Hot Air/YAF video: Jason Mattera has a conversation with the man who smeared YAF Updated

posted at 9:18 am on October 26, 2007 by Bryan

This is the video I was teasing well into the wee hours overnight. After David Horowitz’s speech at George Washington University last night, Young America’s Foundation’s Jason Mattera caught up with Iraq Veterans Against the War’s Adam Kokesh. Kokesh is the lefty who led the campus-wide smear of YAF a couple of weeks ago.

Jason quizzes Kokesh about Islamo-Fascism, satire and the presidential election. You may not be surprised to learn who the anti-war leader is supporting in 2008.

This is a joint Hot Air/Young America’s Foundation production.

Robert Stacy McCain of the Washington Times liveblogged Horowitz’s speech; you can check that out here.

Update: Adam Kokesh continues his smear-artist ways. I wonder, just what is GWU still “investigating” about Kokesh’s YAF smear? He confessed to that one and he’s authored another one, this time smearing Horowitz (whom he refused to actually listen to last night). Satire must be the all-purpose defense for bad behavior.

Update: Incorrect U’s Andrew Marcus has a video report from last night’s festivities. We have more video on the way from Jason Mattera, which I’ll edit and post. Stay tuned.

Comments

It never ends.

SuperManGreenLantern on October 26, 2007 at 9:23 AM

LOL the mental gymnastics to be a leftie nutcase

I wouldnt mind him asking Mr Kokesh if he thinks anti americanism is hate speach

William Amos on October 26, 2007 at 9:24 AM

Wow, I’ve already had 200% of my daily douche intake. Thanks a lot Bryan, what am I supposed to do when other videos pop up later of hateful Senate Democrats or whacked out liberal reporters!?

RightWinged on October 26, 2007 at 9:27 AM

This is a great job by Jason. Hats off here. Personally, I think the conversation stands on it’s own, so no need for editorial comments intermixed in the video, but I understand why they are there. Again, though, I was critical of him in the last video posted here, but this is very well done. Good job.

Spirit of 1776 on October 26, 2007 at 9:27 AM

Well worth the banter to get to the punch line. Well done!

Limerick on October 26, 2007 at 9:27 AM

So what is the yearly tuition at George Washington and who is paying the tuition of our bandanaed little freind?

Possibly some rich white people like his PARENTS!?

peacenprosperity on October 26, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Mr. Kokesh apparently believes in free speech for academics, everyone else not so much.

Speakup on October 26, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Does headscarf guy REALLY believe that “rich white people” are blowing up “brown Muslims” every day in Indonesia???
Wow!

Babs on October 26, 2007 at 9:30 AM

OMG! IT’S A MONSTER. NO, IT’S WORSE. IT’S A PARLIAMENTARY BODY! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Even Kokesh couldn’t take much more of that.

gabriel sutherland on October 26, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Possibly some rich white people like his PARENTS!?

peacenprosperity on October 26, 2007 at 9:30 AM

In fairness he was in the military and eligible for the GI Bill

William Amos on October 26, 2007 at 9:33 AM

“borderd countries” are the problem” with their Parliamentary Govts?
What a couple of tools.

bbz123 on October 26, 2007 at 9:33 AM

Even Kokesh couldn’t take much more of that.

Heh. I got the same impression – bridge too far.

Spirit of 1776 on October 26, 2007 at 9:33 AM

What’s not to love about folks that think when Hizb’allah is indiscriminately launching rockets into Israel, and hitting Arab villages, it’s still white people killing brown people?

I don’t even think I could create these people in fiction. But here they are, real human beings, that think all death in the world is white people killing brown people.

gabriel sutherland on October 26, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Every rational person who watched that video – even if it did not have the text intermixed – would have to conclude that these guys are…shall we say…misguided. Brown people being killed by rich white people? And he’s talking about the Philippines and Indonesia and Lebanon, specifically there! That is about the stupidest thing.

What is wrong with the Left?

Well done YAF and HotAir. Thank you.

nailinmyeye on October 26, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Ouch. My brain has been twisted into the shape of a pretzel.

Kokesh, “These musims are fascist extremists, but not islamo-fascists.”

Huh?

fogw on October 26, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Wow!

Babs on October 26, 2007 at 9:30 AM

I guess he does, he also, of course, blames evil capitalism. Good grief!

Gatordoug on October 26, 2007 at 9:45 AM

these people need to keep their world alive to stay in the news, and will say anything to do so.
its so sad.

trailortrash on October 26, 2007 at 9:46 AM

Brainwashed kids, I think Adam Kokesh said or implied at least three times that ONLY ACADEMIA could use the term Islamo-Fascism. Grow up Adam.

Maxx on October 26, 2007 at 9:46 AM

Grow up Adam.

Maxx on October 26, 2007 at 9:46 AM

Oh no! Good little neo-Marxists like him do not wish to grow up. They wish for government to care for them, provide their needs, tell them what to think etc.

Gatordoug on October 26, 2007 at 9:49 AM

I see…so it’s “white people killing brown people” in the Philippines, Indonesia, etc.

My head hurts.

flipflop on October 26, 2007 at 9:50 AM

if he had a quick wit couldn’t he have just asked those questions instead of having to edit them in later when Kokesh couldn’t respond?

crr6 on October 26, 2007 at 9:52 AM

Good job by jason. He was polite and totally took Kokesh apart at the same time. He got Kokesh to admit that Islamofascism is a valid term that he just doesn’t like. And I thought the university was the perfect place to discuss controversial, academic stuff (Ahmadenijad). I guess not.

BadgerHawk on October 26, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Looks like Kokesh could barely keep a straight face at the end when his Bolshevik buddy started implicating capitalism as the true evil.

The Ron Paul answer was just icing on the cake. What a charlatan.

Gotta look into the potential of joining YAF…

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2007 at 10:11 AM

What I find so interesting about this video is that we almost never hear leftists trying to calmly rationalize their point of view. What we typically hear is them screaming, cursing, shouting down otherwise rational speakers, and ultimately ending the debate with ad hominem attacks (usually by calling their opponents “racists”). After watching this video, it’s clear why. Watching those two try to make their way through a cogent argument was actually sad. When they are asked to articulate their position on radical Islam — which leftists are almost never asked to do — it becomes so painfully obvious that they have no position at all.

They literally could not explain what they believe — and apparently are there fighting for — because they believe nothing. Their job, plan and simple, is to oppose: oppose free speech, oppose capitalism, oppose Christianity, oppose the US, oppose genuine discourse, oppose intellectualism. They have no idea WHY they oppose it; they just know that their leftist professors have told them TO oppose it. It is truly a sad and pathetic dogma to which they’ve attached themselves. They’re screaming I’M FOR NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL.

And all the while, because they have been rendered incapable of intelligent inquiry, they attach themselves tighter and tighter to an ideology whose fundamental beliefs are easily articulated: Islamofascism. As the ax comes down upon their tender necks, these pitiful children will be screaming, “But we defended you!” No darlings, you never defended them at all. You protected them. You allowed them to flourish. But you never defended them because you can’t defend what you don’t understand.

Rational Thought on October 26, 2007 at 10:14 AM

Hmmm… Ssssoooooo… David Horowitz is not an academic?

Interesting… I guess only TEACHERS can frame the debate? someone needs to check into these guys class schedules.

Romeo13 on October 26, 2007 at 10:16 AM

ONLY ACADEMIA could use the term Islamo-Fascism.

Bawawawawawawawa! Apparently Kokesh is not in Academia! What is the place called then? Oh, he himself thinks he’s not being educated?
That says a lot.

Thanks for the morning gut wrenching laugh, Bryan!

Mcguyver on October 26, 2007 at 10:17 AM

I’d watch, but my tolerance for douchebaggery is feeling pretty low today.

Farmer_Joe on October 26, 2007 at 10:22 AM

THE SO-CALLED PARLIAMENTARY SYSTEM IS KILLING BROWN PEOPLE!!1!

DaveS on October 26, 2007 at 10:28 AM

I have to say I laughed out loud at work on that final question. What an idiot.

jp on October 26, 2007 at 10:34 AM

“that explains a lot, buddy!”

Hahaha!

Laura on October 26, 2007 at 10:34 AM

I had to stop at “when they ‘hijack the uslim religion..”

My mind can only take so much crap…the tolerance levels for “academic mush” is just too low to go further.

Exit Question: How come Kokesh isn’t one of those “idiots” (sorry…I actually think our military’s much smarter than Kokesh) we could’ve lost to an IED? I’m just sayin’…

Miss_Anthrope on October 26, 2007 at 10:37 AM

uslim = Muslim

Miss_Anthrope on October 26, 2007 at 10:38 AM

starting out with a pressuposition of hating conservatives, leads people like this to absurd conclusions and contridictions.

jp on October 26, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Rational Thought on October 26, 2007 at 10:14 AM

VERY well said.

fogw on October 26, 2007 at 10:40 AM

And another thing…over on the other thread, why does Kokesh’s photo look like he thinks he’s a model or something???

“I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.”

Miss_Anthrope on October 26, 2007 at 10:41 AM

Miss_Anthrope: Geez. Get it together friend. We may disagree with Kokesh’s views, but nobody should wish or speculate that death become him.

You should repudiate your own post. Your comment was despicable.

gabriel sutherland on October 26, 2007 at 10:48 AM

I’m still trying to get my head untwisted… whew!

Rational Thought, I agree whole heartedly with you, I got the feeling that these guys simply haven’t gotten past rebelling against their (white and probably rich) parents yet. That plus perhaps they think they’ll get laid with that act. That rhetoric is exactly the same as it was 20 some yrs ago when I was in high-school! Hilarious! I would’ve been surprised if kokesh had said anyone besides Ron Paul.

4shoes on October 26, 2007 at 10:51 AM

I’m sure that whatever is going on in Indonesia has its ROOT CAUSES firmly tied to American Cowboy Imperialism.

BohicaTwentyTwo on October 26, 2007 at 10:55 AM

gabriel sutherland on October 26, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Never said he should die…just throwing out the comment that much better men than he lost their lives. I stand by what I mean.

Miss_Anthrope on October 26, 2007 at 11:04 AM

During that whole interview I could here the voice of Homer Simpson saying “wait for it… wait for it…” and them BLAM! payday!Its those damn roaming gangs of parliamentary bodies filled with white people killing brown people all over the world, and fueling this holocaust is capitalism! Oh gawd it truly is both funny and scary. I know if I were the parents of those 2, I would retain a lawyer to sue for their tuition back….

And as a poster said earlier, usually the left are pretty good at shouting slogans and generally behaving like the red guard that they are. But when they calmly explain their position on the issues, it makes it clear no critical thinking was used…

jojostan on October 26, 2007 at 11:06 AM

gabriel sutherland on October 26, 2007 at 10:48 AM

But I will concur the wording should’ve been better…I just was trying to connect to that “idiot” comment about our military.

Miss_Anthrope on October 26, 2007 at 11:14 AM

“Who are you supporting?… that explains allot”

lol, great come back.

KCtheKat on October 26, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Pinned ‘em to a wall like butterflies. Watching this video, I’m starting to see why the moonbat wing of the left relies on rudeness and intimidation and echo chambers. They just don’t have their beliefs sorted out enough to stand up to a thoughtful challenge.

Splunge on October 26, 2007 at 11:48 AM

At the update link, Kokesh’s poster goes on a meandering journey through an imaginary 20th century – what the hell is he talking about “rounding up of Arab-Americans”? Has anyone seen that?

nailinmyeye on October 26, 2007 at 11:51 AM

The whole “brown people” comment smells of racism to me.

terryannonline on October 26, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Didn’t that guy used to be Britney Spears? Listening to some of his logic, it would seem his intellect is about on that level, and the haircut sure matches.

thirteen28 on October 26, 2007 at 12:11 PM

You should repudiate your own post. Your comment was despicable.

gabriel sutherland on October 26, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Someone who calls herself Miss_Anthrope is under zero obligation to apologize for speculating that we’d be better off without Kokesh in the gene pool. I do think she was off in saying Kokesh isn’t attractive. Some attractive people are stupid and evil. Some ugly people are smart and kind.

thuja on October 26, 2007 at 12:33 PM

thuja on October 26, 2007 at 12:33 PM

I was speculating Kokesh was both…ugly (to me) because I consider him stupid and evil.

Miss_Anthrope on October 26, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Miss_Anthrope on October 26, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Are you kidding me? Poor choice of words MA. He may be a douche but he did serve in Iraq. NO ONE deserves to be blown up by an IED.

RobG on October 26, 2007 at 12:45 PM

RobG on October 26, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Wow. Way to cherrypick, after that topic’s been beat to death. Literally. Reread the rest of the thread, please.

Miss_Anthrope on October 26, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Oh my, a true red blue diaper doper baby.

Wade on October 26, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Excellent video Bryan! Most enlightening.

Zorro on October 26, 2007 at 12:53 PM

LOL the mental gymnastics to be a leftie nutcase

William Amos on October 26, 2007 at 9:24 AM

I gives me a headache just trying to follow the convoluted logic.

Probably because I’m a white person with “lots of money” LOL.

infidel4life on October 26, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Gotta look into the potential of joining YAF…

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Actually, you can make a contribution to YAF online. Freedom Contributors give $25. Giving $100 makes you a member of their Century Club. For $1,000, you’re a member of the President’s Club.

Ali-Bubba on October 26, 2007 at 12:56 PM

It makes you wonder if those two guys even recognize how stupid they sounded…

Bob's Kid on October 26, 2007 at 1:09 PM

thuja on October 26, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Without beating up Miss Anthrope any further, let me point out something else: Kokesh is what, 25? Can we get a show of hands of people who were irresponsible and ill-informed when they were 25? (Yes, my hand is raised.)

Kokesh is actually quite intelligent, he is simply immature and has been miseducated. But notice his eye-roll reaction when Bandana Man blames the world’s problems on capitalism.

“There is a flickering spark in all of us …which if struck at just the right age, can light up the rest of our lives.”

Ronald Reagan (who was a Democrat until 1960

Ali-Bubba on October 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Great video. Especially the poow wittle baby fwom CAIR having a hissy fit.

infidel4life on October 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Key point which many are missing… he didn’t even listen to the speech!

He is soooo into Intelectual debate, that he didn’t even bother to hear the other side!

Islamo Facism is actualy a very good name for this “movement”… you do know that IRAN renamed itself to Iran… during WWII? Literly means land of the Aryan? That Mein Kampf is STILL a best seller in the Middle East?

Romeo13 on October 26, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Dude: It’s the system.

Jason: So it’s The Man?

hehe

- The Cat

MirCat on October 26, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Ouch..that kind of stupid HURTS!

tickleddragon on October 26, 2007 at 2:03 PM

tickleddragon on October 26, 2007 at 2:03 PM

you got that right .

Mojack420 on October 26, 2007 at 2:12 PM

The far left hate the term Islamofascists because they KNOW it is true but that means they have to oppose it and they do not want to because they are for whatever is opposing the USA. Period.

RobCon on October 26, 2007 at 2:14 PM

The idiot on the left proves that it is Capitolism that is the enemy and the left will defend any force (even Islamofascism) that opposes it. The idiot on the right is supporting Ron Paul who gets the support of Neo-Nazis (white fascists). Therefore the left is as fascist friendly as they ever were.

RobCon on October 26, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Ali-Bubba on October 26, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Ali-Bubba is mostly right. He’s probably bought into some pc or liberal premise and twists himself into a knot to make it work. Still makes him a tool, though.

meandchi on October 26, 2007 at 2:18 PM

How pathetic to see these lefty commies run out of talking points in the face of logical debate.

Black Adam on October 26, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Ugh. Proof my beloved Corps can’t reform everybody. Man, I ran heavy equipment and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger pair of tools! Head scarf guy sounds like a cross between my sociology prof on one of his off days (otherwise, he was pretty rational for an avowed Marxist) and the nut who used to rave on the street corner during the Sunday afternoon protest in my wife’s hometown. Kokesh… normally I’d say that doing a stint would straighten him out, but that obviously didn’t work. Bet money he was one of those types who thought he was smarter than everyone else and is glomming on to the college issue du jour to prove it. Still, at least he tried. Headscarf could only trot out the old “blame whitey” argument and make communistic noises.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the picture of the true sophomore!

Militant Bibliophile on October 26, 2007 at 3:17 PM

William Amos on October 26, 2007 at 9:33 AM

So you know the guy with the bandana? Your kid maybe? Or were you just knee jerking to defend him?

peacenprosperity on October 26, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Didn’t all these lib word games start with the
“It all depends on what the meaning of the word is. . .is.

There’s a whole of this is. . . .is crap going on.

Texyank on October 26, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Well done Jason Mattera. All you did was ask the questions and Adam Kokesh did all the work in making himself look like an ignoramus.

Yakko77 on October 26, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Fantastic job Mr. Mattera.

Once again we’ve proven that all you have to do to disprove a liberal assertion is talk through the logic. This is why they resort to name calling and outright lying.

unamused on October 26, 2007 at 4:18 PM

You have my complete agreement. We were all stupid once, and then figured something out. It’s why I hate these “flip-flop” or “waffle” accusations that get thrown at politicians. People aren’t only allowed to change their minds. There is something wrong if they don’t.

We hope that people who change their mind arrive at better answers, though we know some only grow more crackpot. The best way for people to get at better answers is have to defend their ideas in an open conversation with minimal name-calling.

thuja on October 26, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Kokesh’s inherent argument is racist in itself.

Kini on October 26, 2007 at 5:17 PM

Ouch, is 25 the new 16 or something? I don’t think I’m either irresponsible or ill-informed. Ask me again when I’m 40, though.
-proud YAF member

tikvah on October 26, 2007 at 5:51 PM

nailinmyeye on October 26, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Um, yeah! Did you not hear the story about the 2 rambunctious college kids who got hauled into jail in South Carolina just for going to the beach for a day of fun with their firecrackers? Or the one playing GI Joe in the park in Dearborn? The police in this country are just out of control!

tikvah on October 26, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Me thinks that Marxist culling season has arrived. Does anyone doubt that Kokesh and company were responsible for the bombing incident at the Mexican consulate in NY recently…? What part of that attack DOESN’T fit his M.O. perfectly…? It was a small enough device to inflict minor, as opposed to major damage…, the attacker threw the explosive from a bicycle…, it will be blamed on the Right and reported by the Left…

I wish it were possible to contact a bookie and place a bet on that… I wouldn’t put that type of attack past those punks. It’s only a matter of time before they convince themselves that such ‘satirical’ attacks are necessary to draw attention to their rich, white parents the Vast Right Winged Conspiracy. I realize I’m a bit over the top here, but who’d be surprised if these punks took their acts of terrorism to their logical conclusion…? If it’s seen, by them, as GOOD to frame YAF for racism, hate speech, etc…, is it such a stretch to suspect them in ALL cases of ‘White on Brown criminal incidents…?

They probably bombed the Mexican consulate in another attempt to frame Rightie, using the same method they used to bomb the British consulate mentioned in that NYTimes article. IF they did that one, that is… Just speculating the obvious.Hand grenades converted to pipe bombs… Former military guy… Light damage, no casualties… Sounds like a Kokesh gig to ME… Any takers…? ;)

Rugged Individual on October 26, 2007 at 7:38 PM

“how to wring a wet rag into a dry fool in 2 mins or less”

allrsn on October 26, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Islamo-fascism doesn’t mention race so why do these guys think it’s racist?

We’ve taught our children conflict buy we haven’t taught them how to think.

Mojave Mark on October 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Possibly some rich white people like his PARENTS!?

peacenprosperity on October 26, 2007 at 9:30 AM
In fairness he was in the military and eligible for the GI Bill

William Amos on October 26, 2007 at 9:33 AM

Which means we (taxpayers) are paying for it. That makes me feel so much better.

BTW, I’m all for the GI bill. It’s the least a country can do for its vets. But I think the original point was concerning his friend with the bandanna – is he also a former vet? I sure hope not, lest he give the service a bad name.

“how to wring a wet rag into a dry fool in 2 mins or less”

allrsn on October 26, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Bwahahahaha! Almost spit on my computer!

We’ve taught our children conflict buy we haven’t taught them how to think.

Mojave Mark on October 27, 2007 at 11:50 AM

And I see it in the classroom all of the time. And when I try to teach them how to think, I’m the “bad guy”; so mean for not simply giving them a good grade “just because”.

“I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.”
Thomas Jefferson

IrishEyes on October 27, 2007 at 12:53 PM

“That explains a lot” Worth sitting through to hear that line. roflmbo

oakpack on October 28, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Islamo-fascism doesn’t mention race so why do these guys think it’s racist?

There are Muslims of every race. That was the basis of Malcom X’s awakening, which moved him past his “white-devil” phase. This was also the obvious flaw behind the “zionism = racism,” formulation of UN fame. Go to Israel. To borrow from the old Sunday school song,”Red and yellow, black and white. . .” that’s what you’ll see.

smellthecoffee on October 29, 2007 at 10:27 AM