer Rouge style program, promotes prejudice.

Is a little more accurate.
Your right my first post was confusing.

Speakup on November 1, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Boy, it really give me confidence in the University of Delaware when the title of the page you linked to is “Narritive 1.”

rivlax on November 1, 2007 at 5:08 PM

rivlax on November 1, 2007 at 5:08 PM

That’s just too good. Can’t spell, but they can spot a white person, er, racist, on sight…

jdawg on November 1, 2007 at 5:14 PM

This in Africa Delaware…

max1 on November 1, 2007 at 5:32 PM

My Rules:
RA’s who attempt to force me to attend one of their brainwash meetings WILL become intensely interested in extracting my size 13 from their rectal sphincter.

mojo on November 1, 2007 at 5:40 PM

And there it goes down the memory hole.

Again: Why Hullo Thar Seattle Public Schools.

BKennedy on November 1, 2007 at 5:45 PM

The main goal for students living in the Christiana Towers is to recognize that they do have rights as students, such as living in safe, just, and environmentally sound community. However, with these rights, students also have the obligation to contribute at a local, national and global level. some rights are more equal than others, like our university’s Party platform.

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 4:44 PM

That’s what I read.

BKennedy on November 1, 2007 at 5:50 PM

mojo on November 1, 2007 at 5:40 PM

rectal sphincter.

Is there any other kind?! Lol.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 7:13 PM

Is there any other kind?! Lol.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 7:13 PM

Considering what these idiots are saying, I’d say they have an esophogal sphincter as well.

BKennedy on November 1, 2007 at 9:10 PM

As I wrote to the University president earlier today – Jefferson had it right:

“The opinions of men are not the object of civil government, nor under its jurisdiction.” –Thomas Jefferson: Statute of Religious Freedom, 1779.

“I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.” — Thomas Jefferson

“Force [is] the vital principle and immediate parent of despotism.” –Thomas Jefferson: 1st Inaugural, 1801

When addressing these type of “progressives” I have begun educating them on how far they have strayed from the founding principles of our nation. Who knows, maybe they will begin to doubt just a little of their agenda…

in_awe on November 1, 2007 at 10:39 PM

“I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground that ‘all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states or to the people.’ To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, not longer susceptible of any definition.” —Thomas Jefferson

Speakup on November 2, 2007 at 1:07 AM

The only thing missing in the log of ‘Big Brother’ are the obligatory lines in the background that identify ‘Big Brother’s’ height, the placard under his chin with his name, date and place or booking, and finally a side profile.

Now you have the real picture of ‘Big Brother’.

MSGTAS on November 2, 2007 at 10:26 AM

My daughter was asked to head up a global warming project at WCC [part of U of Hawaii she declined].

TheSitRep on November 16, 2007 at 9:27 PM