Video: The Messiah has his saxophone moment

posted at 7:26 pm on October 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

Reminiscent of Clinton’s famous turn at the bandstand on Arsenio during the 1992 campaign. Charming, lighthearted, but also a shrewd way to communicate hipness, which, as I’ve written before, is a political asset that the left guards jealously. You can see how it works by asking yourself who the GOP’s “hippest” candidate is. Unquestionably it’s Ron Paul, a neat trick for the oldest man in the field whose strident libertarianism doesn’t easily lend itself to those “rEVOLution” banners that follow him around. How did Paul become hip? By being anti-war, a stance that’s inherited a certain amount of cultural cachet from the left and which he shares with most young voters. Alas for him, while it’s an asset, it’s not an especially valuable one: if it was, the Messiah wouldn’t be looking up at Hillary from 20 points down. Click the image to watch.

obama-dance.jpg

Comments

He’s dreamy.

Dash on October 29, 2007 at 7:28 PM

He was about this close to doing the White Man’s Overbite.

Mindcrime on October 29, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Um, er…never mind.

baldilocks on October 29, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Everybody at Huffpo hates Obama. Whats up with that? Something to do with GLBT. Who’s GLBT? Is he kind of like Obama’s Spencer Abraham or something?

Zetterson on October 29, 2007 at 7:33 PM

If anyone needs to be reminded that Obama is indeed half-white, they only need to watch this. Also, AP for you to say this : “a shrewd way to communicate hipness”; whoa, you are SOOOO white. That was embarrassing. That’s Kerry in the bunny suit, Dukakis in the tank embarrassing.

RW Wacko on October 29, 2007 at 7:35 PM

That was kind of cute, but if he adopts a lip bite he is going to earn my contempt.

I hope that he took the time to cheer up Ellen on the loss of her dog. Spread the hope and all that.

Spirit of 1776 on October 29, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Who’s GLBT?

Zetterson, real question?

Spirit of 1776 on October 29, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Who’s GLBT

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender.

Also, did you see the way he was moving his hands around at the beginning. Yikes, either he was pandering to Ellen’s core fan base or something is going on there. Obama on the down low?

RW Wacko on October 29, 2007 at 7:38 PM

What was up with his hand movements? They had that John Kerry-eating-a-cheesesteak daintiness about them.

NOT hip.

Michelle on October 29, 2007 at 7:38 PM

My first comment awaiting moderation message! Yippeee!

RW Wacko on October 29, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Fairly sure he just lost the “black vote” (if he hadn’t already).

bambam on October 29, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Michelle on October 29, 2007 at 7:38 PM

I’m with you there, Michelle. My comment awaiting moderation is in agreement with you. Something really odd about his hands in the beginning.

RW Wacko on October 29, 2007 at 7:40 PM

I hope allah puts up Obama’s MTV vids about IRaq. He goes into great detail about the difference between “Combat” troops and regular troops

William Amos on October 29, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Hey, Hillary is hip-py.

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Yeah, there in a Obama bashing mood over at crook and liars. Liberals are so vicious even too their own. I’m happy I belong to a party that will not eat it’s own like the libs do. We accept people who don’t necessarily agree with us on everything.

terryannonline on October 29, 2007 at 7:41 PM

They had that John Kerry-eating-a-cheesesteak daintiness about them.

If Coulter sees it she’ll murder him.

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Anyone remember the Urkel dance?

nosliwelyk on October 29, 2007 at 7:42 PM

I liked his dancing. It was lighthearted and understated– didn’t look to me like he had a stick up his bottom like a HuffPo commenter said. I’m surprised they’re being so hard on him. What did they want? Dirty dancing with Ellen? Lewd hip thrusts or crotch-grabbing action? At least he danced, which none of the wrinkly old white guys (or gal) in the race are likely to do.

But what do I know. I’m a thirty-something suburban conservative white mom.

aero on October 29, 2007 at 7:42 PM

We accept people who don’t necessarily agree with us on everything.

Ha. Not in Pres. candidates it seems.

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2007 at 7:43 PM

And even if they did, I’m not sure I’d want to see it.

Slublog on October 29, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Anyone remember the Urkel dance?

nosliwelyk on October 29, 2007 at 7:42 PM

The 80s were a time of liberation for nerds and geeks everywhere! All it took to transcend your nerdiness was to invent a dance. It happened at the end of almost every teen romcom in that decade. Glad to see Urkel found it within himself to come up with a dance. I assume he got the girl at the end too as a result?

Mindcrime on October 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Are you referring to Rudy? He’s beating all the other GOP candidates in national polls, isn’t he?

terryannonline on October 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Zetterson, real question?

Spirit of 1776 on October 29, 2007 at 7:37 PM

No Spirit. Just kidding. Poking a little fun at our friends over at Huffpo. I often find humor in the things they find to be important qualifications for President of the United States. You know what made Thomas Jefferson’s actions so important to the successful growth of our republic? According to them it must have been the fact that he was Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, transgender friendly. And I love the way they lump those 4 things together into one, so called, issue. It really is amazing to me that people are trying to kill them right now yet they cannot get past their infatuation for alternative sexual lifestyles. How are we losing to these idiots? I mean really?

Zetterson on October 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Everyone please note that this comment didn’t come from me. :-)

baldilocks on October 29, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Plus didn’t Rudy dance at that Hasty Pudding thing at Harvard where he appeared in drag?

Mindcrime on October 29, 2007 at 7:46 PM

We accept people who don’t necessarily agree with us on everything.

Ha. Not in Pres. candidates it seems.

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Have to agree with JianxiDad on that one. Some serious cannibalism going on on our side these days. Want some barbecue sauce with that Rudy? How ’bout some relish on your Mitt? Don’t even mention Fred. Csdeven will start salivating and fire up the ol’ grill again.

aero on October 29, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Ooops did I use a word that was over the line? If so, I apologize folks.

Zetterson on October 29, 2007 at 7:47 PM

And even if they did, I’m not sure I’d want to see it.

Slublog on October 29, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Heh. Good point.

aero on October 29, 2007 at 7:48 PM

terryannonline on October 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Ha again. I was referring to all of them, and how HA commenters appear, to me, to feel.

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2007 at 7:48 PM

NOT hip.

Michelle on October 29, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Oh, come on, Shelley. It was hip and Christ-like and you know it!

Jaibones on October 29, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Will we judge our presidential candidates not for their stance on global politics, illegal immigration, and the US economy, but on their ability to shake their groove thing on a talk show? (and I use the descriptor of ED’s show loosely)

At least he didn’t let out an ‘eeee-heeee’ and grab his crotch while moon-walking… s/off!

Biffstir on October 29, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Biffstir on October 29, 2007 at 7:49 PM

I would vote for any candidate that had the balls to do that on TV.

Mindcrime on October 29, 2007 at 7:51 PM

I was watching the show today and joking with my girlfriend about how that was the white part dancing. Ellen’s right about him being the best dancer of any of them, and Obama’s also right that the bar is very, very low.

BadgerHawk on October 29, 2007 at 7:51 PM

Biffstir on October 29, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Yes. Did you miss this Onion report on the significance of the Idjit Vote?

aero on October 29, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Also, Kid Rock hit the pink punching bag harder and raised more money than Obama. Even the kid with one leg raised more money than he did.

BadgerHawk on October 29, 2007 at 7:53 PM

He is a stereotype.

You know a politician that will say or do anything to get elected

TheSitRep on October 29, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Karl Rove was more hip when he danced.

Zetterson on October 29, 2007 at 7:55 PM

He can bust moves but hes still an empty suit

William Amos on October 29, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Oh, holy cow, the Crooks and Liars* are going off on the Messiah.

(* You gotta love truth in advertising…)

Jaibones on October 29, 2007 at 7:58 PM

If Obama doesn’t get the nomination, I wonder if Ellen will cry and wail on her show… “IT’S ALL MY FAULT!”

SilverStar830 on October 29, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Zetterson on October 29, 2007 at 7:33 PM

The Huffpos hate Obama because of his refusal to oust ex-gay Christian singer Donnie McClurkin from some event that was held recently. (GLBT=Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transgendered)

baldilocks on October 29, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Zetterson on October 29, 2007 at 7:33 PM

I wish you could post that comment over there. They would go mad!!!

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Please, I just ate.

CloneTrooper on October 29, 2007 at 8:13 PM

I’m surprised they’re being so hard on him. What did they want? Dirty dancing with Ellen? Lewd hip thrusts or crotch-grabbing action? …

aero on October 29, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Remember this moment and bookmark it.

As soon as Hillary names Obama her running mate, the forcefield of moonbat sainthood will descend upon him again, and any Republican who disses him (like the moonbats are dissing him now) will be a racist.

The double standard is as predictable as it is despicable.

Ali-Bubba on October 29, 2007 at 8:20 PM

As soon as Hillary names Obama her running mate…

Yeah, that’s a fear. Also, 3rd party candidate. Either one or both would tip the balance I fear. What’s the Republican’s ace-in-the-hole. Michael Steele?

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Not that I could do any better, but those were some lame moves.

Zorro on October 29, 2007 at 8:34 PM

What’s the Republican’s ace-in-the-hole. Michael Steele?

JiangxiDad on October 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Dunno. Can he dance? ;-)

aero on October 29, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Dunno. Can he dance? ;-)

aero on October 29, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Careful: Any Republican who answers “yes” is … ?

That’s right, boys and girl: a racist!

These rules are simply amazing, aren’t they?

Ali-Bubba on October 29, 2007 at 8:45 PM

If anyone needs to be reminded that Obama is indeed half-white

Pretty fly…..for a white guy

sweeper on October 29, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Ellen danced better than Obama. He just got served.

Dork B. on October 29, 2007 at 9:36 PM

At first I thought, ” Wow, Hillary is dancing better than Obama!” But then I figured it out.
Anyway, I’m going to practice that move in my mirror – I’ll call it the Barama. Maybe the Obamma …with just enough overbite to make it look Presidential!

Dork B. on October 29, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Didn’t Cosby say something about black folks dancing for white folks on Oprah? “We don’t have to do that anymore…”

Where is your pride man?! Surely they coordinated his entry. Is he so desperate that he caved in to Ellen? He just couldn’t say no, could he? “I’m running for President, and must keep a certain image. I’m glad to joke with you in the interview, but dancing is out.”

What was he gonna do if Ellen started to dance her bum over to his hips?

Agrippa2k on October 29, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Dance lessons

dont taze me bro on October 29, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Dances better than I do.

I have better ideas about the merits of invading Pakistan though…

tlynch001 on October 29, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Uhm . . . yikes

ToddonCapeCod on October 29, 2007 at 10:36 PM

NWA want him for their reunion video.

profitsbeard on October 30, 2007 at 12:25 AM

Don’t be silly. It’s a TV talk show. These posts read like an inside joke going round and round.

davod on October 30, 2007 at 5:45 AM

Obama’s dancing pales in comparison to this famous politician:

HeIsSailing on October 30, 2007 at 9:37 AM

It is amazing what libs will do to get noticed.

Also it gives dancing a bad name. Partners, according to Arther Murry, is a male and female who have specific moves to appear as a single unit.

Ellen has degenerated an elegant art into something akin to a NFL Exhibitionist’s end zone dance that is worth a penalty.

MSGTAS on October 30, 2007 at 10:40 AM

I actually felt sorry for Barack Obama attempting so desperately to appear cool. He did the same thing on The Tonight Show, telling Jay Leno how his (Barack’s) daughter made Dick Cheney do “high fives” with her so that “Cheney could get down with his peeps”. Mr. Obama does not use language like that in his daily discourse. He is a policy wonk from the Harvard Law Review and it so patently obvious that he is trying to appear “way cool”. Lately, when asked about his music tastes, Mr. Obama keeps citing Jay-Z. My guess is that Mr. Obama can not recite too many Jay-Z songs. But to the nerdy types at the 3 television networks, Barack Obama is the epitome of cool.

Larraby on October 30, 2007 at 11:48 AM

The guy has rthym. Only somebody who cannot dance will say the guy can’t dance. He can defdinitely get down if he has to…Good for him. As a brother, he shouldn’t be ashamed.

Chudi on October 30, 2007 at 4:44 PM