Pete Stark apologizes to Bush on House floor

posted at 11:43 am on October 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

Awesome. Boehner introduced a censure resolution this morning knowing that the Democrats would have to kill it and symbolically line up on Stark’s side, which they did. That was enough for Pelosi, evidently: after he initially refused to apologize, after the fight-fight-fightin’ nutroots very predictably made it a point of pride that he not apologize, the good congressman has duly considered the Speaker’s rebuke from Friday and … apologized.

“I want to apologize to my colleagues, many of whom I have offended,” Stark began. He then apologized to “the president and his family” and “the troops.”

“I hope that with this apology, I return to being as insignificant as I should be,” he concluded though a voice cracking with emotion.

Standby for some pretty vicious rants and important actions alerts from the left, which will be outraged at such a cowardly, gutless capitulation to decency. Here’s the video of Stark’s comments from last week. I’ll update with the video of today’s apology once it becomes available.

Update: Here’s the video.

Comments

“I hope that with this apology, I return to being as insignificant as I have been,”

Fixt.

MadisonConservative on October 23, 2007 at 11:44 AM

FYI – Link to Stark’s comments from last week is broken.

Fisch on October 23, 2007 at 11:45 AM

And is now fixed. Should have given you those 15 seconds, heh.

Fisch on October 23, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I question the timing

Wade on October 23, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Bo Freakin Ho. You want to be insignificant? Resign and go work the phones at Mother Sheenan’s campaign HQ with all the other freaks back in the Bay Area.
You have been taking up space in the House long enough and now you play the victim. Pul-eeez

RobCon on October 23, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Took that pudsucker long enough.

Needed armtwisting from madame poobah to do it too.

What a loser.

Always Right on October 23, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Don’t worry, Lefties, he’ll say something else just as stupid pretty soon.

Tony737 on October 23, 2007 at 11:51 AM

After those vile remarks, I’m sorry just doesn’t cut it.

Resign, you worthless pile of donkey manure.

fogw on October 23, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Regrettably, If W runs true to form, he will display his usual class about such things…. and NOT tell that demented old SOB just where to stick his “apology”.

paragon27x on October 23, 2007 at 11:53 AM

“I return to being as insignificant as I should be”

“Oh woe is me!” — Freaking crybaby. What you should be is out of a job.

infidel4life on October 23, 2007 at 11:54 AM

We ARE winning…..

jake-the-goose on October 23, 2007 at 11:55 AM

I wonder if Pelosi got him to apologise by arranging a date with Whoopi for him? Palomino, baby!

windbag on October 23, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Needed armtwisting from madame poobah to do it too.

Always Right on October 23, 2007 at 11:50 AM

I hate to give Pelosi credit, but it’s due. Or course, she knows she’ll get no cooperation from the GOP on anything unless she arm-twisted an apology out of Stark.

She’s learning too…that blatant hypocrisy costs elections.

JetBoy on October 23, 2007 at 11:55 AM

BTW, I wonder if Pelosi is having fun policing all the spoiled little brats in her sandbox.

infidel4life on October 23, 2007 at 11:56 AM

I’m also thinking that his office got hundreds of emails, phone calls, and letters expressing disgust with what he said. I wrote his office and called what he said “classless, childish rhetoric”, which was disrespectful to both the President and to the men and women in the Military.

He probably got pressure from all sorts of people to apologize for his remarks. Because he was wrong and childish.

mjk on October 23, 2007 at 11:57 AM

I return to being as insignificant as I should be

One down, several hundred democrat Representatives and Senators to go…..

Mallard T. Drake on October 23, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Still I’m surprised.

Buzzy on October 23, 2007 at 11:59 AM

I think Stark giggles like a school girl while molesting collies and some poodles and uses the graves of our servicemen as an outhouse.

oh wait-

I want to apologize to my fellow commentors, many of whom I have offended and to Stark and his family and the troops.

So everything’s ok now, right?

trubble on October 23, 2007 at 11:59 AM

starkie can kiss my butt…apology not accepted…a-hole…

areseaoh on October 23, 2007 at 11:59 AM

trubble on October 23, 2007 at 11:59 AM

As long as you’re sorry I’m cool with your previous comments. In fact, AP may have a leadership position coming open…

sunny on October 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Took that pudsucker long enough.

He had to wait for the poll results before deciding what to do.

taznar on October 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM

fight-fight-fightin’ nutroots

hee hee. The fight’s on in the comments at the mslsd link.

I want to apologize first of all to my colleagues, many of whom I have offended, to the president, his family

Sounds good, but

to the troops that may have found (offense) in my remarks

???

RushBaby on October 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Assuming he means it, this is pretty good, and a lot more self-deprecating than I would have expected. Certainly it’s a lot better than one of those weasely “I’m sorry if you’re too dumb to see how brilliant and correct I am” approaches so often favored on the left.

fight-fight-fightin’ nutroots

Also, the idea of fightin’ fightin’ nutroots cracks me up every time.

Kensington on October 23, 2007 at 12:09 PM

What a tool…Can we question is patiotism now? How about his manhood or self professed lack of it

“…I return to being as insignificant as I should be…”

Grow some stones….

jimwesty on October 23, 2007 at 12:10 PM

“voice cracking with emotion”…

Yeah…. Kinda like Slick Willie at Ron Brown’s Funeral.

heh.

paragon27x on October 23, 2007 at 12:10 PM

He’s scum. Degree from MIT, service in the 50s in the Air Force, mba from Berkeley, I think, founded a bank and became a 9-figure millionaire, 18 or so elections from the nutroots territory of Berkeley.

His bio says Vietnam was the single event that made him insane. Apparently the functional parts of his brain were disabled way back in the 1960s…

Jaibones on October 23, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Does anyone actually discuss legislation on the House floor anymore?

saint kansas on October 23, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Does anyone actually discuss legislation on the House floor anymore?

saint kansas on October 23, 2007 at 12:14 PM

The less they do, the better.

RushBaby on October 23, 2007 at 12:18 PM

The less they do, the better.

RushBaby on October 23, 2007 at 12:18 PM

Heh, exactly. Long may that be the case.

FireFly on October 23, 2007 at 12:22 PM

RushBaby on October 23, 2007 at 12:18 PM

BINGO!!!

paragon27x on October 23, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Does anyone actually discuss legislation on the House floor anymore?

saint kansas on October 23, 2007 at 12:14 PM

EXACTLY what I was thinking!!!

bernzright777 on October 23, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Our friend Ian has the video over at Breitbart.tv, and it is incredibly weak.

steveegg on October 23, 2007 at 12:28 PM

He’s scum. Degree from MIT, service in the 50s in the Air Force,

Jaibones on October 23, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Agreed he’s scum, just curious why you would throw in “service in the 50′s in the Air Force” in the same sentence?

bernzright777 on October 23, 2007 at 12:34 PM

now, they should censure Ron Paul for claiming Bush was “Deterimed to impose martial law” and would do so through devious means.

jp on October 23, 2007 at 12:35 PM

A sincere apology?? I doubt it since the only apologies you get from liberals have the ‘if you were offended’ qualifier.

docdave on October 23, 2007 at 12:41 PM

In 1963, Stark founded Security National Bank, a small bank in Walnut Creek. Within 10 years it grew to a $100 million company with branches across the East Bay.

It always amazes me that a lot of these rich f**ks, like Stark, make their money with the freedom this great nation bestows upon its citizens, and then when they get into power they do everything they can to destroy the freedoms they already enjoyed. Does he get the irony?????

Andy in Agoura Hills on October 23, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Ok, he didn’t have to apologize for that, big baby.

4shoes on October 23, 2007 at 1:01 PM

I have to disagree with the majority of commentators here. I consider honest, sincere apologies to be accepted at any time. From what I see, these appear to be of that type.

“Apology accepted, Rep. Stark,” (Darth Vader voice)

otcconan on October 23, 2007 at 1:01 PM

To be insignificant, that is.

4shoes on October 23, 2007 at 1:02 PM

“Apology accepted, Rep. Stark,” (Darth Vader voice)

otcconan on October 23, 2007 at 1:01 PM

You can’t unring a bell. If he was sincere, he’d resign immediately.

Andy in Agoura Hills on October 23, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Being a liberal nutcase means never having to say sorry.

Kini on October 23, 2007 at 1:09 PM

A sincere apology requires three elements: I’m sorry, I was wrong, and please forgive me.

windbag on October 23, 2007 at 1:09 PM

One can only hope.

drjohn on October 23, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Reminds me of my visit to the woodshed to meet the Board of Education.

driller on October 23, 2007 at 1:32 PM

How whacked out are the nutroots, when Pelosi is the arbiter of decency?

psrch on October 23, 2007 at 1:42 PM

No doubt, MediaMatters(not!) has misreported/misstated this as more “truth to power” defiance of the evil BushChimpHaliburtonMcHitler administration.

Or more likely, pretended the apology never happened.

georgej on October 23, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Wow, that video is actually embarrassing, it looks like Pelosi has a strangle hold on his manhood.

Complete7 on October 23, 2007 at 1:52 PM

You can’t unring a bell. If he was sincere, he’d resign immediately.

ohhh…you didn’t get the Star Wars reference…sorry.

otcconan on October 23, 2007 at 1:57 PM

“Reminds me of my visit to the woodshed to meet the Board of Education.”

When I was a kid, my parents bought me a “board of education” paddle. It was a souvenier from a state park gift shop, with a cartoon of a child getting spanked with it by a male figure. Truth be told, it was, only rarely used on me. When my kids were little, they discovered it among my late mother’s effects. I placed it in a breakfront in our living room as a frequently referred to “moral deterrent.”

It worked until it “went into hiding” as they say. Months later I found the remmenants of the “spanking stick” (their term for it) which one or more of my little angels had essentially broken into pieces, no doubt in some sort of solemn, but gleeful, ceremony.

Considering that it was a genuine piece of 50′s memorabilia, and worth a few bucks as such in the pristine condition that *moi* left it (no “cheek marks”), I occassionally and jokingly remind them that they destroyed *THEIR* inheritance — and the opportunity to intimidate their kids when they have them.

It always falls on deaf ears….They’re much more interested in the antiques and the paintings.

georgej on October 23, 2007 at 2:01 PM

georgej- You must have been a better kid in the 50′s than me. I well remember the “Board”, the willow switch, and occasionally the belt if I really screwed up. I think Pelosi must have used all three on that poor excuse the way he was whimpering. I can just imagine what a DI at Quantico would have done with him. Ah, the memories!

driller on October 23, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Agreed he’s scum, just curious why you would throw in “service in the 50’s in the Air Force” in the same sentence?

bernzright777 on October 23, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Different sentence; different thought. I was trying to express my astonishment at how a guy who did everything right could turn into such a total idiot.

Jaibones on October 23, 2007 at 3:06 PM

First Congressional lipsync.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on October 23, 2007 at 3:29 PM

ohhh…you didn’t get the Star Wars reference…sorry.

otcconan on October 23, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Here’s a clip to help out the Faithless. Not the one I was looking for, but should help none the less.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 23, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Sorry, but I’m a cynic and here’s what I think:

The dem’s internal polls are looking really, really bad. President Bush has a higher approval rating than the dem Congress does — and that’s WITH the main stream media acting as their daily cheerleaders. Hillary’s pollster says 1 in 4 Repub women will vote for her, and the next day Zogby announces that not only do 83% of Repub women say they will NEVER vote for her, 50% of ALL voters say they never will, an increase from previous polls. Nevada is fed up with Dusty Harry. The dems in the House are having extreme buyer’s remorse over their wacky speaker. The ugly truth of the modern democrat party is getting through to “the people,” and Pelosi, et al, are scared as hell. The Stark raving mad comments are going to turn up on one campaign ad after another, and the dems hope to soften the blow by saying “That’s not fair; he apologized, after all.”

The dems used to have a lunatic fringe problem. Now, the lunatic fringe is their center and it’s getting harder and harder to conceal it.

Rational Thought on October 23, 2007 at 3:58 PM

So what. He’s shamed into it and whines out an apology.

He can stick it where the sun don’t shine.

Texyank on October 23, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Well seems Nutroots dont mind the sexond admendment if they can use it to kill Conservative women

From Daily Kos BBS about Pete stark

go buy and learn to use a gun first! (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:leftynyc

I’m serious! If all progressives went out and exercised their 2nd amendment rights then we’d get taken more seriously.

Infiltrate the NRA. Go to target practice and shoot at Anne Coutler and Micheal Malken targets. See how they like that!

by Unbozo on Tue Oct 23, 2007 at 11:46:53 AM PDT

William Amos on October 23, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Stark got the part about his being insignificant right.

I posted a reply to the MSNBC page about it but I have my doubts about its getting past moderation.

Ryan Gandy on October 23, 2007 at 4:37 PM

I was almost ready to say, O.K. apology accepted you twit, but then I read up on this guy and it turns out he’s the tool of the decade. check him out berating a Staff Sgt. in the national guard for the arrogance of faxing him a letter disapproving a recent vote Stark had made. How dare the Hoi polloi argue with their betters…

jojostan on October 23, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Well whaddaya know! It actually got accepted.

Looks like they’re being consistent in the non-enforcement of their rules. Yay.

Ryan Gandy on October 23, 2007 at 4:43 PM

From Daily Kos BBS about Pete stark

go buy and learn to use a gun first! (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:leftynyc

by Unbozo on Tue Oct 23, 2007 at 11:46:53 AM PDT
William Amos on October 23, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Dang.. Looks like kos is really cracking up.

Texyank on October 23, 2007 at 5:43 PM

From Daily Kos BBS about Pete stark

go buy and learn to use a gun first! (1+ / 0-)
Recommended by:leftynyc

by Unbozo on Tue Oct 23, 2007 at 11:46:53 AM PDT
William Amos on October 23, 2007 at 4:36 PM

Dang.. Looks like kos is really cracking up.

Sorry William Amos. Didn’t mean to put you in that Quote.

Texyank on October 23, 2007 at 5:47 PM

I will accept your apology on one condition. Don’t do it again. Nothing like that should be coming out of a United States Representative, on the floor of the House. Go ahead and mutter it into your beer at night, or say it to yourself in the shower – just not like you did.

major john on October 23, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Now he should apologize for being a coward and liar, as well.

By resigning.

Loathesome.

profitsbeard on October 23, 2007 at 6:03 PM

I have no sympathy for this SOB. He still needs to resign.

From the Kos link someone posted above.. and not just from a comment like they quoted, this is from the actual nutty post:

I really am at wit’s end here. Every single time we speak truth, from Durbin’s comparing Abu Graib to torture camps, to Stark’s point about this war being for Dubya’s sole benefit (since it clearly isnt in the national interest of the country), we get punched in the face by the jackals on the right and in the complicit traditional media, and STILL we dont learn the lesson.

K, couple things… Wit’s end? I believe you guys crossed that bridge a LONG time ago. Your “wit” is a pea in the rear view mirror. Next, how self parodying and stupid “every single time we speak truth”. Lol. And yes, clearly the traditional media forced the hand of the Dems here. If it wasn’t already apparent to everyone, these Kos kids are lunatics.

RightWinged on October 23, 2007 at 6:17 PM

I called his home office in Calif. the first day of this story, gave my complaint, and the receptionist said the phone was “ringing off the hook.”

He is a sad example of what the Calif. electorate produces.

fred5678 on October 23, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Does anyone actually discuss legislation on the House floor anymore?

saint kansas on October 23, 2007 at 12:14 PM
Yes but only how to circumvent our current laws.

SIJ6141 on October 23, 2007 at 6:57 PM

jojostan on October 23, 2007 at 4:39 PM
Thanks for the link. How can anybody think the dim bulb really apologised ?

SIJ6141 on October 23, 2007 at 7:13 PM

jojostan on October 23, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Thanks for the link jojostan.

You know, normally I’d just type P.O.S. and move on down the favorites list. But this ‘special person’ needs more attention than that and we’re all grown up here anyway. So here’s to you Congressman Pete Stark… you Piece Of Shit.

Griz on October 23, 2007 at 8:35 PM

From Daily Kos BBS about Pete stark

Don’t think I’ve heard of the SEXOND amendment before. But it sure sounds interesting! Is it a principle of condom law?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on October 23, 2007 at 11:37 PM