Video: Halle Berry’s censored anti-semitic joke

posted at 9:10 am on October 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

They had to censor it. If they’d aired it, they’d be complicit in disseminating it and people would want to know why they hadn’t cut it. So she benefits from NBC’s CYA, which is annoying.

Evidently some audience members thought so too because they spilled the beans to Page Six:

According to one audience member, “She introduced the first photo by saying, ‘Here’s where I look like my Jewish cousin!’ – it was a picture of her with a huge, distorted nose. No one laughed, and Jay nervously said, ‘I’m glad you said that and not me.’ When the show aired, they cut out her ‘Jewish’ comment and added a laugh track to the bit.”

Another guest in the audience told us, “If you watch the clip, you can see Halle saying the word ‘Jewish,’ though obviously there is no audio. NBC covered her a–. Ms. Berry should know how unbelievably inappropriate her comment was . . . She should be ashamed of herself.”

Berry, 41, who sounded like she was near tears, told Page Six last night: “I so didn’t mean to offend anybody – and after the show I realized it could be seen as offensive, so I asked Jay to take it out, and he did.”…

Berry, who even offered to call Page Six’s source and apologize in person, said, “It was just a lighthearted segment that was meant to make fun of myself. There was a picture where I said I looked like Monica Lewinsky and one where I said I looked like Jay. It was just supposed to be a silly segment. I am so sorry, and I apologize.”

It’s at the beginning of the clip, around -9:05. She sounds contrite and of course she benefits enormously from the Beautiful Idiot stereotype. “Halle Berry doesn’t know that jokes about Jewish noses are offensive? Huh. Well, she is hot.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I cannot believe anyone could get upset over that.

Please.

The Ugly American on October 23, 2007 at 3:27 PM

If she’s Jewish, it’s just an insider’s joke.

If she’s not, she’s a moron.

Good thing she’s hot, too.

Otherwise it’s noose time!

Plenty of them lately.

Suspiciously so.

No joke.

profitsbeard on October 23, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Halle Berry is the daughter of an African American man and a Jewish woman who I believe is Ashkenazi, so she probably indeed has Jewish cousins. Regardless of Ms. Berry’s religious affiliation, according to Jewish law she is Jewish. In any case she illustrates the schizophrenic ways race and ethnicity are dealt with in modern society.

She’s identified as a “black” actress, yet ethnically she’s just as Jewish as she is black but nobody will associate her good looks with her Jewish ancestry. That’s mostly because the media and the black community has embraced the KKK’s “one drop of blood” definition of racial identity. It’s also because of the very stereotypes that Berry was trading in, that Jews are unattractive, often with big noses.

Not coincidentally, attractive Jewish actors and actresses often had to change their names and hide their Jewish backgrounds, perpetuating the stereotype. Lauren Bacall (Shimon Peres’ first cousin) and John Garfield (nee Jacob Julius Garfinkle) are two examples.

Berry shouldn’t talk. There are plenty of women in all those videos and images of IDF babes that are even better looking than she is.

rokemronnie on October 23, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Hmmm . . . Where have I heard similar comments about my “Jew Nose,” before?

Debbie, come on. There’s nothing similar between the hate mail you receive from Islamic maniacs and a dopey joke told by Halle Berre, a dim-witted woman mortified by the realization that she made a no-no.

Kensington on October 23, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Black woman slamming jews?

She’s channelling Sharpton?

Black Adam on October 23, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Allah:
I think I like your Apple product placement on Hot Air way better than I like Halle Berry’s Apple product placement.

Kensington:
If they can attack Ann Coulter for merely discussing the differences as she sees them between Jews and Christians, I can attack Halle Berry for something she clearly planned out, since she brought the pictures. As I wrote, what’s good for the Goose is good for the Halle. And frankly, I think the documented rise in anti-Semitism is not unique to Islam, just more prominent and facilitated by it. I wonder if there’s be this muted reaction and Jay Leno/NBC cover up if someone talked about Halle Berry and said something racist. No, I don’t wonder. I think it’s been established. Remember Don Imus?

Debbie Schlussel on October 23, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Debbie…come on.

Kensington on October 23, 2007 at 4:14 PM

That is true, but it puts your argument on the same level. Outrage is uncalled for, especially considering her heritage. Insensitive? maybe. Hateful? not at all.

Spirit of 1776 on October 23, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Kensington:
This was not a spur of the moment comment. It was planned out. Having done a lot of shows, including late night shows (when “Politically Incorrect” was still on ABC), I can tell you that they plan what they’re going to say and repeat it to producers over and over in pre-interviews before the show is taped. It’s all planned out, almost none of it is impromptu or off the cuff. She brought these pics to the show and planned it out and what she was going to say about each one. Do you really think that Don Imus’ comments about some basketball players’ hair (he didn’t even say what their race was) and her comments about Jews’ noses are different? I thought way too much of a big deal was made over his comments, but with hers, they obviously think it’s a big deal, or they wouldn’t have edited it out to save her. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

And by the way, if her movie was so great–it stank (my review here)–she wouldn’t have needed this stuff as props and could have stuck with her movie and her upcoming non-Jewish-cousin-nosed baby. All her recent movies have been bombs, just like this “joke” of hers.

Just ask yourself this: If Ann Coulter said something about Jewish noses, what would be the reaction? Do you think the many left-wing Jewish Hollywood producers who will continue to make Halle Berry movie-bombs would look askance the way they will with Berry? Don’t bet your last matzoh ball on it.

Debbie Schlussel on October 23, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Debbie…

Come on.

Kensington on October 23, 2007 at 4:31 PM

But seriously, Debbie.

No, I simply do not believe that anyone would knowingly allow Halle Berry to go out there and say something so foolish. Yes, I know that they do pre-interviews, but there’s no way that a Halle Berry is subjected to the same kind of scrutiny that some nobody yokel is. The pre-interview with regard to these photos probably went no further than “I’m going to show some funny pictures!” “Okay, Halle, that’s great — nothing that’s going to get the network in trouble, right?” “Of course not!” “Of course not, Halle; you have a great time out there, okay?”

And voila.

Debbie, she’s a dim bulb.

As for the Ann Coulter comparison, the answer to people being hysterical and irrational in response to her every waking breath is not to become hysterical and irrational over…Halle Berry. Or anyone else equally foolish yet benign.

Debbie, she was mortified by it once the hamster in her head started running on its wheel and she was able to glean the “offensiveness” of her dopey comment.

Kensington on October 23, 2007 at 4:32 PM

As far as her being black, her mother is white. So that makes her mix race, not black.. Never mind what she calls herself.

RMR on October 23, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Almost all black Americans are mixed race.

I wonder whether Halle’s mother is Jewish. If so, shouldn’t she get a pass because of that? Regardless, I ain’t mad at her. Also someone said that she look like a white woman dipped in caramel; she does now. She’s had a nose job, ironically; her nose used to be flat and rather African (like mine).

Halle is, however, very beautiful, so much so that if my husband/boyfriend left me for her, I couldn’t even get mad. And I’d take consolation in the fact that she’s so crazy that the old man would come crawling back after the novelty wore off. :-)

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 4:34 PM

I see my question was already answered. Thanks.

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Debbie Schlussel on October 23, 2007 at 4:24 PM

For once, Debbie, I agree with you. The two modifiers “big-nosed” wrt to Jews and “nappy-headed” wrt to blacks are not different. (Interesting that Jews are sometimes also “nappy-headed.”) Imus, however, chose to use the adjective in order to elaborate on the general unattractiveness of the Rutger’s women, which made “nappy-headed” synonymous with “ugly” in Imus’s expression. And then there was the unequivocally offensive epithet “ho” to top things off. Therein lies the difference.

Sincerely,

A nappy-headed not-ho

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 4:52 PM

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 4:34 PM

What difference does that make? Some Nazis had a Jewish parent. Does race make it okay when Blacks make anti-Black comments about each other and use the N-word. That’s the claim. I don’t buy it. If a Black person who looked like Halle Berry made a comment about “African noses” using a distorted caricature-like picture, would that make it okay? Now, I know Ann Coulter’s mistake. She should have found some Jewish relatives like Hillary Clinton did.

Debbie Schlussel on October 23, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Halle’s got a nice be-hind, otherwise, she is a be-hind.

Captain America on October 23, 2007 at 5:26 PM

I don’t buy the idea that observing that someone has certain features common in an ethnic group is automatically anti-[insert ethnic group here]. However, I didn’t see the photo you’re talking about until I clicked on Michelle’s site, so I think you may have a point.

:::flying pig moment:::

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 5:28 PM

IMHO much ado about very little. Dumb move for which she quickly apologized. Can’t blame Jay for the edit – he does have to worry about ratings.
Comparisons to Ann Coulter’s remark are apples and oranges. Viewed in context with her making light of herself during the appearance I think most people would see the difference.
But in today’s world there are always people who look for a piece of the victim pie and some will find it with her remark.

Bradky on October 23, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Honestly…this is not a big deal…she doesn’t have a record of any kind of racism…WE really are getting to bloody sensitive…

Albertanator on October 23, 2007 at 7:06 PM

All right… I’m not Jewish…

But my wife and children are…

And I do not see an intent to inflict pain/stress on anyone…

By the way, do you know why Jews have big noses?….Or do you know how you can be sure that Jesus was Jewish?

I thought so….. :)

darkpixel on October 23, 2007 at 7:58 PM

I love Israelis and one of my best buddies is a Messianic Jew, but I see the humor in it. Lighten up people…

Tim Burton on October 24, 2007 at 12:54 AM