Gitmo jihadi not sure why he was released — but promises to pick up where he left off

posted at 7:24 pm on October 22, 2007 by Allahpundit

Meet Sadeq Mohammed Saeed. He spent six years in the pen after he was caught recovering at an Afghan hospital following a battle during the U.S. invasion in 2001 — at the tender age of 17. His brother, a former jihadist himself and currently an “Islamic activist” and “mosque speaker,” talks openly of his support for Bin Laden and the Taliban (“But I’m also calling for dialogue and respect of rights and freedoms for all, and I’m against violence and coercion”). He was extradited to Yemen in June for reasons unknown even to him but which I suspect have much to do with, ahem, improving America’s image in the world, and then released by Yemeni authorities two weeks ago.

You want the punchline?

I’m not sure if you can handle the punchline.

According to Sadeq since leaving their families he and his companions had been performing a holy duty, or Jihad, and he vowed that they would continue to do so for as long as they lived.

“I traveled to Pakistan and from there to Afghanistan where I joined one of the Taliban battle lines, May Allah support them to protect Islam, and then what happened, happened,” he said. He did not speak about personal physical abuse in the detention center; instead he concentrated on the religious abuses, which he claims all detainees witnessed.

“The abuses were religious abuses, reviling God, the Prophet Mohammed and his companions and the believers. Some brothers were exposed to psychological and physical torture because they are Muslims. There were a lot of abuses and I don’t remember them but it is enough to say there were religious abuses and reviling Allah, his prophet and the believers,” he said…

Saqed’s family said they are currently consulting with American lawyers and human rights activists to file a law suit against the American government to demand fair compensation for the damages inflicted on their son who lost one of his eyes because of inadequate treatment…

“The only reason I know for being detained is that I’m Muslim, and I do not know any other thing. Now I do not know why they released me. This is at the hand of Allah.” [Sadeq] speculated.

Note how casually he connects jihad to his Islamic identity. He was picked up by U.S. troops for waging war on them in a war zone and he’s mystified as to why; to him, that sort of thing is simply what Muslims do, no different than being arrested for praying at the mosque, really. Commit his name to memory: odds are he’ll be turning up on another battlefield or as part of a terror cell somewhere and you’ll want that little mental bell to go off when he does so that you might properly express your feelings about it to our political leaders.

Exit question: How good do you feel right now about America’s image being improved with his release? Pretty darned good, I’m betting.

Comments

I’ll feel even better once the ACLU takes up the case pro bono to help this freedom fighter get some sweet, sweet justice.

BadgerHawk on October 22, 2007 at 7:29 PM

*Sniff*

I’m proud to be an American again!

/snark

Slublog on October 22, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Less safe.

amerpundit on October 22, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Good, hopefully we’ll kill him next time.

Tony737 on October 22, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Did his medical care include RFID tagging? and if not, why not?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on October 22, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Wow, those Kuwaiti PR dollars are really getting their money’s worth.

see-dubya on October 22, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Did his medical care include RFID tagging? and if not, why not?

Damn good idea.

BacaDog on October 22, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Trace poison in his farewell dinner, that kills slowly, just as his own Mohammad the “prophet” died, would be most Islamic.

profitsbeard on October 22, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Woohoo !!!

elgeneralisimo has never felt so… French…

elgeneralisimo on October 22, 2007 at 8:10 PM

I’m positively Frenchified.

We better have GPS coordinates on him, and a JDAM with his name on it the moment he gets back into the fold.

steveegg on October 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Our image will be imporved to the point of replacing the Eagle and Arrows with the Red Cresent.

Helloyawl on October 22, 2007 at 8:23 PM

There really isn’t any comment that I am inclined to make that won’t haunt me forever in a Google cache, so I’ll leave it like this: no purer form of vindication for Bush and the proponents of the war could possibly exist, unless we found an armed nuclear device in Fallujah surrounded by bottles of bubonic plague spores.

Jaibones on October 22, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Yo, a madrassa education was available was probably what he got. What he knows and his talent for speculation is likely taxed to excess deciding what to eat in the morning.

My guess is his release is tied to the GPS chip embedded in his throat. Keep digging, boy, ’til you find it.

Dusty on October 22, 2007 at 8:31 PM

The world as a whole has been playing America for a sucker for the last 60 years. Who expects that to change anytime soon?

Griz on October 22, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Great analysis.

Buy Danish on October 22, 2007 at 8:49 PM

Commit his name to memory: odds are he’ll be turning up on another battlefield or as part of a terror cell somewhere…

No problem. A guy with a beard whose name is Mohammed. I think I can remember that.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 22, 2007 at 9:19 PM

lock and load.

shooter on October 22, 2007 at 9:33 PM

I think he was the model for the new CIA “Terror Busters” logo.

robblefarian on October 22, 2007 at 9:42 PM

He looks like Allah Jemima to me

400lb Gorilla on October 22, 2007 at 10:52 PM

I find it interesting that, in detailing the “abuses” that he suffered at Gitmo, 1) he cannot recall them, but is sure they occurred:

and 2) the “abuses” he does detail are all about insulting Allah and the prophet. If torture now includes expressing one’s opinion about Allah and Mohammed, then everything is torture. Stupid.

nailinmyeye on October 22, 2007 at 11:03 PM

Showing the commitment and dedication the U.S. Government won’t do.

infidel4life on October 23, 2007 at 12:14 AM

…he and his companions had been performing a holy duty, or Jihad, and he vowed that they would continue to do so for as long as they lived.

Does the solution to this mohammed problem not just jump off the screen at anyone else?

Woahhs on October 23, 2007 at 1:15 AM

I’ll feel a lot better once our troops ventillate this a$$hole on his next jihad.

Texas Nick 77 on October 23, 2007 at 5:19 AM

Dusty on October 22, 2007 at 8:31 PM

If it isn’t spelled out in the koran, they don’t know how to deal with it. Logic and reasoning are beyond all followers of that camel-humper “Mo” (Beany propellor hat upon him).

Texas Nick 77 on October 23, 2007 at 5:24 AM

Woahhs on October 23, 2007 at 1:15 AM

They desire to meet allah. Our job is to expedite the meeting.

Texas Nick 77 on October 23, 2007 at 5:27 AM

“There were a lot of abuses and I don’t remember them…”

That’s ok son, that’s what lawyers are for.

tgillian on October 23, 2007 at 7:09 AM

Why is it they can “tag” a whale to follow its migration but they can’t “tag” a terrorist to follow him?

Bicyea on October 23, 2007 at 7:33 AM

There were a lot of abuses and I don’t remember them

Translation: I was given a list of abuses to recite but have forgotten them, so take my word for it. I’m not lying, really I’m not.

srhoades on October 23, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Not great. We capture someone who admits to Taliban affiliation and yet we can’t find enough evidence to charge him. Either we need better prosecutors, or we need to raise our standard for detentions. Holding this guy for this long and then releasing him is worse than if we’d never arrested him in the first place.

Mark Jaquith on October 23, 2007 at 12:05 PM

He didn’t “lose” an eye. That’s where the surveillance video camera is installed.

TexasDan on October 23, 2007 at 2:08 PM

In hindsight, they should have done away with all of them on the spot they found them. I know they say we received vital intelligence over the years from them; but they’ve been more trouble than keeping them alive was worth. I am certain after the original debacle of detaining them, the % of “live” enemy combatants with US forces went down. Lesson learned; thanks ACLU for teaching us the right way.

apostle53 on October 23, 2007 at 2:54 PM