Hillary and licenses for illegals: The spin continues

posted at 11:39 am on October 31, 2007 by Bryan

It’s too soon to characterize Hillary’s Dervish-like spin on licenses for illegal aliens as the end of her campaign, but it’s certainly the end of her comfortable ride in the campaign. After last night’s debate, HRC advisor Mark Penn found himself surrounded by reporters who asked him to revise and extend, or at least make sense of, Hillary’s yes-no-maybe-I don’t know answer to whether illegals ought to be able to get drivers licenses. Penn doesn’t answer the question any better than his boss did. He did attempt the one foolproof gambit: Blame Bush! Even that doesn’t work.

The problems with Blame Bush! are that a) Bush’s stance isn’t the GOP’s stance, b) Hillary herself agreed with Bush’s stance, and c) it’s unpopular with the American people. So is the Spitzer plan. Clinton and her campaign can’t answer the question satisfactorily because it requires taking a principled stand on an issue that divides Democrat interest groups, and that divides some of those groups from the majority of the American voters. Like Spitzer, Clinton may soon find herself feeling the wrath of just about everyone.

Which is fine with me.

(video thanks to Marc Ambinder)

Comments

I’ll make the popcorn.

Slublog on October 31, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Slublog on October 31, 2007 at 11:41 AM

I’ll bring the beer.

amerpundit on October 31, 2007 at 11:42 AM

They are aware that Bush isn’t running, right?

saint kansas on October 31, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Classic. How many hours before they’ve crafted some canned speech to thread this logical needle?

peski on October 31, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Lol, this whole thing is Hillaryous to me… mainly because I can picture her flipping out on staff for not preparing her for that, after the debate. I’m picturing her throwing objects around a dressing room, shattering mirrors, etc.

And I just barely read the earlier thread, so I’ll just repost what I did over there:

Will this turn in to her “I voted for it before I voted against it” moment? MSM Says……….. NO!… but it should.

RightWinged on October 31, 2007 at 11:45 AM

RightWinged on October 31, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Please come somebody decode for me just wtf he said.
It’s a good idea, she likes the idea, she wouldn’t do it on a federal level but she wants comprehensive immigration reform {amnesty}

Mojack420 on October 31, 2007 at 11:50 AM

My point being that I’m really surprised Penn even answered this question. After Hil screwed the pooch on national TV last night, I would have expected a united front of either evasion or canned responses while their strategists figure out how to control the damage.

peski on October 31, 2007 at 11:51 AM

I’ll make the popcorn.

Slublog on October 31, 2007 at 11:41 AM

I’ll bring the beer.

amerpundit on October 31, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Oh Boy! And I thought there wasn’t going to be anything good on until Battlestar Galactica comes back in January.

ncc770 on October 31, 2007 at 11:55 AM

You’d think that if the Clintons were half as smart as they’re supposed to be, and if New York Dems were half as smart as they think they are, they’re remember that DLs for illegals played a major role in un-seating Gov Gray Davis (D-Limbo), replacing him with the Terminator, and cementing the latter’s initial popularity in California (this was long before Arnold entered “post-partisan” nirvana).

It seems that the Dems just can’t resist the idea of bringing a huge new constituency into whatever available bureaucracy, no matter the cost, including political cost. It must be in their DNA.

CK MacLeod on October 31, 2007 at 12:02 PM

They WANT to say, ‘YES, Illegal aliens ARE AMERICAN CITIZENS. I want them to have the same rights as every other citizen. I want them to vote for me, I want them to drive, I want them to get welfare and health insurance, I want them to get Medicare and social security.’

While that’s what they WANT to say, the POLLS say that they should say ‘we need to secure the border and stop the flow of illegal aliens into this country. We don’t want to give people any more incentive to come here illegally and break our laws.’.

But to them, that would be ‘racist’ and cost them the ‘Hispanic vote’. PC politics will be the ruin of this country because we no longer have a choice of people who believe anything other than what might get them elected.

If there was a candidate in the field with conviction, I’d vote for them even if I disagreed with them. There isn’t one in either party.

ThackerAgency on October 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Giuliani on Driver’s Licenses For Illegals: ‘This Is Not a Tough Issue.’

Highlight of Rudy Giuliani’s response to Hillary’s answer: “My answer to it is no. Of course you don’t give out driver’s licenses to illegals. Among other things, it’ll make it even more difficult to deal with all the fraud, all the forgery that’s going on.”

bnelson44 on October 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM

CK MacLeod on October 31, 2007 at 12:02 PM

It is, but I would argue that Bill was clever enough to have avoided such a trap, though he’s known for finding other ways to get in political trouble.

Bad Candy on October 31, 2007 at 12:08 PM

bnelson, that’s what he says now because that’s what the polls say he should say. But before he said that ‘if you are an ‘undocumented immigrant’ (note the change of semantics there) who comes to this city and works hard, YOU ARE THE KIND OF PEOPLE WE WANT HERE AND WE WILL PROTECT YOU.’

They don’t say what they think because the only thing any of them think is ‘what do I have to do to get elected’.

ThackerAgency on October 31, 2007 at 12:09 PM

The reason this clip is so delicious is that it shows Hillary on the wrong side of a major issue, but also shows her attempting to parse and contradict her instincts only a few minutes later.

It’s worse than simply a bad answer for her – it reflects poorly on her character.

Beautiful all around.

Slublog on October 31, 2007 at 12:09 PM

‘find herself feeling the wrath of everyone’ – I pray you’re right AP. The next general election is going to be a VERY important one with ALL that’s happening and the now famous ‘alignment’ of planets on 12/21/12 that may change things drastically. We need real and actual leadership more than ever before.

countywolf on October 31, 2007 at 12:13 PM

This entire situation entires the difference between her and Bill. I can’t stand the Clenis, but he would have smothered this question in warm sounding BS that would make the liberal crowd soon. The Glacier Great Communicator.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 31, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Hmmm my “Not Equal” sign was interpeted as HTML tags and deleted. Now that last sentance fragment makes no sense. :(

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 31, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Rush just nailed it (as usual): It’s all about giving illegal aliens the vote.

petefrt on October 31, 2007 at 12:16 PM

It’s a good idea, it makes a lot of sense.

Hey, I didn’t say you should do it, or that I support it, or that I’d have done it.

….

Apparently she believes Democrats often will do things that aren’t good ideas and don’t make a lot of sense?

Which might be one of the few times I agree with Hillary.

gekkobear on October 31, 2007 at 12:17 PM

ThackerAgency on October 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Liar, Paul and Kucinich both have conviction…

Bad Candy on October 31, 2007 at 12:18 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 31, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Pwn3d!

Bad Candy on October 31, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Bwahahahaha!!! He was squirming just like that slimy ell Hillary!

Question: With 10 seconds left in the clip, just exactly who is senator Spitzer? ;-)

csdeven on October 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Bad Candy on October 31, 2007 at 12:18 PM

So does Bin Laden and al zwahiri. I guess you are correct in that there are certain convictions that I would not vote for. But at least I would know what they thought instead of what they want me to think they think.

ThackerAgency on October 31, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Of course Hillary is an eel.

csdeven on October 31, 2007 at 12:25 PM

I’d bet good money that won’t happen. NY politics is different from US politics. Clinton’s gonna be a champion of states rights by this time tomorrow. She’ll then tweek the message to “it’s a shame governors throughout this country have to deal with a problem caused by the Bush administration.” And all her minions will make sure that every news organization stays focused.

sweeper on October 31, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Polls on the rejection of the Dream Act which has more sequels than Frankenstein and yet the Dems are claiming there is a need and massive support for comprehensive immigration reform.

Seems that got killed by a massive grass roots rejection of the legislation involved.

Sounds like someone is really cooking the books on reform support.

CommentGuy on October 31, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Wow — just watched this clip and the clip of the Hillary answer to the releasing of the “first-lady” emails question… I’d say her campaign has successfully entered the “Amateur Hour” zone…

D2Boston on October 31, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Let me weigh in with the gloom and doom.

I think Hillary’s spin is exactly what people want: lip service to what they believe in without regard to whether it actually means anything or is consistent. Crap, we lived through 8 years of Bill, didn’t we? Or am I the only person who had to do that?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 31, 2007 at 1:12 PM

How many times did this weasel say “the federal level”? Otherwise, what the he!! did he say?

Jumpin Jehosaphat!!

Ignorant Mensan on October 31, 2007 at 1:21 PM

And I’m sick of the word “comprehensive.”

RMCS_USN on October 31, 2007 at 1:30 PM

I think it depends on what the definition of ‘drivers license’ is.

dbdiva on October 31, 2007 at 1:51 PM

And I’m sick of the word “comprehensive.”

RMCS_USN on October 31, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Megadittos.

Ali-Bubba on October 31, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Hillary smiles and says: “Thanks for the great question, Tim!”

Hillary thinking: “Just wait till I’m President, Tim. When Bill and I get through with you you’ll be reporting on Caribou migration in the Yukon Territory.”

BacaDog on October 31, 2007 at 2:03 PM

And I’m sick of the word “comprehensive.”

RMCS_USN on October 31, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Like as in Hitlerrys comprehensive answers.

Wade on October 31, 2007 at 2:16 PM

I think when it’s time for the pres debates hilary will call in sick and bill will show up.

peacenprosperity on October 31, 2007 at 2:56 PM

And I’m sick of the word “comprehensive.”

RMCS_USN on October 31, 2007 at 1:30 PM

also we need to do a count on how many times Hillary says
“this administration”

abinitioadinfinitum on October 31, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Bad Candy on October 31, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Billy boy has just been lying openly in public longer than msBill. She will receive some pointers on how to deceive the audience soon…from the master baiter himself, billyjeffcigarman.

shooter on October 31, 2007 at 4:00 PM

See what happens when Hillary isn’t scripted down to the molecular level…

Zach on October 31, 2007 at 4:01 PM

We don’t need another intern anywhere near the big desk in the Oval Office.

pubscout on October 31, 2007 at 4:16 PM

You never can always sometimes tell
when listening to the b!tch from he!!.

leanright on October 31, 2007 at 6:23 PM

C’mon you guys this one’s easy. She was for and against licenses for illegal aliens before she was for and against it.

Clear?

Sheesh. You people just don’t get it do you.

Mojave Mark on October 31, 2007 at 8:01 PM