Video: The Georgia Bulldogs’ “excessive celebration”

posted at 9:17 pm on October 29, 2007 by Bryan

Here’s the back story: Georgia tends to lose to Florida. They hate Florida and they hate losing, and they usually get to experience both at the same time every year.

With the season more or less on the line Saturday, stoic Georgia coach Mark Richt decided to shake things up.

“I told the team two weeks ago that I was going to create enthusiasm, whether they liked it or not,” he said. “If they didn’t get a celebration penalty after our first touchdown, all of them would be doing early morning runs.”

So what did the Bulldogs do when they scored first on Florida, late in the first quarter?

Georgia went on to win, 42-30, and vault to #10 in the rankings.

Comments

He’s obviously not the coach who said, “When you get to the end zone, act like you’ve been there before.”

Labamigo on October 29, 2007 at 9:22 PM

I watched that live and laughed my ass off. Georgia had to kick off from their 7 1/2 yard line.

BadgerHawk on October 29, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Labamigo on October 29, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Amen

Alden Pyle on October 29, 2007 at 9:24 PM

The only thing that would have made this story better would be if the touchdown was called back after review.

Queasy on October 29, 2007 at 9:30 PM

If I was the coach, I’d have said it was worth it. It fires up the whole team. Team gets excited to beat defending champs and major rivals. It makes football fun.

I wish they would let them celebrate. That’s part of the fun of the NFL. As long as it doesn’t degrade the other team and only celebrates your success, it should be OK.

Now, I question the sanity of allowing people on the field that shouldn’t be there – deserves a penalty. But you are sort of asking for a fight. But this is an exception that seemed like fun for the whole team.

ThackerAgency on October 29, 2007 at 9:34 PM

I thought that was a genius move by Richt. Genius move. He got his team so pumped up.

p0s3r on October 29, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Kirk Herbstreit dubbed it the coaching “call of the day” Saturday. Unconventional, yes, but the results speak for themselves.

42-30, and Gators wear jean shorts!

Gooooo Dawgs, sic ‘em! WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF!

marykatharine on October 29, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Well, that was a heck of a fun thing to see! Good for the coach.

reine.de.tout on October 29, 2007 at 9:51 PM

42-30, and Gators wear jean shorts!

Gooooo Dawgs, sic ‘em! WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF!

marykatharine on October 29, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Congrats on the win! And the Gators will remember, and we will start a new streak next year! The Dawgs will be victim # 8 on Tim Tebow’s Heisman tour!

Gatordoug on October 29, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Labamigo on October 29, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Exactly.
I do not follow football, and I have lived in both Ga and Fl.

I am with Fl on this. What a display of sophomoric behavior.

CrimsonFisted on October 29, 2007 at 10:02 PM

I am with Fl on this. What a display of sophomoric behavior.

CrimsonFisted on October 29, 2007 at 10:02 PM

This is not a Gator-Bulldog issue This is a classless move on his part. What if the whole Gator team had run out? What then? A melee?
The Georgia coach should be suspended. Most celebration penalties are petty and stupid, let the kids have fun. This, though deserved stiffer penalties.

Gatordoug on October 29, 2007 at 10:06 PM

lulz

Good Lt on October 29, 2007 at 10:10 PM

BTW – that was freikin’ awesome.

Class nothin’. This is FOOTBALL.

Good Lt on October 29, 2007 at 10:11 PM

I agree that there was a risk of a fight in this instance, but it looked like the coach warned them about that. Look at the linemen who were on the field. They first gestured for everyone to come out onto the field. Then the linemen lined up on their side of the field to act as a sort of a buffer between the teams.

The only problem with this was the danger of a fight. But I think that the coach stressed it before they decided to do it not to provoke anything just jump and cheer without mingling or speaking with the other team.

ThackerAgency on October 29, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Some folks need to loosen up. ;)

Frankly, as long as the Gators didn’t waterboard the Bulldogs, I don’t see what the problem is.

GT on October 29, 2007 at 10:14 PM

This is a classless move on his part.

Aww, come on, Gatordoug. We all know the Ol’ Ball Coach was never exactly a paragon of class. Richt is a really decent guy who made an unconventional call, so the enthusiasm could overcome that daggone Cocktail Party curse.

marykatharine on October 29, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Did my undergrad at UGA and thought it was kind of classless, too. Dooley wouldn’t have done it.

RW Wacko on October 29, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Whoopee that is important. GO BUCKS

mjkazee on October 29, 2007 at 10:23 PM

That was flat UGA-ly.

FishFearMe on October 29, 2007 at 10:24 PM

I get so tired of “Excessive Celebration” penalties. Let ‘em celebrate. Let ‘em have fun! Loosen up a little bit. Man. Especially if it’s a big score late in a big game. Of course, the scoring team is going to be excited! Shouldn’t get a flag for being a human. /soap box

Ordinary1 on October 29, 2007 at 10:27 PM

And the Gators will remember, and we will start a new streak next year!

You can never beat the Bulldogs too often.

Go Gators!

It’s been a while since I was at a FL-GA game, but I remember tensions running quite high.

And that was just the fans…

INC on October 29, 2007 at 10:28 PM

marykatharine on October 29, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Look, I always liked Richt, I just think this move was out of bounds.
Georgia was the better team Saturday, and no doubt the SEC is the best conference in the country, AGAIN!
BTW, I think UGA is the best mascot going! Remember him trying to bite that Suburn player?

Gatordoug on October 29, 2007 at 10:32 PM

OOPS I meant Auburn player

Gatordoug on October 29, 2007 at 10:32 PM

Go Gators!

And that was just the fans…

INC on October 29, 2007 at 10:28 PM

When we a RB and a D to go with that offense? LOOKOUT!

Gatordoug on October 29, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Ordinary1 on October 29, 2007 at 10:27 PM

I agree! It is a game after all

Gatordoug on October 29, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Whoopee that is important. GO BUCKS

mjkazee on October 29, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Go who?

Gatordoug on October 29, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Tebow was home-schooled, but was able to play for Allan Nease High School north of St Augustine. Best high school QB in Florida for two years. By next year, with him, the Gayters will be Unstoppable.

This year, the learning curve is uneven

Janos Hunyadi on October 29, 2007 at 10:37 PM

Labamigo on October 29, 2007 at 9:22 PM

That’d be Darrell K Royal

He also said “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”, “Old ugly is better than old nothin’” and “We live one day at a time and scratch where it itches.”

Drtuddle on October 29, 2007 at 10:54 PM

OOPS I meant Auburn player

I would have kicked that dog through the uprights if that had been me. That dog’s ugly.

Oh yeah, War Eagle!

tdau1997 on October 29, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Heh…Tebow who?

lsutiger on October 29, 2007 at 11:08 PM

tdau1997 on October 29, 2007 at 11:07 PM

LOL!

Gatordoug on October 29, 2007 at 11:08 PM

I was watching the game and it was awesome to see them do that. Richt is a former FSU assistant so I like to see his team do well even though I’ve never been a SEC fan. Also being an FSU fan means I like to see Florida lose and I ended up watching the whole game to see how that move would work out for UGA.

Benaiah on October 29, 2007 at 11:10 PM

Sometimes you gotta let cha n$%s hang. If they had lost O_O.

Their running back was on fire, running like a beast. They put a stake through Florida’s heart late in the game. Great game Georgia.

Theworldisnotenough on October 29, 2007 at 11:14 PM

As a U of South Carolina fan, I have to say that I hate Georgia in every way a team can be hated. They and their fans suck. However, this was on par with what the Florida head coach did to Auburn by calling a timeout at the very last second to try and freeze the field goal kicker. I don’t see how FU fans can be too upset. Classless is as classless does.

Go Gamecocks! The SEC rules!

SouthernGent on October 29, 2007 at 11:29 PM

SouthernGent on October 29, 2007 at 11:29 PM

Every coach tries to freeze the kicker!

Gatordoug on October 29, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Jeez Southern Gent, do you have some unresolved childhood issues or what? We suck? You hateus? I was feeling pretty bad about y’all getting beat by Tennessee, but maybe it was a good thing. And I’m betting that if Spurrier had made that call you’d be hailing it as an act of genius.
A Classless Georgia Fan

mugged on October 29, 2007 at 11:40 PM

I question the timing?

abinitioadinfinitum on October 29, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Oh, no he didn’t.

Beautiful

marykatharine on October 29, 2007 at 11:56 PM

A Classless Georgia Fan

mugged on October 29, 2007 at 11:40 PM

You must have me confused with a Clemson fan. I have berated Spurrier for allowing players who have broken rules to play at all this season for South Carolina. It’s nothing personal. I’ve never like Georgia (or Florida for that matter). I suppose some of it is from y’all dominating us all those years! Believe me, I’m not mad y’all beat Florida.

It was just a curious call from the same coach who publicly apologized to Vanderbilt for some of his players stomping on their mid-field emblem/mascot painting.

SouthernGent on October 30, 2007 at 12:02 AM

ThackerAgency on October 29, 2007 at 9:34 PM

They got 2 15 yard penalties for that. I think there were 6 15 yarders in the first half alone. Great game.

BadgerHawk on October 30, 2007 at 12:26 AM

BadgerHawk

Yeah they got one for taunting because one of the UGA guys was doing a little dance right in the face of the Florida players. UGA ended up kicking off from their 7.5 yard line. lol

Still awesome and it reminded me a bit of my old Oakland Raiders. Except of course the Raiders would get a few personal fouls to set the tone and not just wimpy unsportsman like conduct penalties. ;)

Win, lose, or tie, Oakland Raider till I die.

Benaiah on October 30, 2007 at 1:59 AM

MKH is a Dawgs fan?

I love you. Marry me. Let me have your children.

fusionaddict on October 30, 2007 at 2:46 AM

This is a classless move on his part.

marykatharine on October 29, 2007 at 10:22 PM

If this Ole Miss fan’s memory serves, didn’t he of the visor coin the term, hang seventy on ‘em”?

SEC seems to be well represented here.

Yet to see any fans of those “other dawgs” tho.
Glad to know HA is keeping up standards.

hehehe

soundingboard on October 30, 2007 at 3:58 AM

Oh…and the celebration?

Those college kids play for the love of the game.

All but a very few will never be paid to play.

I say, as long as it’s a celebration of one’s own team, and not a denigration of the opponent, let ‘em have some fun.

soundingboard on October 30, 2007 at 4:06 AM

Congratz on your THIRD win in 18 YEARS!!! You must be proud!

I’d poop my pants too if I finally beat the Gators.

ANNOUNCER: Here’s to you, Mr. Delusional Irrational Georgia fan.

BACKUP SINGER: Mr. Delusional Irrational Georgia fan.

ANNOUNCER: Season after season, year after year, you try to justify your absurdly high ranking.

BACKUP SINGER: Why aren’t we number one?

ANNOUNCER: You scramble to make futile attempts at damage control when the Dawgs lose to a grossly inferior opponent.

BACKUP SINGER: How’d we lose to Vandy?

ANNOUNCER: Inevitably, you’ll bring up the past, and boast of championships won 20 years before you were born.

BACKUP SINGER: Oooooh, Herschel Walker!

ANNOUNCER: You point out that you have more wins over Florida, as though that is relevant to the recent past.

BACKUP SINGER: Five wins in 20 years!

ANNOUNCER: Go on, ignore those National and SEC Championships your archrival has amassed during your paltry three-wins-in-18-years, and continue to believe that you actually have a chance to be crowned champions again anytime soon.

BACKUP SINGER: We’re on a roll!

ANNOUNCER: So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, oh Queens of Celebratin’, and take comfort knowing that when you don’t finish in the top 25, you’ll be back to number three when the preseason polls come out next year.

BACKUP SINGER: Mr. Delusional, Irrational Georgia Fannnnnnn!

Anheuser-Busch, St Louis, Missouri

HarryBalzac on October 30, 2007 at 5:49 AM

Expect the same when Michigan defeats Ohio State. :)

ackrite55 on October 30, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Too bad we weren’t playing for the water rights. It would have been nice to shut off water to FL who isn’t suffering a drought like we are in GA. Every day the Corps of Engineers release 3.2 BILLION gallons of water to send downstream to FL to protect their mussels and tourism.

LakeRuins on October 30, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Congratz on your THIRD win in 18 YEARS!!! You must be proud!

I am! It was awesome!

Gooooooooooo DAWGS! SIC EM! WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF

Loundry on October 30, 2007 at 9:34 AM

I am! It was awesome!

Loundry on October 30, 2007 at 9:34 AM

UGA…where mediocrity equals success in the classroom and on the field.

HarryBalzac on October 30, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Matthew Zemek of College Football News devotes his column this week to some liberal navel gazing over what this episode says about the state of our society today. Complete with citations to Greg Easterbrook (“senior editor at the New Republic and fellow at the Brookings Institution, a major think tank in Washington, D.C.”). The only thing missing is finding a way to blame it on Bush.

And Spurrier never hung 70 on UGA, but he did put up 52 between the hedges when they played there in 1995.

Dudley Smith on October 30, 2007 at 10:18 AM

I loved it. In a sports game, some penalties are worth taking, and it had the intended effect of rallying the team. It’s no worse than a basketball team’s purposefully (without malice, of course) fouling the opposing team’s worst free throw shooter to stop the clock to try to come back and win.

OK, I’ll admit it, I also love it because I like seeing Florida suffer. I organized a group of friends to meet in Ohio from across the country to watch the OSU Buckeyes humble Florida back in January. We ended up having 16 seconds of great fun and then eating a rather miserable-tasting 41-14 humble pie. If I were a Florida fan, I’m sure I’d be struggling to write my drivel of my first paragraph.

Should the Georgia coach be fined for this move? Yeah, probably. $25,000 sounds about right. Will he say it was worth every penny? I bet he will.

flutejpl on October 30, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Not since the 1980 US Olympic Hockey team beat the Soviets has a single sporting victory been so important.

That was right about the last time that Georgia football had any relevance.

HarryBalzac on October 30, 2007 at 11:53 AM

3 wins in 18 years….
I guess that the sun even shines on a dogs a$$ every now and again

burnitup on October 30, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Oh, no he didn’t.

Beautiful.

marykatharine on October 29, 2007 at 11:56 PM

Oh yeah, he did. That’s how I roll.

tdau1997 on October 30, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Wait, that was planned?? I’m sorry, that was a bunch of players running in off the bench.

I was expecting something akin to the entrance of the Titans (sing it with me: “Mighty Mighty Titans”) with choreography and all ‘dat jazz in “Remember The Titans.” THAT was planned! Of course, also scripted, brilliantly cast and filmed over several weeks or months. But still… (I love that flick…)

Captain Scarlet on October 30, 2007 at 8:24 PM