Video: Ahnuld tells reporter to quit looking for a scapegoat

posted at 2:12 pm on October 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

I linked this in the MM thread but it’s getting enough buzz that we should give it a boost. As a great journalist once said, “[I]t is up to us to decide how far we will take our quest for the truth.” Claire Shipman’s quest for “truth” evidently involves pestering Schwarzenegger until he’ll tell her what she wants to hear. What follows is probably his finest moment since the grand psych-out of Lou Ferrigno in “Pumping Iron.” Which, if you haven’t seen it before, you must rent tonight.

Looks like he’s getting a lot of political mileage out of playing the last action hero this past week. You think he’s ever tempted when he’s on the scene of an evacuation to take the megaphone and say, “Come with me if you want to live”?

Comments

“I dare say that Gov. Schwarzenegger is trying to take the high road,” Whalen said. “It is just remarkable how positive he has stayed here despite all the forces of nature that would tempt him to be otherwise.”

I have to give him praise, he is given the presentation of exactly what a leader should, and his rebuttal of those questions is certainly to his credit.

Spirit of 1776 on October 25, 2007 at 2:16 PM

given=giving

Spirit of 1776 on October 25, 2007 at 2:16 PM

In his “Pumping Iron” days, he would have handled that (her) much differently. Either way would have been fine with me.

ej_pez on October 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM

MSM vultures trying to get their pound of flesh.

danking70 on October 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM

If ya dont shat up, I’m going to have to tear off your arm and beat you with it.

RobG on October 25, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Sarah Connah…

Dash on October 25, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Would you believe that on some of the blogs on the left side are actually critical of Arnold because he had the temerity to touch the reports hand?

CommentGuy on October 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Heh heh heh.

Sometimes I just love our gube.

Bob's Kid on October 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Ahnuld has his moments. This is one of them.

Mike Honcho on October 25, 2007 at 2:25 PM

I love it when he actually grabs her hand and says “it is all good news.”

pullingmyhairout on October 25, 2007 at 2:25 PM

“I promise that I will not kill anyone.”

wccawa on October 25, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Holding her hand is his way of saying, “Now children, this is the way it is, no SHUT THE H*LL UP.”

pullingmyhairout on October 25, 2007 at 2:26 PM

I love it when he actually grabs her hand and says “it is all good news.”

No doubt grounds for a sexual harassment/abuse/assault lawsuit.

/sarc off

wccawa on October 25, 2007 at 2:26 PM

“It’s all good news, as much as you may hate it.”

Ha! If only more of our people handled it like he did.

amerpundit on October 25, 2007 at 2:26 PM

That was beautifull. I just love the complete smackdown. This is another example of some media reporters being the bunch of sharks that smell what they think is blood in the water. Good to see the shark get the smack on the nose.

bigskinny on October 25, 2007 at 2:27 PM

I’d love to have him channel General Honore and tell her she’s stuck on stupid.

JammieWearingFool on October 25, 2007 at 2:29 PM

Those Sally Jessy Raphael glasses don’t make you look or sound any smarter than you are.

I know the media template is to present the news, but as ABC news already stated, Charles Gibson, there is no Good News.

News = Bad
Good = Not News

Somebody has to be blamed, Bush, Ahhnold, Global Warming, GOD!

Our lives cannot be good! We must be in constant turmoil.

Kini on October 25, 2007 at 2:33 PM

What has happenned to the good General Honore since Katrina? Was truly impressed with his handling of Katrina and his dealings with the media.

danking70 on October 25, 2007 at 2:33 PM

arnold “08”

trailortrash on October 25, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Yoga Classes? What is that nunsense!

liberrocky on October 25, 2007 at 2:34 PM

ej_pez on October 25, 2007 at 2:20 PM

I half expected him to luuuv her into submission. That woulda been a hoot.

infidel4life on October 25, 2007 at 2:36 PM

CommentGuy on October 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM

She was infringing on his personal space with that all-too-close finger pointing. What did she want him to do, cower? Ahnold is not a girlie man.

PRCalDude on October 25, 2007 at 2:39 PM

Yoga Classes? What is that nunsense!

liberrocky on October 25, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Here in Kali-for-nia, yoga classes and lattes are recommended by therapists for Post-Wildfire-Stress-Syndrome.

infidel4life on October 25, 2007 at 2:41 PM

She will go back to her hotel room and write what she “feels” is true.
As the MSM keeps spiraling down,down,down…..

bbz123 on October 25, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Arnold should do like any good Governing party should do and declare California a “Fire Free Zone”.

The rest should work itself out.

James on October 25, 2007 at 2:44 PM

I think he wanted to arm wrestle her. But she wisely declined.

All that was missing from that interview was arnuld saying:

“Remember when I said I was going to kill you last…?”

jihadwatcher on October 25, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Oh another thing. Ummm… Are the liberals crying foul yet about the AIR QUALITY yet and the lack of appropriate equipment for extracting “harmful” particulates in the affected areas?

Is every case of lung cancer and respiratory problems in the San Diego area going to be attributed to this fire? Will we have to pick up the tab for these “linked” illnesses in the future?

James on October 25, 2007 at 2:46 PM

That was simply great!

What a difference between Louisiana and California – reliance on gov’t vs self-reliance.

Dr. Gecko on October 25, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Haven’t seen any television news since last night.

Have they babbleheads moved off global warming being the cause?

JammieWearingFool on October 25, 2007 at 2:47 PM

ah that was a classic! thanks Arny for totally owning that drive-by media vulture. Governor, don’t you think if there were more planes,if a window opened up, blah,blah,blah. Why cant she be honest and say “Governor, we all know this disaster is being handled professionally and competently, but I SOMEHOW have to find a way to blame something on George Bush. can you help me out?

jojostan on October 25, 2007 at 2:48 PM

What’s the over/under on the number of “Get to the choppa! jokes that the Govuhnator has been hearing through all of this?

gabriel sutherland on October 25, 2007 at 2:54 PM

The MSM, not just a “glass half-full” but “YOU drank it all, I know you did, no one saw you do it BUT IT HAS TO BE YOUR FAULT!!!!!”

bbz123 on October 25, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Good stuff over at the Land of Make Believe. Blackwater started the fires so they could build a mercenary camp.

gabriel sutherland on October 25, 2007 at 2:56 PM

He is like a child, and I am da fatha

brak on October 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM

He completely disarmed her and flustered her by taking her hand like that. She started fluttering like a schoolgirl and could not stay on the offensive. Masterful move by the Governator.

aero on October 25, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Hmmm… I do hope however that Ahnuld realizes that the amount of Carbon being put in the air will totaly screw up his Carbon goals for the State?

How can one man be so right on a lot of things… and so wrong on others…

Romeo13 on October 25, 2007 at 3:06 PM

I hate to say it but Arnold nailed it. I wish Bush could do that.

RobCon on October 25, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Romeo13: It’s California politicking. He caters to the climate change cranks to maintain majority polling support.

gabriel sutherland on October 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM

A classic Alpha Male moment.

Splunge on October 25, 2007 at 3:15 PM

I, along with almost every other Republican in California, wish Arnold didn’t swing radically left after getting in office. But, having said that, I never doubted his “credentials” to be governor.

He had a lot on his impressive resume, and he has the clarity and confidence that is good in a leader.

I had my doubts, but I’m sure now I’d vote for him for Senate if (and when) he runs. I sure hope he runs against Boxer, who is definitely a bigger lunatic than Feinstein.

Nessuno on October 25, 2007 at 3:17 PM

She was just looking for an opening to include a phrase like, “… but Gov. Schwarzenegger acknowledged that there have been shortcomings in the response [blah-blah-blah]…” He didn’t let her have it. Good move.

I liked the hand-holding. Perfect.

SWLiP on October 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I hate to say it but Arnold nailed it. I wish Bush could do that.

RobCon on October 25, 2007 at 3:11 PM

He can. One-on-one, he can do this kind of stuff. Check out “Journeys with George,” a documentary of his campaign by a lefty. She hates everything he stands for, and he had her eating out of his hand in this same sort of way.

Splunge on October 25, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Let us not forget another large fellow that was a disappointment as a Governor, yet would also regularly “have his moments”…. Arnold’s buddy, Jesse Ventura. Ventura’s classic was making the press corps here wear credentials with “Media Jackal” on them!!!!

Boy, were the Press Monkeys PISSED!

paragon27x on October 25, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Shipman doing the tap dance, after Arnuld slammed the door on her …..

“But, I’m just repeating what I heard up in Orange Country”.

Yeah, but which ABC colleague of yours made the same stupid accusations up there in Orange County? Come on now Claire, we know that’s where you heard it.

Top notch reporting by ABC News. Who needs facts when you can repeat “something you heard”. Duh.

fogw on October 25, 2007 at 3:29 PM

That was great. Arnold has been a solid leader during this catastrophe. I would also like to give Duncan Hunter his props as well. The Lt. Governor and Senator Boxer have also shown their leadership qualities, or should I say lack of leadership qualities.

chief on October 25, 2007 at 3:30 PM

His terminator screen popped up with the following choices:

1….DIE LIBERAL MEDIA TRASH GIRL
2….SARAH CONNOR?
3….F%^& YOU, @$$#0£€
4….GRASP WRIST AND REMIND HER WHO SHE’S DEALING WITH

Black Adam on October 25, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Waaaa!!! I want another Katrina and I wanna blame it on Iraq and global warming.

RobCon on October 25, 2007 at 3:46 PM

I would love that.

Esthier on October 25, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I was immediately reminded of his “conversation” with Miles Dyson:

“Now listen to me very carefully.”

awake on October 25, 2007 at 3:53 PM

PRCalDude on October 25, 2007 at 2:39 PM

I am serious about what I said, take a look at the other post with Michelle on Fox and part way through her clip you will see someone actually did a white oval overlay on the hand hold moment and it does have some on the left panties in a bunch.

CommentGuy on October 25, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Had Gray Davis still been governor of California, there is no chance that Claire Shipman would have asked the same negative questions. After all, neither Claire Shipman or anyone at ABC ever asked those types of questions to Governor Blanco or Mayor Negrin after their failures in Katrina. Sadly, Big Arnie’s demolition of Claire Shipman won’t see the light on the MSM after ts brief appearance on Nightline.
I would have loved it if after his verbal demolition of the liberal ABC reporter, Arnold had said “I’ll be back!”.
The most priceless part of the whole interview is the look on Claire Shipman’s face when Big Arnie says: “I know you hate it….”. She has that deer caught in the headlights look about her.
She is so used to having politicians genuflect to her that she forgot that Big Arnie is not in the genuflecting business.

Larraby on October 25, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Don’t child psychologists tell parents that the way to get a child’s attention is to hold her hand and maintain eye contact? It can’t be any different with a ‘journalist’ since many of them are less mature than a child.

dbdiva on October 25, 2007 at 3:54 PM

I’m going to dissent on the hand grab. He should have kept his mitts to himself. It’s condescending, and he wouldn’t have done it to, say, David Gregory.

It’s that movie-star grabbiness asserting itself. Before becoming governor, he probably would have grabbed her ass.

Kensington on October 25, 2007 at 4:03 PM

“….and he wouldn’t have done it to, say, David Gregory.”

Yes he would.

fogw on October 25, 2007 at 4:08 PM

I prefer “Get to the chopper!” for that but in this case I think he should have told Shipman to “Get your ass to Mars.”

James on October 25, 2007 at 4:08 PM

I think the hand grab was just to make sure she wasn’t constructed from a poly-metal alloy.

TallDave on October 25, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Oops, s/b “a mimetic poly-alloy.”

TallDave on October 25, 2007 at 4:20 PM

I just can’t believe the libs haven’t started a “scandal” over him “grabbing a woman like that”.

RightWinged on October 25, 2007 at 4:37 PM

No comparison to Katrina, though the left, and even Fox, want to make that comparison.

We in Houston still hear the b***hing from people who expect others to rebuild their homes while those in Mississippi and Alabama have been rebuilding theirs.

Californians will step up and rebuild, without mass looting, without calls of racism, without a lazy governor or incompetent mayor, without cries “the government” is out to get them.

God bless the Californians.

madmonkphotog on October 25, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Arhnuld: Why don’t you report the truth, Claire?
Claire: Kiss my ass!
Arhnuld: I can’t hear you!
Claire: I’ll say it a little louder, get f*cked!
Arhnuld: [holds Claire upside-down over a cliff by her leg] Listen, loyalty to the Democrats is very touching. But it is not the most important thing in your life right now! But what IS important is gravity! I have to remind you Claire, this is my weak arm!
Claire: You can’t kill me Arhnuld! You need me to report your progress!
Arhnuld: Are you going to report the truth?
Claire: I don’t know. But Gibson knows, I’ll take you to where I meet him!
Arhnuld: But you won’t.
Claire: Why is this?
Arhnuld: [holds the hotel key he stole from Claire that Gibson is staying at] Because I already know. Hey, Claire, remember when I said I would do your interview last?
Claire: That’s right, Arnhuld! You did!
Arhnuld: I lied.
[Arhnuld releases Claire, who falls to her demise]

That is what I’d like to see.

Andy in Agoura Hills on October 25, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Arnold grabbing her hand said loud and clear, listen, you are weak. Yes the weak seem to have the run of the country today but it still up to the strong to lead in times of trouble. The weak sister pulled back and shook a bit like a minnow writhing on a hook, but he held tight and that was that.

pc on October 25, 2007 at 5:22 PM

This is the only thing Arnold has done right. But it’s not enough to make me vote for him again. He has been a big disappointment otherwise.

Rose on October 25, 2007 at 5:23 PM

“….and he wouldn’t have done it to, say, David Gregory.”

Maybe we can dream that he would have taken Gregory by the throat instead … listen to me very carefully …

And folks, it’s pronounced “Collie-fornia” (as in Lassie)

-still breathin’ the smoke in SD and it ain’t the good kind.

Fogpig on October 25, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Change the law and let him be the president. I’m telling you, regardless of what you think of the man, he has some mighty big Malkins.

Griz on October 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM

regardless of what you think of the man, he has some mighty big Malkins.

Bull. I live in California. He’s a RINO and a wimp. I never voted for him and I never will.

Andy in Agoura Hills on October 25, 2007 at 5:30 PM

Because Arnie’s not a native US citizen, he can’t run for President. But nobody said he can’t run for Kaiser.

Shy Guy on October 25, 2007 at 5:33 PM

“regardless of what you think of the man, he has some mighty big Malkins.

Andy in Agoura Hills on October 25, 2007 at 5:30 PM”

This isn’t 1964. Being true to the base in california, NY or any major metro area with a high number of democrats is a recipe for never being elected. And you can’t get to C unless you get past A. Mitt Romney being elected Gov of Mass means he had to be a RINO, otherwise he couldn’t pull it off. Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t lean further right if he could survive politically.

pc on October 25, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Griz,
Great idea for this site: “The Malkins Meter” .. I’d just vote for the top metered candidate next November ..

Fogpig on October 25, 2007 at 5:36 PM

That stinking vulture couldn’t find a wound to get her beak in. ha ha ha

TheSitRep on October 25, 2007 at 5:38 PM

He would have put his hand on David Gregory’s shoulder with the same effect.

jtdavies on October 25, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Good move taking her hand.

And what’s with her reference to “some people”? Apparently “some people feel this is like Katrina” passes for objective news these days. Next she’ll be citing Perky Katie’s daughter as a source.

Dave Shay on October 25, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Touching during a conversation is powerful, just avoid touching boobies, butts and the hoo-hah.

spec_ops_mateo on October 25, 2007 at 5:53 PM

How come Arnold didn’t take his family and head for Vegas like Nagin took his and went to Dallas?

peacenprosperity on October 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM

pc
The last bill he signed makes him a liberal, not a moderate. It was not necessary to sign that bill.

Rose on October 25, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Griz on October 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM

No thanks. His conservative instincts might still be there in these little confrontations, but when it comes to major policy decisions he has sold out to Uncle Teddy and the libs.

infidel4life on October 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM

He didn’t go far enough. He should have shown her up to be the little snake she is. Great piece tho, it made the national news on Britts show on Fox. With Boxer looking like the loser she is on Johns’ show about the Ca Nat Guard, it was a good day!

countywolf on October 25, 2007 at 6:43 PM

That was just great. The reporter looks like Tina Fey from SNL trying to do some kind of news parody and the Govenator put her in her place.

Resolute on October 25, 2007 at 7:04 PM

It’s all good…
Too bad its not true

tommylotto on October 25, 2007 at 7:44 PM

LOL! Good one. I’d have to say, “yes”.

CliffHanger on October 25, 2007 at 8:07 PM

INTO DA CHOPPAH!!!

packsoldier on October 25, 2007 at 8:41 PM

HAHAHA…. the only thing missing was an ABC reporterette babe paddling by in a canoe in the background, while men walk across the camera lens path shin-deep in the water. LOL

MsUnderestimated on October 25, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Sorry, Arnold was supposed to get 150 Emergency Fire Trucks at the recommendation of The Blue Ribbon Task force AFTER the 2003 fires that were so devastating. How many NEW trucks has Arnold put into service???? NONE!!!! NOT ONE!!!! Navy helicopters didn’t get off of the ground for 48 HOURS!!! WHY??? The STATE FIRE SPOTTERS, who ride with the helicopter operators, WEREN’T THERE!!!!!!!!! Arnold should have stuck with his ol’ standby and blame it on Global Warming!!!

DfDeportation on October 25, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Arnold’s got plenty of stuff for Illegal Aliens though!!! Benedict Arnold is a traitor!!!!

DfDeportation on October 25, 2007 at 9:23 PM

A classic Alpha Male moment.

Splunge on October 25, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Oh, I think we have a winner, ladies and gentlemen.

Bing!

Jaibones on October 25, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Well the only ones complaining(whining)seems to be the
Liberal media!If this was a democrat governor,the media
would be painting the fire disasters with rainbows!

canopfor on October 25, 2007 at 11:02 PM

‘How dare there be good news when I have an agenda to report!’

hadsil on October 26, 2007 at 3:23 AM

Wait till she sues him for touching her. Terry Moron looks dejected because Arnold didn’t touch him.

LtE126 on October 26, 2007 at 8:27 AM