Breaking: University of Delaware terminates its indoctrination program.

posted at 7:06 pm on November 1, 2007 by Bryan

Wow. The combination of FIRE + blogs proved to be too much for the University of Delaware.

Late Thursday, University of Delaware President Patrick Harker released on the school’s website a Message to the University of Delaware Community terminating the university’s ideological reeducation program, which FIRE condemned as an exercise in thought reform. He stated, “I have directed that the program be stopped immediately. No further activities under the current framework will be conducted.” Harker also called for a “full and broad-based review” of the program’s practices and purposes. While concerns remain about the University of Delaware’s commitment to free expression, FIRE commends President Harker for his decision to immediately terminate the Orwellian residence life education program. FIRE will have more on this development tomorrow.

The university president’s note reads in part:

While I believe that recent press accounts misrepresent the purpose of the residential life program at the University of Delaware, there are questions about its practices that must be addressed and there are reasons for concern that the actual purpose is not being fulfilled. It is not feasible to evaluate these issues without a full and broad-based review.

Upon the recommendation of Vice President for Student Life Michael Gilbert and Director of Residence Life Kathleen Kerr, I have directed that the program be stopped immediately. No further activities under the current framework will be conducted.

The program wasn’t “mischaracterized” by anyone other than the university itself, when it wrote that the program wasn’t mandatory. A plain reading of the program’s materials proved that beyond doubt.

Nevertheless, the program is dead, and that’s a very good thing.

Update: I think calls for a little Bruce Lee.

Update: I just received a nice note from FIRE’s Robert Shibley–

Thanks very much! And thanks again for your coverage of this – we were really impressed with both your coverage and with your commenters’ ability to dig up even more documents about the program and answer the counter-arguments. A lot of talent there!

Robert

You guys made a difference in this. Victory dance!

Update: By the way, FIRE’s Greg Lukianoff will be on Hannity & Colmes tonight. He was also on Glenn Beck earlier, and that’ll be re-run at 9 if you’d like to catch it.

Comments

This is GREAT news!

Nice to see the forces on the right get together to make things right!

Corky on November 1, 2007 at 7:10 PM

It was exposed for what it is: an attempt at mind control. Good job FIRE!

portlandbob on November 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM

I sent this to O’Reilly when it was first posted here. I wonder if they heard from his office before deciding to stop the program. If they didn’t hear from him, they made the right move at the right time – before it was on national TV.

Connie on November 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Sweet.

flipflop on November 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Woo hoo. Score one for the good guys.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Do you really think it’s dead? C’mon, these programs are perpetuated from the top down. More accurately it’s dormant, or hidden. The agenda is still there, and will probably be piggy backed onto some other, less vulgar sounding, mandatory program.

It’s like the corporate servitude (illegal immigration) campain, not dead, just not as visible.

Rode Werk on November 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM

Terrific job Fire! Now, what will all those socialist morons Pelosi clones do with their spare time. Transfer to Brown?

doufree on November 1, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Maybe now those kids can focus their efforts on more collegiate matters, like keg parties and panty raids.

RedWinged Blackbird on November 1, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Rode Werk on November 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM

You’re probably right, but in this war, there’s one battle that’s been won.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 7:18 PM

I agree with Rode Werk. The money quote from Patrick Harker is:

“Vice President Gilbert will work with the University Faculty Senate and others to determine the proper means by which residence life programs may support the intellectual, cultural and ethical development of our students.”

And we all know how they will define “develoment,” don’t we?

Kalapana on November 1, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Well, I’m glad that got shot down. BTW, did anyone elso know that George Washington was a famous Indian fighter?

boomer on November 1, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Wow — that was quick!

aunursa on November 1, 2007 at 7:24 PM

One University at a time.
We put up with so much; they put up with so little.
Randy

williars on November 1, 2007 at 7:27 PM

These Stalinist tactics won’t fade away, they’ll just find other ways to implement them.

stonemeister on November 1, 2007 at 7:28 PM

“…the actual purpose is not being fulfilled.”

Damn straight.

drjohn on November 1, 2007 at 7:29 PM

“Enter the Dragon”, best Bruce Lee movie EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rode Werk on November 1, 2007 at 7:31 PM

University of Delaware terminates its indoctrination program

Not good enough until the people that instituted this abomination and the people that allowed it in the first place are FIRED. We have had enough of this kind of crap and its time for heads to roll every time it happens.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Whoa! This was not what I expected! This is great news – although I admit I was sort of looking forward to seeing this program raked over the coals by O’Reilly and Rush and anyone else who might have been aware of this…

reine.de.tout on November 1, 2007 at 7:33 PM

I’m contributing to FIRE! This is great!

JellyToast on November 1, 2007 at 7:36 PM

I an squinting my eyes, is that from the light of reason.

TheSitRep on November 1, 2007 at 7:36 PM

tell us FIRE, HOTAIR… how does it feel to make a difference and see it happen?

Kaptain Amerika on November 1, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Light is a wonderful thing.

captivated_dem on November 1, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Connie on November 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM
Glen Beck just had it on his show.
Congratulations and good work to Fire and all bloggers and True Americans who are fighting this kind of absurdity. Another battle won for sanity.
I am proud to consider myself a proud, card carrying member of the Hot Air gaggle group.

abinitioadinfinitum on November 1, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Woot!

RobertCSampson on November 1, 2007 at 7:48 PM

This is just one of many battles we’re going to have to fight. We all need to keep our eyes on these Stalinist rats. They’ll try it again.

Sidenote – I can’t believe they tried to pull of something so blatant. It’s almost insulting to my intelligence. The arrogance is incredible. They really think they are untouchable and rule the world.

Scary.

moonbat monitor on November 1, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Connie on November 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Glen Beck just had it on his show.
I am proud to consider myself a proud, card carrying member of the Hot Air gaggle.

abinitioadinfinitum on November 1, 2007 at 7:51 PM

duh sorry

abinitioadinfinitum on November 1, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Congrats!

Too bad I already posted my diary at the Daily Kos about this today; I can’t update with this.

That’s okay, they were in full scale “This is A-Ok!” mode anyway. I knew their pleasant replies yesterday was a smoke screen.

Good for FIRE, and hopefully the U of Delaware doesn’t let this happen again. Of course, they will try to sneak it in.

And congrats to Bryan, as well. And HotAir.

Vanceone on November 1, 2007 at 7:53 PM

One down (for now, until the storm blows over), how many dozens or hundreds more to go?

Many of these concepts (such as the idea that whites must accept that simply being white is offensive to all non-whites) are also being taught in many public schools around the country under the rubric of “Culturally Proficient Instruction”. This is just the tip of it all coming to light.

eeyore on November 1, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Rode Werk on November 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM

And we all know how they will define “develoment,” don’t we?

Kalapana on November 1, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Makes sense; I’m sure they’d like to wait a bit and try again in another mode. But at least now they won’t forget that Little Blogosphere Brother’s watching them and that they won’t be able to get away with much cadoodoo from now on.

Isn’t it mind-blowing to imagine, in the thick of the current raging culture wars, how different the world would be without the tool of the Internet being used on both sides?

inviolet on November 1, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Woooh-hah!

The Re-education Camp is closed!

Another one bites the… dust.

Good work HA and all!

profitsbeard on November 1, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Tell us FIRE, HOTAIR… how does it feel to make a difference and see it happen?

Kaptain Amerika on November 1, 2007 at 7:38 PM

That wasn’t making a difference, that was a change for the better. You can fart and make a difference.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Good job. A victory for individual thought.

BadgerHawk on November 1, 2007 at 8:49 PM

I… Finally… Have… A… LOGIN!!! Ha ha ha, NOW I CAN POST COMMENTS! Too bad you lonely readers! I can post COMMENTS!!! After 2 years of just reading and never being able to say anything… Ok… Here goes… this feels soooo gooood… Uh… I don’t know what to say… AHHHH!

EdGruberman on November 1, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Seems that FIRE’s website is currently under a denial of service attack. The page comes up but you can’t browse the site. A form of infantile revenge I suppose, oh well, it won’t last.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 9:03 PM

EdGruberman on November 1, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Well as Morpheus said, “Welcome to the real world” :D

inviolet on November 1, 2007 at 9:12 PM

It will be back. They’ll just wait for the fire (as it were) to go out and they’ll bring it right back as if nothing happened. Leftists have no shame.

Warner Todd Huston on November 1, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Commies have taken over the education system in this country!! I hope they get sued by some of the students or their families!

build the wall on November 1, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Ahhh!
Immigration Reform–Defeated time and time again;
Liberal Hacks shouting down Conservatives–Exposed time and time again;
Liberal indoctrination at public universities–Exposed time and time again;

We’re on a roll here people! It’s time to build our power and establish the right blogosphere as a force to be reckoned with. However, we must maintain our grip on sanity. Unlike our lefty counterparts.

Troy Rasmussen on November 1, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Ed Gruberman-

Welcome to the fray, have your say.

So, what do you think of racism?

(Slip on your cyber Kevlar.)

profitsbeard on November 1, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Well as Morpheus said, “Welcome to the real world” :D

inviolet on November 1, 2007 at 9:12 PM

Perfect.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Ah, that would explain it. I hope it gets fixed soon so I can see the information on that page.

Darksean on November 1, 2007 at 10:14 PM

I love it when a plan comes together!

Even more evidence that corupt ideology cannot bear scrutiny under the bright light of reason. Three cheers!

Bob's Kid on November 1, 2007 at 10:23 PM

EdGruberman on November 1, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Well, welcome to our dysfunctional family!

Neocon Peg on November 1, 2007 at 10:38 PM

F.I.R.E. has quite the track record. The University of Delaware probably took a quick look at the cases they have won and decided that it would be foolish to pursue this. Anyone in college, or anyone that has children in college should familiarize themselves with what F.I.R.E. does.

Buford on November 1, 2007 at 10:42 PM

This is a serious indictment of a University of Delware to fold with so little defense of a university sponsored program so quickly. Following the posts it is scary tho think that any university adminstration could allow a progam whose intend is so obivously to “re-educate” the body student in a narrowly defined, polically correct dogma is beyond belief. The University of Delware should make mandatory the reading of “1984″ and other readings which suggest mind any form of collective mind control is anything but acceptable. Shame of the U of D(evilish) thoughts. This is truely a scary development in the educational landscape.

jimwesty on November 1, 2007 at 10:51 PM

I’ve just donated to FIRE. I believe in what they do. If we are to take back our country from these communist/marxist universities/colleges/professors, we need to know who they are, and what they are up to and I believe FIRE does that. Our children are our future. Don’t let them be indoctrinated with communist/marxist philosophy. Please! Fight Back! F.I.R.E. will help!

Neocon Peg on November 1, 2007 at 10:52 PM

It’s nice, no encouraging to see the internet produce something other than pron and insane lefties.

Great job you guys!

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 10:57 PM

EdGruberman on November 1, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Welcome aboard the good ship HotAir Ed.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 11:08 PM

The only thing that concerns me is that this will go down the memory hole only to be resurrected later.

Just like Seattle Public Schools, they’ll take down the site but they’ll keep the policy.

BKennedy on November 1, 2007 at 11:08 PM

So now I ask the question will Joe Biden get a bump in the polls after this.

sonnyspats1 on November 1, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Hm? I can browse it fine, so it must have been fixed.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 11:17 PM

I just read this page on Fire’s website, excellent stuff. If you would like to understand aspects of so call discrimination law that you will never see in the mainstream media, I recommend you give it a read.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Yeah, it’s working fine now. Maybe it was just my connection before, don’t know.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 11:20 PM

but with so many people assisting in this, who will Keith Olberman tag as the Worst Person in the World?

sulla on November 1, 2007 at 11:20 PM

sulla on November 1, 2007 at 11:20 PM

(old monster movie music) AND TODAYS WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD, THE EVIL RIGHTWING BLOGOPHERE WHO IN A CONTORTED RAGE EXPOSED A FINE PROGRAM OF TOLERANCE AND UNDERSTANDING, WHO’S TREATHS OF LAW SUITS AND NANA NANA NANA I’M TELLING ON YOU BEHAVIOUR FORCED THE U of D TO PREMATURELY END THIS FINE PROGRAM. THERE BY LEAVING HUNDREDS OF YOUNG MINDS, FUTURE LEADERS, WITH NO WAY TO UNDERSTAND THE IMPACT THEIR VERY WHITNESS HAS ON OTHERS, SO FOR BEING THE CATILIST FOR THE UNTIMELY DEMISE OF THE RESIDENCE LIFE EDUCATION PROGRAM THE RIGHT WING BLOGOPHERE IS TODAY’S WORST… PERSON… IN… THE… WORLD!!!!
(/end old monster movie music)

Gwillie on November 2, 2007 at 12:10 AM

Another site to look at for an agenda being pushed by an association made of educators.

Take a look at this page and browse the html versions of their position papers.

Yup that nameorg.org  I just said the were educators I never said they were smart.

CommentGuy on November 2, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Call me a pessimist (by which I mean Allah), but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was “dismantled” now that the heat is on, only to buy time for a retooling. They aren’t just going to throw out a program that they have spent time and money developing, and in which they believe in, after such a short fight, are they?

Maybe they capitulate to the pressure now until they can come back with something equally ridiculous, but twice as sneaky. I think FIRE, Bryan, and others will be vigilant to spot it, however. I just don’t think next time UD will put their documents online.

Also – how many other schools?

nailinmyeye on November 2, 2007 at 2:54 AM

Also – how many other schools?

nailinmyeye on November 2, 2007 at 2:54 AM

Considering this is SOP for this crap, which cannot stand the light of day, probably dozens, if not hundreds.

But of course, never enough for the peddlers of this garbage to admit whites do not control everything.

BKennedy on November 2, 2007 at 3:07 AM

This happens everywhere, Big Ten, Big East, SEC…

They will just change the name, they won’t be stopped by “morons and uneducated slobs”.

They’re much too smart for that. They must prove they’re right.

benrand on November 2, 2007 at 4:59 AM

EdGruberman on November 1, 2007 at 8:59 PM

The world is fresh and clean, like after a spring rain.

But remember, if you team up with the militant atheists, we will roast your liver and eat it with some fava beans and a nice chianti…

Oh, and everything you say here can and will be tracked down via Haloscan to your home pc’s ip address and if you say something ill-tempered you might get fired from your job and your cat might end up … ill.

Welcome.

Jaibones on November 2, 2007 at 7:40 AM

As for the dedicated servants of higher education in Delaware, I think you guys are looking at this all wrong. My take is that, upon realizing that the altruistic intentions of this high-minded program to learn and, indeed, to teach had been somehow misconstrued, the University officials were honor-bound to immediately suspend those activities. And so they have.

They will attempt to regain control of the program so that all members of the diverse University of Delaware community might benefit in the future.

Ahem.

Jaibones on November 2, 2007 at 7:44 AM

No further activities under the current framework will be conducted.

Translation;

We got caught, so we’re going to create a new framework to do the same thing that is more lawyer-proof.

Expect future U of D students to be handed “voluntary consent” forms to be signed to allow them to participate in “the full range of campus/extracurricular activities under the supervision of the faculty”.

“Voluntary”, of course, being NewSpeak for “compulsory”.

After which, if anyone points out that “re-education” is proceeding apace, the administration will simply wave the forms around and sneer, “they volunteered”.

It isn’t enough that this program was “discontinued”. This program, and any similar programs on any campus in the country, need to be prohibited. By Federal law.

And those who attempt to create them need to be (1) fired, (2) permanently lose all chance of tenure, anywhere, and (3) preferably face heavy fines and/or jail time.

No, I personally do not like the idea of “federalizing” anything. But these universities are, increasingly, less agents of their states, and servants of those who have entrusted their children to them, than agents of a political movement and dogma. Which is the one thing they were never supposed to be under any circumstances.

If they intend to so routinely violate the basic tenets under which they were founded, they should have to face the consequences of having done so.

cheers

eon

eon on November 2, 2007 at 8:04 AM

I don’t believe this story for a minute. I mean, seriously…there are people in Delaware? :-D

crushliberalism on November 2, 2007 at 8:36 AM

ummm Bryan…..you said victory dance…..but i see no robot

pmoshields on November 2, 2007 at 8:40 AM

eon on November 2, 2007 at 8:04 AM

Thank you, my un-optimistic friend. I agree with you that this will come back with a different name, in a slightly changed form, a little lower under the radar.

nailinmyeye on November 2, 2007 at 9:00 AM

They needed to. If they intended to warn students against the dominance mentality demonstrated by European Americans, they approached it the wrong way. They should have focused on the statistical demographical facts of our economy and why they are what they are. Then they could sort out the contributing factors and what criticism is phony and what is real.

saiga on November 2, 2007 at 9:15 AM

victory dance!… cue Charlie Brown music ! ….

max1 on November 2, 2007 at 9:50 AM

EdGruberman on November 1, 2007 at 8:59 PM

And, here’s your boot to the head.

TexasDan on November 2, 2007 at 9:54 AM

This is proof of a couple things:
1) Bill Gates was right all along – he should be recogized for being the visionary he is. Without the Internet we would all still be pawns of the Government and the mainstream media.
2) The Internet MUST stay free and unpoliced in order to have a free society.
3) The Mainstream Media, such as; newspapers, television, radio, satellite, should be accessible to the proletariat and not just to the rich.
It should be LAW that individuals from every community around the country have free and accessible airtime, print area, and frequency bands.
The Internet is our only and last refuge, if we don’t recodnize the power of it, we’re all going to stay sheep forever.

KMC1 on November 2, 2007 at 11:52 AM

There is a decent editorial about this in the Wilmington News Journal:

Some highlights:
A report from the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education showed that the university’s residential life program made a mockery of intellectual freedom in the way it treated students living in its dormitories.

Students were subjected to what can only be called intimidation and indoctrination on the issues of race and sexual identity.

College spokesmen at furst downplayed the matter by claiming some lower-ranking officials went too far or that such meetings were not mandatory.

That’s not what students said. Students were told the meetings were required. If they didn’t show up, there were confrontations with residence officials or e-mails asking where they were.

That was not teaching tolerance. It was an abuse of power. Thankfully, it’s gone.

MikeHu on November 2, 2007 at 12:13 PM

OK, Now contrast that editorial above, with the way the same newspaper’s news staff covered it (same day).
Lots of “balanced” coverage (meaning bending over backwards to find anything favorable on behalf of the administration) suggesting that the news staff didn’t bother to read the actual documents (although they must have; apparently they’re just not relevant to the story). They make it seem as if you have an administration policy under attack by partisans. I wonder how Professor Blits, who is quoted as supporting FIRE, will be treated now by the UD professoriet.

They’ll be back; after all there’s a revolucion to be won.

MikeHu on November 2, 2007 at 12:26 PM

This article from the Philadelphia Inquirer is much better, with many interviews with students, and it’s clear that the news staff read the original documents of the UD’s “Whole New World Training”:

Here’s a good one from the article:
One student identified in a write-up as an RA’s “worst” was a young woman who said she was tired of having “diversity shoved down her throat” and that the questions that were being asked were nobody’s business.

Another “worst” student who was angry about the program was said to be “very set in her ways – to the point of annoyance.”

What is totally clear from this article is how weasly, slimy and absurd are the university administration’s pleas of “mis-steps” and “misunderstandings” and “nothing was mandatory.”

MikeHu on November 2, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Good work, FIRE.

So much more to do. You’ve got my support.

petefrt on November 2, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Keep up the pressure, FIRE. Because:

No further activities under the current framework will be conducted.

Now it’ll just be much, much more subtle. Like “you are going to the march for , aren’t you?”

crazy_legs on November 2, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Dang HTML tags!! It meant to be

Now it’ll just be much, much more subtle. Like “you are going to the march for [insert current lib cause o' the day here], aren’t you?”

crazy_legs on November 2, 2007 at 1:23 PM

This all goes back to their view that being anything other than them is some kind of sickness or mental deficancy. I like to bring up as an example the “study” conducted over 20 or so years that said kids in pre-school who were crybabies grew up to be uptight, mean, repressed conservitives; and the ones who weren’t grew up to be independant-thinking, self-sufficiant, and oh-so-attractive libs. BTW, that was conducted in Berkley so take it for what it’s worth.

If you start with the premise that conservatism isn’t an opinion or world-view but a sickness, it becomes far too easy to go from trying to have an ideological discussion to Stalinst reeducation camps. Scary stuff.

crazy_legs on November 2, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Great news, but I have to take issue with Mr. President:

My suspicion is that recent press accounts represented the program very well; Mr. President just can’t accept (take note, libs!) that (1) his students just might not need to be re-educated, (2) it’s not the school’s job, and (3) good intentions don’t preclude crappy execution.

saint kansas on November 2, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Rejoice now, but it’s only one battle in a much larger war. Another pseudo-intellectual will try to pull the same crap somewhere else. Why? Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on November 2, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Woo hoo. Score one for the good guys.

Ryan Gandy on November 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM

It’s inappropriate to cheer at this point. Do you think the enemy has given up? Do you think that this is some kind of basketball game where each side is tallying up points? It doesn’t work that way! They measure their success in terms of numbers of minds that they’ve managed to warp to their weird religion. If this program fails, then they’ll wait until they can spring a new one — next time, it’ll be craftier and more sinister.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Who created this evil program at Delaware? I want to see names. I want to see someone ask the president of that University if he believes that all white people are irredeemably racist, and, if not, then how in good conscience could he allow such a program to occur under his nose (incompetence?).

Loundry on November 2, 2007 at 3:27 PM