Fright Night

posted at 8:11 pm on October 31, 2007 by Bryan

Here’s a grab bag of stuff to be scared of.

Some Christian pastors have gone syncretic: They’re combining Scientology with Christianity.

Scientologists do not worship God, much less Jesus Christ. The church has seen plenty of controversy and critics consider it a cult. So why are observant Christians embracing some of its teachings?

Two pastors who spoke recently with CNN explained that when it comes to religion, they still preach the core beliefs of Christianity. But when it comes to practicing what they preach in a modern world, borrowing from Scientology helps.

The Rev. Charles Kennedy, of the Glorious Church of God in Christ, a Pentecostal church in Tampa, Florida, and the Rev. James McLaughlin, of the Wayman Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Houston, Texas, are among the theological hybrids…

Critic Rick Ross, a court-certified Scientology expert, sees something more sinister at work. He warned that mainstream acceptance makes it easier for the Scientologists to achieve their ultimate goal — new recruits.

“Their hope is that through these programs, people will become more interested in L. Ron Hubbard, what else Mr. Hubbard had to offer, and this will lead them eventually to Scientology,” Ross said.

The church has long been in the headlines for practices critics say are little more than cult-like mind control. It is also known for its stable of devout celebrity followers.

Global warming hysteria depends on the politics of fear. (Pardon the dumb war-bashing in that article.)

Mr. Gourevitch explained his thesis:

Let’s say it: Environmentalism is a politics of fear. It is not a progressive politics. When I say it is a politics of fear, I don’t mean that it just deploys hysterical rhetoric or that it exaggerates threats, which I think it does. I mean it in a much deeper sense.

Mr. Gourevitch did not portray himself as a skeptic of climate change, but he argued, “What the science cannot tell you is what our political and social response should be.” Science cannot determine whether humans should focus on mitigation or adaptation, he said.

Mr. Gourevitch quoted Al Gore as describing the climate change not only as the most urgent issue of our time, but also as a unique opportunity for current generations to affect the course of history. Mr. Gourevitch summarized this approach as “the thrill of being forced by circumstances to put aside the pettiness and conflict that so often stifle the human need for transcendence.”

This isn’t scary, but it’s Tim Burton’s best film by far:

And something you don’t see every day. Twilight Zone’s Rod Serling, in a blooper.

The cover shot is from this list of ghost photos that we’ve all been looking at for decades.

Update: iPhone! That turned out pretty awesome!

Comments

Now that’s shocking. I watched The Twilight Zone religiously as a kid, and I had no idea Rod Serling was so…..human.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 31, 2007 at 8:26 PM

My wife got me up early….dressed me like a house painter, complete with 7 gallons of paint, three rollers, three brushes, and an ultimatum.

Rig-a-frat-a-ragga-rigga

Limerick on October 31, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Awwwww, a special HotAir button.

BadgerHawk on October 31, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Limerick on October 31, 2007 at 8:43 PM

That’s a crappy costume.

BadgerHawk on October 31, 2007 at 9:01 PM

IS there truth to the rumor that Michelle will be giving Allah her I Phone Costume as a christmas present ?

William Amos on October 31, 2007 at 9:10 PM

I’m traveling again this week, there’s a small party downstairs in the lobby of this hotel… Now I’ll be stuck with bags and bags of candy when I get home. Happy Halloween everyone.

Zorro on October 31, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Atheists don’t get Christmas presents.

Stephen M on October 31, 2007 at 9:32 PM

Atheists don’t get Christmas presents.

Zing!

eforhan on October 31, 2007 at 9:34 PM

Waitaminute… I’m not Christian either.

Darn.

eforhan on October 31, 2007 at 9:41 PM

I beg to differ on Burton’s best movie. That has to be his rendition of “Batman” (not the later junk).

steveegg on October 31, 2007 at 9:48 PM

steveegg on October 31, 2007 at 9:48 PM

I disagree. Batman was good at the time but doesn’t really stand up very well now. Nightmare, on the other hand, is a classic.

Bryan on October 31, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Bryan on October 31, 2007 at 10:09 PM

It survived how many bad sequels, something Nightmare didn’t get watered down with. Oh well; wrong season anyway for that movie.

steveegg on October 31, 2007 at 10:16 PM

It was a tie! IT WAS A TIE!

Merovign on October 31, 2007 at 10:38 PM

steveegg on October 31, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Burton/Best? Oxymoron?

Gatordoug on October 31, 2007 at 11:05 PM

Thanks for the NIGHTMARE clip, Bryan. I agree it’s among his best. I own that soundtrack and sang right along with it. My personal faves of Tim’s are NIGHTMARE, ED WOOD and SLEEPY HOLLOW. SOOOOOOO looking forward to SWEENEY TODD. Nothing better than a Burton/Depp combo.

Face it Folks, with Tim Burton, you either appreciate his dark sense of humor or you don’t.

I totally get him.

tickleddragon on October 31, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Speaking of frightening, when was the last time we had a Vent? Seems this place is up for video blog of the year, and I need reasons not to give the Hammer two nods, so let the bidding begin.

steveegg on November 1, 2007 at 8:29 AM

This isn’t scary, but it’s Tim Burton’s best film by far:

Thank you, for those kind words. ;-)

Tim Burton on November 1, 2007 at 12:14 PM