Quote of the day

posted at 11:05 pm on October 29, 2007 by Allahpundit

“A study of former high-school American Football players has found that more than a third said they had had sexual relations with other men…

Dr Anderson … found that this sex came in the form of two men and one woman, as well as just two men alone…

‘[M]y informants do not feel that their same-sex sex jeopardizes their socially perceived heterosexual identities, at least within the cheerleading culture…’”

Comments

Oh man. Allah – I love the wildly different topics from which your “Quote of the Day” posts are chosen.

Simply awesome.

nailinmyeye on October 29, 2007 at 11:13 PM

Oh man! Why did you have to post this?!?!? OU plays Texas A&M this Saturday! I don’t need to hear this crap right now.

thedecider on October 29, 2007 at 11:14 PM

Oh, and, a study of 47 “informants” seems a tad small to make a claim like this:

Over One-third Of Former American Football Players Had Sexual Relations With Men

Buy, just the same – I wrestled.

nailinmyeye on October 29, 2007 at 11:16 PM

I see. A potential bias:

Dr Anderson was the first openly gay male high school sports coach in the US. He left coaching after one of his students was assaulted because it was assumed that he was gay.

This explains alot. For me, anyway. Don’t ruin it!

thedecider on October 29, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Buy, just the same – I wrestled.

Wrestlers are bi?

harrison on October 29, 2007 at 11:19 PM

my informants do not feel that their same-sex sex jeopardizes their socially perceived heterosexual identities, at least within the cheerleading culture.

Sometimes I think they deliberately write misleading headlines to attract traffic. Gentlemen who leave high school football for college cheerleading are more likely to have sex with other men?

PARADIGM SHIFT!

see-dubya on October 29, 2007 at 11:20 PM

So…a study confirms that a significant number of male cheerleaders engage in homosexual acts.

I’m. Shocked.

Who’s got that Spartan Spirit?

Jack M. on October 29, 2007 at 11:21 PM

Wrestlers are bi?

harrison on October 29, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Heh – I meant “but.”

nailinmyeye on October 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Oh good, this “Quote of the day” thread, unlike yesterdays, is not on religion. I get into so much trouble on those. Let’s see if I can stay out of trouble on this “Quote of the day” thread.

but had failed to be picked for their university’s team and were now cheerleaders instead…

This makes me think of neocons, most never in the military, but oh how they like to cheer lead.

On second though I think that I will probably get into trouble on even a thread like this.

Oh well.

MB4 on October 29, 2007 at 11:25 PM

I played tight end.

Let the jokes commence.

I was a defensive end, too, but not a very good one.

see-dubya on October 29, 2007 at 11:31 PM

Tight ends and wide receivers.

I thought this was supposed to be a post about Red Eye… what’s all this football player/cheerleader nonsense?

I was a defensive end, too, but not a very good one.

see-dubya on October 29, 2007 at 11:31 PM

I heard that’s why Gutfeld kicked you out of the activity pit… He likes it when they put up a fight.

RightWinged on October 29, 2007 at 11:37 PM

It’s all a matter of how you play with those balls.

Sometimes a cigar sack is just a cigar sack.”

profitsbeard on October 29, 2007 at 11:53 PM

really. I mean it should have just said ’1/3 of male cheerleaders in college are gay’.

Nice headline AP.

ThackerAgency on October 29, 2007 at 11:55 PM

Tight ends and wide receivers.

I’m not even going to read this one, I’m tired of Larry Craig stories.

abinitioadinfinitum on October 30, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Please. Calling b.s. on this “survey.” My meter is pegged at “Gimme a break.”

Meryl Yourish on October 30, 2007 at 12:17 AM

The 47 men, aged 18-23, were all American Football players who previously played at the high school (secondary school) level but had failed to be picked for their university’s team and were now cheerleaders instead. They were at various universities from the American south, Mid-West, west and north west.

47 men throughout the country from different universities in the regions mentioned, that are now cheerleaders – that’s like 1 guy from each school (maybe).

He said that the sexual acts described differed from acts of ‘hazing’ or team-bonding that often include pretend-homosexual acts.

When did pretending to do something start to mean that you were actually doing what you were pretending to do?

And when did people start calling athletes “sportsmen”?

Rick on October 30, 2007 at 12:27 AM

The question is, how many of the others own a Donnie McClurkin CD?

Zaire67 on October 30, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Bulla bullaaaaa, bulla bullaaaaa!

Kini on October 30, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Question:

And when did people start calling athletes “sportsmen”?

Rick on October 30, 2007 at 12:27 AM

Answer:

RightWinged on October 30, 2007 at 12:40 AM

I’m not even going to read this one, I’m tired of Larry Craig stories.

abinitioadinfinitum on October 30, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Wide Stances, 45, blue 52, HIKE!

LOL!

Kini on October 30, 2007 at 12:42 AM

RightWinged on October 30, 2007 at 12:40 AM

All we are missing is the pic of Johnny the sportsman doing the splits (along with the rest of the male cheerleaders).

Rick on October 30, 2007 at 12:48 AM

A couple of observations:
1.) Male cheerleaders gay? No way.
2.) Big difference between 2 guys alone and 2 with a girl (the girl makes it a little less gay)

dedalus on October 30, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Well it gives Olby something to talk about on Sunday Night Football.

Limerick on October 30, 2007 at 1:01 AM

Please. Calling b.s. on this “survey.” My meter is pegged at “Gimme a break.”

Meryl Yourish on October 30, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Mine is pegged at WTF?

How do you get funding for this tripe? I’m in the wrong line of work…

liquidflorian on October 30, 2007 at 1:13 AM

dedalus on October 30, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Putting a gal on a spit is ok, but any activity where the male genitalia touch, is way gay.

csdeven on October 30, 2007 at 1:18 AM

I’m hearing you on that.

dedalus on October 30, 2007 at 1:22 AM

How do you get funding for this tripe? I’m in the wrong line of work…

liquidflorian on October 30, 2007 at 1:13 AM

Do watch Red Eye? They report on DOZENS of equally stupid “studies” all the time. Just another example of what has become of “science”. How often do we see studies showing that women like girlier men, followed by other studies that show they like smelly guys, followed by other studies that show they like guys with protruding foreheads, etc. etc. etc. It’s all bullsh**. The agenda is set before the studies are done. That said, I didn’t really even pay attention to this one, because it’s just so stupid… I gather that it claims to show that a lot of male cheerleaders have had gay experiences? Wow, what a shocker!

RightWinged on October 30, 2007 at 1:32 AM

“On a spit”?

see-dubya on October 30, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Is it possible that Dr Anderson is seeking a patent on his own special brand of rose-colored glasses?

hillbillyjim on October 30, 2007 at 1:33 AM

“On a spit”?
see-dubya on October 30, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Honestly, I’m not sure how to describe this without graphic words. Well, you would put a pig on a spit to roast it over a fire. Typically, you would put one spit in the mouth and the other in the opposite end.

csdeven on October 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM

That’s usually a very helpful science education website and yet the article belongs on theonion.com.

Next up: “76% of global warming deniers are homosexual”

Survey conducted in the alley behind The Manhole Bar and Grille.

pedestrian on October 30, 2007 at 2:07 AM

Okay, I would roast the pig, deer, whatever, with one single spit that went in one end and came out the other.

Hence the confusion, I guess.

see-dubya on October 30, 2007 at 2:14 AM

Sort of reminds me of all those feminist arguing in the 1980s that Football was a gay sport because the wouldnt let women in the sport.

This is just another attempt by the left to legitimize homosexuality by comparing it to a national past time

William Amos on October 30, 2007 at 2:15 AM

William Amos on October 30, 2007 at 2:15 AM

I think it was one guy trying to legitimize pedophelia by calling it a scientific study.

pedestrian on October 30, 2007 at 2:18 AM

Hence the confusion, I guess.
see-dubya on October 30, 2007 at 2:14 AM

True, but now you get the idea.

csdeven on October 30, 2007 at 2:25 AM

Yes… he asked 47 of his “special friends” if they were gay… and amazingly they said YES???

Wow… science at its best…

Romeo13 on October 30, 2007 at 2:29 AM

I wouldn’t even know how to go about finding 47 male cheerleaders who were former football players. But a scientific study where I’d have to peak under the skirts of all the female cheerleaders? Sign me up.

I’ll be in my bunk.

pedestrian on October 30, 2007 at 2:36 AM

Allah revealed our Quote of the Day,
Which said male cheerleaders often are gay,
Science has shown
That when they’re alone,
Tight ends and receivers get the play.

PaisleyCow on October 30, 2007 at 2:39 AM

Heh – I meant “but.”

nailinmyeye on October 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM

Coulda been worse.

Butt it was’t.

soundingboard on October 30, 2007 at 2:54 AM

Hence the confusion, I guess.

see-dubya on October 30, 2007 at 2:14 AM

True, but now you get the idea.

csdeven on October 30, 2007 at 2:25 AM

See-Dub is always sharp as a tack.
However, I’m not sure he has considered the variable in the “girl on a spit” equation.

He may be employing an incorrect basis point.

Or just one serious spit.

soundingboard on October 30, 2007 at 3:05 AM

George Bush was a cheerleader.

Just “raising questions” as they say…

Lehosh on October 30, 2007 at 6:18 AM

George Bush was a cheerleader.

Just “raising questions” as they say…

Raises some troubling questions about that Skull & Bones club…

trubble on October 30, 2007 at 6:37 AM

I’m with pedestrian, I want to do the study of the proclivities of female volley ball players.

bbz123 on October 30, 2007 at 7:39 AM

During the era of bad stewardship a.k.a. the Clinton Administration. Don’t you remember how he would come out with some program and then take credit for the “results” before anything actually happened?

highhopes on October 30, 2007 at 8:07 AM

Spit?

Come on guys…

Just a completely dehumanizing way to talk about a woman.

nailinmyeye on October 30, 2007 at 8:20 AM

nailinmyeye on October 30, 2007 at 8:20 AM

That wasn’t my point. My point was the reference to the two guys and a girl scenario and how far it can go before it is gay. To avoid graphic language, I used a term that is less obvious. It was not meant in a dehumanizing way and I apologize if it struck you as so.

csdeven on October 30, 2007 at 8:52 AM

‘1/3 of male cheerleaders in college are gay’.

…and the rest are just athletic supporters…
…and the rest are in denial…..
…and…..

CBarker on October 30, 2007 at 9:25 AM

Hello?????

Big suprise huh, I wonder why they didn’t make the team???????

conservnut on October 30, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Wait a minute! WAIT A MINUTE!
Is this Dr. McFeelygood saying that Will Ferrel’s cheerleader character was gay? But…Cheri Oteri is a woman! How straight is that?
Two words you will never hear uttered anywhere:
“Gay pediatrician”.

Doug on October 30, 2007 at 10:59 AM

In the words of Dice Clay: “There is NO bisexual. You either suck dick, or you do not suck dick. If you suck dick, you’re a fag.”

Its Tommy on October 30, 2007 at 11:04 AM

Hasta la vista, Tommy.

fiatboomer on October 30, 2007 at 11:14 AM

In a related study scientists scoured the land to locate 17 former high-school basketball players who now star in stage productions of popular musicals, and found an even higher reported incidence of homosexual conduct. Go figure!

Blacklake on October 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM

And when did people start calling athletes “sportsmen”?

Rick on October 30, 2007 at 12:27 AM

It’s part of the homosexual agenda. If you even MAKE FUN OF gay people, that means you’re secretly gay.

Don’t ask me why, but liberals will do anything to make their favorite bizarre fetish appear mainstream.

logis on October 30, 2007 at 12:46 PM

And you guys actually believe this “study”? Sounds like Kinsey’s “10% of all men” crap. If they can convince us that homosexuality is that common, then supposedly we’d have to accept it as normal.

jgapinoy on October 30, 2007 at 5:34 PM