Debate quip: Biden rips Giuliani’s qualifications to be president; Video: Kucinich, Obama blow the lid off UFOs

posted at 10:53 pm on October 30, 2007 by Bryan

Here’s Joe Biden’s “Giuliani isn’t qualified to be president” quip from tonight’s debate. He goes off on this riff as a non-response to a question asked of him about Hillary’s alleged qualifications to be POTUS. Brian Williams asks Biden to stand by or disavow an October 19 statement that Biden made on CBS:

CBSNews.com: Do you think it’s legitimate for Senator Clinton to talk about her experience as First Lady as relevant to preparing herself to become president?

Joe Biden: Well, I think it is legitimate, but while Mrs. Clinton was meeting socially with the prime minister of a country, I was sitting down and negotiating with them, or the foreign minister. So I do think the experience is relevant, and that she has a sense of what’s going on internationally. And she knows how people react. But I think my experience–I know, I don’t think–I know it’s considerably deeper and more relevant.

Williams asked Biden if he still stands by that quote. Biden chose to answer an entirely different question about Rudy Giuliani’s qualifications. Williams never gets him to answer for that CBS quote.

The funny thing about this is, to the extent that Hillary constantly accuses the Republicans of “obsessing” about her, Biden’s non sequitur here shows that the Democrats are obsessing about Giuliani. Rudy is the unseen presence on the stage tonight.

Update: They saved the good stuff for the end. Gold star to Obama for the most hamfisted, absurd remolding of a question to fit his talking points that I’ve ever seen.

Comments

“I’m not running against Hillary Clinton.”

???

I thought there was a thing called a primary…

Looking at the numbers, he better start running against Clinton if he wants to be President. What a tool.

nailinmyeye on October 30, 2007 at 11:06 PM

“Non-sequitur” is the PERFECT term here, Bryan.

asc85 on October 30, 2007 at 11:12 PM

In the words of Rosanna Rosannadanna from SNL – NEVERMIND!

iam7545 on October 30, 2007 at 11:21 PM

That was a pretty good line.

BadgerHawk on October 30, 2007 at 11:26 PM

You need to get Biden in the post debate with Matthews. After the UFO question Joe jokingly says he’s never met Kucinich and doesn’t know Richardson, before saying seriously “what the hell err heck are we talking about.”

RW_theoriginal on October 30, 2007 at 11:28 PM

I’m not running against Hillary Clinton.

Actually, er, you are.

amerpundit on October 30, 2007 at 11:32 PM

Come on 33% of dems think 911 was an inside job and they would have doubts about UFOs ?

I can see Kucinish’s Alien being like Marvin the martian

“Earthling we gave Iran the Q38 esplosive space modulator. What are you going to do now !”

Kucinich “I just wanted a ride on your ship”

William Amos on October 30, 2007 at 11:33 PM

I like how it was Bubba and Biden that cleaned up New York. I’ll bet they had Mafia contracts out on them too.

Pablo on October 30, 2007 at 11:37 PM

Does it mean anything that I’d completely forgotten that Biden was still running for President?

Pablo on October 30, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Rudy Guiliani isn’t qualified to be President?? If I recall correctly, Rudy cleaned up the craphole that was New York City. And was an unbelievable leader on 9/11. What exactly has Biden done that even halfway compares?

mjk on October 30, 2007 at 11:40 PM

Dennis supports giving licenses to aliens.

dont taze me bro on October 30, 2007 at 11:43 PM

I’m not running against Hillary Clinton.

Finally, the truth. He is clearly a shill for Hillary (just like Dodd and Richardson).

faraway on October 30, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Will Dennis support building a force field to protect us against illegal space aliens?

faraway on October 30, 2007 at 11:45 PM

Further evidence that Delaware shouldn’t get 2 votes in the Senate. Yikes!

SouthernGent on October 31, 2007 at 12:15 AM

I actually found Obama’s answer to the pointless question rather clever. And I’m the type of guy who likes to call him Hussien.

thuja on October 31, 2007 at 12:15 AM

Bryan – I thought Obama’s spin was excellent. Tim Russert has lost it! I used to like him – what a dumb asinine question!!!

iam7545 on October 31, 2007 at 12:23 AM

Dennis supports giving licenses to aliens.

dont taze me bro on October 30, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Family loyalty.

MB4 on October 31, 2007 at 12:26 AM

Biden is constantly taking one step forward and two backwards. He was right on the MRAP’s and then he says he isn’t running against Hillary in this primary.

What a dope.

csdeven on October 31, 2007 at 12:29 AM

Count me in with those who liked Obama’s answer. He basically found the most polite way of saying, “Why are you asking about B.S. when there are real issues to discuss?”

calbear on October 31, 2007 at 12:31 AM

Isnt Kucinich the one who said Bush needs a mental check ?

William Amos on October 31, 2007 at 1:03 AM

They know Rudy. They fear Rudy.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 31, 2007 at 3:36 AM

Eh, I don’t know, Bryan. Were I to be asked such an insipid question as that, I’d probably do something similar. Who the hell cares whether Obama believes there’s life elsewhere in the universe? What’s that got to do with any campaign issues?

flipflop on October 31, 2007 at 6:42 AM

Slightly off topic: Sitting on the plane one day coming home from Reagan to La Guardia, who should be walking down the aisle but Joe Biden. I am like praying, I hope he doesn’t sit next to me. (Yes, he doesn’t take private jet to New York, at least one good thing about him.) It would be hard to keep my mouth shut, but then I don’t have the confidence in arguing in person as I can type here, sometimes best to not look like an idiot and say nothing at all.

StuLongIsland on October 31, 2007 at 6:56 AM

Biden is a “been nowhere, done nothing” dolt that wouldn’t recognize presidential qualifications if they jumped up and bit him in the backside. The man is an absolute waste of time.

rplat on October 31, 2007 at 7:09 AM

After Kucinich attempts a joke that he is “moving his office to Roswell” the audience doesn’t make a sound. I’m guessing they didn’t know he was joking.

Meanwhile, Obama got caught up in a breeze from the air conditioner and had to hang on to the podium for dear life.

Jaibones on October 31, 2007 at 7:27 AM

Now that I’ve finished laughing at Joe Biden here are your counter talking-points:

1. New york’s crime wave was solved by the “Biden crime bill”. WTF??? Is he on serious drugs? RUDY CLEANED UP NYC, and fought off the idiot Democrat city council to do it. Jeesh. I was here. I know.

2. Everything rudy says is a “noun-verb-911″ ??? has he seen Rudy’s Twelve Points? Has he listened to Rudy talk repeately recently about lower taxes,reduced crime, managing a budget? Exactly how many of THOSE things has Joe Bigmouth Biden ever done?

3. The Freakin 9-11 Commission?? IS BIDEN DERANGED??? He rails that Rudy hasnt done anything about the 9-11 Commis recommendations???? IS HE ON DRUGS??? Rudy left office on January 1, 2002, barely three months after 9-11 (mandatory term limits in NYC). Mayor Mike (The Idiot) Bloomberg took over. Rudy was on the commission and quit when he got sick of working with sycophants like Jamie Gorelik and James (Make nice to the Arabs) Baker. He wont say it but thats the fact. The Commission issued its findings when Rudy was out of office. So what exactly is Rudy supposed to do in NY regarding the Commis? Biden is such a jerk.

4. Of EVERYONE in both parties, Rudy was an EXECUTIVE of the biggest government entity for the longest time (Hucks rule of Arkansas is like a four-block section of Bensonhurst). Joe Biden, bigmouthed ineffective denizen of the Senatorial Debating Society, has some of the LEAST qualifications. Along with almost every other DEM candidate, none of whom except Richardson has ever been an EXECUTIVE.

5. You are not running against Hillary? Someone check this mans medications. And then show him the latest Democrat polling data.

6. Plain fact is: Rudy is as much “in their heads” as Hillary is in ours.

Always Right on October 31, 2007 at 7:30 AM

The dumbest man in the Senate!!!

Golfer_75093 on October 31, 2007 at 8:33 AM

When the opposition takes shots at a specific member of the other party – i.e. Rudy by the Dems,,, and Hillary by the Republicans,,, you know immediately where the general election is thought to be headed.

Rudy vs. Hillary

And it will be as bloody as any in our life time.

jake-the-goose on October 31, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Actually, I was impressed by Dennis the Menace’s answer. A “Roswell” quip is automatic when the subject of UFOs comes up, but the reference to Exeter, NH (1965 flap) indicates at least some actual knowledge of UFOlogy in the academic sense.

As for Obama’s answer, to me it translates to “When I’m in power, kiss space exploration good-bye.” With a side order of whine; “We have things we need to do heerreee.”

And BTW, Senator, the correct answer to the question is,

“Yes, the laws of probability state that there is almost certainly life- intelligent life- elsewhere in the Universe.

I just see no compelling evidence that said life-forms are dropping by every other Tuesday for tea.”

cheers

eon

eon on October 31, 2007 at 9:15 AM

Mr. Biden – if that is the case then why did the murder and crime rate go UP in every other major city?

Yes – the man is nuts! How embarrassing!

iam7545 on October 31, 2007 at 9:15 AM

Good one by Obama in the 2nd clip. Sounded a bit Fred!-ish.

AlexB on October 31, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Actually more people approve of Bush and fewer approve of the Democrat controlled Congress, siting UFO viewers as a polls reference really says something liberal incompetence.

So does siting Jimmie Carter as any kind of boost to your credibility.

Speakup on October 31, 2007 at 11:36 AM

I think there are more people who believe in UFOs than a) agree with Kucinich’s policies (let alone know who he is) and b) watched the Democrat debate last night.

Weebork on October 31, 2007 at 1:42 PM

I disagree, Allah. That was not hamfisted, that was a twenty lb. sledge that was used to pound that answer out of the question that was asked.

Troy Rasmussen on October 31, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Kucinich….wtf? Does every tea party have to have a mad hatter?

That’s it…Kucinich must now be called “The Mad Hatter” on this web site. He sounds, looks, and acts like him.

Black Adam on October 31, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Biden: “I’m not running against Hillary Clinton.”

Instead Biden ought to be running to a Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon to talk about his hair (or rather the lack thereof)…

eanax on October 31, 2007 at 7:21 PM

I like the screen shot of Kucinich that Drudge has up…

Am I just imagining it or did he photo shop those ears?

Mcguyver on October 31, 2007 at 7:44 PM

comb over biden must have ‘copied’ that quote from someone…he’s not smart enough to come up with that himself…

areseaoh on November 1, 2007 at 12:21 PM