Video: Fred Phelps and Rick Sanchez yell at each other over Snyder suit

posted at 9:37 pm on October 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

Portrait of a man on the hook for $11 million. The “indignant interviewer hollers at the Phelpses” segment is a news genre all its own, the most memorable example being Julie Banderas shooting her professionalism out the airlock and berating Phelps’s daughter for several minutes last year. Sanchez is cooler, letting Phelps hang himself with his own rope. Between his semi-coherent complaints about the government shutting him down for preaching as opposed to crashing funerals to gloat over the deceased, you can see the kernel of his appeal — a First Amendment claim along the lines of the one I discussed in the earlier Snyder thread. Read that post if you haven’t yet to see what his chances are of winning.

Comments

What a piece of work!

Zorro on October 31, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Gotta hand it to CNN.* Gotta hand it to Rick Sanchez for keeping his cool. Gotta hand it to talk radio hosts, who deal with filibusters like this every single weekday.

Repost; late to other thread:

Wonder what Al Gore must be thinking tonight.

Gore (quoted by the Nashville Tennessean in 1984 saying homosexuality is not “an acceptable alternative that society should affirm”)… reportedly sought the support of the Phelps family in his 1988 presidential campaign, and invited the Phelps’ to the Clinton-Gore inaugurations of January 1993 and January 1997.

* I hope I don’t wake up a day or two from now and find out that this was just some vile way for CNN to smear the entire Christian Right with this freak’s beliefs and behaviour.

RushBaby on October 31, 2007 at 9:57 PM

I wonder what the viewers over in CNN’s leftists cocoon are doing when they see this? Maybe if the left hadn’t nutured these type lunatics, they wouldn’t have to watch them when they get what they deserve.

2008 is going to be an awakening for the left in the US.

tarpon on October 31, 2007 at 9:58 PM

You know ALL the Phelps family are required to get a law degree. I did a paper on the WBC and good ole Fred a few years ago. Fred is a absolute douchebag, but he did indoctrinate, with success, all but two of his kids and they all have law degrees.

They know the law and odds are that this ruling probably will not be upheld upon appeal.

Sammy316 on October 31, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Julie Banderas shooting her professionalism out the airlock

However, she kept a firm grip on her humanity. I have no problem for that.

Buford on October 31, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Ah, the head of the Westboro Bastards Church Fred Phelps! What a bottom-feeding waste of skin! I have predicted that one day he and his evil followers will protest the wrong soldier’s family.

Gatordoug on October 31, 2007 at 10:11 PM

That Phelps guy and his evil, despicable daughter are absolutely insane.

flipflop on October 31, 2007 at 10:13 PM

I support our nation’s military and I’m a gay man, but I hope WBC wins its appeal. People have a right to say hateful things, as long they don’t prevent others from saying what they need to say. On the other hand, the campus leftist who won’t let David Horowitz speak should be punished. It’s not because of what they say. It’s because they refuse others the right to speak and be heard.

thuja on October 31, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Generally, I am a conservative/libertarian kind of guy.

But in this case I sure wish there was no Separation of Church and State solely so that the federal government may intervene and prosecute pseudo-Christian Fred Phelps for false advertising. For Phelps claims to be a “Christian” and a follower of the Bible.

And this is false advertising.

ColtsFan on October 31, 2007 at 10:23 PM

thuja on October 31, 2007 at 10:17 PM

I agree they have the right. I did one of my columns on it. I also agree that expressing such opinions sometimes has VERY serious consequences.
If someone did this at a loved one’s funeal, God help them if I can reach them.

Gatordoug on October 31, 2007 at 10:23 PM

What a piece of work!

Zorro on October 31, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Well, a piece of something, anyway.

Splunge on October 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Julie Banderas shooting her professionalism out the airlock

Hey I’m in love with Julie Banderas, that haunting beauty!

Hilts on October 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Hilts on October 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM

She is very hot!

Gatordoug on October 31, 2007 at 10:26 PM

I watched Banderas loose it and don’t fault her at all.

KBird on October 31, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Remember bimbo Charlzie Theron (she of the IQ of an ashtray) telling Rick Sanchez who dared to question why she thinks that Cuba is as free as America

I so want to make out with you right now.

Hilts on October 31, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Gatourdog

She is very hot!

Yes she is. I would give a months salary to spend quality time with her. I always tape her weekend show every Saturday and Sunday. She also is somewhat conservative. My other favorite female on Fox (now with the local Fox news) is Juliet Huddey.

Hilts on October 31, 2007 at 10:34 PM

I really wish that there would be no more interviews with any of the Phelps family. Interviews merely give them another forum from which they can spout their vile spew, and I have yet to hear an interview in which any of them can make any reasonable points. Makes good television, yes, but the less attention provided these loons, the better.

Kimmer on October 31, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Sammy316 on October 31, 2007 at 10:06 PM

I dunno. Imagine the implications if the Phelps decision were overturned. Any event could be disrupted for any reason at any time and there is nothing anyone could do about it.

In the meantime, I can’t help but wonder of Phelps ever heard of Bildad the Shuhite or Zophar the Naamathite.

GT on October 31, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Good Job Rick Sanchez. . . Now go take a long shower.

Texyank on October 31, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Juliet Huddey.

Hilts on October 31, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Nice looking girl there too. You know who I used to really like a few years ago? Joie Chen on CNN! Incredible eyes.

Gatordoug on October 31, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Fred Phelps is only standing up for his religious beliefs.

He’s no different from believers in the myth that some guy rose from the dead taking upon his shoulders the sins of the world.

They have more tact, that’s about it.

mylegsareswollen on October 31, 2007 at 10:44 PM

mylegsareswollen on October 31, 2007 at 10:44 PM

You had to reach FAR FAR FAR for that bit of intellectual bankruptcy

Gatordoug on October 31, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Gatordoug

I also like Lauren Green who is ow the Religion correspondent for Fox News.

Hilts on October 31, 2007 at 10:49 PM

I watched Banderas loose it and don’t fault her at all.

KBird on October 31, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Yeah, I can’t fault her either. It’s hard to remain calm around people like the Phelps. The first thing that comes to mind with them is myself with a large rock smashing in their skulls one by one. Not exactly civilized but a satifying fantasy.

Yakko77 on October 31, 2007 at 10:50 PM

mylegsareswollen on October 31, 2007 at 10:44 PM

FAIL

Bad Candy on October 31, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Hilts on October 31, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Hmm she is not my cup of tea, Laurie Dhue now WHEW!

Gatordoug on October 31, 2007 at 10:52 PM

Fred Phelps is only standing up for his religious beliefs.

They have more tact, that’s about it.

mylegsareswollen on October 31, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Also, FAIL

Bad Candy on October 31, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Bad Candy on October 31, 2007 at 10:51 PM

\

LOVE IT!!

Gatordoug on October 31, 2007 at 10:53 PM

I really think that it’s the nature of America to allow people to believe whatever it is they want to believe. Hey, people are still frigging Nazis and talk about killing Jews and blacks, etc. As distasteful as that is to me, it’s a free country, blah, blah, blah.

But demonstrating at a guy’s FUNERAL? That’s just beyond the pale. This Phelps man is no Christian, as far as I’m concerned.

mjk on October 31, 2007 at 10:53 PM

mylegsareswollen on October 31, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Clue: Come visit again when you have completed Freshman Level Athiesm: Style 101, Secularish Grace 101, Substance 101, etc.

RushBaby on October 31, 2007 at 11:00 PM

Allahpundit

Please Allah… if there was ever a person that needed to be berated, it was Phelps’ daughter in that interview. I cheered Julie Banderas for standing up to that despicable woman. This is also some fairly major hypocrisy on your part considering the flak you give Tom Tancredo, Jerome Corsi, Lou Dobbs and other that certaintly don’t deserve the beratings you dish out.

Maxx on October 31, 2007 at 11:37 PM

Anytime there is knowledge that Phelps is going to show up, there should be bagpipers, trumpeteers, drummers…who show up immediately to stand between them and the family.

Connie on November 1, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Connie on November 1, 2007 at 12:06 AM

This would be better.

Bad Candy on November 1, 2007 at 12:16 AM

Connie on November 1, 2007 at 12:06 AM
Bad Candy on November 1, 2007 at 12:16 AM

Actually, the Patriot Guard does a pretty great job.

eeyore on November 1, 2007 at 12:42 AM

Better yet, Patriot Guard riders. I am one, though the Phelps’ don’t seem to show up in these parts. I almost wish they would.

Pablo on November 1, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Better yet, Patriot Guard riders. I am one…
Pablo on November 1, 2007 at 12:44 AM

As soon as I get a new cage, I’ll be joining up in NC.

eeyore on November 1, 2007 at 1:17 AM

thuja on October 31, 2007 at 10:17 PM

This guy wasn’t exercising free speech, he was engaged in purposely trying to hurt people. Well, he succeeded. The problem is he expected that hurt to turn people towards his teachings when it motivated them to sue his sorry ass.

Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it.

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 2:23 AM

May God strike down Fred and Shirley Phelps.

georgej on November 1, 2007 at 4:21 AM

At the funeral of northern Illinois Patriot Guard ride leader Greg Bowman, some half dozen of Phelp’s people dared to show up. There were over 300 PG riders there. The half-dozen assholes were kept one block away. A fire truck was placed between the little patch of sidewalk where they were permitted to stand, and the church. And the church’s carillon drowned out their pathetic cries of hatred. The police were present and were watching to insure that they remained far away from the church.

I looked for them when the service was over, but the useless pricks were nowhere to be found.

I hope that when Mr. Synder gets done, Phelps and his asshole daughter and sons are left shoeless and in their underwear.

New sign: God Hates Phelps.

georgej on November 1, 2007 at 4:37 AM

we should take the Phelps family over to downtown Baghdad and drop them off. We’ll see if his god will save them because they are not evil ‘fags’… what a tool.

BadBrad on November 1, 2007 at 7:53 AM

BadBrad on November 1, 2007 at 7:53 AM

Yeah, good idea. I have seen Hannity shut that crazy 8itch down a couple of times by pointing out to her that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and then ask her what her sin is. She doesn’t know how to respond to that bit of scriptural inconvenience.

I know everyone already knows this, but I want everyone to remember this thread the next time we hear Colmesy and the rest of the libs complain about the kooks on the right. I know Phelps is a democrat, but they are perceived to be part of the right because they are a “church”. But we here are castigating these loons where as the left do not castigate their loons, but rather make excuses for them.

Liberalism is a psychological disorder.

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 9:01 AM

I understand the media’s reasonings for having him on, and I know Phelps is a smart person. But when you get on the air and say things like, my butt as well as telling the reporter he has been brainwashed. You really aren’t helping your case at all.

pb5000 on November 1, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Was this trail about rights or damage?

Wade on November 1, 2007 at 9:29 AM

thuja on October 31, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Your right, people do have a right to say hateful things. The 4th circuit appeals court will have to keep their ruling very narrow if they intend to uphold the lower court. They might do exactly that, then again they could reverse for Phelps. The case could go either way and if the court isn’t very careful it could damage free speech.

The good thing is that the 4th circuit is a pretty good court and I am somewhat hopeful that they will find a way to nail Phelps and protect free speech at the same time. We will see.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 9:51 AM

It’s times like this that I fully support WaterBoarding.

On the whole Phelps clan and supporters

Kini on November 1, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Freedom of speech is a right that should be protected even when bottom feeders are corrupting it for their own evil purposes. It’s a concept that can be legislated.

Too bad compassion and good taste can’t.

NoSquids on November 1, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Someone needs to give Phelps a filthy sanchez and be done with it!

sonnyspats1 on November 1, 2007 at 3:45 PM

The Phelps gang reminds me of the Woodland Critters of South Park fame. Am I the only one?

TBinSTL on November 1, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Someone needs to give Phelps a filthy sanchez and be done with it!

sonnyspats1 on November 1, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Was about to ask what that was but had to google MILF the other day from a comment and now greatly regret it. Nope, forget it; don’t wanna know.

inviolet on November 1, 2007 at 5:22 PM

OK, you people spouting about freedom of speech are out of line. Phelps was sued for publishing false and defamatory information about the soldier and his family. Phelps published multiple stories on multiple websites about the soldier’s family that just weren’t true. Freedom of speech has never protected this.

Also, Phelp’s crowd showed up uninvited at a private event and intentionally caused mental anguish. Freedom of speech does not and should not cover this either.

Freedom of speech just doesn’t give you the right to say what ever you want, where ever you want. You just can’t show up at private events, or even some public ones, and disrupt and claim freedom of speech. Show up in the gallery of the House or Senate sometime and cause a serious disruption and then try and see how far a freedom of speech defense gets you.

Buford on November 1, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Buford on November 1, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Thanks for the information, I sure didn’t know about the defamatory stories. If that’s the case the 4th circuit should AFFIRM, no problem. I hope so.

Maxx on November 1, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Shirley Phelps has had an out-of-wedlock child–that’s what shuts her up.

Kimmer on November 1, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Jeez you can smell the brimstone after listening to that.

AprilOrit on November 1, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Exactly and they started this crap with Matthew Shepard. That’s what started it all. They showed up in Laramie, they are portrayed in “The Laramie Project”. The mourners dressed as angels and spread their wings to cover the Phelps Family so they would not get airtime with their filthy signs in front of the TV cameras covering the funeral.

And the Phelps traveled around the country protesting the damn play, thaty’s how completely sick they really are. He talks about 1st Amendment Rights but goes across the country protesting theater.

AprilOrit on November 1, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Generally, I am a conservative/libertarian kind of guy.

And this is false advertising.

ColtsFan on October 31, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Nowhere in our Constitution does it say there will be a separation of church and state. The idea is simply forwarded by the ACLU to squeeze out god.

The Constitution wants to keep religion in government…but not government in religion.

Black Adam on November 2, 2007 at 11:03 AM

These Phelps…they need to be taken to the vet and put down.

thejackal on November 2, 2007 at 5:10 PM

If this is upheld, I can see this soldier’s family hounding the Phelps’ family for every nickel they have from here to eternity. Just like OJ Simpson is hounded by his ex-wife’s family. Don’t tell me they have no money. They have enough money to travel the United States to protest these funerals — that money should go towards that judgment. They should only have enough money to live off of – no more. Am I dreaming or could this become reality?

Neocon Peg on November 3, 2007 at 9:29 PM