Breaking: The DREAM dies! Update: Roll added

posted at 1:02 pm on October 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

For now. Cloture fails, 52-44. Standby for the roll and reaction.

Update: I’m hoping to get some video up of Durbin but the Beauchamp news may have me sidetracked for awhile. Here’s the roll, though, as promised. Recall that the shamnesty cloture vote this summer failed with 53 votes, not 44, although it was more politically important for the participants to be seen on the right side in that one than it was here, which probably accounts for most of the difference.

Quick and easy scan of Democrats voting against: Baucus, Byrd, Conrad, Dorgan, Landrieu, Pryor, Tester, and good ol’ McCaskill, whose objections to amnesty evidently don’t end at labor concerns. Republicans voting for: Bennett, Coleman, Collins, our friend Larry Craig, Hagel, Hatch, Hutchison, Lott, Lugar, “Amnesty Mel” Martinez, Snowe, and Sam Brownback, who was free to show his true colors today sans 11th-hour switch.

dream.png

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I was relieved to see Lindsey Graham vote “nay” in favor of the Constitution and the American people. But it is too late for Graham-amnesty. He has already shown his true RHINO colors. Time is running out for him. We need to find a true conservative to replace Lindsey.

ColtsFan on October 24, 2007 at 3:01 PM

I think the republicans that vote for these types of bills are in the pocket of corporations that profit from illegal cheap labor and don’t want to piss them off.

The dems of course are just trying to get more dem voters.

csdeven on October 24, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Totally correct.

maxine on October 24, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Norm Coleman is as close to a “Bush-like Dem-appeasing Rino” as is found under rocks and in the Senate. I’m ashamed of him. Again.
Last time this amnesty came up he voted wrong and then, when everyone complained, he voted right, which helped kill amnesty. I’ll vote third party rather than support him. Is Al Franken still in the race?

Doug on October 24, 2007 at 3:05 PM

So what’s that so far this year 4 tries at shamnesty and 4 big wins for the American people, no thanks to the tools that keep pushing this BS.
So what’s the over under for the next re-incarnation of shamnesty”?

Firmworm on October 24, 2007 at 3:00 PM

I vote for cloture is a vote for the dream act don’t let Lott or any of these idiots try and spin it any other way .

Mojack420 on October 24, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Firmworm on October 24, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Cloture is a vote to end debate, basically an agreement to not filibuster and prevent a vote. You need 60 votes to end a filibuster, so instead of going through the drawn-out process of actually filibustering now they have these cloture votes to agree to end debate and allow a vote. Takes 60 votes, just as it does to end a filibuster.

Those spineless Senators, like LOTT, who want the bill to pass, but want political cover, will vote to end debate (cloture), and then vote against the bill. Takes 60 votes to end debate, but only 50 to pass the bill. So if they got the 60 votes, up to 10 spineless republicans who votes YES for cloture could turn around and vote AGAINST the bill,and it would STILL pass. They ENABLED it to pass, they knew what they were doing, they wanted it to pass, but they can say they voted against the bill. In other words, they are spineless DOUCHES!!!!!

RW Wacko on October 24, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Mojack420 on October 24, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Thanks Mojack..the staffer seemed a little impatient and I guess it’s the canned response to any negative feedback.

Firmworm on October 24, 2007 at 3:14 PM

So Lott will say he voted to end debate b/c he thinks “all bills deserve to be voted on” blah blah blah.

RW Wacko on October 24, 2007 at 3:15 PM

RW Wacko on October 24, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Thanks RW Wacko….Next time I won’t be so polite.

Firmworm on October 24, 2007 at 3:20 PM

It’s another “fool the yahoos” ploy.

INC on October 24, 2007 at 3:21 PM

We have to win everytime…they only once.

ronsfi on October 24, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Frakking Hutchinson…………plans on running for Governor….pander pander pander….well Ms. Hutchinson I’d rather vote for the cowpies in the field now. Well I hope the Farmers Branch and Irving TEJAS voters appreciate your vote cause you will never be governor here now.

Limerick on October 24, 2007 at 3:23 PM

It’s another “fool the yahoos” ploy.

INC on October 24, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Exactly, got the same BS from Martinez’s local office here. I can’t believe we have a Dem and a RINO down here.

RW Wacko on October 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Thanks to all of you who called and saved the US from the actions of my senators (Durbin and Obama).

dm60462 on October 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM

our friend Larry Craig

Perhaps he encountered Tommy in an airport men’s room.

infidel4life on October 24, 2007 at 3:39 PM

RW Wacko,

another Florida resident! I called Mel & Nel. Mel’s office told me they didn’t know how he was going to vote-can you believe it!

Firmworm,

After I posted, I realized how my above comment may have come across. My sincere apologies-in no way was my comment meant as a slam to you. It was just my anger at the senators’ dirty tricks-that they won’t be straightforward with us.

INC on October 24, 2007 at 3:42 PM

We should all devote as much effort to calls, sending faxes/e-mails as we did before this vote today. Slap upside the head those that tried to sell us out – congratulate those that voted in our interests. This monster has been resurrected 5 times and does not appear to have an end in sight. Ask every POTUS hopeful to clearly state how they viewed the issue and would have voted.

OT – 33% of the avocado crop has been destroyed in San Diego reported by Shep/Fox News.

24K lady on October 24, 2007 at 3:43 PM

I called Senator Specter’s Washington office yesterday. I told the staffer that I had switched parties to vote for Specter in his last primary–which he just barely won–but had been extremely disappointed by his voting on immigration. The staffer was so positive towards me. She said she would personally tell him my story–much more enthusiasm that I would have expected. I had a hunch Specter was moving our way.

I suppose it is never a mistake to try.

thuja on October 24, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Senator Jeff Sessions should run for President. He is a leader.

ColtsFan on October 24, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Ditto!

He is my first choice and has been for many moons.

MB4 on October 24, 2007 at 4:13 PM

ColtsFan on October 24, 2007 at 2:26 PM

I have adopted him as my senator since fienstine and boxer are two pathetic shills.

Mojack420 on October 24, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Firmworm,

INC on October 24, 2007 at 3:42 PM
INC……your comment was in no way offensive. No apology necessary here. Thanks…….Firmworm

Firmworm on October 24, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Hey, Graham! I thought you were going to tell the bigots to Shut Up !?!

Oh, wait a minute. I heard that the Americans told you to shut up.

jaime on October 24, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Kay Baily Hutchinson voted for this POS. Next, she wants to run for Governor of Texas? Why is it so hard for these stupid people to realize that it is insane to reward illegal activity. These people need to be deported. I would support a complete pullout of Iraq if they would use the soldiers to round up illegals and run them back to wherever they came from and had the soldiers stay on guard to keep the rats out.
I worry more about all those ignorant peasants overrunning us than I do about those crazy Iraqis. There are already way too many people here now. How damn crowded do they want this place anyway?

saiga on October 24, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Hey, OsamaObama finally voted on something. It seemed like recently he had figured out that skipping the votes gave him fewer liabilities…

Thanks to all who fought this back one more time!

bofh on October 24, 2007 at 5:28 PM

saiga – they want this country to resemble exactly where the aliens came from (no matter what part of the globe they’re from), that’s pretty clear. Somehow, someway, we are supposed to lay our culture aside, welcome the masses from across the globe and at the same time, fund it all. Can’t be done. Until we restore some sanity to our immigration policy we are doomed. Our infrastructure cannot ever keep pace with the demand for the added population, our environment is threatened, and we’re allowing several 5th columns to grow.

24K lady on October 24, 2007 at 5:50 PM

saiga on October 24, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Personally, I do see your broader point.

I do not want a pull-out of Iraq.

But I do understand your point that the invasion from illegal immigration is a far more serious threat to us than the Middle East. In America we have no border security and we have no interior enforcement. Any Middle East jihadist only needs to “over-stay a travel VISA” for a couple of years until the Democrats and the RHINOs attempt ONCE AGAIN an amnesty program designed to reward illegal behavior with the gift of USA citizenship.

I do predict that another successful amnesty (NOTE: there have been 7 amnesties since 1986—google “Numbers USA”) will turn Red State Texas and its large electoral votes into a deep Blue Democrat state. And that will just mean a dominant Democrat electoral vote majority for a very long time.

ColtsFan on October 24, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Hutchinson, you turd. We thought you were for Texas, not for yourself. Well, that vote’s gonna backfire.

TexasDan on October 24, 2007 at 6:24 PM

TexasDan – “Don’t mess with Texas” – some learn, some never do. We absolutely must vote in the people that will help stem this flood before they gain voting rights. Course, in SoTX stories abound about illegals registering and voting. We need a much tighter control on voting as well. Heck, they could nominate and vote in Vincente Fox for governor the way it’s going.

24K lady on October 24, 2007 at 6:55 PM

I would love to see term limits for congress. I doubt we will ever see it, or if it is possible. If the congress was serving their Country for a few years instead of making it a career, I think we would see much better results. Like I wrote earlier, it is really sad that a few in this party are not listening to their voters. I am easy to please, small government, low taxes, entitlement reform, secure borders, deport criminal illegals, crackdown on employers hiring illegals, strong national security, destroy the enemy wherever they are. Maybe that would be to much to ask, but I think that would be a winning platform in ’08.

chief on October 24, 2007 at 7:02 PM

ColtsFan – after Katrina a blogger from LA gave thanks that many of those evacuated would not return and apologized to TX for the next elections. Golly, the new governor is Republican in LA and I’m expecting TX to go Blue. Guess our own sweet KBH was just trying to get in practice.

24K lady on October 24, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Landrieu had to vote no since the Jindal landslide and that her potential opponent, Kennedy was re-elected in LA by default. He is so strong statewide, no one would run against him.

Kermit on October 24, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Interesting Boxer Shorts can shoot off her mouth about troops, war and the fires in southern California all in one breath but can not vote, which is her job. She must be a racist.

Wade on October 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Wade on October 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM

Someone stole her box and the midget (mentally, of course) couldn’t reach the button.

BKennedy on October 24, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Boo on Hutchinson! She lost another Texans vote.

docdave on October 24, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Ding Dong the witch is dead…

GoodBoy on October 24, 2007 at 1:05 PM

To paraphrase The Terminator, “It’ll be back.” The anti-borders crowd won’t give up. We have to maintain our dilligence.

Texas Nick 77 on October 25, 2007 at 4:57 AM

Kay Bailey just lost my one, lone, little vote. She’ll not miss it but she will the hundreds of people I intend to make it my personal vendetta to inform of her treason. It’s, I tell someone, they tell someone, and by the time she “finally” declares her candidacy for governor of the Great State of Texas there won’t be anyone at the polls voting for her. Word of mouth has put more than one restaurant out of business – should work against a turn coat senator as well. Dang, I’m flippin mad.

24K lady on October 24, 2007 at 1:28 PM

I heard she was not running for re-election. I do hope she runs for governor…. just so we can bring this up during her campaign. It should bite her in her backside.

Texas Nick 77 on October 25, 2007 at 5:03 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. Keep that list. Remind everybody about it before the next vote. They are going to pay for their willingness to sell out our country.

Zetterson on October 24, 2007 at 2:15 PM

We need to purge the party. We need viable alternatives in THE PRIMARY races so we don’t have to choose between a progressive tool and a corrupt incubant. Our whole government (both parties) has to go. They have become ineffective and care more about their own power than the good of our country. They are selling out to Mexico, the UN, political thugs pressure groups… Bush is at the top of that list. Then is McCain, “Amnesty” Mel, Grahm’nesty… the list is too long. We can’t “off with their heads” but we can have a “revolution” at the ballot box. I happen to agree with Glenn Beck on this one… solve it now or this country is in for some rough times…

BadBrad on October 25, 2007 at 8:20 AM

I live in PA also, and “Benedict Arlen” is NOT moving our way. I read an article where he said that the reason he voted no on cloture for the dream act is that he still wants “comprehensive immigration reform” with a path to citizenship for ALL illegals.

Paul the American on October 25, 2007 at 8:57 AM

BadBrad on October 25, 2007 at 8:20 AM

I asked my best friend if he could ever remember a time when Congress and President together tried over and over to ram bills through against a public roar of disapproval as we have seen on immigration

He said “It proves that the citizens have finally lost control of our government. The Government is not longer responding to the will of the people.”

How can a government of elected representatives be unresponsive to voters?

Aside from coup the only way is massive voter fraud.

This is being done by opening the borders and inviting in, with full government protection, 30 million potential voters who are being paid to have citizen babies

It is obvious the elected representatives are betting on this voter fraud. All the bills they are submitting are designed to accelerate the process of ballot stuffing, from drivers license (aka voter id) for illegals to special categories of health care and education benefits that exceed what is given citizens

These curs believed they had the numbers and dropped all pretenses.

I am heartened today. What a battle to save our nation.

entagor on October 25, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Very disappointed to see Brownback’s name with the Aye’s again!

I reminded him that DREAM stands for “Democrats Redistributing Every American’s Money” ….to illegals.

Relieved with the outcome…disgusted with our supposedly “conservative” Senator: apparently he has to be on a stage with Hillary or Charlie Rangel to seem conservative.

landlines on October 25, 2007 at 6:27 PM