Judge loses pants, lawsuit, job

posted at 10:41 am on October 31, 2007 by Allahpundit

Not that it matters anymore, now that the Chungs have been emotionally and financially wrecked by the ordeal, but how’s he going to pay them the $83,000 in attorneys’ fees he owes them if he doesn’t have a job?

Alleged reason for dismissal: behavior that sounds suspiciously like overweening jackassery. Contain your surprise.

A source familiar with the committee’s meetings said Pearson’s lawsuit played little role in the decision not to reappoint him.

Instead, the committee said it had reviewed Pearson’s judicial decisions and audiotapes of proceedings over which he had presided and found he did not demonstrate “appropriate judgment and judicial temperament,” according a source who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the case.

Sources said Pearson also was criticized for displaying a “combative” nature with supervisors and colleagues and for failing to comply with policies in drafting opinions.

It looks like the Chungs’ defense fund is still active. Money’s tight for all of us, I know, and we’ve all got that Joe and Valerie defense fund on our Christmas shopping lists already, so most of us will probably have to choose between the two. Lead with your heart.

Comments

I heard GAP Kids is looking for some new employees. Then he could make his own pants.

robblefarian on October 31, 2007 at 10:45 AM

Broke, Unemployed and Naked.

This is how people that bring frivolous lawsuits should end up.

Happy ending.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 31, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Turd in a punch bowl

Wade on October 31, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Great Headline, AP

mugged on October 31, 2007 at 10:50 AM

Wow, they really took him to the cleaners.

James on October 31, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Happy ending.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 31, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Heh.

And the entitlement-informed, race grievance-based, multi-million dollar wrongful dismissal lawsuit is filed in 3…2…1…

Jaibones on October 31, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Justice served.

ej_pez on October 31, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Actually, he did technically get his pants back.

drjohn on October 31, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Is there by any chance a way to donate directly to the Chungs?

I’d like to give them money. I’d like to buy them a car, a house, and a video of Judge Numbnuts naked and in prison.

But I really don’t want to send money just to have it go to enrich some lawyer who had to get involved in a frivolous case because another frivolous lawyer filed a frivolous case.

As usual, only the lawyers win. And I am one, so I’m not particularly surprised. I’d just rather my money not go there.

Any options?

I guess I could take ten years worth of dry cleaning to D.C. and then tip really, really well.

Wow, they really took him to the cleaners.

James on October 31, 2007 at 10:52 AM

God bless you. That’s frickin’ funny.

Professor Blather on October 31, 2007 at 11:01 AM

A true justice story hot off the presses.

::smirk::

tree hugging sister on October 31, 2007 at 11:08 AM

It’s nice to see some sense prevail in a judicial proceeding.

Bigfoot on October 31, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Only a dozen comments in and several good one liners.

BadgerHawk on October 31, 2007 at 11:33 AM

I still fail to grasp how someone supposedly intelligent enough to be a judge decides it’s a good idea to sue your dry cleaner for eleventy-gazillion bucks over a pair of pants.

Maybe it’s me. I’m just not good with nuance, I guess.

mojo on October 31, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Sounds like he lost his shirt, not pants.

conservnut on October 31, 2007 at 11:56 AM

I’m not sure, but it seems to me the Chungs could now sue Pearson for all the damages he has caused. Not that it would do any good, he probably has no money.

Maxx on October 31, 2007 at 12:29 PM

The same way OJ is going to compensate the Goldmans.

Valiant on October 31, 2007 at 12:46 PM

And the funny thing is he isn’t qualified to actually work In the real world. Any job he is actually qualified for some illegal is doing.

TheSitRep on October 31, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Broke, Unemployed and Naked.This is how people that bring frivolous lawsuits should end up. Happy ending.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 31, 2007 at 10:46 AM

LOLOL! And others. Lotsa good lines here today.

inviolet on October 31, 2007 at 1:03 PM

He’d be better off practicing law in Sierra Leone

Kini on October 31, 2007 at 1:13 PM

I love happy endings, don’t you?!

Bob's Kid on October 31, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Clearly his lack of judicial temperment was caused by the emotional distress of having to show up to work every day without pants on. I’ve had that dream before, and boy is that embarrassing.

Hollowpoint on October 31, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Maybe it’s me. I’m just not good with nuance, I guess.

mojo on October 31, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Obviously, he isn’t/wasn’t intelligent enough to be a judge. I smell affirmative action here. And you’re right, it is you.

cmdrsubfleet on October 31, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Nigeria just got a new moneyshark solicitor/lawyer. Coming to your Inbox soon!

least1 on October 31, 2007 at 3:35 PM

The judge is no judge at all. It was clearly a case of affirmative action along with that clown who “retired” from Merrill Lynch.

serenevalley on October 31, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Get your pants back, but lose your shirt and maybe an arm and a leg, too. Awesome. Justice has indeed been served.

flutejpl on October 31, 2007 at 8:00 PM