Alex Jones’s site attacks “dirt-sniffing” Hot Air neocon over Ron Paul questions; Update: Clarification added

posted at 12:08 pm on October 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Top of the world, ma.

For instance, the neocon blogger “Allahpundit,” posting on the Hot Air site, is busy accusing Ron Paul and Alex Jones of some sort of shadowy collusion. “…it seems now we’ve got money moving in both directions between America’s Greatest Patriot and this bottom-feeding Truther jackass: a $2,300 donation from Jones to Paul and a $1,300 payment this quarter from Paul’s campaign to ‘Jones, Alex.’ Assuming it’s the same Alex Jones, which seems a safe bet, pray tell what might that payment have been for?” writes the dirt-sniffing blogger.

Nothing nefarious here, folks. Indeed, Alex Jones donated to the Ron Paul campaign, as radio talk show hosts are allowed to donate to the political campaigns of their choice. As for the supposed “$1,300 payment” to Alex Jones, this was merely a refund. Jones made a mistake—he intended to donate $1,000, not $2,300, and the $1,300 was a refund. The transaction was noted by OpenSecrets, an organization covering presidential funding.

But never mind. In the demented recesses of the average neocon mind, this transaction is considered some sort of “sinister” conspiracy—one they hope may bring down the Ron Paul campaign, as the neocons want to make it look like Ron Paul is paying Alex Jones for favorable coverage on his radio show and websites.

I wish I had grandkids, just so I could tell them about the day Pops was accused of circulating nutbar conspiracy theories — by Prison Planet. Let’s be straight on one thing, boys: I am most emphatically not accusing Ron Paul of trying to buy favorable coverage from Alex Jones. He’s been getting that coverage from you gratis for months now, and he’s evidently more than happy to accept it. The point about the money trail is simply to show how cozy he is with the dregs of American politics — which, incidentally, is superfluous, as I said in an update to the “dirt-sniffing” post that’s got PP so exercised:

People are commenting that this is much more of a smoking gun re: Paul’s coziness with Jones than the donation Jones sent to Paul. I completely disagree. I’m willing to give Paul a pass on the donation he apparently received from Stormfront founder Don Black (assuming he returns the money, of course) since it’s reasonable to believe Paul doesn’t know who Black is. He and his people certainly know who Jones is, though, so why not return the donation immediately? Answer: Because Paul has no problem associating with Jones, as we already know from his many appearances on Jones’s show. In that sense, this whole gotcha game with the money is idiotic. Paul’s willing guest shots on nutjob radio are enough to fatally taint his candidacy, not this penny-ante donation/payment business.

So much for that. As for that partial refund, Ron Paul fan David Freddoso suggested yesterday that it was motivated by Paul’s campaign not wanting to appear too chummy with Jones but PP is now claiming that it was actually a simple numerical error. Normally I’d be inclined to believe the congressman over the conspiracy theorist, but if Paul’s camp was so worried about being tainted by Jones’s money, why would they have issued only a partial refund? PP’s explanation makes more sense than Paul’s/Freddoso’s does.

Update: David Freddoso e-mails to say that he didn’t suggest anything about the Paul campaign’s motivation, particularly not that it was trying to avoid being seen as chummy with Alex Jones. I pointed him to this paragraph from his NRO post:

The “payment” to Jones (and yes, it is that same Jones) was not a payment at all, but a partial refund of Jones’s $2,300 contribution. It is clearly marked as such, if you look in the right place on the electronic FEC forms. Paul’s spokesman said he put a line in to the campaign treasurer when he noticed it being discussed on the blogosphere, but that’s the answer he’s going to get.

I took the last line to mean the campaign wasn’t thrilled about buzz of a financial link to Alex Jones and had moved to tamp it down by severing that link. (Otherwise, why would they have needed to be prompted by the blogosphere? They would have issued the refund of their own accord.) Freddoso evidently didn’t meant to suggest that. Apologies for the miscommunication.

Comments

I’m so jealous that the conspiracy whackjobs have singled you out personally. Bravo. And I will continue to be unsurprised as Ron Paul keeps dancing with the crazies that brought him.

ReubenJCogburn on October 30, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Well, Allah, if you ever decided to change your nom de blogguere, it’s settled: DIRTSNIFFINGHOTAIRNEOCON.

Michelle on October 30, 2007 at 12:16 PM

So the net effect of all of this is that Paul’s campaign has accepted $1k from Alex Jones. Thanks for clearing that up!

Bryan on October 30, 2007 at 12:17 PM

They make neocons sound like ninjas:

Neocons never rest, especially when they are tasked with shooting down the only Constitution-based presidential candidate out of fear he will, when elected, put an end to their clash of civilizations mass murder campaign.

Slublog on October 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Wow, that’s a serious achievement! Lol, you’re in an elite group now AP… Actually, you may be all alone up there. Don’t forget about us!

BTW, who among us hasn’t written a check for $2,300 when we intended to write it for $1,000. Happens all the time!

That said, I don’t think everyone is sniffing dirt, because we’re scared of Paul becoming president… that’s the funniest part of that article. They think we mock Paul because we’re afraid of him? Lol, yes we’re terrified that a douchey lunatic who hangs out with Truthers is going to win the nomination and the election. That’s clearly what’s going on here.

RightWinged on October 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Yeah, when I write checks for $1000, I always seem to write $2300.

I gotta work on that.

James on October 30, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Aw, we don’t think the demented recesses of your neocon mind are average at all.

Tanya on October 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Yeah, when I write checks for $1000, I always seem to write $2300.

In that case, can you lend me a grand?

Slublog on October 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Those crazy neo-con atheists…and their gaggle of militant members!

StoutRepublican on October 30, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Michelle on October 30, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, except how the are we supposed to shorten Dirtsniffinghotairneocon when we addess him? DSHAN?

I go by doubleplusundead at my crapblog, and that’s a bit much to type.

Bad Candy on October 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Actually, if you look at the donation page of his website, the $1000 and $2300 radio buttons are right next to each other.

Tanya on October 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM

One’s enemies are often a better indication of one’s character than one’s friends.

Halley on October 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM

I guess that could work, they usually put DPUD on the headline link when I get them…

Bad Candy on October 30, 2007 at 12:29 PM

I still like Ace’s takedown.

Bad Candy on October 30, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Hey, if people aren’t reacting to what your writing then maybe you aren’t saying much. Good job, AP.

terryannonline on October 30, 2007 at 12:37 PM

RightWinged on October 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

HA! Admit it, you fear–FEAR–the Douche. Now if only he could get Lyndon LaRouche as a running mate, so their slogan could be “Douche/LaRouche ’08!”

And for what it’s worth, I’m already sick to death of them trying to hide their crazy behind the Constitution. Ron Paul could give a rat’s ass about the Constitution except when it’s handy for providing cover for something he wanted to do anyway. Earmarks aren’t in the Constitution, but he’s never been shy about snuffling up to the public trough and burying his nose in it. F—–g hypocrite.

ReubenJCogburn on October 30, 2007 at 12:39 PM

So Allahpundit, as a lackey running dog of the Bilderberg Group, did you get your super secret decoder iPhone yet ?

elgeneralisimo on October 30, 2007 at 12:40 PM

I love it, congratulations! That is some accomplishment, indeed!

RW Wacko on October 30, 2007 at 12:43 PM

What I don’t understand, AP, is why you (as part of the worldwide, neokkkon mass-murder conspiracy) don’t just take this guy out? Really, who is going to protest your actions?

The 20% who will live? Hell no, they are in on the conspiracy as well!!

The 80% who are going to be exterminated? Who cares, they’re going to be dead anyway!!

I’m sorry, but I think your grand conspiracy is going to have problem if you can’t figure thi…..

(the person writing this post has been removed and exterminated for unwittingly exposing the conspiracy)

thirteen28 on October 30, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Everything is a conspiracy…even this post.

SouthernGent on October 30, 2007 at 12:49 PM

I love the John Gibson radio clip where John compares Alex Jones to the Big Lobowski.

VinceP1974 on October 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM

Didn’t Paul’s campaign say that the $1,300 refund was issued after the blogosphere talked about it?

Does that mean that Paul only agrees with 43.45% of Alex Jones’s conspiracies (1000/2300) ? That’s what I’m getting from this.

lorien1973 on October 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Allahpundit a neocon? That’s a good laugh considering Allahpundit is a liberal, a gay, and an Atheist.

SoulGlo on October 30, 2007 at 12:55 PM

I can hear the Allahpundit “BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA” all the way down in Dixie!

KelliD on October 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM

When one receives a donation, it seems returning it is not often the best use of it one can make. One can waste much time and energy demanding of others that they take actions that plainly would not support their interests. It seems better to remain attentive to the strategy and tactics of one’s own friends and allies.

Kralizec on October 30, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Nice.

Allahpundit on October 30, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Nice.
Allahpundit on October 30, 2007 at 1:02 PM

You to to one gay cowboy movie…

Slublog on October 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Crap. That should be “You GO to one gay cowboy movie.”

Slublog on October 30, 2007 at 1:04 PM

lorien1973 on October 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Did you really draw such a conclusion?

I hope I’m not wasting my time, urging us to stop wasting our time.

Kralizec on October 30, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Dang AP! All you need now is an insult from Rosie O fat piggo and you’ll have two thirds of the moonbat trifecta! Pretty soon we’ll be using your’s and Ann Coulters name in the same sentence.

csdeven on October 30, 2007 at 1:08 PM

An achievement to match fire melting steel!

Karl on October 30, 2007 at 1:14 PM

SoulGlo on October 30, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Knocking down “liberal” and “gay” is easy enough that I can confidently leave that work to others. But one is not atheist for merely being unaware that what one worships is the god.

Kralizec on October 30, 2007 at 1:16 PM

If this isn’t worthy of an iPhone delivered to your door, I don’t know what is!

revolutionismyname on October 30, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Kralizec on October 30, 2007 at 1:16 PM

grin.

JiangxiDad on October 30, 2007 at 1:20 PM

Michelle on October 30, 2007 at 12:16 PM

DIRTSNIFFINGHOTAIRNEOCONPUNDIT – just not the same without it.

Rick on October 30, 2007 at 1:24 PM

You’ve made it, AP. Congratulations!

Numenorean on October 30, 2007 at 1:28 PM

In that case, can you lend me a grand?

Slublog on October 30, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Why don’t we start with the $1300 refund first?

James on October 30, 2007 at 1:28 PM

You know you’ve hit the big time when you’re referred to as a “dirt sniffer.”

RMCS_USN on October 30, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Why don’t we start with the $1300 refund first?

Curses. Foiled again!

Slublog on October 30, 2007 at 1:32 PM

RightWinged on October 30, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Heh exactly. And anyway, everyone knows US currency is merely a TOOL of the SHADOW GOVERNMENT that’s trying to ENSLAVE US ALL buy doing something something etc etc and so on and so forth…. VOTE RON PAUL WOOT!

Dash on October 30, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Kralizec on October 30, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Heh…

Connie on October 30, 2007 at 1:46 PM

And I would have gotten away with it, if it weren’t for you meddlingdirt-sniffing kidsneocons.

BohicaTwentyTwo on October 30, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Wack jobs burn HA pundit in effigy……sounds like HA pundit needs a bonus….like a iPhone maybe.

Limerick on October 30, 2007 at 1:53 PM

How do you “accidentally” donate $2300 instead of $1000?

What a lying crock. The funny part of this is that his supporters will accept the explanation and blow it off.

Gregor on October 30, 2007 at 1:56 PM

So when can we get our Hotair.com “dirt-sniffer” t shirts?

liquidflorian on October 30, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Can you get addicted to sniffing dirt?

Rick on October 30, 2007 at 2:07 PM

THERE’S SOMETHING DEEPER HERE, FOLKS…

And I’m gonna find out. Jones, Paul and their cronies are in on something, and I’m going to blow this wide open.

Stay tuned when I release my free-on-the-net video titled Refunded Change: Teh Devil & Mr. Jones.

Hoodlumman on October 30, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Hey Gregor and all the others here asking this question:

How do you “accidentally” donate $2300 instead of $1000?

No, the LAME part is that you and all the others here didn’t take the 15 seconds required to type in ronpaul2008.com and click the donate button. Doing so would have instantly produced a clear explanation.

His donation page has a grid of radio button options, the 1K option being directly above the 2300 option. This is a non-issue.

y2church on October 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM

y2church on October 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Sorry, but some of us would rather die than click Ron Paul’s donate button.

Besides, someone else already explained this.

Esthier on October 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM

y2church on October 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM

So Jones’ explanation should be “I’m too stupid to use a mouse?”

Slublog on October 30, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Ahem. Not all. I did say that at 12:27.

Tanya on October 30, 2007 at 2:51 PM

I hope to be a DIRTSNIFFINGHOTAIRNEOCON when I grow up.

conservnut on October 30, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Oh god! I’m laughing so hard, I can’t breathe! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

eclark1849 on October 30, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I took another approach to this is and actually downloaded the data from the FEC for that report and looked at why and where the reporting error occurred and even got in touch by email with the author of the article about the issue.

Wow who would of thought of doing such a radical thing.

Well folks here is the result of having a look see.

When a campaign files their quarterly reports part of the filings are for disbursements (money spent by the campaign)

The FEC requires all these to be reported in a section called Schedule B of the report package.

Now the FEC breaks the spending up into 12 classes of spending and each disbursement has to fit one of these classes.

The author has been shown the data and he agrees with where the error occurred , I have no clue if he is going to update the story just for a clerical error.

FEC says you break it down by 12 classes of spending on Schedule B, but also it is required that each class of spending be reported on their own copy of the Schedule B and you can’t combine classes on a single form.  Each line item that goes on the form also included a class code indication the class of the expense.

Well the 1300.00 was recorded with a class code of 10 which is the proper class for a donation refund.

However it was reported on the Schedule B for Class 3 which is  Solicitation and Fundraising Expenses.

Most campaigns report on an average report only 8 or 9 of the 12 classes of spending.

The error was placing it on the wrong scheduled B even though coded correctly.  That was the reason if you look up Alex Jones in the data base it does not reflect the refund to him or if you look at the line 28A items it also does not reflect the refund but does show all other refunds the campaign processed.

So the Paul campaign will simply have to send in a correction form noting the error to fix it with a 15P processing error code applied.

CommentGuy on October 30, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Ok I looked at the raw data and the exact problem is even though the line item for  Alex Jones is correctly code with a transaction code of 10 to indicate a refund it was put on the wrong schedule b

Use Schedule B to
list each disbursement required to be
itemized. DO NOT combine more
than one category of disbursements
on the same Schedule B. Instead, use a
separate Schedule B for each category
of disbursements.

There are 12 categories and the Jones refund should have been grouped with the rest of category 10 line items but instead it was stuck in the category 3 Solicitation and FundRaising expenses schedule b. so even though it was coded correctly putting it on the wrong copy of the scheduled b was why is did not show up properly as a refund.

David Freddoso <david.freddoso@gmail.com> wrote: That is true — it’s under the wrong line number, even though it is labeled correctly.

On 10/29/07, Blog Poster <{redacted}@yahoo.com> wrote:
I hate to be the one to break the news to the Corner but they slightly messed it up. The Paul refund noted with their reference is not done in accordance with the FEC guidelines for filings. What they point to is the combined page of all the Schedule B line 28 items.

They somehow managed to miss that a refund should also be reflected in the sub report that only lists what are called line 28A items.

You can view that report which reflects all the refunds by the Paul campaign and you will see that the Jones refund is not in the list because it was not coded with the proper FEC transaction code to put it into the line 28A group.

That was a comment I posted over at HotAir.  I haven’t looked at the raw data yet from the FEC quarterly report but my guess is that the item was using the transaction type code for an expense rather than the proper one of it being a disbursement as it should have been.  The description used in the combined 28 item form is not how the FEC bins the stuff into the required sub reports the transaction type code is what is used to do that.

CommentGuy on October 30, 2007 at 3:51 PM

I have also emailed the FEC and am questioning why a properly coded donation refund even if on the wrong copy of the Schedule B should not be still processed per it’s class code.

This seems to be a flaw in the system, since the actual label was saying it was a contribution refund.

Still waiting for an answer on that.

CommentGuy on October 30, 2007 at 4:00 PM

I love that the Ron paulites are linking to this thread. Its like “I see Ron Paul’s name free publicity !”

William Amos on October 30, 2007 at 4:18 PM

CommentGuy on October 30, 2007 at 3:51 PM

You must be a blast at parties….

sweeper on October 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Hmmm this is like the YouTube report that Silky wants to shut down and how the Prof says to hold your ground because sometimes a non-story becomes the clip de jour. So what is really going on that Ron Paul wants to have covered up? Clearly this has something to do with hookers, beer, and cheetos.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 30, 2007 at 5:34 PM

You must be a blast at parties….

sweeper on October 30, 2007 at 5:03 PM

If he’s partly responsible for the wrong people not getting elected, he’ll deserve a party in his honor.

James on October 30, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Hey! I made it too.

He seems a bit more perturbed at Allah than he does with me. I’m jealous. I guess I’m just not a good enough “dirt sniffer” although I try – I do, try.

rick moran on October 30, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Someday, Rick. Someday. :)

AP, when you’re labeled a DIRTSNIFFINGHOTAIRNEOCON by Jones, does it come with a free t-shirt and a pair of socks?

GT on October 30, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Yay! A badge of honor for you. I was attacked by his site before. I didn’t realize who Alex Jones was then. This was over a year ago. Congrats!

Jay on October 30, 2007 at 7:21 PM

Is Allahpundit a neocon?
I thought he was an atheist.

MB4 on October 30, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Well, if conspiracy dweebs start calling you names you must be doing something right.

Keep up the good work.