No difference between Republicans and Democrats? CAIR disagrees.

posted at 11:15 am on October 30, 2007 by Bryan

Jihad Watch’s Robert Spencer, threatened by the Council on American-Islamic Relations a few months back, links to this story in the WSJ. Wait, it’s a WSJ story, but it’s reposted in full on CAIR’s website.

A divide is emerging on the presidential campaign trail over battling terrorists: how exactly to label the fight. While Democrats tend to talk about terrorism in general, Republicans increasingly pin the threat directly on Islam.

So why won’t the Democrats talk directly about any of this?
All the major Republican candidates regularly weave some form of the phrase “Islamic extremism” into their stump speeches. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has taken the rhetoric to a new level, running a television advertisement about “this century’s nightmare, jihadism.”

Democratic candidates generally don’t emphasize linking Islam and terrorism. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton talks more of “global terrorism,” while Sen. Barack Obama refers to “stateless terrorism.”

“In four Democratic debates, not a single Democratic candidate said the word ‘Islamic terrorism,’” former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani said at a Republican debate. “Now that is taking a political correctness to extremes.”

Robert was interviewed for the story, and though his quotes weren’t included, he made a good point.

Elizabeth Holmes interviewed me at some length for this article, and I explained to her that the linkage between Islam and terrorism did not come from Republican presidential candidates, but from the terrorists themselves, who consistently point to Islamic teachings to explain and justify their actions. If we refuse to explore this, and to speak about it honestly, we are voluntarily declining to make use of the only key that they themselves have given us to understanding their own motives and goals. And without understanding the motives and goals of an opponent, you cannot defeat him.

Want to see someone speaking on the same subject, who agrees with what Robert says? Here ya go.

In this exclusive video interview with Mujahid Sheikh Abu Muhammad, who studied under the blind Sheikh Abdul Rahman, Sheikh Muhammad addresses the status of Muslims in Britain and those in countries that are at war in Muslim lands. Patience – a large file well worth it.

He cites verse after verse from the Koran to justify saying that Muslims are currently in a state of war with the UK. Not jihadists or just al Qaeda or the Taliban or even Iraqis — Muslims. That video, btw, is linked on Jihad Unspun, a site that’s more than sympathetic to the Islamist cause.

So why aren’t the Democrats talking about this? Well…

After a group of conservative academics declared last week “Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week,” David Halperin, a senior vice president at the Democratic-leaning think tank Center for American Progress, criticized the effort. “To continue to harp on the idea that Islamo-fascism is the source of terrorism is to suggest that all Muslims are terrorists,” Mr. Halperin said.

Where have we heard that kind of thinking before?

Comments

The Dems are soft on terror and Islam and fascists. Put them all together, you get Islam. The Dems left wing loon supporters would rather see Islam in power than a Republican.

We can discuss this, but that’s the fact.

Hening on October 30, 2007 at 11:19 AM

At this stage the “tiny minority” in Islam is the number that have actively repudiated terrorism.
Prove me wrong.

bbz123 on October 30, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I agree with Robert Spencer about this. It is the terrorists who are linking terrorism and Islam. While I disagree with Robert about what to do with Mecca, he is 100% right on this.

I just don’t know if we can ever have a “doctrinal reformation” of Islam, due to the limited hermeneutics of the Koran. On that point I disagree with him.

Prove me wrong.

bbz123 on October 30, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I wouldn’t even say “tiny minority”. I would say a non-existent minority.

Tim Burton on October 30, 2007 at 11:29 AM

How about Liberoterrorism?

The demrats and their Rino spys have proven time after time who’s side they are on, and it isn’t that of the American people.

List:

1. Dream Act

2. Campaign finance reform

3. Income Tax increases

4. Earmark spending

5. Immigration ‘reform’

6. Foreign Policy interference (Armenia, Turkey, Syria, Iran et, al )

7. S chip

8. HillaryScare

9. Attempts to disable Homeland Security

10. Jack Murtha, John Kerry, Kennedy, Clinton and company.

…and on and on.

11. State by state sales of our infrastructure to foreign companies.

We can beat any outside enemy, it is the enemy within that is our biggest threat.

HonestConservative on October 30, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Tim Burton,

What do I say about what to do with Mecca?

Robert Spencer on October 30, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Hmmm, maybe we should start doing the same to Democrats – ignore them and maybe they’ll go away, or just pretend they don’t exist (and refer to them in an abstract/vague way, if need be) – afterall, this is something they appear to understand very well (so they should get the hint).

Rick on October 30, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Tim Burton,

What do I say about what to do with Mecca?

Robert Spencer on October 30, 2007 at 11:37 AM

I was wondering about that, too; hope he responds.

RW Wacko on October 30, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I do hope we don’t start drifting too far off in one direction. We’ve seen the controversy at LGF over some of the so-called right-wing parties gaining prominence in Europe. yeah, yeah, I know, flame me. I’ve posted a few times recently criticizing those who proclaim that there are no good Muslims, and have been flamed. Could not get anyone to agree with me on that one point even. Is pretty distressing. I do not underestimate the fight we are in, and the enemy we are engaged with, but let’s not smear some good people who are truly trying to reform and work within their religion to do some good in this world, and also be loyal to their countr(y/ies).

RW Wacko on October 30, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Not flamed so much here, but esp on free republic. Still the shift is worrisome to me.

RW Wacko on October 30, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Demrats don’t want our love or attention.

They want our M O N E Y (and of course the absolute power that comes with it).

“Your love gives me such a thrill,
but that honey won’t pay my bills.
I want Mooooooooney.

That’s what I want.”

HonestConservative on October 30, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Let me be clear: I’m not saying that there are no good Muslims, and neither is Robert. He says, and I agree, that we need to hear from the peaceful Muslims more, and we need CAIR to unequivocally oppose terrorism or stop pretending that it doesn’t have unsavory associations. We also need to hear truth about all of this from both political parties.

Bryan on October 30, 2007 at 11:54 AM

With that logic if you say “Afro-Americans” you suggesting all Americans are of African descent?

Wade on October 30, 2007 at 11:55 AM

the Irony is, the best pro-Jihad candidate has a “Republican” label and is in the Repub. debates.

, like many, have assumed that the driving force behind the suicide attacks was Islamic fundamentalism. Promise of instant entry into paradise as a reward for killing infidels seemed to explain the suicides, a concept that is foreign to our way of thinking. The world’s expert on suicide terrorism has convinced me to rethink this simplistic explanation, that terrorism is merely an expression of religious extremism and resentment of a foreign culture.
—Ron Paul, lead of the Ron Paul Cult.

jp on October 30, 2007 at 11:58 AM

While both are somewhat correct, 99% of the terrorists today have ONE common thread, ISALM.
ONE primary purpose, all humans alive on this planet must be muslims… at any cost.
ONE book, a koran that leads them to kill all who do not agree with this purpose. ( jiza tax first, but ultimately death if you don’t convert to ISLAM)

“this century’s nightmare, jihadism.”
“this century’s nightmare, ISLAM.”

shooter on October 30, 2007 at 12:03 PM

also at the above link…

Religious beliefs are less important than supposed. For instance, the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, a Marxist secular group, are the world’s leader in suicide terrorism . The largest Islamic fundamentalist countries have not been responsible for any suicide terrorist attack. None have come from Iran or the Sudan. Until the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Iraq never had a suicide terrorist attack in all of its history. Between 1995 and 2004, the al Qaeda years, two-thirds of all attacks came from countries where the U.S. had troops stationed. Iraq’s suicide missions today are carried out by Iraqi Sunnis and Saudis. Recall, 15 of the 19 participants in the 9/11 attacks were Saudis.

The clincher is this: the strongest motivation, according to Pape, is not religion but rather a desire “to compel modern democracies to withdraw military forces from the territory the terrorists view as their homeland.”

The best news is that if stopping suicide terrorism is a goal we seek, a solution is available to us. Cease the occupation of foreign lands and the suicide missions will cease. Between 1982 and 1986, there were 41 suicide terrorist attacks in Lebanon. Once the U.S., the French, and Israel withdrew their forces from Lebanon, there were no more attacks. The reason the attacks stop, according to Pape, is that the Osama bin Ladens of the world no longer can inspire potential suicide terrorists despite their continued fanatical religious beliefs.

Ron Paul, Leader of the Ron Paul Cult

bolded for emphasis…..how ignorant can one presidential candidate be? Does he even know about the Muslim Brotherhood? Or worse, is he really allied with White Supremacist group and is giving political cover to them to meet their goals?

jp on October 30, 2007 at 12:11 PM

From the muslims’ own scriptures, it seems that every muslim is just a decision away from jihad; nor must he declare his war. And this way is also open to each non-muslim, to fight undeclared war by every strategem that seems prudent.

Kralizec on October 30, 2007 at 12:15 PM

I agree that there are many, many good Muslims out there; but they are what they are in spite of the Islam, not because of it. What we need the peaceful Muslims to do is denounce their wicked religion and get the heck out of it. Only by defeating Islam itself can we truly rid ourselves of this enemy.

2Brave2Bscared on October 30, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Bryan on October 30, 2007 at 11:54 AM

I 100% agree with you, which is why I spend most of my time at HotAir, and when I want to delve more into Islamic terrorism, I mosey on over to jihadwatch. You guys are great. I am worried about some of my fellow commentors whose views seem to be more vitriolic and combustible compared to years past. Seen a lot of ends justify the means type thinking when it comes to political parties with ties to hate groups, lots of groupthink and rigid thinking about “Muslims” with people ranting “you don’t understand the threat” when you dare try to say that not all Muslims in America want to install a Caliphate and destroy us infidels.

RW Wacko on October 30, 2007 at 12:26 PM

From the muslims’ own scriptures,

Therein Lies THE problem.
Until something is done about the wording, translation,or understanding of their ‘recital’ of submission or death to all infidels, nothing…NOTHING can be accomplished in any measure to stop the jihadi killers and jihadi killings.
Muslims, it is your turn, the (gum)ball is in your court.
> WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?

shooter on October 30, 2007 at 12:26 PM

A good example of what I’m talking about.

2Brave2Bscared on October 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Not every Muslim is a Islamofascist and not every Christian goes to church every Sunday although some would argue that the “good” ones do.

Since I refuse to stand up and defend the “white power” Christians I have to wonder at the Muslims who do defend the Islamofascists.

Buzzy on October 30, 2007 at 12:32 PM

If Christians were doing the same things the muslims are doing the democrat party would have no problem calling it “Christian tyranny”. Bank on it.

SouthernGent on October 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Bryan on October 30, 2007 at 11:54 AM

I would add that we need to NOT hear from the peaceful Muslims that it is America’s fault (via our policies, etc.) that the radical Muslims are committing acts of terrorism.

Rick on October 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Buzzy on October 30, 2007 at 12:32 PM

“White power Christians” aren’t very good Christians at all, just like being a peaceful Muslim doesn’t make you a “good” Muslim — that’s the point.

2Brave2Bscared on October 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Delusion and ignorance are not survival characteristics. But they are characteristics of the left.

pat on October 30, 2007 at 12:44 PM

2Brave2Bscared on October 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Yeah, I figured that out all by myself on October 23rd, 1983, but thanks.

Buzzy on October 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Buzzy on October 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM

I was more expounding on your original point than anything else, but thanks for the sarcastic, condescending response.

2Brave2Bscared on October 30, 2007 at 12:54 PM

A good example of what I’m talking about.
2Brave2Bscared on October 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM

One of the best, thx.

shooter on October 30, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Sorry, it’s a sarcastic condescending day here.

Buzzy on October 30, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Muslims suck at community relations. All Americans want to know is that their local Islamic community supports America against its enemies, foreign and domestic, and repudiates terrorism in all its forms. That’s all. If they could organize and unify around that one message it would mean so much. Alas, they cannot and it is telling. Unfortunately, it is largely the fault of their “leaders”. The rest tend to be “followers” who do not speak up and it is a shame.
They have issues similar to those you see in the African-American communities in the inner-cities. Inferiority complexes drive a refusal to take responsibility for your own actions or inactions. The successful and assimilated Muslims I know have no problem repudiating Islamic terrorism. The ones who have had problems assimilating (largely b/c of their refusal to embrace traditional western values) blame their lack of “acceptance” on institutionalized racism/bias against Islam. Never mind the fact that they tend to go out of their way to avoid interaction with non-Muslims. Can’t have it both ways, folks. Either you are part of our society, or you ain’t. The victim culture is alive and well in the Muslim community. Explains away so many of the troublesome realities they would otherwise have to deal with.

RW Wacko on October 30, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Bryan on October 30, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Where will we hear them? Is it really fair to say to any Joe Schmo who happens to be Muslim to denounce Islamic terrorism?
To me that’s like saying, on a far lesser scale, that every time those morons, who happen to be call themselves Christians, protest at military funerals, all people who call themselves Christian need to denounce those whackjobs.

And as for CAIR, is there anyone who believes a word the say? I think jihadwatch is head and shoulders above most websites, (present company excluded of course) but if I didn’t visit that websites, I would never even hear about CAIR.

sweeper on October 30, 2007 at 1:17 PM

sweeper on October 30, 2007 at 1:17 PM

That’s when I get into trouble here and from the Freepers. People always challenge me to name moderate Muslims. Duh, I can name a bunch, including two of my best friends, one from childhood (I don’t have many) and one of my closest neighbor families. But no, that doesn’t count. Nor do heads of state, members of parliament, etc etc. They all denounce terrorism, and consider themselves loyal Americans.
Then people tell me they are not really Muslims then, b/c real Muslims are forbidden from the Koran to put anything above Islam. Well, geegollygosh, maybe these folks are actually trying to move beyond 100% strick Fuc**ng interpretation of the Koran and move into the 21st century. Isn’t that what we keep criticizing Muslims for NOT doing.

RW Wacko on October 30, 2007 at 2:12 PM

A good example of what I’m talking about.

2Brave2Bscared on October 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Very good article.
I have some friends that are Muslim, although I don’t hang out with them or even see them anymore, it’s not because of any other reason then we just drifted apart. When I first met them I was suspicious of them but as I got to know them they were some of the nicest most respectful people I have EVER met. The problem was when two of them, after 911 started going back to the West Bank, they would return a different person. They would talk about getting back to practicing their Religion and staying true to it. Each trip they would return with more HATE in their heart. I have learned quite a lot about Islam since 911 and the article linked above pretty much sums up Islam in a no nonsense light and explains what it is to be a “good” Muslim. Thanks for a great article.

abinitioadinfinitum on October 30, 2007 at 2:25 PM

A good example of what I’m talking about.

2Brave2Bscared on October 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM
Very good article.

Agreed.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM

RW Wacko on October 30, 2007 at 11:51 AM

You say you are flamed by those who say there are no good Muslims and esp. on FR. There are those who say that on every forum and blog and they do the cause no good whatsoever. However, I have been one of the most outspoken about the problem of Islam itself on FR. It’s very important to make a distinction between the ideology itself and human beings who have the ability to make choices (discounting, of course, the idea that renouncing Islam makes one an apostate). Make sure you understand the difference as well. I refuse to discuss the issue with freepers or anyone who runs around the Internet yelling things like “kill all Mooslimbs!” Fortunately, for the most part, I’m seeing that kind of stuff die down some.

Connie on October 30, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Let’s be clear here: Not all Muslims are terrorists but all terrorists have been Muslims.
They’ve also been young males who adhere to extremist ideology.

Unless and until 60-year-old Lutheran grandmothers of Nordic ancestry start hijacking and flying planes into buildings, it is perfectly appropriate for the GOP to tie Islam to terrorism.

Didn’t we learn the perils of talking in generalities about terrorism during the Clinton years? The Taliban destroyed virtually all of Afghanistan’s non-Islamic cultural heritage and yet not once did Clinton or Maddie “Notsobright” talk about the atrocities with the specificity that was required.

highhopes on October 30, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Perhaps not, but it is fair to expect them to do so and to suspect them if they do not.

*And as a note, even CAIR renounces terrorism on its website. The problem is that when you begin to understand Islam itself, (as well as noting CAIR’s support of Hamas), it is then impossible to believe they really mean it.

sweeper on October 30, 2007 at 1:17 PM

We do.

Connie on October 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM

This is why I’m not voting 3rd party ever again. Well unless we get run off elections.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 30, 2007 at 5:29 PM

LOL!

aengus on October 30, 2007 at 6:47 PM

I agree with you. It’s just that they are good in spite of the literalist interpretation of the Koran that so many of their co-religionists espouse. Central Asia used to be a lot calmer than it is now after all the Saudi cash flooded in. Some people just want to get on with their lives, they neither want to act in a supremacist manner against others nor do they want to confront the doctrinal violence at the core of their faith. How many we just don’t know. I would think “significant minority” should replace “tiny minority” at the very least.

aengus on October 30, 2007 at 6:52 PM

I feel that there are plenty of good muslims around the world as there are plenty of good Christians the world over. I do belive when the good are taken over by some evil factions and the Good keep quiet because of some fear of being attacked then they really don’t have a full understanding of thier religion and its principle doctrines. More and more Christians don’t speak out when we are being made fun of or laws are being made that go against our Christian beliefs and that of our founding fathers intentions when they set up the Declaration Of Independence and the Bill of Rights. Most people haven’t a clue they our country is being taken over in a methodical and PC way and we are losing what this country really stands for. Freedom of religion don’t mean we can’t take a stand against immoral and indecent books,films,tv, radio and so many other areas that are coming under attack on a daily basis all over this country. Muslims are not about to overthrow our country unless we keep kowtowing to PC crap that hasn’t got anything to do with how it protects all our rights NOT just the minority issue that seems to be a hot button issue to gain someone some power somewhere. Our local,state, and federal politicians need to hear from us and we need to get all our heads out of the sand and it better be sooner than later.
Are you letting your state leaders know where you stand on issues? Or has apathy so deep that we just don’t give a dam anymore. With less and less people voting, it is no wonder we are losing all the values this great country was founded and taught for years.. Stand up and express your feelings and let’s get this country back where it belongs. On a fast track to the greatest nation on the planet. It still is and always will be unless we the people let a few groups steal our values and ethics away from us.

bones47 on October 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM