Yon to media: Will you publish the truth about Iraq if I give it to you for free?

posted at 8:45 am on October 22, 2007 by Allahpundit

No joke. So despairing is he of the gap between what he’s seeing on the ground versus what he’s seeing in the papers, especially in Basra, that he’s offering his reports and photos to the National Newspaper Association at no charge. But he needs your help, in two ways:

Using the lessons learned from “Bless the Beasts,” it probably won’t be enough just to make the news I am reporting available to NNA-member publications at no cost. There may need to be a little irritating sand in order to get a pearl out of this oyster…

[R]eaders can first check to see if their local paper is a member of the NNA… If their local paper is a member of NNA, readers can contact the editor, urging their participation. [If Bob Owens’ experience is a reliable indicator, this might take several, uh, prompts.] By encouraging their local daily or weekly newspapers to reprint these dispatches in their print editions, more people without internet access can begin to see a more accurate reflection of the progress I have observed and chronicled in dispatches like “Achievements of the Heart,” “7 Rules: 1 Oath,” “The Hands of God,” and “Three Marks on the Horizon.”

He’s also planning to pay for his dispatches to be translated into 17 languages. Why do that?

As I travel around the world, I see that even many of our close allies have a false impression of American soldiers as brutally oppressive towards people. Even our great friends in Singapore and the United Kingdom, and the pro-American people on the island of Bali, Indonesia, think we are savaging people. This loss of moral leadership will be costly to Americans on many fronts for many generations to come…

We represent only about 5% of the world population. What those other nineteen people think about America is truly very important to each one of us. We cannot afford to let the media around the world continue promulgating so many recycled misconceptions about our soldiers and the character of our nation.

Which brings us to his second request: in order to pay for all this, he figures he’ll need $100,000 in donations. WaPo is reporting this morning that Petraeus is planning to shift his focus soon from Al Qaeda in Iraq to the Shiite militias — including, somewhat ominously, an initiative towards “political accommodation” — all of which will bear most heavily on Baghdad and Basra, where Yon’s been spending most of his time lately. If you’re willing and able to help keep him going, here’s his PayPal.

Comments

How much is Scott Thomas Beauchamp charging these days for his dispatches?

saint kansas on October 22, 2007 at 8:58 AM

Gives new meaning to the term ‘freelancer’. No need to express my indignation of the media to my fellow HotHeads, that’d be singin’ to the choir.

Tony737 on October 22, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Why should the MSM publish something for free, when they get terrorist-friendly money under the table (just my hunch, here, folks) for publishing enemy propaganda?

Halley on October 22, 2007 at 9:08 AM

Corpus Christi Caller-Times is not a member of NNA. What can we do down here to get the word out?

pullingmyhairout on October 22, 2007 at 9:17 AM

Is that PayPal link working. I’m getting PayPay Page not found.

Canadian Infidel on October 22, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Of course they will NOT, the media’s problem isn’t an inability to gather the news, their problem is their commie worldview.

Maxx on October 22, 2007 at 9:41 AM

I recently bought Yon’s book “Danger Close” at his website. It was a great read.

MikeZero on October 22, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Media to Yon: Fat chance, bub, it doesn’t fit inside our narrative.

Vyce on October 22, 2007 at 9:58 AM

I checked out the list and was very surprised. The AJC (Atlanta Journal Constipation) is not on the list and neither is any newspaper from Columbus, GA, which is home to the 3rd BDE 3ID, however there is one newspaper in Hinesville, which is the home for the other 2 brigades of the 3ID. Although I think the newspapers in those towns do a better job of reporting since they are serving a military community then other places.
I guess everybody takes whatever the AP spoon feeds them and just acts as an echo chamber.

LakeRuins on October 22, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Won’t happen. They don’t want to hear it. They don’t want the public to hear it. The media is not interested in the truth, from anyone. They’re interested in what furthers their own biases, misconceptions, and beliefs about what should be.

I like Yon’s blog, but it’d be like Michelle offering to be Bush’s press secretary on immigration affairs. Bush isn’t interested in an intelligent discourse, only his own political ambition on the matter. So it goes with the MSM. It’s an exclusive club, and if you don’t agree with their side of it, you’re not in it. Just ask John Stossel.

MadisonConservative on October 22, 2007 at 10:06 AM

Good luck to Yon with this, but man it won’t be easy. His reporting is not only an accurate, non-biased description of events on the ground, but it’s very gripping and engaging to read as well. Unfortunately those first two things aren’t really sought after in news outlets with an agenda.

MikeZero on October 22, 2007 at 9:58 AM

I wasn’t sure if I was going to make that my next book, but based off of your review I think I will.

BadgerHawk on October 22, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Is that PayPal link working. I’m getting PayPay Page not found.

Canadian Infidel on October 22, 2007 at 9:35 AM

Same here. Link not working.

RW Wacko on October 22, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Doesn’t fit in with the march to universal socialism or the insatiable need for bad news in order to sell papers.

It’s a tossup as to which is more important to the papers…

Militant Bibliophile on October 22, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Is this the very same Michael Yon who did not exactly have the same admirable “let’s get the news out” attitude a short while ago when it was those with a different side of things who wanted to tell about what they saw?
Michael Yon: “It’s amazing that a dozen ex-captains who apparently served in Iraq – only one of them recently – are so out of touch with the situation.

They’ve shamefully added their names to what amounts to a petition published in the Washington Post. Big questions: Who actually authored this Op-ed? How did these dozen captains get their names tied to it?

If people like Bob Owens and the “Army of Davids” get interested in this, we’ll likely get some answers.

Would be very interesting to know what specifically each of these captains did in Iraq, how they were viewed by their peers and what they are doing today. Did they come up with the idea for this article themselves, or did someone write it perhaps, then round up a posse of disgruntled ex-officers who would put their name to it?
He did not want to hear diddley squat from 12 “shameful” former U.S. Army Captains and did not think that they had any credibility or even any business speaking up, so why should I listen to him now? Oh I know because he is gung ho for the war. He would get more respect from me and more willingnesses from me to read what he had to say if he believed in for others what he wants for himself. Funny how that works with some people.

MB4 on October 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Oh I know because he is gung ho for the war.

Maybe you don’t know.

deesine on October 22, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Maybe you don’t know.

deesine on October 22, 2007 at 3:26 PM

He don’t know what he don’t know and he don’t want to know anyone who knows what he don’t know.
- “Mark Twain”

MB4 on October 22, 2007 at 3:33 PM

- “Mark Twain”

MB4 on October 22, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Michael goes to Iraq in an attempt to know. Your quote applies more to you than him.

deesine on October 22, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Your quote applies more to you him than him to the 12 former U.S. Army Captains.

deesine on October 22, 2007 at 4:26 PM

MB4 on October 22, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Lake Ruins

Hi, Lake Ruins..another Atlantan here. I’m not surprised that the Al Jazeera Constitution is not a member of the NNA. Besides, would you really expect the Editorial Exec, Cynthia Tucker, allow anything right of Cynthia McKinney to be even considered for the rag they call a newspaper? We’re out of luck here in Atlanta.

MsUnderestimated on October 22, 2007 at 6:42 PM

It’s kind of pointless to put words in his mouth when you’ve just quoted his exact words. Look harder. Maybe he called them “phony soldiers” somewhere in there.

viking999 on October 22, 2007 at 6:51 PM

viking999 on October 22, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Words in his mouth? So you somehow draw a differing conclusion from his own words? How quaint.

MB4 on October 22, 2007 at 7:12 PM

MB4 on October 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM

Uh, re-read it MB4, or at least read what is in bold above.

It seems clear he was upset about someone running their mouth over something that may have been true when they were in-country, but was no longer true at the time of publication of their little “story”.

I’ve followed Yon since he first started his reporting. He has been back and forth to Iraq several times, spending considerable time on the ground with combat units, not at their camps but with the unit in firefights. He has been all over the country, and has reported good and bad. He has been embedded with both US units, and in coalition force units.

…all done with donations.

I would give Michael Yon a damn sight more credibility than any other yahoo “reporting” from either the war in Iraq or in Afghanistan, since he has been there as well.

91Veteran on October 23, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Uh, re-read it MB4, or at least read what is in bold above.

91Veteran on October 23, 2007 at 12:11 AM

I already read his words and understood them all. Maybe you should reread his words. If you can not pick up on his contemptuous dismissal of the 12 former U.S. Army Captains and his contemptuous dismissal of their right to speak, then I don’t know what to say to you.

91Veteran on October 23, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Call me parochial, but I have got to put at least as much more weight on the 12 former U.S. Army Captains views than that of a reporter, any reporter.

MB4 on October 23, 2007 at 12:44 AM

running their mouth

91Veteran on October 23, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Running their mouth = Saying something that he, or you, does not like?

Not in my part of America.

MB4 on October 23, 2007 at 12:58 AM

MB4 on October 23, 2007 at 12:44 AM

not parochial… just not informed. Just because you’re a captain doesn’t mean you have a clue about anything and neither does going to Iraq. I have gone twice and seen (enlisted and officer) spend a week there, get sick, get a family emergency,… etc… and go home. I recently saw one of those wearing a combat patch and telling a new LT about when they were “downrange”… I have also seen some go for a year and never leave the wire except to get to the FOB and come home. Perspectives vary depending on your loction and time you are there. My two deployments were vastly different experiences and when I traveled… some areas were totally normal… others, not so much.

This “Current” U.S. Army Captain seems to think that Yon’s opinions are spot on. Sorry if they don’t fit the lens you view the world through. I thought he was right when he said (to the gov’t displeasure) that Iraq was in a ‘civil war’… MONTHS before the MSM/Democrat complex started to trumpet it from the hills far and wide. Yon is out there every day, he travels to other units all over Iraq and Afghanistan, he has been there longer than any Soldier or CPT, and he was SF… I cetainly trust his opinion over your opinion of somebody elses opinion.

BadBrad on October 23, 2007 at 7:47 AM