Clinton to Truthers: “How dare you”; Update: Video added

posted at 10:07 am on October 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

Must we give credit to Billy Jeff, big A?” My friends, we must.

Clinton’s 50-minute speech, which started about an hour behind schedule, was derailed briefly by several hecklers in the audience who shouted that the 2001 terrorist attacks were a fraud. Rather than ignoring them, Clinton seemed to relish a direct confrontation.

“A fraud? No, it wasn’t a fraud,” Clinton said, as the crowd cheered him on. “I’ll be glad to talk to you if you shut up and let me talk.”

When another heckler shouted that the attacks were an “inside job,” Clinton took even greater umbrage.

“An inside job? How dare you. How dare you. It was not an inside job,” Clinton said. “You guys have got to be careful, you’re going to give Minnesota a bad reputation.”

I like to imagine him delivering that with the same fiery resolve as his famous “Miss Lewinsky” line. (Which, er, was a lie.) Question: Besides Newt, has any prominent politician on either side dismissed these cretins so emphatically? Rudy must have tangled with them at some point but the one incident I’ve seen captured on video showed him, sadly, taking the path of least resistance. We know for sure that neither the top nor the bottom of the last Democratic ticket has the stones to tell them off to their face. Is this just a case of (gulp) Clinton having a little more courage than the rest of them? Or can Hillary, the “centrist” with a 25-point lead, afford to kiss off the left’s Truther faction in a way that Edwards and co. simply can’t?

Update: Here’s the clip. Money.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

1. The Clintons are poll-driven.

kooly on October 25, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Well, we sure know Bill is pole-driven! But I understand there are doubts about Hillary.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on October 26, 2007 at 1:36 AM

Hah. Looks like there’s something, for once, I can agree with Willy on.

Ryan Gandy on October 26, 2007 at 1:38 AM

Who pays for these people, (ex: truthers) to attend these “fundraisers”?

msflea on October 26, 2007 at 3:06 AM

Think: “Sister Soljah”.

The Monster on October 25, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Beat me by appx 13 hours.

What can I say? I was late to the thread.

But you nailed it.

Who better to perform the illusion than the illusionist who created it?

And The Glacier can keep her distance until Bill’s remarks reverberate in the polls.

Positive polls. She’s agrees with him.

Negative polls, and she can say he doesn’t speak for her.

Devil his due.
But I still loathe the man.

soundingboard on October 26, 2007 at 3:57 AM

Not real fond of the woman either.

soundingboard on October 26, 2007 at 3:59 AM

Two words: SISTAH SOLJAH.

Nobody understands triangulation like Clinton. Whatever else you can say about the man – and we’ve all said plenty – he knows how to win elections.

sulla on October 25, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Makes mental note to read all comments before posting.

soundingboard on October 26, 2007 at 4:02 AM

kooly on October 25, 2007 at 9:21 PM

OK…now I promise to shut up and read.

Y’all know how hard it is for graveyard, after day and swing shifts have taken all the good comments?

soundingboard on October 26, 2007 at 4:12 AM

Entelechy on October 26, 2007 at 12:26 AM

But graveyard comes through!

soundingboard on October 26, 2007 at 4:15 AM

Is this just a case of (gulp)……
Sorry – just wondering how Monica got in this story. :-)

OBX Pete on October 25, 2007 at 10:21 AM

*gag* I have to stop sipping a drink while I read your posts. Out my nose, dude!

Texas Nick 77 on October 26, 2007 at 5:12 AM

Looks like it might be third party time for the truthers.

chief on October 25, 2007 at 10:55 AM

We can hope that there is a “draft Al’ movement that gathers steam. Go 3rd party Prince Albert!

Texas Nick 77 on October 26, 2007 at 5:16 AM

I have always maintained that even though he was a lax Pres wrt terror, it was very good of him to be at ground zero that day, no matter what his motivations.

He helped a lot of people over there.

benrand on October 26, 2007 at 5:24 AM

Is this just a case of (gulp)……
Sorry – just wondering how Monica got in this story. :-)

OBX Pete on October 25, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Hot Air needs an annual awards banquet so this one can win funniest comment.

flipflop on October 26, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Reading this story I thought “Well ok Bill did good” but then when I saw the video I couldn’t help but think he was so phony. It may just be that I’ve been so jaded, but it just seemed wrong, the way he delivered it. And the truth is I hate that I feel this way towards a former President.

Gwillie on October 26, 2007 at 8:29 AM

RightWinged on October 25, 2007 at 10:54 AM

A couple of well-timed questions will suffice.

hillbillyjim on October 26, 2007 at 8:43 AM

No credit to Bill Clinton. Do you thank your kids when they tell the truth?

JiangxiDad on October 25, 2007 at 11:59 AM

No, I tell them it’s about D*mn Time…now back in your corner.

1. The Clintons are poll-driven.

kooly on October 25, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on October 26, 2007 at 1:36 AM

*cough* Coulda used without that visual today. Oy…

Miss_Anthrope on October 26, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Hot Air needs an annual awards banquet so this one can win funniest comment.

flipflop on October 26, 2007 at 8:28 AM

Texas Nick 77 on October 26, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Put NOTHING past these manipulators. NOTHING.

AmericanDad on October 25, 2007 at 10:29 AM
AMEN!!!!!

OBX Pete on October 25, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Double Amen!

The clip was linked on Drudge to the LiveLeak.com website. Lately there has been talk that the Clinton group has been feeding Drudge tidbits.

Leaked gossip says Drudge is leaning to Hillary. I do not see that since Drudge played the Hillary cackle on his radio program every time he wanted to scare his audience.

Drudge is a brilliant communicator. Brilliant. He is unmatched. He even (IMHO) plays games placing items that contain clues within. The clues lead you to conclusions more effectively than any editorial.

Is this a clue or is this simply another meaty web site Druge is sharing? Only time will tell.

I am of the opinion the Clintons wanted to create a counter image to Obama’s cheap-patriotism-of-waving-the-flag remark which flies over Obama’s head more boldly than any flag pin could have hurt him with the base

Or Bill could have just gotten lucky

entagor on October 26, 2007 at 1:47 PM

BTW CNN did more of the pre video. Interestingly the edited out the truther part of the vid

In stead it has Clinton attacking “elitist republicans”

Clinton “How dare you rpublicans !”

William Amos on October 26, 2007 at 5:18 PM

Interstlingly now ABC news has the truther part up with extra scenes.

Would love to see the FULL video not edits of it

William Amos on October 26, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Larraby on October 25, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Actually, there is evidence for a lot of the Clinton wrongdoing. And there is much evidence that Foster was not killed where he was found. His suicide note was deemed by handwriting experts to be a forgery, btw.

As far as Clinton silencing the truthers, if their moronic theories were true, it would have had to have been initiated on Clinton’s watch, so he’s not standing up for anyone but himself.

The man is a slime.

Connie on October 26, 2007 at 6:09 PM

FOX finally comes through! Woohoo!

Hillary Clinton Accuser Claims New Evidence of Fraud in Documentary

Connie on October 26, 2007 at 6:28 PM

“Am I the only one who wishes there was some sort of law written that would allow us to stomp these douches when we encounter them?”

Nope.

Mike H on October 26, 2007 at 7:27 PM

I pray that this staged Clinton outrage scene (IMHO) makes it into the “Body Language” segment with Tonya Reiman on the O’Reilly Factor. Compare and contrast this scene to BillyJeff’s anger in his interview with Chris Wallace. This time, notice BJ’s relaxed posture (hand stays in his pocket as turns from side to side scanning crowd reaction before his big moment), pregnant pause while he WAITS for the next line to be delivered, overly dramatic facial expression doesn’t match his rather subdued tone of voice, lack of facial flushing, etc. This is probably a good glimpse into how he reacts to Hillary when he’s busted for yet another indiscrete infidelity. The guy’s had LOTS of practice. I think we should brace ourselves for more of this QUICK-WE-HAVE-TO-CHANGE-THE-SUBJECT! crap in the run-up to the primary and the general elections (and God forbid her 2012 RE-election)

Money well spent: at $25- $100 a ticket for admission to the event, I bet that’s the best bang-for-his-buck he’s gotten since his heart surgery.

NightmareOnKStreet on October 26, 2007 at 8:53 PM

I completely agree with those who think this is staged. It sounded so freaking fake, and I can see the political maneuvering here -

The Clintons practically own Media Matters and all sorts of Soros run groups who engage in neo-Stalinist attempts at censorship and Orwellian propaganda.

We’re on to them and disastrous events in the past few weeks let them know that we know it. Presto! Time to create a diversion where they express faux outrage at the people who are funding them.

Buy Danish on October 26, 2007 at 10:07 PM

As much as I agree with what he said … I am not sure why he said it ??? There must be “somewhow it will help Hillary” angle in there … somewhere. I don’t think these two do anything unless it somehow helps them !!!

aniladesai on October 26, 2007 at 10:18 PM

IF you watch that CNN clip will see that Clinton wants to not make it so much a truther issue as a right wing smear attack on him and hillary

William Amos on October 26, 2007 at 10:32 PM

These people are not living up to their name. If they were seeking the truth they would cull through all of data first and determine fact from fiction.

The ‘Truther’s’ keeping up with these antics must be called lairs until they can prove themselves to be authentic.

However, it is simply interesting to hear President Mr. Clinton downplays the truther’s claims in the same fashion he used to claim he did on have #$% with that women, first impression is that using the same tone will cause people to believe his claim of not having #$% with that woman so his tarnished past becomes believable to those who actually know the truth-he did it and was proud of being able to get away with it.

I am just waiting to see Mr. Clinton and O.J to share the same golf cart.

MSGTAS on October 27, 2007 at 11:15 AM

I am just waiting to see Mr. Clinton and O.J to share the same golf cart.

MSGTAS on October 27, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Or Jail Cell !!!

OBX Pete on October 27, 2007 at 12:53 PM

It pains be to say… that here in Minnesota we still see Wellstone bumper stickers. I think maybe I should have a permanent maker along to write “He’s Dead” across them when I see one.

Dasher on October 28, 2007 at 2:29 PM