Hillary takes a shot at southerners? Update: Mississippi GOP responds

posted at 4:45 pm on October 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

Seems like it but I’m honestly not sure, and even if she did, it probably won’t stick thanks to Bubba’s impeccable Arkansas pedigree.

But just in case there’s any ore to be had in this lode, let’s mine.

“I was shocked when I learned Iowa and Mississippi have never elected a woman governor, senator or member of Congress,” she said. “There has got to be something at work here…

“I think Iowa poses a special burden, or a special obstacle to me because when you look at the numbers, how can Iowa be ranked with Mississippi? That’s not what I see. That’s not the quality. That’s not the communitarianism, that’s not the openness I see in Iowa.”

Doesn’t that sound like she’s saying she expects Mississippi to be backward but not Iowa?

I asked Clinton campaign spokesman Phil Singer about this. His response: “Clearly, she was referring to the historical fact that a woman has never been elected Governor or to the House or Senate from those states.”

Uh…right.

That vaguely ominous line about how there must be “something at work here” is also rich with possibilities. Follow ABC’s link to the source column and you’ll find that she elaborated by “theorizing it may be the risk-averse nature of a state built around agriculture,” which sounds like a polite way of hinting that farmers fear women in authority roles (a dubious suggestion given that other agricultural states have elected women).

Exit question one: The obvious climbdown here is to say that she wasn’t referring to southerners generally, just to Mississippians, although that merely limits the insult instead of erasing it. Given the decades-long knock on her as an elitist, that’s not an insult she can afford. So how exactly does she spin this? And exit question two: If this does gain traction in the media, how long will it be before we hear that mellifluous southern accent of hers again? Over/under is four days.

Update: Mississippi’s Republican Party is doing its best to give this some legs.

Comments

Hey, she had to move to New York to get elected to congress.

Question: Which state has the higher per capita number of intelligent people, New York or Arkansas?

Kowboy on October 23, 2007 at 4:51 PM

there wont BE any negative coverage of this except maybe on H&C and Billy O.

Blogs will haul it around like a kid running with scissors for a few days, but come Halloween it will be forgotten.

No Nets will pick it up and no national dailies will pick it up because in their collective judgement, Hillary gaffes are not news. Off limits.

Its only front page material if a Rep says it.

Go back to sleep, America. nothing to see here.

These arent the droids youre looking for.

Mike D. on October 23, 2007 at 4:52 PM

All I know is, I ain’t no ways tard of Hillary-bashing. It’s all deserved.

And Cankles is a big fan of something that sounds a lot like “communitarianism”.

ReubenJCogburn on October 23, 2007 at 4:52 PM

communitarianism

That is a scary word. The fact that I have never seen it before, scares me even more.

jihadwatcher on October 23, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Iowa is clearly part of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 23, 2007 at 4:55 PM

Hmmm, I’m pretty sure Hillary can write off the Mississippi vote and it won’t hurt her electoral chances. And anyway, besides Brett Favre, what the hell has Mississippi ever done for America?

Enrique on October 23, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Now way she thinks of herself as a Southerner. She looks down on us and spits on us in her mind. Yeah, it sounds like a knock on Mississippi, but also somewhat as a knock on Iowa for even bringing it up in the first place. She didn’t have to do that after all.

RW Wacko on October 23, 2007 at 4:57 PM

Mississippi is incidental. This speaks to Hillary’s elitism.

Allahpundit on October 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM

i dont know about anyone else, but personally i love taking shots at southerners. its practically a new york pastime

ernesto on October 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM

She ain’t in no way tir’d.

ScottMcC on October 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM

It sounded to me like Hillary was critisizing anyone who “Wont vote for a woman for president”

Doesnt get that its THIS woman we wont vote for.

She was using the gender card is all

William Amos on October 23, 2007 at 5:01 PM

She knows she isn’t going to win in any southern states. This doesn’t count Florida, which isn’t really southern culturally except when you get way, way out in the country, and that doesn’t count for many votes. So she really isn’t out anything.

Buford on October 23, 2007 at 5:01 PM

This is Hilary inadvertently letting a little of what she really thinks through her filter. Just like she said when she has a million ideas, but America can’t afford them all. And they are all going to come back to haunt her Fall 2008.

Clark1 on October 23, 2007 at 5:04 PM

You had me at communitarianism.

EQ1: She cackles it away.

EQ2: When’s her next appearance south of Cape May?

JammieWearingFool on October 23, 2007 at 5:04 PM

OK, now I’m lost. I thought that, when she said “Why is it that we always havin’ to clean up aftah ow’ men?” – she was actin’ Southin’?

I’m confused.

P.S. Is “communitarianism” the closest way for her to say “communism” – without saying “communism”?

I’m so confused.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 23, 2007 at 5:08 PM

communitarianism

jihadwatcher on October 23, 2007 at 4:54 PM

No kidding!

I’m pretty sure she won’t be winning the South.

CP on October 23, 2007 at 5:10 PM

ernesto on October 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Nothing you can say beats:

Your state elected Hitlery to congress.

Kowboy on October 23, 2007 at 5:10 PM

I shall guilt you into voting for me… note my sex organs!

DaveS on October 23, 2007 at 5:11 PM

I shall guilt you into voting for me… note my sex organs!

DaveS on October 23, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Don’t even think about trying to put that image in my head.

Hollowpoint on October 23, 2007 at 5:12 PM

It’s a shot at Southerners. It won’t cost her a thing.

Bryan on October 23, 2007 at 5:14 PM

ernesto on October 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Yes, and us Southern men love taking your women. lol

EnochCain on October 23, 2007 at 5:15 PM

uh oh, another Democrat tripped over their own tongue

tune in tonight to the evening news to find out………….nothing

Defector01 on October 23, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Mississippi is incidental. This speaks to Hillary’s elitism.

But that’s already well documented. All Hillary has to do to become President is win one more state than Bush did in 2004. And Mississippi ain’t that state. Hell, she can probably pick up votes by insulting Mississippi.

Enrique on October 23, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Well, its for sure Mississippi will no more vote for Hilary any more than San Francisco will lean republican any time soon. Hard to say if there are any portions of the South that Hilary, can realistically take at this point. Given the ignorant and cartoonish image most libs are wont to entertain of southerners, I can’t say I see much down side for the Dems right now. It saddens me to note as well, given the career of Jeff Foxworthy and the like, every one including the red-neck him self, beats up on red necks these days. Of course the South is much more than Nascar and I cannot qualify for blue collar my self, still, I can never in my life, remember it being this bad.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on October 23, 2007 at 5:18 PM

whaaaat? The South has always been a center for tolerance and progress,whether it be abolition, woman’s rights, or black’s rights! Blasphemy!

crr6 on October 23, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Off Topic – Evaced due to SD fires. Cut off fm SD County. Party of 2, have tent & basic kit, some supplies, low on funds. Trying to contact Red Cross w/NO JOY. Currently in Indio, figuring out options – need a place to go to. Out of state is not out the question – work has said I can work remote. Any help for a former squid and his better half would be extremely appreciated.

Allah – please keep this post. Thanks in advance,
Suihei Deloi
(homeless ronin)

Suihei Deloi on October 23, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Not to be outdone B. Hussein could start a new campaign for the South. “If y’all we’re such racists you’d vote for me”.

burnitup on October 23, 2007 at 5:26 PM

I too am amazed that both Mississippi and Iowa haven’t. They really need to rectify this by voting for this congentially lying, corrupt, communist female to right their historical errors.

Dusty on October 23, 2007 at 5:34 PM

crr6 on October 23, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Unlike the North that is free of all forms of bigotry..what a utopia it must be.

EnochCain on October 23, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Just read anything by Saul Alinsky and you will know Hillary backwards and forwards.

MNDavenotPC on October 23, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Enrique on October 23, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Well, there’s the aquaducts…

TexasDan on October 23, 2007 at 5:41 PM

New Bobby Brown mix:
“Not Her Prerogative

mojo on October 23, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Here is the source article in the Des Moines Register. I encourage you to read the comments. Drudge was linked to it so there will be comments from places other than Iowa. But try to get a feel for what the Iowans are saying.

What Hillary doesn’t understand is that we in Iowa are risk averse to HER! She didn’t want to campaign here and most of us didn’t want her here either. She can pack up any time and most of us wouldn’t miss her.

Terri on October 23, 2007 at 5:51 PM

She’s not making any friends in Iowa with this either…Buckeye rubes.

Valiant on October 23, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Mississippi’s governor, Haley Barbour, the former head of the RNC, did a great job in the aftermath of Katrina, unlike the Democratic governor of Louisiana. Who happened to be a woman.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 23, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Interesting that she would mention Mississippi in a negative context considering that it is the state which has the largest percentage (search ‘Mississippi’) of black Americans in proportion to the rest of the population.

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Mississippi needs to pay Electoral College reparations to Hillary

eeyore on October 23, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 23, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Agreed. And consider all of the wolf-cries of racism wrt to NOLA’s response to Katrina. Then consider what I posted at 6:04PM.

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 6:07 PM

This speaks to Hillary’s elitism.

Allahpundit on October 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM

This is exactly it. In one swipe, she disses both Iowa and Mississippi. It’s OK to stereotype southerners. Nobody cares and everybody laughs. We ain’t victims.

ThackerAgency on October 23, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Enrique on October 23, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Tammy Wynette, Sam Cook, Lester Young, Richard Wright, W.C. Handy, William Faulkner, Charley Patton, Jimmy Reed, Elmore James, Jimmy Rogers, Walter Payton, Ike Turner, Shelby Foote, John Lee Hooker, Eudora Welty, Big Bill Broonzy, Elvis Presley, Joanne Woodward, Muddy Waters, Tennessee Williams, Bo Diddley, Robert Johnson, Walter Anderson, Mississippi John Hurt, Dizzy Dean, Walker Percy, Skip James, Bo Carter, Fred McDowel……

Nyog_of_the_Bog on October 23, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Nyog_of_the_Bog on October 23, 2007 at 6:15 PM

Watch out! Enrique will fire back with:

1. Rats the size of cats.
2. Hospital waste washing ashore.
3. Lot’s of Muslims.

I’m sure that New York City has other things, too – all superior to what Mississippi has.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 23, 2007 at 6:19 PM

Ike Turner

You would have done well to leave that name out. :-)

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 6:20 PM

I don’t know why, but the word communitarianism scares the hell out of me…

Verbal Abuse on October 23, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Here’s another one: Oprah Winfrey. Despite what some may think of her, no one can deny that this native-daughter of Mississippi has done well for herself, to understate the matter.

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Shoot fire! Down here in Georgia we elected us a woman what we’re reaaaaaallll proud of. Naw, we ain’t backwards. Not by a long shot! Nosireeeee!

mugged on October 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Hillary’s been hanging out with Charlie ““Who the hell wants to live in Mississippi?”” Rangel. Remember Pickering’s response to him:

“Last year, Hurricane Katrina devastated the Mississippi Coast. We have been working hard not only to rebuild our own homes and communities, but also to repair and protect the network of refineries, pipelines, and transmission grids that supply energy, gas, and oil to the rest of the country, including New York. If Mr. Rangel believes those efforts required more than our fair share of federal money, he is welcome to send that energy back to our state and find an alternative supply…

INC on October 23, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Heh.

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 6:30 PM

I guess I should be defending my Southern heritage here, but rumor has it there are ‘suburban canoeists’ in the area, and my levergun needs cleaning.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 23, 2007 at 6:31 PM

As the arbiter of all things Southern, to the question, “Is Hillary prejudiced against Southerners?” I answer an emphatic yes.

But considering she married that no-account Arkansas white trash, can you blame her?

Ali-Bubba on October 23, 2007 at 6:33 PM

Hillary is an elite, a snob, someone who will always think she’s knows what’s best for everyone else.

She didn’t stay in the South, she didn’t even move back to the Midwest to Illinois where she grew up.

Of course, she was taking a shot at a Southerner. But as a Southerner I don’t feel discriminated against. I know she’ll take a shot at anyone who doesn’t see life the way she does–we’re all just backward in her eyes.

Every once in a while the real thinking in her mind comes out in her words.

INC on October 23, 2007 at 6:35 PM

mugged on October 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Who is this “we,” kemosabe?

Ali-Bubba on October 23, 2007 at 6:36 PM

satire

mugged on October 23, 2007 at 6:41 PM

It’s as if as she gazed into Iowa’s eyes, Iowa asked “Why do women work anyway?”

communitarianism? What’s up with that sh&*, comrade?

pedestrian on October 23, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Q: Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communitarian Party?
A: I went to a few meetings in college, but it was for a girl. I was tryin’ to get laid. They kicked me out for arguing.

tommylotto on October 23, 2007 at 7:00 PM

When the polls start to tighten up you can expect the Clinton campaign to attack the general electorate as being sexist. The only reason we haven’t seen it up to now is that she’s leading in the polls. This latest rubbish is a message to Iowa voters: “If you don’t vote for me, you’re sexist”. We’ll start seeing this message from Clinton wherever the polling numbers are tight.

jaime on October 23, 2007 at 7:13 PM

baldilocks on October 23, 2007 at 6:20 PM

I won’t excuse Ike’s personal behavior on the unimaginably deprived childhood he no doubt had, but I might, suggest, in regards to Tina and a Certain Hollywood movie, that only one side of a story has been told. I would only add that, if you have only heard, the Los Angeles stuff, (Rollin’ on a River), then you don’t know what he did. Start with his Memphis phaze, “Rockin’ 88″ then check out what he did in St. Louis on his “Sue” Label. Songs with Tina and the Ikettes (Ike and Tina Turner Revue) like: “A Fool in Love” “I Idolize You.” and “I’m Blue” You might check out as well, some of the Ikettes tunes, without Tina, which feature (I think) Venetta Fields such as “The Camel Walk”,(its easy to do!) “Peaches and Cream”, “I Can’t Sit Down.” and “Sally Go Round the Roses”.

By the time he gets to L.A. its over for him. (he’s been going since the late 40s) Tina has convinced him his own stuff, because it has not sold well, is no good, and to cover White Bands such as the Beatles and CCR. He even appears on some lp covers with straightened a beatle hair cut. Of course, just the opposite was true, and Ike needn’t have taken a back seat to any one other than Ray Charles. But you won’t ever hear that from Tina who as every one knows, was blessed with eternal youth and million dollar gams.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on October 23, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Communitarianism: Humanitarian Communism.

What a skillful propogandicator!

Dork B. on October 23, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Note that the root word for communitarianism is commune a form of social structure that seems to appeal to her and her fellow vast-left-wing-conspiracy-communitarians.

If she becomes president can sugar cane fields be far behind?

pocomoco on October 23, 2007 at 7:24 PM

What a skillful propogandicator!
Dork B. on October 23, 2007 at 7:17 PM

DorkB,

An excellent example of coining a word for a coined word.

pocomoco on October 23, 2007 at 7:34 PM

I will add my own home state of West Viginia has only ever elected ONE female to the US house. And that was a republican female Shelly Capito.

William Amos on October 23, 2007 at 7:39 PM

ernesto on October 23, 2007 at 4:59 PM

You’re the reason we still make fun of Yankees.
As far as Hillary goes, she’s just shooting herself in the foot when she opens her mouth like that. Verbal ammunition is all it is.

Tennessee Dave on October 23, 2007 at 7:49 PM

Maybe she will go into a WAL*MART in the South and ask to get her a “huntin’ license” to make up for it? And then eat some grits, with a solid silver fork while holding her pinky out.

Neo on October 23, 2007 at 7:57 PM

pocomoco on October 23, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Thanks, Pocomoco! Next time I’ll spell it correctly…

Dork B. on October 23, 2007 at 8:10 PM

There are a considerable number of famous Mississippians who’ve contributed to this great nation in one way or another. I am surprised at the state’s contribution to music is so deep, but then again that’s probably because I’d never paid much attention to it.

A quick skim through this list, here’s some other names that caught my eye and I recognized right off the bat: Hodding Carter III, Medgar Evers, William Faulkner, Shelby Foote, John Grisham, Jim Henson, James Earl Jones, Archie Manning, Mary Ann Mobley (Holy cow!), Walter Peyton, Rod Paige, Leontyne Price, Jerry Rice, Frederick W. Smith (Fed-Ex), Ida B. Wells-Barnett, and yeah, Oprah Winfrey.

Dusty on October 23, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Communitarianism as a group of related but distinct philosophies began in the late 20th century, opposing individualism while advocating phenomena such as civil society. Not necessarily hostile to social liberalism or even social democracy, communitarianism emphasizes the interest of communities and societies over those of the individual

From Wiki…

Wow… values the society over the individual… how un American can you get?

Romeo13 on October 23, 2007 at 8:38 PM

The update with a link to Politico has these gems:

ALSO: Mississippi Democratic Party spokesman says, “Our official comment is, we decline to comment.”

and in the comments:

I am female and democrat. This pulling of the gender thing is a slap in the face to all women. We have the talent and intelligence to achieve what we want without stooping to the gender card by the likes of Hillary clinton who got where she is not by talent or intelligence but, through a man and a last name. Nepotism means nothing. She doesn’t deserve any woman’s respect as she did not earn her career or even to be taken seriously as a candidate. When she has employed her intellect it is always a demonstration of bad judgment and lack of leadership abilities. I refuse to vote for this woman as she has done nothing to prove she is worth my vote. Being married to someone is not worth my vote. A woman who has actually achieved by her own self deserves my vote. And this is why I find it abhorrent that the press promotes this phoney as a serious candidate and inevitable. She has done nothing to deserve this media fawning.

I couldn’t have said it better myself, except for one thing: I’m not a Democrat.

INC on October 23, 2007 at 8:49 PM

I wonder, what will Hillary do if she isn’t elected President?

Kralizec on October 23, 2007 at 9:08 PM

I wonder, what will Hillary do if she isn’t elected President?

Continue to f-up NY.

JiangxiDad on October 23, 2007 at 9:16 PM

I wonder, what will Hillary do if she isn’t elected President?

It certainly won’t be baking Chinese fortune cookies!

pocomoco on October 23, 2007 at 9:19 PM

If Hillary is elected POTUS, Mississippi is moving to Canada…

d1carter on October 23, 2007 at 9:42 PM

Hillary=Rudiani in drag

saved on October 23, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Well, there’s the aquaducts…

TexasDan on October 23, 2007 at 5:41 PM

That wasn’t wasted, Texas Dan :) Thanks for the reminder.

mikeyboss on October 23, 2007 at 11:19 PM

Not to worry, The Clenis will provide her with some elitist bigotry offsets.

csdeven on October 24, 2007 at 12:40 AM

I’s sayin’ nothin’. The woman is fixin’ to be dangerous.

Entelechy on October 24, 2007 at 2:53 AM

Cankles in Southern is “butterchurn legs”–they get bigger as they go down.

Barntender on October 24, 2007 at 8:47 AM

“The smartest woman in the world”? Well, I live in Arkansas, and I’ll match wits with that hellhag anytime, anyplace.

I’m Southern born (NC) and Southern bred, and when I die, I’ll be Southern dead! Hell, I sit in the bathtub and sing “Dixie.” And my favorite saint is Marse Robert! Live with it, Shrillary.

Ignorant Mensan on October 24, 2007 at 10:31 AM