Video: Trinity vs. Millsaps

posted at 11:41 am on October 28, 2007 by Allahpundit

Deepest thanks for this to our pal Nigel at This Goes to 11, who spent the better part of the week helping out wildfire refugees at Qualcomm Stadium. Between that and this, I’d say the man has his priorities straight.

Your obvious exit question: Even more awesome than the end of Cal vs. Stanford?

Comments

Unbelievable!

I’d like to see the ‘Skins pull one like this on the Patriots today. Fat chance!!

OBX Pete on October 28, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Crazy.

Spirit of 1776 on October 28, 2007 at 11:52 AM

The Jets tried this same exact play against the Colts last year. Didn’t work.

Its Tommy on October 28, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Worked just like they drew it up.

What was that, 14 laterals?

It would be better than Cal-Stanford if they had a trombone player to blow up at the end.

JammieWearingFool on October 28, 2007 at 11:57 AM

BTW, Millsaps really needs to work on that tackling thing.

JammieWearingFool on October 28, 2007 at 11:58 AM

No, it was not awesome. I know the lateral is a valid play but I get the feeling that for them it was used as a cheap excuse. “Hey. I can’t run or pass it forward but let me lateral it away so I don’t tackled and the play ends and we lose.” There should be a limit on number of lateral throws back up the field. Were they playing football or basketball? I haven’t seen so many passes between players since the last time I worked a Blazers game. All they needed was a 25 second shot clock.

Ceroth on October 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Milsaps College, as once referenced by William Faulkner in “Go Down Moses” the little Harvard of Mississippi, where I once was enrolled as freshman in the fall 1977!

Nyog_of_the_Bog on October 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM

…so I don’t get tackled…

Ceroth on October 28, 2007 at 12:03 PM

“He’s got a convoy!”

Of course it’s awesome–they won playing by the rules, showing the kind of “never say die” attitude that every coach wants his players to have. There’s no limit on how many laterals can be used on a play.

ReubenJCogburn on October 28, 2007 at 12:07 PM

I counted one forward pass and 13 laterals.

I had to watch both videos three times….the Cal vs Standford finish is still better.

dont taze me bro on October 28, 2007 at 12:17 PM

No freakin way, this kicks Cal/Standford’s butt up and down the coast.

CTDeLude on October 28, 2007 at 12:21 PM

This is awesome. But the ball bounced on the ground before the guy caught it. Is that a legal play?

SoulGlo on October 28, 2007 at 12:49 PM

I don’t know, it was awesome, but clearly much more amateurish than the Cal/Stanford game. The Millsaps players weren’t really trying that hard the whole time, and then by the end they were just standing there.

tneloms on October 28, 2007 at 12:51 PM

You all realize of course this is NCAAAAAAAAAAAA; there are High School teams in this country which probably would have little trouble with either of these teams.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on October 28, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Cheap excuse for what, Ceroth? Were the Trinity players just supposed to allow themselves to be tackled with the ball? Blame the Millsaps players for giving up on the play.

packsoldier on October 28, 2007 at 1:06 PM

SoulGlo on October 28, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Yes. If a lateral or pitch back hits the ground it’s still live and is treated like a fumble.
To the commenter who thought there should be a limit to this, there is – it’s called competent defense. This kind of endgame play usually gets destroyed.

JimRich on October 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM

tneloms on October 28, 2007 at 12:51 PM

More amateurish then having a band out on the field :)

F15Mech on October 28, 2007 at 1:20 PM

Awesome!

I went to a Football game and a Rugby match broke out.

186k on October 28, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Cal/Stanford is still better because here it looked like they were relying too much on Millsaps’ slow reactions.

Plus Cal/Stanford had the band.

Alex K on October 28, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Trinity, from San Antonio, has fallen on hard times the last 2 seasons, but before that they were consistently ranked very high nationally in their division.

They were national champs, I believe, a few years ago, and finished #2 (yes, there is a playoff) the year after that.

The year they finished #2, their All American QB was suspended for the game by the coach for boozing it up on the Riverwalk.

Never.Give.Up.

Labamigo on October 28, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Someone got a link to a Cal v. Stanford video?

meep on October 28, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Funny, not not better because 1)it’s not original and 2)I was listening to that Cal game and rooting for them and I don’t know these teams.

MamaAJ on October 28, 2007 at 2:42 PM

A link is here.

Or Google “stanford cal the play”.

The Wikipedia article on The Play also has numerous video links (at the bottom).

pavruch on October 28, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Best basketball play I have ever seen!

Now if only they could have also had a basketball score, like say 73-68.

Ken McCracken on October 28, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Imagine that locker room. Wow!

oakpack on October 28, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Your obvious exit question: Even more awesome than the end of Cal vs. Stanford?

No. Not that I have a bias.

calbear on October 28, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Isn’t that the point, don’t get tackled so you don’t lose?
Duh!
That was entertainment, but I wish the announcers had shown some excitement about it.

Tennessee Dave on October 28, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Stanford-Cal was bigger. In defense of Trinity/Millsaps, though, it probably took more football skill to complete 15 laterals for a touchdown than it did to dodge the marching band into the endzone.

These D3 athletes are no joke. It’s probably comparable to Junior College competition, and you’ll find JuCo transfers starting on most Division I programs.

Anyway, If you think that wasn’t amazing, try chasing a football from sideline to sideline full-tilt for 60 seconds.

RightOFLeft on October 28, 2007 at 5:13 PM

This play was more amazing, but Cal/Stanford will always be better.

BadgerHawk on October 28, 2007 at 7:22 PM

Ditto. The band changes the dynamic.

Jaibones on October 28, 2007 at 7:39 PM

So Trinity wins the game because on the last play, instead of fighting like men, they fought like girls…

radjah shelduck on October 28, 2007 at 8:10 PM

Ditto. The band changes the dynamic.

Jaibones on October 28, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Yup yup. It’s a one of a kind amazing.

BadgerHawk on October 28, 2007 at 8:17 PM

That was AWESOME! in the ultimate team game the entire team took part in the last play to win. Football at its greatest!

ThackerAgency on October 28, 2007 at 8:17 PM

Radjah, the defense has the responsibility to tackle the offense. I guess they were just supposed to fall down and let the other team win then.

ThackerAgency on October 28, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Don’t tell me those guys (on both sides) weren’t trying up until the end. Look at the block that sprung the final runner (the block was on the 25 yard line). The defender lost his helmet and ended up lying still, face down for a few seconds.

soonerrph on October 28, 2007 at 8:32 PM

We need that coach in Nebraska! I figure there may well be slot opening up….

serenity on October 28, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Football at its greatest!

That wasn’t football. A running back breaking 4 or 5 tackles and getting a 45 yard breakaway, that’s football. A quarterback getting a 3rd and 15 pass off as he’s going down in a heavy blitz and hitting a receiver for a 60 yard touchdown, that’s football. Playing keepaway until the other team passes out from boredom is stupid. You like that kind of juvenile crap, go watch the Harlem Globetrotters. That ball should have been blown dead.

austinnelly on October 28, 2007 at 9:00 PM

That ball should have been blown dead.

austinnelly on October 28, 2007 at 9:00 PM

No the other team should have started hitting other players, as the rules allow, and tried tackling somebody. If the other team is lulled into boredom, then they deserve to be punked.

Mallard T. Drake on October 28, 2007 at 9:29 PM

Football at its most rugby.

Jaibones on October 28, 2007 at 10:01 PM

No, it was not awesome. …
Ceroth on October 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Watch out, dude. Might get banned for awesomeness denial.

Ali-Bubba on October 28, 2007 at 11:38 PM

That was WAY AWESOME! Blown dead? Not ’til the play is over, and it wasn’t over until they scored. If you don’t want to lose on the last play, make sure you are up more than one score, or make a play. Hats off to the victors! That was entertaining :-)

Ordinary1 on October 28, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Love it, love it love it!!!! This is so awesome as to be off the scale on the awesomemeter.

Ellen on October 29, 2007 at 8:36 AM

Congratulations, AP! Fox just showed this highlight. No doubt they saw it here first. Michelle said the producers check your work on HotAir for ideas!

Ordinary1 on October 29, 2007 at 11:00 AM