Video: Self-parodic anti-war movie trailer of the day

posted at 3:32 pm on October 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

We can’t judge the film (well, we can judge it a little) but we can certainly judge the trailer. Not a blessed thing here will surprise you, from the ironic bravado of the whispered chant at the beginning to the thrash war montage to the slo-mo for the idyllic return home to the melodrama of our hero coming to realize what’s Right and what’s Wrong. The one exception: the flashes of text (“You Gave Everything”), which make the film’s grievance agenda unusually plain. Typically they’re not that overt, although given how heavy handed these things to be, they might as well be.

They missed the golden age of harrowing, “what was it all for, man” anti-war filmmaking after Vietnam, and now they will. not. be. denied. Click the image to watch.

stop-loss.jpg

Comments

I am begining to suspect that Hollywood leans to the left.

RobCon on October 23, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Do I even want to watch the trailer, or will my intelligence be insulted?

Vanceone on October 23, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Pretty soon the backers of these crappy films are going to run out of money, right?

BelchSpeak on October 23, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Do they really know what stop loss means?

It means that, like my son who was supposed to be discharged in January 2008, you are retained because of your MOS beyond your discharge date (which is in the enlistment contract, BTW, before anyone starts with the lying recruiter meme). My son will now not be discharged until three months after his return from Iraq, some time in December 2008.

Mommynator on October 23, 2007 at 3:42 PM

After Renditions opening, maybe this will go straight to DVD.

It seems like Hollywood is trying to stir up controversy using the left’s talking points. Expect the next epic to be “Forced to Torture by the Bush administration” coming to a theater near you.

Bill C on October 23, 2007 at 3:42 PM

I have an idea for a movie. Brokeback Iraq. Two buddies go on tour, love flourishes, one gets killed by an IED. I smell Oscar.

BelchSpeak on October 23, 2007 at 3:43 PM

I hope it is about as popular as “Rendition.”

nailinmyeye on October 23, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Can’t get the trailer to work but just as well. Followed the link and it sounds oh so typical. Surprised Oliver Stone wasn’t involved.

mjkazee on October 23, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Does no one in Hollywood think army recruits are capable of reading contracts? I know that Britney can’t read court orders, but normal people generally consider things like that before they sign things.

Kensington on October 23, 2007 at 3:50 PM

BelchSpeak on October 23, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Great post! But, I’m compelled to correct one thing. Neither of the lovers will be killed. The Christian [fanatical and Bible spewing - fundamentalist, even] member of the squad will be the one who gets killed. And, rightly so.

Now, THERE’S your Hollywood movie!

OhEssYouCowboys on October 23, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Lordy, I hope this is entertainingly bad. The download is taking for-evah.

see-dubya on October 23, 2007 at 3:52 PM

When you enlist, you gotta read the fine print.

That’s the “message” of this film?

We have a “hero” who didn’t read his contract carefully?

THE HUMANITY!

profitsbeard on October 23, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Even the bootleggers are saying “man, give me a break, I can’t give this crap away!”

BDavis on October 23, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Screw that noise. Here’s the Official John Rambo trailer:

Burma’s a warzone.

Mindcrime on October 23, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Down with BushCo/McCheney/Halliburton!…er, whatever. Good lord, more typical Hollywood “morale-building”.

Kensington on October 23, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Good point.

CP on October 23, 2007 at 3:57 PM

I can’t wait to get another leftist/elitist harangue about how evil we are.

forest on October 23, 2007 at 4:00 PM

BDavis on October 23, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Heh.

Jaibones on October 23, 2007 at 4:01 PM

one needs to be a jihadi. If only we understood them, they could become the good homosexuals they were meant to be.

JiangxiDad on October 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I hope it is about as popular as “Rendition.”

nailinmyeye on October 23, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Strange that the star of Rendition is the ex-wife of the star of Stop Loss.

Brat on October 23, 2007 at 4:04 PM

JiangxiDad on October 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM

It’s like West Side Story. But with sand.

And camels.

Mindcrime on October 23, 2007 at 4:05 PM

JiangxiDad on October 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Can the intolerant, Christian still be the one to get it?

OhEssYouCowboys on October 23, 2007 at 4:05 PM

[BDavis on October 23, 2007 at 3:56 PM]

It’s a nefarious plan by Hollywood to put the movie pirates out of business.

Dusty on October 23, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Can the intolerant, Christian still be the one to get it?

He’s latent, but at the end of the movie, spys a cute shepherd, and is last seen in a burka being led away on a camel

JiangxiDad on October 23, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Mommynator on October 23, 2007 at 3:42 PM

My son (Marine Sgt.) extended 4 months in order to go to Iraq.

God Bless your Son and all who go in harms way.

1sttofight on October 23, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Not for nothing but you really can’t get stop loss-ed after a deployment, only before.

BohicaTwentyTwo on October 23, 2007 at 4:13 PM

An Inconvenient Sicko Mountain.

Inspired by true events. It’s the story of a US Iraqi soldier, played by Sean Penn, torn from his unit when he almost drowns in flood waters, finds himself in the island paradise of Cuba where he falls madly in love with a doctor, Che’s grandson, who saves his life with mouth to mouth. Together, this ex-soldier and humanist doctor, find the true meaning love, the value of health care, and the will to fight global warming. The screen flares with passion, excitement, and danger.

Two thumbs up!
– Moore & Gore

I laughed, I cried!
– Cindy Sheehan

Riveting, Explosive, Sexy!
– Gene Siskel

One of the Year’s Ten Best!
– The Village Voice

This is Sean Penn’s finest work!
– Sean Penn

Don’t Waste Your Money!
– Jihadwatcher Hotair

America is ready for a change!
– Hillary Clinton

Investigate 9/11!
– Truthers for Truth

Down with Bushilter!
– Code Pink

jihadwatcher on October 23, 2007 at 4:18 PM

jihadwatcher on October 23, 2007 at 4:18 PM

You forgot one.

Needs more Ron Paul
-Bircheresque Cranks

BohicaTwentyTwo on October 23, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Not entertainingly bad, just very, very bad.

“From the Director of Boys Don’t Cry!”

see-dubya on October 23, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Does Hollywood believe that there is a single positive story worth telling about the War in Iraq? Or are they going to continue to toss their money down the drain with this dross?

At least with ‘Nam, they waited for the war to end before they started to trash American troops with their movies. Now we have Depalma poised to make a movie that portray our soldiers as rapists.

Today’s Hollywood is filled with people with no sense of loyalty or responsability, just unimaginative hipster jetsetters pushing a pc worldview.

Verbal Abuse on October 23, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Ain’t watching the trailor…ain’t going to the movie…period…

areseaoh on October 23, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Do I have to click on the link, or can I take a pass on it? Frankly, I’d rather smash my head repeatedly with a brick. Apparently, given Rendition’s lousy box-office so far, I am not alone in that preference.

Michele becomes Brandon’s confidante and accomplice as he races across the U.S. – a fugitive from justice in the country he fought to protect – in search of a way out of his predicament.

I guess along the way they meet up with a bunch of napaalm loving surfer Airborne guys, stop a psychopathic CIA agent from killing a playboy centerfold jihadi, and in the end they kill his recruiter who only says “The horror, the horror,” just before being killed.

I think I saw that one already.
I didn’t like it.

TABoLK on October 23, 2007 at 4:29 PM

I think you meant, “what was it all for, man?”

Which reminds me of that Benny Hill routine in which the actress struggles with the line, “What is this thing called love?”

What is this thing called, love?
What is this thing called, love?
What is this thing called, love?

And so on.

km on October 23, 2007 at 4:32 PM

But my liberal friends still INSIST Hollywood does not lean left. They think everyone think like that, b/c, well, they themselves do.

RW Wacko on October 23, 2007 at 4:54 PM

RW Wacko on October 23, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Wow, how did the double-post happen? sorry ’bout that!

RW Wacko on October 23, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Now, THERE’S your Hollywood movie!

No, I’ve got to one up you here. The true oscar winner: The lovers are both killed by an IED, planted by The Christian soldier who tries to pin it on the jihadists. His plot is discovered by an Iraqi stringer (who is also an al Qaeda operative) and he teams up with an American CO (there is some sexual tension between them but the Iraqi, being unenlightened, won’t commit to anything more than feeding each other ethnic food)Together, they solve the mystery. Rather than risk a US jury, the American CO allows the Jihadi to give the evil homophobic Christian a much deserved beheading.
I could make this movie, win an Oscar, write a book about making the movie and winning an Oscar, and never work again. You could become the anti war Al Gore. Ok, I need to go throw up now.

austinnelly on October 23, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Did I mention that I VOLUNTEERED to go back. Screw this movie and just watch “In Harms Way”.

GREENTURTLE on October 23, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Now, THERE’S your Hollywood movie!

austinnelly on October 23, 2007 at 5:11 PM

You are almost there here are a couple of notes.
1. The homo couple found out the secret of 911 and the wacky christian soldier is also a CIA operative. BTW he found out that they were gay because of the wiretap on the couples gramas.
2. Sean Penn will play both the CO and the Jihadis
3. Work in Global Warming somehow.

GREENTURTLE on October 23, 2007 at 5:37 PM

Buuut, don’t question Hollywoods patriotism and their support of our troops..

docdave on October 23, 2007 at 6:07 PM

And don’t forget those Israelis, all engineering these things from their secret lair inside a volcano. While an innocent, sweet Mossad Assassin (Eric Bana reprising his role) cries over having to kill another terrorist. Because we all know that Mossad Assassins are nothing but a bunch of crybabies.

mjk on October 23, 2007 at 6:07 PM

In the antiwar movie (forgot name) where Hollywood worships the murderers who were involved in the actual case where military servicemen actually raped and murdered Iraqis in cold blood, we see their penchant for finding improbable yet actual cases of wrongdoing so they can lie and embellish upon it to make the military look bad.

For Stop-Loss, is there a single actual case of someone being stop-lossed on their final day on active duty after they return from deployment? We’ve had no one redeploy closer than 7 months from their return. (Marines get at least 7 months between deployments). I think not. As Bohica22 says it happens when your End of Active Obligated Service (EAOS) occurs during your expected deployment period (i.e. you would need to be left behind for months in order to get out on time) and therefore, you would be stop lossed before you deploy, not after you deploy. And it only keeps you around until the deployment is over. Then you are out. So this movie is pure fiction. Never happened even once.

Why can’t Hollywood just for once make a decent war pic that is factual, accurate and promilitary? Why is there an interlock? If “Lone Survivor” were made according to the book, even if done badly, they would make hundreds of millions of dollars. Is that so difficult for them to understand?

Subsunk

Subsunk on October 23, 2007 at 6:18 PM

So Hollywood’s trying to make Trailer-Trash respectable?!?

landlines on October 23, 2007 at 6:25 PM

This enormous turd is helmed by the same hack that did that oscar-winning flick with the Lifetime Network production value, “Boys Don’t Cry”. With this one she went way over budget because she has no understanding of how the military actually works.

This is also the film during which Ryan Phillipe started banging his co-star while his wife was home with their kids. Classy.

MikeZero on October 23, 2007 at 6:55 PM

I feel I should mention that my above comment is hearsay. Kind of falls into the “Too Good to Check” category.

MikeZero on October 23, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Ok, Let me pitch one:
A group of disaffected Colorado teenagers gather nightly to drink beer and bemoan America’s imperialist agression ’till one afternoon Communist paratroopers land in their very school yard and off their principle. They cheer and run to embrace their liberators. Later, employing their outdoors savvy and knowledge of the lay of the land, they form a special detail to hunt down and execute the local resistance. Oscar winning scene: Discovering a group of townspeople hiding in a cellar – among which are his own parents and siblings – Woody wins his inner struggle to overcome the last vestige of his weak, western humanism and blasts them.
I predict critical acclaim. Wild enthusiasm at Cannes and Sundance.

mugged on October 23, 2007 at 7:02 PM

The willfully ignorant in Hollywood act as though the stop-loss feature of voluntary enlistment just kicked in upon the beginning of OIF. I was under “stop-loss” a couple of times during my active duty service in the eighties and nineties. (I suppose that some of the willfully ignorant would attribute that to the fact that two of my three CinCs during that time period were Republican.) However, as someone else said, reading the fine print is illuminating. Don’t want to be subject to all of the items and possibilities spelled out in the contract, don’t join.

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 7:02 PM

So has Pat Dollard gotten a deal for Young Americans yet?

see-dubya on October 23, 2007 at 7:06 PM

jihadwatcher on October 23, 2007 at 4:18 PM

Uh, Gene Siskel is dead.

aengus on October 23, 2007 at 7:11 PM

So has Pat Dollard gotten a deal for Young Americans yet?

see-dubya on October 23, 2007 at 7:06 PM

From what I understand, he has a deal but can’t release details at this time. I visit http://www.patdollard.com/ every day, hoping for some update. At least it gives me a chance to watch Bashman’s video rants, some freaky stuff there

TBinSTL on October 23, 2007 at 7:30 PM

He was probably one of the kids that only signed up for the college money. When you enlist, no matter what the length of time of Active duty you sign up for, they own you for 8, count ‘em 8 years. But they don’t read that in the contract they sign and feign stupidity.

I will not be seeing any of this leftist garbage that Hollyweird seems to be churning out without care for what this is doing to the Soldiers families.

saltydogg14 on October 23, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Next up, the sure-to-be-smash hits Golden Handcuffs, Fine Print on My AT&T iPhone Plan, and Forgive Me, Iggy, I Forgot to Read the Contract!

On a related note, the trailer sort of reminds me of this.

calbear on October 23, 2007 at 9:01 PM

aengus on October 23, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Yes, I meant to write Gene Shalit. Gene Siskel RIP.

jihadwatcher on October 23, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Does Marxism infect the mind so much it makes one believe in illegal wars? I had no idea these moonbats were this insane.

Black Adam on October 24, 2007 at 1:25 AM

I recall from my own enlistment (granted, a long time ago), no matter how many years of active duty you sign up for (2, 3, or 4 years) your butt belongs to the army for a total of 8 years, in the inactive reserve; 3 years active, 5 years inactive reserve, at any time in those 5 years you can be recalled to duty according to the needs of the service.

Frozen Tex on October 24, 2007 at 2:13 AM

So when should we expect Hollywood to tackle the story of Navy Seals Michael Murphy, Danny Dietz and author Marcus Luttrell from Lone Survivor?

I’m guessin’ not soon.

elpresidente on October 24, 2007 at 4:31 AM

I’m guessin’ not soon.

Yeah, but if it ever does get made, I’ll be first in line. It would make “Passion of the Christ” money. Guaranteed.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 24, 2007 at 10:23 AM

As soon as the ‘Run-Save-Cancel’ button came on; I knew this was a Hollywood BS war movie promotion. Is this the same movie that has been advertised on TV, touting Redford and Cruise as stars. MMMmm ??? Those to idiots can take a flying ‘F_ _ _’ off a cliff ’cause those two idiots can’t handle reality.

oldelpasoan on October 24, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Ah, I knew I’d seen it around here before.

amerpundit on January 14, 2008 at 2:00 PM

BelchSpeak on October 23, 2007 at 3:41 PM

As long as Soros and his ilk have piles of filthy lucre, we’ll have to endure trailers such as these.

Christine on March 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM