L.A. Times Editor Denies Having Heard About the Sex Scandal Story — And I Believe Him

posted at 11:10 pm on October 31, 2007 by Patterico

This morning Allah linked that rumor that the L.A. Times is sitting on a sex scandal involving a leading presidential candidate. I tried nosing around a little, and asked Matt Welch about it. Matt is an Assistant Editorial Pages Editor for the paper, and a rare breed: an L.A. Times editor whom I trust. He is honest, smart, and plugged in — and he is definitely not part of the stuffy liberal old guard at the paper. (For example, he recently published a great book about John McCain which ridicules the myth that McCain is a straight-talking maverick.) Here’s what Matt said to me:

I can tell you the following — I have never, ever, ever, never, ever, ever, ever heard anything about this. And I spent last week in Washington DC, worked in the LAT bureau, went to parties with LAT muckety-mucks, and gossiped with dozens of people who cover presidential politics; none of whom ever so much as mentioned anything about it. Rosenbaum’s single, anonymous source is most certainly wrong, at least about the “everyone knows” part. He also most certainly is wrong that the same “everyone” apparently “doesn’t know what to do with it” — seasoned political journalists are not helpless bystanders in the face of juicy rumors, they are specifically trained to go out and investigate them, and report when relevant.

As for Rosenbaum’s agonizing over “reporting” such a thing, I don’t have much respect for it. Either report or don’t; save us the handwringing about stooping to “Web 2.0″ whateverthehell.

You can quote me on all of that.

He left a comment on my site saying something similar, here.

This doesn’t mean the rumor isn’t true, but it’s the way to bet.

Comments

Some women like peaches and cream kisses.

Hillary digs alfalfa.

mylegsareswollen on October 31, 2007 at 11:14 PM

Killjoy! We all had a lot of fun this morning in the world of baseless speculation, and you go and ruin it with you friends who would actually know about these things. Couldn’t you have at least waited until Thursday morning to act as a cold shower? Oh well. At least that is one less thing csdeven can pin on Fred!

Weight of Glory on October 31, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Non-story of the day

Gatordoug on October 31, 2007 at 11:18 PM

A rumor can travel halfway round the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on October 31, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Dont know. Isnt Oprah having a problem with a sex scandal at the school she backs ?

William Amos on October 31, 2007 at 11:26 PM

Comment from Patterico’s site:

Huma Abedin lived most of her life in Saudi, her parents are tied to various Wahabbist nutcases.

Six degrees of Osama?

Comment by Jim Rockford — 10/31/2007 @ 4:59 pm

Wonder if there is any truth to the Wahabbist part.

Connie on October 31, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Yeah, well… fake but accurate is good enough. Just ask Dan.

bofh on October 31, 2007 at 11:39 PM

i dont think the hillary is a lesbian attack is gonna work, lgf has it up right now.

zane on November 1, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Yeah, well… fake but accurate is good enough. Just ask Dan.

bofh on October 31, 2007 at 11:39 PM

And we have a winner…

Pilgrim on November 1, 2007 at 12:11 AM

It would Huma-nize Hillary were it true.

Who wouldn’t sympathize with her a little after the decades of trashy behavior from the “Creep” (Lewinski’s word for the B.J. in Chief)?

profitsbeard on November 1, 2007 at 12:12 AM

zane on November 1, 2007 at 12:05 AM

Unless lgf can deliver the goods they are going to end up with all the gravitas of a shopping market tabloid rag.

MB4 on November 1, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Yeah, well… fake but accurate is good enough. Just ask Dan.

bofh on October 31, 2007 at 11:39 PM

And we have a winner…

Pilgrim on November 1, 2007 at 12:11 AM

I agree and in bofh’s honor I will do a ditty.

I’m a loser
I’m a loser
And I’m not what I appear to be

Of all the stories I have won or have lost
there is one story I should never have come across
It was a document in a million, my friend
I should have known it would turn out to be forged in the end

I’m a loser
And I lost an anchorship that was dear to me
I’m a loser
And I’m not what I appear to be

Although I talk and I act like I’ve been all around
Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown
My tears are falling like rain from the sky
Is it for my anchorship and myself that I cry

I’m a loser
And I lost an anchorship that was so dear to me
I’m a loser
And I’m not what I appear to be

What have I done to deserve such a fate
I realized the document was forged but it was by then too late
And so it’s true, pride comes before a fall
I’m telling you so that you won’t lose all

I’m a loser
And I lost an anchorship that was dear to me
I’m a loser
And I’m not what I appear to be

MB4 on November 1, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Hillary doesn’t strike me as the type that thinks about or cares about sex. If I were to bet on the the last time Hillary had sex I would say when Chelsea was conceived and I’m sure she didn’t enjoy it.

lowandslow on November 1, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Interesting. If the denial was coming from almost any other newspaper (save NYT, Atlanta J/C, SF Chronicle) I might be inclined to believe him. They have every reason to bury this story. Sorry, I’m jaded and cynical.

SouthernGent on November 1, 2007 at 1:05 AM

*titter* “Fashionably dressed” Huma is known for her taste in bags *titter*

/*{splutter – hack}

I have my composure back now, sorry ’bout that.

RushBaby on November 1, 2007 at 1:11 AM

(Lewinski’s word for the B.J. in Chief)?

profitsbeard on November 1, 2007 at 12:12 AM

IIRC, she bragged to Tripp on one of the tapes, that she had actually called him “But-t-head” –possibly, I just can’t remember, to his face, maybe during one of the phone calls. Of all the things that struck me about that whole episode, it was the President of the United States getting himself in a position to be called a name like that in a tawdry tape-recording by an intern whose flirtation he had not the self-control to spurn.

RushBaby on November 1, 2007 at 1:16 AM

lowandslow on November 1, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Counting utensils?

91Veteran on November 1, 2007 at 1:45 AM

Oh well. At least that is one less thing csdeven can pin on Fred!

Weight of Glory on October 31, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Fred has effectively already admitted he is/was a man whore. We just don’t know if he was a bi man whore.

csdeven on November 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM

More than a rumor, more than a rumor to me
More than a rumor, more than a rumor to me
More than a rumor, oh, oh, oh.
- BG’s

Rep. Shuler to Introduce Enforcement-Only Bill Soon

(October 31) A new immigration enforcement bill that would remove the jobs magnet for illegal immigration is expected to be introduced in the House very soon. The SAVE Act (Secure America with Verification Enforcement) will be sponsored by Rep. Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) and is expected to have bi-partisan support. NumbersUSA believes this bill originating on the Democratic side of the House is just the vehicle to give us a chance to actually pass immigration legislation through a Democratic-controlled Congress that would significantly improve the lives of most Americans. Specifically, The SAVE Act would eventually require every employee in America to go through the E-Verify system, identifying all illegal aliens and removing any “glitches” that once allowed them to pass through the system and into the workforce undetected.

MB4 on November 1, 2007 at 2:32 AM

Go to bed cs, you need your beauty sleep!

MB4 on November 1, 2007 at 2:33 AM

from Luke ford.com via an LGF link on this story:

“On p.41 of Flowers’ autobiography “Gennifer Flowers: Passion and Betrayal”, Gennifer asked Bill if there was any truth to the rumor that Hillary was having an affair with another woman. Bill laughed and said (referring to Hillary): “Honey – she’s probably eaten more p—y than I have.”

Ohh baby… this is gonna be fun.

Always Right on November 1, 2007 at 6:38 AM

My apologies to anyone offended by the crudeness of the Billy Boy quote above….

Always Right on November 1, 2007 at 7:03 AM

Although I do not wish to engage in this conversation…I can’t help myself. In the Chicago radio market there was an afternoon team of local guys, Roe Conn (now has the WLS show to himself) and Gary Meier. Roe and Gary.

Gary was a refuge from the Steve Dahl and Gary Meier show, low brow stuff but not withouth talent. Roe is a pretty smart guy.

The single funniest bit that I ever heard them do was about Hillary being a lesbian, and the various quotes from Bill on the subject and their own prurient conjecture on her partners. I had to pull off the road I was laughing so hard. Gotta dig up a recording of that.

Jaibones on November 1, 2007 at 8:47 AM

Hillary and Huma… hmmmm…more than 1,000 google hits.

Ex-tex on November 1, 2007 at 9:15 AM

Ok…then how about a story on how frigid she is instead? Speaking of cold…here’s a little jingle to remember for the next 13 months called “Hillary of the Bells” whose revised lyrics follow to the tune of “Carol of the bells.”

Kokonut on November 1, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Go to bed cs, you need your beauty sleep!

MB4 on November 1, 2007 at 2:33 AM

If he sleeps that long they’ll bury him.

Kowboy on November 1, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Playing with fire on this one.
If it is true, she gets sympathy.
If it is false, she gets sympathy.

No way to win down this path.

sweeper on November 1, 2007 at 9:29 AM

In related news, Larry Flynt has claimed to be sitting on a “shocking” story about another senator that he’s supposedly planning to drop in the next week or two. I guess we’ll see. Ah, our crap politics…

CP on November 1, 2007 at 9:40 AM

gets sympathy???!! for what?

Ex-tex on November 1, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Do ya think this is why she was so ‘off her game’ on tuesday night’s debate?

Ex-tex on November 1, 2007 at 10:00 AM

gets sympathy???!! for what?

Ex-tex on November 1, 2007 at 9:40 AM

They will easily turn it into male dominated anti-feminist VRW conspiracy.

“What’s the matter with these people?” they will ask “Can’t a successful woman mentor another woman without these types of accusations?”

Look, unless the other woman confirms, there is no way that this is going to look like anything other than deranged haters.

Jokes will fly, and there will be funny ones. But at the end of the day the jokes will be on us.

sweeper on November 1, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Like I said in the other thread about this, I would not be surprised at all if we find out one day that Hillary is a lesbian. Despite her denial a few years ago (just like her husband’s infamous denial, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman…), my spider-sense has been tingling about this one for years.

Doesn’t matter, though. Even if it came out and she admitted it, I don’t see it hurting her. Everyone knows her marriage is a sham, and everyone assumes that since Bill has been fooling around for decades, Hillary’s either frigid or having affairs herself. No one will be shocked if it turns out to be true. The only problem she’d have with it is that she did deny it to a gay magazine reporter, and the GLBT crowd would probably be angry that she didn’t take that opportunity to proudly claim her true sexual orientation. But they’d get over it quickly at the prospect of having the first gay president (that we know of).

aero on November 1, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Crap! All that speculation for nothing. Oh well, so it goes.

OBX Pete on November 1, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Oh, and it occurs to me that Hillary may not have technically lied to that gay mag reporter when she said she’s not gay. If it turns out that she’s bi, she didn’t actually lie, right? ;-)

aero on November 1, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Crap! All that speculation for nothing. Oh well, so it goes.

OBX Pete on November 1, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Hey, don’t let it ruin your day. Wild, unfounded speculation is fun! You don’t need even a glimmer of truth to enjoy this game. Just ask the MSM how they “report” on Republicans. It must be a laugh-riot in their conference rooms some days.

aero on November 1, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Why would a nice looking woman like Huma do Hillary? Ewww….

Halley on November 1, 2007 at 10:30 AM

Hillary is desperate to change the narrative. Even a sex scandal would be better than a shift in the conventional wisdom arising out of her debate debacle.

Anil Petra on November 1, 2007 at 10:39 AM

I don’t believe this lesbian Hillary stuff. Could someone so focused for years on becoming President leave themselves open to such a scandal? Why, Bill…never mind.

Doug on November 1, 2007 at 10:39 AM

It’s really strange that Hillary gets better looking women than Slick Willie.

stenwin77 on November 1, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Oh, the Humanity! I don’t think Hillary can stand the Humaliation.

Rick on November 1, 2007 at 11:54 AM

It’s really strange that Hillary gets better looking women than Slick Willie.

stenwin77 on November 1, 2007 at 11:14 AM

No, not really. We all know who wears the PANTS in that relationship…

Rick on November 1, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Jaibones on November 1, 2007 at 8:47 AM

I don’t recall hearing this one, but Roe and Gary were a riot, there “best of” shows were great. It’s been good since Gary left but not quite the same.

91Veteran on November 1, 2007 at 12:11 PM

there=their

91Veteran on November 1, 2007 at 12:12 PM

lowandslow on November 1, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Close but no cigar.

You’ve got the right candidate . . .

But it’s not about Hillary being a lesbian, quite to the contrary.

Its about Chelsea, and who is her father . . .

Whose campaign has (at least til 2 nights ago) been error free?

Whose campaign has gotten a free ride from the media?

What candidate is “invicible” and “inevitable”?

Mark my word.

Labamigo on November 1, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Its about Chelsea, and who is her father . . .

Hmm, I don’t know – she kind of looks like Bubba.

Rick on November 1, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Isn’t Michael Musto sort of the ‘go to guy’ on all things gay? He says it’s true. The reason that I care has more to do with the fact that she is a muslim that no one knows much about who is with a woman who could be president 24/7.

Don’t you want to know if BLACKMAIL could be an issue? I’m thinkin that if pics existed THAT MIGHT CAUSE a presidential candidate to be open to POLITICAL BLACKMAIL by other interests.

Ex-tex on November 1, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Maybe the rumor is that Hillary is in bed with the Chinese Communists. Oh, wait–that one’s already out there, and nobody cares.

aero on November 1, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Its about Chelsea, and who is her father . . .
Hmm, I don’t know – she kind of looks like Bubba.

Rick on November 1, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Not as much as she looks like Webb Hubbell.

Labamigo on November 1, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Not as much as she looks like Webb Hubbell.

Labamigo on November 1, 2007 at 4:13 PM

That must be what he meant when he complained about having to roll over one more time!

Buy Danish on November 1, 2007 at 11:09 PM

I think I heard this story about 8 years ago from an editor at a major U.S. daily – it was known then, but not reported according to him. The other woman was from Colorado, I believe…

D2Boston on November 3, 2007 at 2:00 AM

heh, looks like Mr. Plugged In Honest Smart and Dim missed the story that was floating around out there: even though it turned out to be bullshit, it has been out there for months, and Mr. Matt Welch, the guy who parties with the elite high muckety mucks, missed it. As we predicted. WEEEEEEEEEEE!

docweasel on February 26, 2008 at 7:13 PM