Video: Michelle on “Wildfire Derangement Syndrome”

posted at 11:23 am on October 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

They held her for two segments this morning, the first devoted to the racial demagoguery being used to spin Hillary’s dirty dishwasher donations, the second to the media’s demagoguery in blaming the wildfires on its two pet causes, the Iraq war and global warming. (With little success.) Somehow I missed this magical moment between Governor Ahnuld and ABC’s Claire Shipman, whose quest for a scapegoat won’t let her take no for an answer. Watch it now if you missed it too. It’s golden.

As for MM’s momentary disorientation at the beginning (which she herself jokes about near the end), it’s a little known fact that there are no “morning persons” among the Hot Air team. She recovered quickly and expertly, of course, but I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that her answer to Steve’s surprise question about McCain’s ad was a shot in the dark. Did she really see the ad or was she just winging it? Stay tuned to the comments as the mystery is revealed.

Exit question: Doocy doesn’t really read Hot Air and think it’s “fantastic,” does he? I think he was winging that, too.

Update: Mystery solved below!

Comments

Bonus points for Michelle winging in “Kiddy kash scheme”

William Amos on October 25, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Allah,

You have more Fox News fans than you know! I swear on my iPhone costume that the senior producer got into my ear after my segment and raved about Hot Air. Said it was one of their “top five” sites they visit for story ideas.

SWEAR!

As for my momentary inattention, two producers were talking in my ear right before I went on air, asking me to be ready to comment on the story about Fox News being tops on XM and something else on CNN and Israel.

And yes, I was totally talking out of my…hat..on the ad.

Michelle on October 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM

BTW doocy did the “Post office takes down US soldier pics” so maybe he does

William Amos on October 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM

I thought Arnold handled (literally) that reporter very well.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM

I swear on my iPhone costume…
Michelle on October 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Ouch.

amerpundit on October 25, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Most of the time we are talking outof our hats too…

EricPWJohnson on October 25, 2007 at 11:32 AM

I was joking to my brother just today that I had passed a couple of stories on to Michelle and Hot air and was shcoked to find them on Fox news videos (the Postal story and the Obama flag story)

But then I pester Allah was much as he mentions the I phone

William Amos on October 25, 2007 at 11:33 AM

SWEAR!

Michelle on October 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Well, come on then Ducey. How about a shout out. Producers? Anyone?

AP, email them a login.

sunny on October 25, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Michelle sure is talented with names…… Wildfire Derangement Syndrome, media mosquitoes….. I love it!

MNDavenotPC on October 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I’m happy that Michelle’s blogs are getting the press that they so rightly deserve. I was in a DELL store the other day and checked out one of their laptops that was connected to the web. I was able to get to Drudge & (puke) the Kos but Hotair was blocked, go figure.

CloneTrooper on October 25, 2007 at 11:44 AM

The milk in my fridge expired. I blame Bush and our presence in Iraq.

Yakko77 on October 25, 2007 at 11:47 AM

The milk in my fridge expired. I blame Bush and our presence in Iraq.

Yakko77 on October 25, 2007 at 11:47 AM

BUSH LIARED!11! LACTOSE EXPIRED!1!!ONE

ReubenJCogburn on October 25, 2007 at 11:54 AM

And yes, I was totally talking out of my…hat..on the ad.

Michelle on October 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Not really. As long as you stick to addressing the core issues that you/we already know. After a while these kinds of things become predictable.

Lawrence on October 25, 2007 at 11:57 AM

60 minutes got this meme moving last Sunday with their story on fires and the obligatory “blame global warming” soundbyte at the end.

BillLalor on October 25, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Media skeeters…………LOL, I luv it, so right on MM. I think that wording should be mainstream from now on, a very good discription on the MSM ticks and bugs.

bones47 on October 25, 2007 at 12:08 PM

…it’s a little known fact that there are no “morning persons” among the Hot Air team…

AP

Too funny. I have never seen her at a loss for the right word in any way; quite refreshing, actually. Swear – Big Smile!

Allah’s way with the language and the culture must surely have admirers in the media. This is their thing.

Jaibones on October 25, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Ahnuld: “…you may hate it, but…”

Heh.

Jaibones on October 25, 2007 at 12:13 PM

That link to the governator was priceless. Nice to see the blogs getting some free plugs too.

BadgerHawk on October 25, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Good job Michelle. That Lt. Gov was being dishonest; political hackery.

Spirit of 1776 on October 25, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Folks, let’s get it right – Bush stole election; Bush was behing 9/11; Bush lied/people died in Iraq; Bush stole second election with ongoing lies; Bush warmed globe; Bush created hurricanes Katrina and Rita to kill black people (who he hates); Bush continues to lie/people continue to die; Bush eavesdrops on Americans and the world; Bush profits from oil and continues to warm globe; Bush sets wildfires to destroy California and further warm globe…

Stay tuned, more to come from Bushco. Sneak preview – Bush takes over Congress and steals third election; Bush declares himself Emperor (and begins wearing 6 star General’s uniform daily); Bush sets wildfires in Russia with nukes, and burns entire country down; Bush invades Europe/California/New York…

BUSH.

Rick on October 25, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Why don’t more people respond to stupid media comments the same way Arnold did more often? If they did I would watch more television news just for the laughs.

davenp35 on October 25, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Thanks for the clip. Fox and Friends is on a little to early for me. Michelle I am glad you have been appearing on the morning show. You are reaching a new audience, and gaining new fans. I was talking to my mother last week, and she asked me “If I knew a cute little girl named Michelle that was tough as nails.” I of course new who she was talking about and replied “Yes I do, she is my hero”.

chief on October 25, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Fox needs to get Michelle on more.

My respect for the Governator has gone up 10 fold, that moment with Shipman was most excellent!

186k on October 25, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I guess that would be knew and not new. Is that what the preview button is for.

chief on October 25, 2007 at 12:31 PM

(Derangement seems to be the “in” thing…)

tree hugging sister on October 25, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Michelle has an iPhone? Or just a costume?

Patrap on October 25, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Fires never occurred until we had global warming. Pretty sure.

Kevin M on October 25, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Oh man the begining of that first segment was too funny. “I… uhh… uhhh. u… you mean the Romney ad?”

Man I thought I was the only one like that prior to my morning coffee. She pulled it together though and was brilliant and funny as usual once it was all finished.

Zetterson on October 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM

the senior producer got into my ear after my segment and raved about Hot Air.
Said it was one of their “top five” sites they visit for story ideas.
Michelle on October 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM

1.Michelle Malkin
2.Hot Air

I wonder what are the other 3 top sites that they visit for story ideas.

WildBillK on October 25, 2007 at 1:22 PM

The milk in my fridge expired. I blame Bush and our presence in Iraq.

Yikes, I’d better check the milk in my fridge.

Bigfoot on October 25, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Yikes, I’d better check the milk in my fridge.

Bigfoot on October 25, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Check it all – don’t leave any stone unturned. This administration is capable of unheard of evil.

Rick on October 25, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Actually the best reason to watch Fox News is to see Michelle’s smile!

Larraby on October 25, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Talking out of one’s…hat… was never so entertaining.

infidel4life on October 25, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Thanks AP, MM and BP.

You guys, just a team of three, prove every day, that the only way that one can stay in a left mindset is to hide from reality. The Schwarzenegger clip was truly priceless. A classic example of the modus operandi of the Mainstream Media.

JeffB. on October 25, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Southern CA Fires = Greensburg, KS Tornado, only not so many people live here as there.

Remember a few months ago, when our governor Kathleen Sebelius (what is it with Dem governors named “Kathleen” and disasters?) claimed that we had too many NG assets in the Iraq, before the KSNG director said we had enough to handle several such disasters at once?

I think someone pulled it in the I-35W bridge collapse, too. This has been in the playbook for years, and they’ll trot it out every time there’s any disaster.

The Monster on October 25, 2007 at 2:46 PM

I swear on my iPhone costume….

Now that’s just cold, MM. You really know how to hurt a guy.

BacaDog on October 25, 2007 at 2:50 PM

Clair Shipman’s turn from “Tough agenda driven news reporter”
to “MiGod he’s holding my hand! little girly girl” =’.0002 seconds’.
He’s goooood.

Doug on October 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM

As I pointed out here and on other blogs. The whole argument about the equipment shortage due to Iraq was dealt with during the Greensburg Kansas Tornado a while back.

It was debunked then and still is debunked now. Even if there were a shortage, it would be a real stretch to say their is not enough neighbor state resources to fill the gap or even commercially available rental equipment if necessary.

By their yardstick we could never move a single piece of hardware off it’s parking lot.

CommentGuy on October 25, 2007 at 3:01 PM

I’m surprised Hillary hasn’t told us the REAL reason behind the California fires, which is of course, so many children without health care.

sarc/off

Maxx on October 25, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Michelle as usual was brilliant. And I did enjoy Arnold’s slap down, however….Let me be perfectly clear on this. Arnold was sand bagging. Dont get me wrong here when I say this. The governor’s office acted with stunning speed and clarity, they are to be commended with the highest praise for the swiftness and precision and detail of their actions, not one single misstep on their part.

Now let me address exactly how and where he was sand bagging. CalFire screwed the pooch, no if’s and’s or but’s about it. Heads should roll at in upper managmentr at CalFire, period end of story.

Someone at CalFire is blatantly anti-military, and to such an insane degree that they would happily allow California to burn to the ground before allowing any military asset be employed in fighting any fires here.

During the 2003 Cedars wildfire they did everything they could to prevent military assets from being employed to fight the fire. When confronted they made all kinds of bull$hit excuses for this. Public displeasure and political forces made them promise that this would never happen again.

Yet when this fire broke out they once again attempted to throw unreasonable and unsupportable obstacles in the path of the use of military assets. By the grace of God, Micheal Turko just happened to be on the KUSI 7/39 set at the same time as Congressman Duncan Hunter. He made the esteemed Congressman aware of this and god bless his soul Congressman Hunter made some phone calls practically on the spot and corrected the situation.

I swear to God he must have offered to personally kick the living $hit out of the head of CalFires if those military assets were not employed ASAP. As soon as the sun came up the next morning those assets were flying.

This vicious anti-military mentality in the liberal circles here in California needs to be exterminated with extreme prejudice. California also very seriously needs to be un-gerrymandered or at the very minimum the electoral votes need to be separated according to party.

Oh and Steve Doocy and Fox and company, welcome to HotAir…

doriangrey on October 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Jumping Java, MM still has it and living in Hawaii (yes we are still a member of the United States) applaud her being able to pull anything off the wee hours of the am.

I have to start consulting with my eastern based partners at 0200 am, go to my regular job at 0600 am to 0600 pm and finish the final research at about 1000 pm that is delivered the next day.

If a lib had to keep up such a schedule they would surly file a union grievance against their employer for using slave labor tactics.

The bottom line it is about time to face the libs and given them a taste of their own medicine. Given in a humorous fashion they never seem to know what hit them.

The smart ones who usually do not have any steady employment will have a flashback (chemically or photographically) a couple of days later. Then they try to mount an all out attack, but their best reaction is weak and wasted as they are. All they need to remember is to move on with move on which is also headed in the wrong direction.

MSGTAS on October 25, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Michelle has an iPhone? Or just a costume?

Patrap on October 25, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Umm. Won’t go there. Nope.

Been through too many management training classes involving “role playing.” Not gonna do it. Not gonna go there. Nope. Noway, nohow.

georgej on October 25, 2007 at 3:27 PM

there was a reason i woke up at 4 am and i didn’t even know MM was going to be on fox and friends .

So here is my question. If MM is going to dress up as the I-phone for Halloween who is going to dress up as the un-dead shamnesty bill that just won’t die????

oh and by the way as a native Californian so-cal burning this time of the year is nothing new you can almost set your watch by it .
I mean i remember it burning when they were screaming about the coming ice age and the ashes from the fires were going ro aid in the earth cooling.

Mojack420 on October 25, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Speaking of Wildfire Deragangement Syndrome, this LA Times story is a good read.
Forest thinning helps spare some homes/A federal effort to clear brush and remove trees in the Arrowhead area is controversial but makes a difference.

Buy Danish on October 25, 2007 at 5:36 PM

I don’t know about Michelle being a morning person but according to my news-reader, her first post on michellemalkin.com was posted around 4:30AM.

Joshua P. Allem on October 25, 2007 at 6:10 PM

Laura Ingraham was picked up on O’Reilly to fill in for Michelle’s huge (figuratively speaking) shoes.

Let’s hope they’ve taught Geraldo some manners or we’ll have to kick his…………hat.

He’s such a hathole.

omnipotent on October 25, 2007 at 6:41 PM

“Forget it Michelle, it’s Chinatown.”

aengus on October 25, 2007 at 7:39 PM

I MUST ASK A STUPID QUESTION. HAVE NOT BEEN FOLOWING HER BLOGS AS CLOSE AS I SHOULD HAVE; BUT WHY IS SHE NO LONGER ON O’RIELLY

bootheel on October 25, 2007 at 7:45 PM

I wonder what are the other 3 top sites that they visit for story ideas.

I’d wager LGF and Drudge make top 5.

aengus on October 25, 2007 at 7:48 PM

bootheel on October 25, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Because of the way fox handled the Geraldo affair. They dragged their heels for weeks then got a simple lame apology out of Geraldo

Michelle just simply told them she wouldnt be back.

William Amos on October 25, 2007 at 7:57 PM

fired!

scooter on October 25, 2007 at 11:48 PM

“That goes into the YouTube annals” – money quote

Entelechy on October 26, 2007 at 12:40 AM

Michelle scores again. “Kiddy-kash”, “media mosquito”, “wildfire derangement syndrome”…

The looters are out in force. I don’t mean scumbags robbing evacuated homes, so far the only reported case of that was by two illegal aliens. I mean the looters of the truth. Telling the world that the wildfires are because of global warming, or because of overdeveloping (George Carlin, with all the sympathy of a Ward Churchill moment), or because of some other strawman concept. Amazingly, at the same time, they whinge that things are being handled here in SoCal better than in NOLA because it’s “full of rich white folks, that Bush loves”.

Newsflash, the President hasn’t done anything here yet. FEMA hasn’t done anything here yet. The National Guard, under Governor Schwarznegger’s control, added 1500 men to the CalFire teams. The only “federal” response so far has been the deployment of DoD fire crews (federal employees) from numerous military bases. What’s being done well here is being done well because individual people with true charity in their hearts are stepping up and taking a hand. I’m so sick of the lies.

But I’m also sick of the conventional wisdom. The enviro-fascists say we’ve clearcut too many trees, and they fight to block logging. What they don’t know is that there are more trees in North America today than there have been in 2,000 years. Why? Because we know how to fight wildfires. Fires that approximately every 75 years used to rage across entire states, consuming dead material and re-fertilizing the soil, now are contained and stopped. More trees, but also more fuel for future fires. There’s a balance that we are fighting against, and Carlin has it backwards.

Here‘s an LATimes article from yesterday that would give the Goracle fits.

Freelancer on October 26, 2007 at 12:53 AM

Hey Entelechy, how are things your way? I was able to get to work today (near 4S Commons), but wasn’t allowed to stay long. The safety folks needed to make sure that all the industrial stuff was good to go before opening up fully. Tomorrow I guess.

Freelancer on October 26, 2007 at 12:56 AM

Freelancer on October 26, 2007 at 12:53 AM

1.I’m a DHS/FEMA contractor and I have had working staff on the ground in 4 locations since the 23rd. I wish you wouldn’t say we weren’t doing anything. 2. Katrina and Cali Fires are apples and oranges. For the most part California’s infrastructure is intact. The gulf coast after Katrina made landfall was totally unplugged. We had employees on the ground in Gulfport when Katrina made landfall, (still working on hurricane Dennis, remember that one?, no), that had to ride out the event. I’ve been doing disaster recovery work for 13 years, coast to coast plus the Virgins, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Guam. Seen floods, tornadoes, quakes, slides, typhoons, blizzards and firestorms, but never anything like the gulf coast in 2005. I really don’t care about your thoughts on race, Bush, New Orleans, or forest management, but to compare one event to the other is nonsense, just uninformed babbling. Or as you would like, looting the truth!

scooter on October 26, 2007 at 1:43 AM

The milk in my fridge expired. I blame Bush and our presence in Iraq.

Yakko77 on October 25, 2007 at 11:47 AM

NO! IT’S GLOBULAR WARMENING! WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE! SAVE US, AL GORE! :D

JimC on October 26, 2007 at 2:10 AM

Freelancer on October 26, 2007 at 12:53 AM

That LA Times story blames residents for not clearing brush:

It means taking the kinds of sensible precautions around our homes that some homeowners already embrace but others ignore, to the peril and vastly increased insurance costs of all.

However, according to this 2004 article, often the EPA won’t let them.

Any more than 100 feet of clearance and residents could be fined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. But many insurance companies require those same residents to clear at least 200 feet in order to insure their homes.

And speaking of FEMA, here is an interesting post from their website, also from 2004, about “Firewise Communities”. I’d be interested to know if any of these communities were threatened this time around, and what the results were.

Buy Danish on October 26, 2007 at 9:04 AM