Katrina vs the San Diego fires: Compare and contrast

posted at 1:03 pm on October 23, 2007 by Bryan

Remember the fiasco that was NOLA after Katrina struck? The mayor running around calling for buses when he knew he had dozens of them within a mile of the Superdome? The police chief of a partially ghost police force spreading rumors of rapes and murders in the convention center and the dome that turned out to be unfounded? The state governor blocking Red Cross aid from entering the city while conferring with Clintonistas on how to politicize the whole deal?

California is dealing with an immense catastrophe right now. It’s not on the scale of Katrina and probably won’t get there, but it is a sizable disaster area. It’s the largest evacuation in state history. Are Californians running around blaming the world for the natural disaster and descending into madness?

Nope.

Like Hurricane Katrina evacuees two years earlier in New Orleans, thousands of people rousted by natural disaster fled to the NFL stadium here, waiting out the calamity and worrying about their homes.

The similarities ended there, as an almost festive atmosphere reigned at Qualcomm Stadium.

Bands belted out rock ‘n’ roll, lavish buffets served gourmet entrees, and massage therapists helped relieve the stress for those forced to flee their homes because of wildfires.

“The people are happy. They have everything here,” Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared Monday night after his second Qualcomm tour.

That quote has a bread and circuses quality about it, but it does seem that the governator is handling the situation well, and so are the people who’ve crowded into the stadium.

At Qualcomm, thousands of tents, many set up by relief organizations, provided temporary roofs, while hundreds of people slept on open-air cots. Some elderly evacuees were housed in stadium club boxes.

Aggressive efforts by disaster-response officials to bring supplies helped ensure civility. A heavy police contingent and National Guard troops with automatic weapons stood by just in case.

The New Orleans evacuees had dragged themselves through floodwaters to get to the Louisiana Superdome in 2005, and once there endured horrific conditions without food, sanitation or law enforcement.

The comparison isn’t entirely fair, since much of Katrina’s disaster zone was unreachable and that disaster unfolded so slowly that its full extent wasn’t really grasped immediately. But the difference between responses then and now seems to come down to leadership, starting at the local and state level and then up to the federal level.

In other words, while Bobby Jindal will probably make a great governor for Louisiana, there’s a very good reason that Kathleen Blanco didn’t run for another term. She would have lost, because she failed when her state needed her the most.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I know Fat Al and his legions of bobble heads are going to blame this on “man-made global warming” sooner or later.

I just KNOW it.

Ryan Gandy on October 23, 2007 at 4:12 PM

The Governator mentioned global warming during his TV interview on NBC this morning. I wasn’t surprised at all, except it wasn’t in his first sentence.

fred5678 on October 23, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Did all your neighbors leave? Does anyone know where you are?

RushBaby on October 23, 2007 at 6:21 PM

About 90% of my neighbor have evacuated, and yes I have family who know where I am. One of my brothers is getting evacuated for the second time, he was in Santa Ysabel and got evacuated to Julian, now they are evacuating him from Julian to Borrego.

doriangrey on October 23, 2007 at 6:27 PM

fred5678 on October 23, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Yeah I heard that. I’ve been in the county since 1962, and this is pretty common. We’re classified as a semi-arid climate, which is a nick above a desert. Damn right it gets warm.

PatrickS on October 23, 2007 at 6:27 PM

doriangrey on October 23, 2007 at 6:27 PM

If there’s anything you need, email me.

baldilocks-at-sbcglobal-dot-net

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM

If there’s anything you need, email me.

baldilocks-at-sbcglobal-dot-net

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Thanks dear…..

doriangrey on October 23, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Dorian, check in with LGF. People are asking about you.

BDavis on October 23, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Bryan,

I have prepared myself to hear blame laid upon the Neocons, President Bush, the Bush administration, the Republicans in California, Conservatives, the rich, or “the wealthy,” Christians, God, Jesus, especially Evangelical Christians, Jews, and a host of the usual suspects who are often paraded about in order to manifest political posturing to and for accusations to be launched, putting the blame and burden on someone.

If it does occur, I won’t be surprised. I’ll have expected it.

William

William2006 on October 23, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Entelechy’s house is covered in half an inch of ash but other than that, OK.

RushBaby on October 23, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Dorian, check in with LGF. People are asking about you.

BDavis on October 23, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Just checking in there right now, thanks…

doriangrey on October 23, 2007 at 6:52 PM

dorian’s over at LGF, so he’s still with us.

Bad Candy on October 23, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Oh, now he’s here!

Bad Candy on October 23, 2007 at 6:55 PM

I have about 5 gallons on hand and the liqueur story across the street has a pretty good supply of bottled water if it comes down to that.

doriangrey on October 23, 2007 at 6:16 PM

That’s not going to last long. You have our prayers for a safe outcome.

pedestrian on October 23, 2007 at 6:55 PM

photos

h/t Lizard “scaryfast”

RushBaby on October 23, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Wrong – Barbara Boxer stood on her Dopebox today and blamed the fires on Bush. After all if the National Guard wasn’t deployed in Iraq………….. Hey Barbara – you are old enough to remember – “Only YOU can prevent Forest Fires” Smokey the Bear!!!! LMAO!

iam7545 on October 23, 2007 at 7:15 PM

I’m reporting from Scripps Ranch. We’ve been allowed to return. The fires stayed to the north. Some of my friends have lost their homes in the Rancho Bernardo and Del Dios areas. The air is awful, we’ll have to stay inside and keep the AC running.

I think a very important thing to note is that when we (the neighborhood) were told to evacuate, we did. We didn’t wait until someone came to help. The were lines miles and miles long trying to get to a freeway, but mostly everyone was polite and resigned to make the best of it. A lot of us drove for hours to find a hotel.

Thanks for all of you well wishes and prayers,
FatOldGuy

Fogpig on October 23, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Oh and signonsandiego is a great place to follow the news. Also, you can live stream from kfmb am 760

-FatOldGuy

Fogpig on October 23, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Fogpig on October 23, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Glad you’re OK and so sorry to hear about your friends. Thanks for reporting.

RushBaby on October 23, 2007 at 7:40 PM

When is FNC going to send Shep and Geraldo in to hold up children and cry, and scream “let them go!” in to the camera?

BTW, about a half hour ago, Shep had the balls to say (slight paraphrase) “Just like in 2 and 3 days after Katrina at the Superdome, there’s such organization and heroics going on, etc. etc.”….

Shep went on for a few minutes, going off about how much of a mirror image this is to what happened at the Superdome… really? REALLY!? I seem to recall you crying on national TV in New Orleans, throwing a fit, losing your objectivity and adding to the “bodies piling up” hype.

RightWinged on October 23, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Turned the tv on, Fox had never ending commercials, switched to CNN, Wolf Blitzer, 1 hour from now, they going to discus global warming with their science guy. I yelling at the tv, What does this have to do with Global Warming. Was it Global Warming before man moved there and had the winds?

StuLongIsland on October 23, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Alright, you Cali folks stay safe, our prayers are with you.

Wish we could send you our rain in the Northeast.

Bad Candy on October 23, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Also, you can live stream from kfmb am 760

-FatOldGuy

Fogpig on October 23, 2007 at 7:39 PM

And KFI 640 in L.A.

infidel4life on October 23, 2007 at 8:09 PM

Keep your head low and your a$$ wet dorian, as stated before in this thread buddy, let us all know if you need anything.

Prayers.

conservnut on October 23, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Prayers.

conservnut on October 23, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Things are actually looking pretty good around here at the moment. Not for the rest of the county yet, but where I am has very much improved.

doriangrey on October 23, 2007 at 11:12 PM

dorian: i so look forward to reading what you write. i’m not real good at writing, but you tend to reflect my thoughts. PLEASE take good care of yourself and get the heck out if this is a threat. God bless. i’m in northern ca and paying very close attention.

mimi1220 on October 23, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Great to hear you’re doing good there, dorian….it’s eerily calm down here as well….

PatrickS on October 23, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Well cr@p…………The rumors floating around now are that they might cut electricity to Ramona and funnel it to the firefighters, that would knock me off the internet……..No fires here right now, so I don’t seem to be in any danger but it’s gonna suck without electricity or my internet connection.

doriangrey on October 23, 2007 at 11:26 PM

I know it’s not much consolation, but if they do cut your power it will probably just be a temporary thing.

infidel4life on October 23, 2007 at 11:52 PM

infidel4life on October 23, 2007 at 11:52 PM

I certainly hope you are right, I already don’t have any water and no way to leave.

doriangrey on October 23, 2007 at 11:56 PM

I dunno if you’re around dorian, but someone at LGF is saying Ramona was ordered to be evacuated.

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 12:36 AM

Yup, saw that. Evacuation was ordered Sunday night, couldn’t get out because of car problems, have no way to evacuate.

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 12:38 AM

Well they’re saying you need to get out, if the cops find you you could get arrested they’re worried about looters and the fire, they’re saying you need to try and contact the authorities. They’re saying that Ramona isn’t safe, and you need to get ahold of authorities and try and get out, try and email the police if the phones are dead.

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 12:57 AM

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 12:38 AM

Keep us posted.

But bail if you must.

soundingboard on October 24, 2007 at 1:05 AM

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Ignore my post.

Take heed of this one.

soundingboard on October 24, 2007 at 1:07 AM

He got the message at LGF.

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Dorian, please don’t risk your safety and your life. All other isn’t important.

Fellow San Diegans and all other Californians living through this catastrophe, the sky will be blue again, and good and lesser people will still be around. My thoughts are with all of you, as I live through it second by second.

RushBaby, Pablo, and all who care about and pray/think about Californians going through this agony, thank you. Your humanity and concern are very much appreciated. In need one finds out so much, about self and others, and especially who the real human beings are.

The Glenn Beck thread is shameful from the perspective of a few commenters. Professor, I’d be honored to be one of your friends in San Diego.

Not to dramatize things too much, but here is reality – 6 homes were lost in my immediate neighborhood and an entire hill went up in flames, with one row of homes between such hill and house. If the winds would have shifed back from West to East just for seconds/minutes today, I’d be homeless. As Dorian said, things are quiet now, but anything can still pick up and happen, as the Santa Ana condidion is not over until possibly Thursday. Still, for now, we’re the lucky ones, dorian and I, as many have lost all.

I’m not even at home. Business took me to a very liberal place last Sunday. Today, when at the hospital I teach all week, I mentioned about the state of Calif. being on top of it, I got this answer “of course, compared to New Orleans which is poor, San Diego is rich and you get all the help from Bush right away”. I didn’t even answer. Life this week is too complicated to contemplate politics.

Thank you all who have it in you to be decent and caring. Much appreciated,

Entelechy on October 24, 2007 at 1:19 AM

I just spoke with a Sheriff, the electricity isn’t going to be shut off after all, and I should have water back by around 1am.

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 1:40 AM

Boil that water, and be sure to save some.

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 1:45 AM

Boil that water, and be sure to save some.

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 1:45 AM

I have bottled water for drinking, but is will be nice to be able to flush the toilet without taking a 5 gallon sparklets bottle down to the jacuzzi every time.

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 1:47 AM

Entelechy on October 24, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Good to see you.

baldilocks on October 24, 2007 at 2:02 AM

Alright, good night guys, its late on the eastside. Stay safe dorian.

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 2:06 AM

baldilocks, thank you. It is very trying, but also sobering from many perspectives.

I noticed that you ‘retired’ from blogging, for now. Can’t wait for your book, seriously. I love/respect you a lot,

Entelechy on October 24, 2007 at 2:22 AM

I didn’t make the connection to my friends here that live in San Diego and the fires. I am ashamed. I’m glad to here that all is as well as can be expected. Be safe friends and if there is anything I can do, please ask.

csdeven on October 24, 2007 at 2:36 AM

csdeven, not to worry. Thank you for your good thoughts.

Entelechy on October 24, 2007 at 2:41 AM

Our thoughts and prayers go to the people in Southern California right now.

ColtsFan on October 24, 2007 at 3:45 AM

Hey dorian, Entelechy and our other friends out west, how are you holding up this morning?

conservnut on October 24, 2007 at 6:52 AM

One of the many reasons I left Southern California back in 2002. It’s like living near a live lava floe.

Coronagold on October 24, 2007 at 7:14 AM

Whaaaaat? You mean their not eating their dead after only 4 days at qualcomm? Then how are we going to impeach Bush because his policies didn’t prevent the annual santana winds? Maybe we can hire Nagin to consult and turn this into an even worse disaster.

Dadzilla on October 24, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Of course, all of the race baiting cronies who were in New Orleans will point out that since these people are (mostly) Caucasian, it’s racist how they are being treated better.

New Orleans had TWO DAYS notice of an apporaching storm. Fire and winds are unpredictable. These people in Cali have 5-10 minutes to evacuate.

madmonkphotog on October 24, 2007 at 11:10 AM

doriangray
You still there? I’m out in the estates. Have you heard when the water will come back on? Also had three officers stop by last night, full beards. Odd, they didn’t know the water was off.

dingbat on October 24, 2007 at 11:40 AM

New Orleans had more than a week’s notice of an approaching storm. More than 72 hours before landfall, the President contacted both the Governor’s and NOLA Mayor’s offices recommending fullscale evacuations and that they accept FEMA guidance. Both were refused. I mean, who does that fool in Washington think he is, telling the people of Louisiana what to do? They didn’t even vote for him, why should they listen to him? This storm will turn, they all do….

As to comparisons with the fires here in SD County, some are fair and some are not. The main point Bryan is making is completely valid, that the mindset of the citizenry and the local authorities is one of taking things in hand, not waiting the next higher level of government to babysit them.

The scene at Qualcomm stadium Monday from midday to late evening was simply remarkable. The line of cars driving in to drop off donated goods was more than twice as long as the line of evacuees. Best estimates are that around 11,000 people stayed there overnight Monday, up to 14,000 Tuesday. By 9PM Monday, the news reports were telling people to STOP bringing food to the stadium, that they had more than enough and would put out word when more would be wanted.

I received no fewer than twenty calls/textmessages from church members, friends and co-workers offering room if we had to evacuate, because they heard the name of my area given as in danger. Being on the furthest NW edge of that area, we were never in trouble, and have offered room to others who lived closer to the fireline.

Part of it is the density of military population here, people who are trained to face harm and deal with it rather than hope someone else will. Part of it is the more conservative worldview, that of individualism and self-reliance. Part of it is that, unlike Louisiana, we aren’t indoctrinated with a victim/entitlement mentality.

Mayor Sanders, the mayors of the outer cities, Congressman Hunter, and Governor Schwarznegger have done everything they can to enable and assist the services involved in fighting these fires. There have been glitches in communication and differences in procedural policy, but nothing compared to 2003 when far too many acres, far too many homes, burned due to lack of coordination.

In response to anyone who says the difference here is that most of the people are “caucasian”, you haven’t lived in San Diego County lately.

Freelancer on October 24, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Freelancer on October 24, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Superb contribution. I’ll venture a prediction that the insurance aftermath will be night and day as well.

RushBaby on October 24, 2007 at 1:48 PM

doriangray

dingbat on October 24, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Yea, I’m still here. No idea when the water is suppose to be back on. Plus the rumor that they are planning to shut the electricity off in a couple of hours is floating around again.

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Good to hear from you. Hope you are safe. Nice to know others are out there too. I heard Stater Bros might be open? Do you know?

dingbat on October 24, 2007 at 2:24 PM

doriangray

A Water District guy just drove by. Said we’ll have water in a day or two and that downtown Ramona was open for business. Lots of people. guess I’ll come out of my bunker now.

dingbat on October 24, 2007 at 2:45 PM

dingbat on October 24, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Sorry I don’t know, while Stater Bros is only a couple of block away I just haven’t been further than the post office since Sunday night.

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 2:57 PM

So where are Boxer and Feinstein while their state burns?!? Playing partisan politics in DC when they should be at home helping out, that’s where.

davenp35 on October 24, 2007 at 3:29 PM

I went back, this morning, to re-read Tribes by Bill Whittle.

He, pretty much, predicted the stark differences in the scenario at Qualcomm, and the one at the Superdome, within the first dozen paragraphs.

franksalterego on October 24, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Reported not long ago on a loal channel here…people down at the stadium evac center noticed the same vehicles showing up for the third day in a row to load up and haul off donated supplies. The first few trips it was presumed they were taking supplies to another evac center. These people were questioned, a tussle started, then SDPD got involved. Turns out these guys were being paid to steal these goods for a buyer elsewhere. The thieves were “undocumented persons.” SDPD turned them over to Immigration.

PatrickS on October 24, 2007 at 4:08 PM

dingbat on October 24, 2007 at 2:45 PM

I just got a call from the Ramona water district. The new pumps are in place and they are recharging the system. they said it was important to shut off any no0n-emergency water use so that they can refill the water towers, looks like we ought to have water again in an hour or two.

davenp35 on October 24, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Boxer is here in San Diego, and has been for 2 days.

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Dorian! Everything good? I emailed you. Dug up an old comment you made at doubleplusundead.

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Yes, everything is going better than expected. I have been pretty sure for most of the day that the only reason that they have not allowed Ramona Resident to return yet is…the lack of water. As I posted to dingbat, the Ramona water district called and said they were recharging the water system. Moreover KUSI has been broadcasting for the last couple of hours that FEMA is setting up an office about 1 mile from my place that is scheduled to be open for business tomorrow.

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Did you get my email?

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Oops, got it!

Bad Candy on October 24, 2007 at 10:33 PM

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 10:29 PM

So its pretty quiet and stinky up there now?

PatrickS on October 24, 2007 at 10:39 PM

So its pretty quiet and stinky up there now?

PatrickS on October 24, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Quite yes, not really stinky. Not much in the way of smoke since Tuesday. Apparently there were quite a few houses on the edge of town that burned down. A place called Oak Grove Community (at least I believe thats what its called) lost 54 out of the 119 houses in it. There are a couple of other places like it on the outskirts of town that did not do well, but the majority of town is safe and fire free.

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 11:21 PM

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 11:21 PM

Well I’m glad to see that you’re coming through this ok, my friend.

PatrickS on October 24, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Well I’m glad to see that you’re coming through this ok, my friend.

PatrickS on October 24, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Please let me make this perfectly clear to you and the other “Hotheads” just how much I appreciate you guys being here for me to communicate with. I know that there are a few people who are kind of disturbed that there wasn’t actually something you could do for me, let me say this, just by being here to talk with me you were doing a great deal. Thanks everybody…

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 11:41 PM

doriangrey on October 24, 2007 at 11:41 PM

NOT a prob….I was pretty nervous down here in San Marcos, but I knew you were in a much more precarious situation there….

PatrickS on October 24, 2007 at 11:46 PM

PatrickS on October 24, 2007 at 11:46 PM

I appreciate your concern, but don’t belittle your own situation. Having personally experienced 2 of these firestorms myself I can only say there is simply no way to understate just how dangerous they can be.

As you can imagine I have been following the news, and I know that San Marcos was rather substantially threatened. I understand that Del Dios Highway and Rancho Santa Fe/Fairbanks Ranch took a pretty good hit.

As I believe I once told you I used to live in San Marcos, right off Barham Dr. by the Woodland Parkway exit. Almost across the street from where CSUSM now is. So I have a pretty good idea of the threat that was facing you.

doriangrey on October 25, 2007 at 12:40 AM

Part of it is that, unlike parts of Louisiana, we aren’t indoctrinated with a victim/entitlement mentality.

Sorry. But some of us coon-asses are pretty self sufficient.

soundingboard on October 25, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Sorry. But some of us coon-asses are pretty self sufficient.

soundingboard on October 25, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Hey………I would be honored to spend time drinking beer and shooting whatever with some of you “coon-asses” And that in the name of god almighty is a stone cold fact. Anyone who judges an entire state by what the MSM broadcasts seriously needs to check and see if the pharmacist gave them the right meds.

I don’t think Freelancer meant to disparage you or anyone specific in Louisiana, more likely just venting a general since of frustration with the manner Gov. Kathleen Blanco and Mayor Ray Nagin handled hurricane Katrina.

doriangrey on October 25, 2007 at 1:51 AM

soundingboard on October 25, 2007 at 1:16 AM

Oh and just as a clarification, I was in Key West in 1969 for Hurricane Camille having survived a Cat 5 hurricane I do know how devastating a hurricane can be. I have also now survived two of California’s Santa Ana driven firestorms(2003 Cedars fire and 2007 witch Creek fire). Neither one is anything anyone in their right mind would voluntarily subject themselves to. That said my previous comments still stand……

doriangrey on October 25, 2007 at 2:01 AM

doriangrey, patricks, freelancer and all San Diegan hotairheads who’re so inclined, after the fires calm down, let’s consider meeting ahead of the political bash. It might be good to get some of this out of the system with a good group of folks. Just a thought for now. Still more to overcome for the time being. Thanks for the info and the good words dorian. I read every word you and others commented, as I have to be away from home this week, while blazes were extremely close. Were it not for this forum it w/b much harder because the news is hard to take in from TV only. Be tough, be good, be thankful – I am for all of you and our good friends at HA.

Entelechy on October 25, 2007 at 2:26 AM

Entelechy on October 25, 2007 at 2:26 AM

I like that idea quite a bit. However, if we work something out I must (shameless self plug here) strongly suggest that everyone listen to a couple of my songs, wouldn’t want any of you good people getting the wrong idea of who you might be meeting…dont cha know…

doriangrey on October 25, 2007 at 2:32 AM

Heh, dorian, it’s not like we’ve not heard or seen ya before :) Seriously, you could sing to us then too, live. I’ll contact you after the fires to organize. Be well and keep us informed.

Entelechy on October 25, 2007 at 2:48 AM

Entelechy on October 25, 2007 at 2:48 AM

Hey the Prez just touched down in Escondido and is speeding like a bat out of hell towards Rancho Bernardo…

doriangrey on October 25, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Sorry. But some of us coon-asses are pretty self sufficient.

soundingboard on October 25, 2007 at 1:16 AM
————————————————————

doriangrey on October 25, 2007 at 1:51 AM

Well, the drink would be Pat O’s Hurricanes.

The shooting would be done with firearms.
[we check visitors for weapons when they arrive. If they don't have one, we issue 'em.]

Targets would be deer, turkey, dove, duck, wild hogs, well too many to list here.

Let’s just say, lotsa folks down here use a bullet before a knife and fork.

Rule with food is. You can eat anything from the swamp, that don’t eat you first.

Other than that, alas…that’s about the only rule that does seem to apply in any form or fashion.

I don’t believe Freelancer meant to paint with so broad a brush. And frankly, there is a picture to be painted. And it ain’t altogether pretty.

Still, it’s drawn from a rich pallette.

And you’re correct in your assessment of Kathleen “what do I do? I’m drawing a” Blanco

And C.Ray “Empty Noggin” Nagin.

The former’s incompetence affected me. Negatively.

The latter’s didn’t affect me directly. It did affect many friends and family. Negatively.

Fortunately, my family, and most of my local friends and neighbors were prepared.

For the storm. Not for the political idiocy that followed.

OK…we all knew it could be bad, but even the most cynical and pessimistic among us never dreamed of the depths of incompentency that were reached.

But enough rehash of history.
Glad to see you safe and hopefully past the worst.

Same goes to the other Hotheads in the danger zone. (Wonder’s about the appropriateness of the term “Hothead’ considering the situation. ;->)

soundingboard on October 26, 2007 at 3:36 AM